ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Davis Visit - NOW WITH POLL

Will he come to Carolina?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kudos to the staff and our current guys for knocking another visit out of the park, RJ is now the second commitment that we have gotten in this class along with Kessler that we weren't viewed as the perceived leaders coming in, but after being on campus the two knew right away that Carolina was the right fit.

RJ is a great get as a kid who checks all the boxes both on and off the court, has really upped his game over the last year and exactly the player that will provide us with needed stability in our backcourt for the next few years.

Great Point on the OV, UNC at best was in 3rd place before the OV. I said it last week the importance of Cole Anthony on players from the Tri-State area will be felt for many years to come!

I'm kind of surprised that the seven experts who voted "no" on the poll haven't come back and change their pic. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: j-doolsheels
People on these boards often throw out that response. Sometimes it's right sometimes it's clearly wrong. So, no, I will not assume that a player has character flaws or handlers or whatever, unless or until someone "spells it out." These are just kids.

Of course you are free to think and assume whatever you like. But asking me to enumerate publicly the reason(s) why he is not being recruited by UNC is inconsistent with your premise of not assuming a recruit has character flaws.

I do not know that he does or does not have those. What I do know, is that he is not going to be UNC player, and to make the reasons public would be a disservice to him, his family, the program, and even myself personally. If you want to carry on with this, I am sure there are others who may know the backstory with this young man, and will spill it, thereby satisfying your need to know.

I voted "No" and I stick by it. RJ will not announce for the Heels! Get back to me when he commits, son!

Welcome to the Family, Mr. Davis!

Reactions: Steat
Just got a feeling in a few years there will be multiple threads about RJ being our starting PG. I love the fact we have 5 star PGs coming in, but I also know that they leave very early to. If RJ is the player I think he could be, by his Junior and senior year he might be the face or at least the leader of our team. Great pick up!!!

Reactions: NorCalTarheel
I see this as really good for Jeremiah, too. If we assume he gets back to 100% on just the physical recovery side of things, he still needs to shed 2 years of rust. How great it will be to be able to practice against really good PGs and ease back into games gently.

Then when Caleb goes pro, Roy still has a solid 2-PG offense with RJ and Francis.
And optimally, this is how things will shake out.

The problem I saw with the Berry/Britt back court was first, Nate just was not real aggressive with the ball and we were not a great defensive back court in part due to being so small. I was more on board with bringing is a longer sweet jump shooting 2, we still may so we need to wait and see. Where Nate became just a catch and shoot guy, Davis does seem more able to create his own shot and more willing than some of our longer 2 guards have been, Kenny for example.
RJ is much quicker than Nate was and his ballhandling skills are such that he can easily create space to get his shot off. In fact, he's better at that than Joel was. Now whether he will have the bulldog personality and leadership skills Joel did is yet to be determined. But he's a very good student and by all accounts a fine young man. I think he was a necessary pickup, given the uncertainty of Jeremiah's recovery. He will provide the all important continuity at PG we need.

You guys are worrying too much about his height. First of all, this is college we're talking about, not the NBA, and second, he's got long arms, so he'll play a bit taller. Berry was about the same height, but not as long, and I don't think he was as good a shooter coming out of high school as Davis is, either. I suspect UNC fans are gonna be really happy about having this kid.
Yeah, his height doesn't concern be one bit. It will be an issue at the next level, not at the collegiate level.

I am not going to spell it out for you. Just try to read between the lines. If the staff tells a recruit that they will not be recruiting him, there are red flags somewhere.
I recently heard something similar that his dad supposedly said at an event. If you see a kid from Derm with his size and skillset, and neither UNC nor dook gets involved with him, that's a huge red flag right there.

traders-are-seeing-a-big-red-flag-for-oil.jpg

^^ Arch, great all-around post. If Hall’s situation doesn’t pass Roy’s smell test, then there’s something evidently wrong.

If he doesn’t get a dook offer, then he’s simply not good enough to warrant pulling such strings. The Williamsons will get a beautiful property for 9 months, but the family of a measly Top-40 prospect is simply not going to get the same preferential treatment.

Well, the father sounds like a jerk. But Roy is a good teacher, so I don't see that as a reason to reject the son, even if the kid was raised by a jerk. With only a couple of rare exceptions, kids who come here become part of the family very quickly.

OTOH, if the father would force the son to reject our offer, then shame on him.

His father arrogance is not one of the reasons I would be guessing.

It's really a moot point because Roy has not offered the kid.

This will have a lasting impact on future classes. Getting a 3-4 year PG makes Roy’s life so much easier. It’s fortunate we’ve been able to reload at that position after Joel, Coby, Cole, and now Caleb. But man, that’s stress. Knowing RJ is in the mix for the next 4 really eases that.
Amen. The recruiting part of coaching has to be a real ball buster. With kids who think they're better than they are, family members who think their son is better than he really is, shady AAU coaches/wannabe handlers telling kids they're better than they really are, and the lure of big time money, It's nigh impossible for college coaches to know what a recruit is going to do. They earn their money.
OK, Kessler is ranked #15 in the nation. We are now hypothesizing that he could play the 3, 4 or 5. Yet somehow he is not OAD? I'm having a little trouble wrapping my brain around that.
I know you didn't suggest he would, but I see very little chance that Kessler plays any SF for UNC.
There's a North Carolina kid being recruited by Louisville, NC State and others. #41 Josh Hall. 6'9, 190. From the clips he's a long, smooth, shot blocker, decent passer with a good handle; plus he has an excellent short jumper (i.e., he's a zone buster).

I think he's been mentioned here before. Is there some reason why we aren't looking at him? Or is it just because we thought we were getting Ziaire?
Certainly checks all the boxes from strictly a talent POV.
I am not going to spell it out for you. Just try to read between the lines. If the staff tells a recruit that they will not be recruiting him, there are red flags somewhere.
Tarheel75 didn't say the kid has a bad attitude, that he has handlers who are too involved, or anything of the sort, @What Would Jesus Do?. But I, along with at least one other poster, have heard rumors that his dad may be an issue. It really doesn't matter though, because neither dook nor UNC have pursued this young man. To reiterate, if neither of those schools tries to recruit a local guy with the skillset that Hall possesses, it speaks volumes to me.

Maybe he just dislikes the color blue.

I'm kind of surprised that the seven experts who voted "no" on the poll haven't come back and change their pic. LOL
I think at least one voted "no" after RJ made his decision.

Obviously, we'd like to have some help at SF. With the abundance of guards we have, I'd think Leaky and Pierce can hold down the SF spot this year and expect Leaky to play 30 MPG there next year. I imagine we'll take Bryce and/or Zaire if either/both want to come. If neither comes, the GT option is always available.

I'd like to see Puff follow his brother to UNC. Then we'd have continuity there for the next 3-4 years. Unfortunately, I believe he's AU bound.

I'm surprised RJ Davis turned down a starting slot at Marquette and Pitt to backup for us. He must have major faith in Roy Williams developing him.
Would you really rather go be a good starter at a low-tier P5 school than be 6th/7th man at a blue blood? That’s probably his floor at UNC.

I’d rather go to the blue blood I think. I suspect it’d be much more fun, give you access to better coaching and teammates, and afterwards you have the “4 year UNC basketball player” on your resume plus all the connections that come with that.

If we hadn't signed Love for next year, there is little doubt in my mind that DJ would likely start at PG as a freshman. As it is, with Leaky needing to play serious minutes(at least 20 MPG) at SF, it won't surprise me if RJ gets 7-8 MPG at PG right off the bat. He will most likely start at PG as a sophomore.

He reminds me a little of another PG we had from New York many years ago. He's not the ballhandler Easy Ed was(nobody we've ever had was), and probably not the passer either, but he is a very good ballhandler, a good passer, and a much better scorer than Ed was. Both have very similar builds and possess that New York moxie.

I'm saying it now. Davis will be a star at UNC. We're gonna love this kid. I guarantee it. It's one thing to pass through for a year or 2 ( which is fine, BTW), but it's a whole different deal to come and stay 3-4 years. As a UNC fan, that's what is truly special to me.

Reactions: Archer2 and tarwhiz
I'm saying it now. Davis will be a star at UNC. We're gonna love this kid. I guarantee it. It's one thing to pass through for a year or 2 ( which is fine, BTW), but it's a whole different deal to come and stay 3-4 years. As a UNC fan, that's what is truly special to me.
I agree. None of my favorite UNC players were here less than 3 years. Zero.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
A Junior in Roy's system, if they develope will be better than "most" freshman. Of course a Cole Anthony or a player of his caliber is going to see the floor regardless.

RJ with a 3.8 GPA is smart enough to know by his Junior year or maybe even sophomore year will be challenging anybody for a starting spot.

I agree. None of my favorite UNC players were here less than 3 years. Zero.
I tend to agree and mostly feel the same. When they are here 3-4 years, it just gives you more time to connect with them and watch them develop their game. With that said, if I had to pick a guy that I really liked who was here a short time it definitely would be Marvin Williams. He is exactly what you want with a OAD type kid.

Reactions: Archer2
Of course you are free to think and assume whatever you like. But asking me to enumerate publicly the reason(s) why he is not being recruited by UNC is inconsistent with your premise of not assuming a recruit has character flaws.

I do not know that he does or does not have those. What I do know, is that he is not going to be UNC player, and to make the reasons public would be a disservice to him, his family, the program, and even myself personally. If you want to carry on with this, I am sure there are others who may know the backstory with this young man, and will spill it, thereby satisfying your need to know.

Yeah, kinda got in a discussion here about this kid a few months ago, think the guys I was talking about him with were a bit perplexed as to why I was not high on him. Now true, I am not as sold on him as a player as many are but there was a few tidbits that maybe didn't set real well with me. I have learned that sometimes it is more about how a kid fits than his talent, it isn't like we have got the best of the best talent in the last several years at very least not to the level that duke or Ky has. But we have (Roy) done a GREAT job of winning with who we had because the individual parts fit together to form great teams.

I think it fair to suggest, the fit for this kid just doesn't work, for several reasons. Larry Drew for example, was a very talented player but he in no way fit UNC and again, for a lot of reasons. IN any event, clear that Roy has taken a pass on this kid that is in our back yard and you know he does not do that to a kid he feels good about.

As for Josh Hall, the kid may fall in the category of "This is a recruitment that North Carolina does not normally win".....a code phrase that many insiders use for a variety of red flags that they never disclose to the masses.

I could throw a couple of guesses on what I perceive as the problems, but it may upset some folks.

Not one of the guesses, but his dad has a massive ego and has been parading around making it known that Josh is definitely OAD.

At Peach Jam his dad threw out a quote along the lines of:

" My son is one of the best players in the country and one of the best programs in North Carolina refuses to make an offer to my son because they don't want to be embarrassed when my son turns them down"

This is not a Carolina Way kid....next!

Steat, let me give a math lesson.

Hall's dad = McCants dad = does not = UNC, I LUV MAFF! LOL

Reactions: Steat
Stoked for RJ and stoked to have him committed to the Heels. Like people have been saying I’m glad we’re going to have some more continuity at the 1. We are freakin stacked there. I think he’s going to be a rock to the team for the next few years and hopefully continue his excellent shooting stroke.

He was also considering playing for dookies Capel and wojo, which ain’t happenin!!!!!
:):):):):)

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT