ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Davis Visit - NOW WITH POLL

Will he come to Carolina?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They can put on all the dog and pony shows they want but the reality is the Sooners aren't going to do much winning. They finished in the bottom half of the Big 12 last season. If their pitch is stay home,we'll put the ball in your hands and you can take 25+ shots a game like Trae Young that's fine but he isn't winning surrounded by a roster of 3 star players. Go look at their recruiting classes and tell me how they're going to win. The year Trae Young was there the NCAA gifted them a NCAA tournament birth to get him in the tournament only to watch them go home after 1 game.
Cant argue too much....but the Sooners put together a pretty good class last year....Haven't wanted to seem foolish by posting this because apparently he blew up and had an awesome summer, but I've watched Thompson play a few times during his HS season and am suprised by all the love (I know some wont like this)...I thought the Phipps kid (OU commit) was the better player, not saying Thompson was bad, but never thought 5 star UNC target.

He will have every opportunity to compete for playing time.
And a very good chance of starting for 3 years at UNC, vs 4 years at Marquette or Pitt. He might even start for us as a frosh in a 2-PG back court.

If I'm RJ, that calculation looks good for UNC. Especially given that Roy has a reputation for being good with PGs and running an offense that depends heavily on them.

RJ may be too small to play in the NBA (although maybe he will surprise), but he definitely looks like he will play for pay somewhere. A better college coach and a better college team can't hurt when it comes to attracting the attention of a better foreign team and earning more money at the next level.

Cant argue too much....but the Sooners put together a pretty good class last year....Haven't wanted to seem foolish by posting this because apparently he blew up and had an awesome summer, but I've watched Thompson play a few times during his HS season and am suprised by all the love (I know some wont like this)...I thought the Phipps kid (OU commit) was the better player, not saying Thompson was bad, but never thought 5 star UNC target.
Yeah he really rocketed up the charts over the last year from 60s to teens. Hard to know how much of that was his skills taking a leap and how much was him just being noticed more.

Same thing for RJ, who was in the 200s early this year and is now 57. I have to think a lot of that is just people taking notice. And that he'd be ranked even higher if not for being under 6 feet.

Reactions: OldSchoo01
Hell, they put on a damn circus for him. Everything from box seats at the football game, basketball propaganda on the Jumbotron, and OKC Thunder being there. Can’t blame em tho

Yea, I don’t blame them. Guess, we’ll know a lot more in the coming days

We've had this conversation. Some say there are resources for this purpose. I don't know, but I'm operating on the assumption that if one of our guys can no longer play, his athletic scholarship can be freed up and he can still finish his schooling on some other kind of aid.

That would be sad, of course, but a reasonable outcome.

It's termed a "medical hardship" and the former players have their scholarships through graduation. They no longer count against the 13
athletic scholarships allowed for the team.

We've had this conversation. Some say there are resources for this purpose. I don't know, but I'm operating on the assumption that if one of our guys can no longer play, his athletic scholarship can be freed up and he can still finish his schooling on some other kind of aid.

Not guaranteeing an athletic scholarship for all 4 years is basically unheard of in college basketball. Hell, even Marquette in Hoop Dreams told the kid if he got injured and didn't play a minute of basketball they would still honor all 4 years of his athletic scholarship because no school is that much of a scumbag.

Either someone is going overseas/NBA or we don't have an extra scholarship. There is no way we of all schools would become that scumbag.

Not guaranteeing an athletic scholarship for all 4 years is basically unheard of in college basketball. Hell, even Marquette in Hoop Dreams told the kid if he got injured and didn't play a minute of basketball they would still honor all 4 years of his athletic scholarship because no school is that much of a scumbag.

Either someone is going overseas/NBA or we don't have an extra scholarship. There is no way we of all schools would become that scumbag.

Again, once it has been determined that a player cannot continue playing without risks to his long term health by the team's medical personnel, that individual, upon his/her agreement is placed on "medical hardship status" and continues so for a term of semesters needed to graduate. If the player wants to pursue a post graduate degree, then they are responsible for the costs associated to earn that particular degree. They are never summarily
dismissed from the UNC program, ever.

Not all schools have the best track record of dealing with injured athletes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/25/...e-athletes-from-the-pain-of-injury-costs.html

No one is suggesting we would do that. Read 75’s posts, he explains it very well.

Ahhh. Well if all you get is Clint talking about RJ's pristine hairdo, I don't see why anyone would pay for premium.

Translation: if you are going to tease about the benefit of premium, tease better. ;)

I’m not trying to tease anyone, I’m just saying it’s well worth it IMO. You get way more than Clint using the word pristine, & I have no idea how someone’s hairdo made it in to this discussion.

I’m not trying to tease anyone, I’m just saying it’s well worth it IMO. You get way more than Clint using the word pristine, & I have no idea how someone’s hairdo made it in to this discussion.
Only because pristine is an adjective and we don't know what the noun was.

It's termed a "medical hardship" and the former players have their scholarships through graduation. They no longer count against the 13
athletic scholarships allowed for the team.
Thanks. I think you said that before, but I'm glad you clarified it again.

So we don't have to bad-mouth fellow posters for hoping there's a way to unlock a scholarship in hypothetical unfortunate circumstances (not you, but a few here).

A medical hardship may be used. Gonzaga has used it many times. A player "keeps" his ship but his ship is NOT counted against the 13 allotted. UNC football team has used it several times recently.

I am actually finding it quite funny if Jared is a troll that name dropped a real person to get raider to expose himself as a fraud with info. Lol
still waiting on an explanation as to why you have a hard on for me... no I am not letting it go @imajericho so what is your beef with me of all the people that drop nuggets here and there why me?

still waiting on an explanation as to why you have a hard on for me... no I am not letting it go @imajericho so what is your beef with me of all the people that drop nuggets here and there why me?
I don't know what you are talking about. I distrust people who supposedly have inside information from supposed anonymous second hand sources. This has been evenly applied to everyone with supposed information here. Probably moreso on Gary than anyone else.

Completely disagree.

I understand...and I may be wrong. I just don't see Roy throwing out a 6'0 guard at the 2, but then again RJ can fill it up from what I see. With Roy recruiting guys like Ziaire, and Thompson at the 2--and the size of ACC 2-guards I just don't see it happening unless something unforeseen happens(God forbid injuries...etc...)

I'd like to see RJ prove me wrong. Also it looks as if Davis is a hard UNC lean at this point, and if he commits to the Heels, I'll root hard for the kid.

I understand...and I may be wrong. I just don't see Roy throwing out a 6'0 guard at the 2, but then again RJ can fill it up from what I see. With Roy recruiting guys like Ziaire, and Thompson at the 2--and the size of ACC 2-guards I just don't see it happening unless something unforeseen happens.

Remember....., Britt, Berry, Marcus? How'd we do with Roy throwing them out? Bottom line: The kid can play, and he will play a lot...

Roy can definitely play Caleb and RJ together! On offense RJ can play the two and on defense Caleb can guard the opposing 2, RJ can guard the point! Caleb is 6’3 with a 6’9 wingspan so he can easily defend wings that are taller than him! This is why Roy wants to play 2 pg’s and how he sold RJ on it

Reactions: alabamaheel
I don't know what you are talking about. I distrust people who supposedly have inside information from supposed anonymous second hand sources. This has been evenly applied to everyone with supposed information here. Probably moreso on Gary than anyone else.
@imajericho then take it with a grain of salt but, I tend to disagree with you on that; you made a point of pretty much calling me a liar.. it's one thing to say I dont trust second hand info; it's a complete other thing to say fraud. Pick your words more carefully...

Last edited:
I understand...and I may be wrong. I just don't see Roy throwing out a 6'0 guard at the 2, but then again RJ can fill it up from what I see. With Roy recruiting guys like Ziaire, and Thompson at the 2--and the size of ACC 2-guards I just don't see it happening unless something unforeseen happens(God forbid injuries...etc...)

I'd like to see RJ prove me wrong. Also it looks as if Davis is a hard UNC lean at this point, and if he commits to the Heels, I'll root hard for the kid.

I disagreed primarily about Davis being a perennial backup if he comes to UNC. I think he's plenty good enough to start, maybe not his freshman year, but possibly his sophomore year.

I see Caleb starting at PG.

RJ would be primary backup at PG.

If/when they are on the court at the same time, Caleb would nominally be the SG. But it would really be a 2-PG offense, with either bringing the ball up.

Caleb would handle the bigger opposing guard on D.

We have other guys who play SG (even if we don't get Bryce), so we'll just have to see how that works out. But what I've described should work very well.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
Roy can definitely play Caleb and RJ together! On offense RJ can play the two and on defense Caleb can guard the opposing 2, RJ can guard the point! Caleb is 6’3 with a 6’9 wingspan so he can easily defend wings that are taller than him! This is why Roy wants to play 2 pg’s and how he sold RJ on it
True, and if and when they get to switch on defense it will give Love a small break. Not having to guard the pg helps a lot sometimes.

Remember....., Britt, Berry, Marcus? How'd we do with Roy throwing them out? Bottom line: The kid can play, and he will play a lot...

All good points, and I'm not trying to dog RJ. He's just not a typical ACC 2-guard, and with Roy's recruiting lately I see bigger guards getting more minutes. Don't get me wrong...I'd take RJ in a heart beat, he looks like he can get buckets in bunches.

I see Caleb starting at PG.

RJ would be primary backup at PG.

If/when they are on the court at the same time, Caleb would nominally be the SG. But it would really be a 2-PG offense, with either bringing the ball up.

Caleb would handle the bigger opposing guard on D.

We have other guys who play SG (even if we don't get Bryce), so we'll just have to see how that works out. But what I've described should work very well.

I agree, and I like the fact that Roy is going to feature multiple combo guards. It will be harder to defend us when our guards can play multiple positions.

Like I said in another post...If I had the chance to have RJ on my team, I'd take him in a NY minute.

I disagreed primarily about Davis being a perennial backup if he comes to UNC. I think he's plenty good enough to start, maybe not his freshman year, but possibly his sophomore year.

I agree, it's kind of hard to forecast what a player will do. Kind of like Coby last year--we weren't sure he'd even play the point. Now he's playing point in the NBA.

People so worried about RJ’s size....Let me tell you what I know: if RJ went to Pitt, he would be a player that torched us for 3-4 years. I hope he chooses the Heels tomorrow morning.

Reactions: Ozheelfan
I agree, and I like the fact that Roy is going to feature multiple combo guards. It will be harder to defend us when our guards can play multiple positions.

Like I said in another post...If I had the chance to have RJ on my team, I'd take him in a NY minute.
I think you’re going to have that chance. FWIW, the crystal ball predictions are 90% for UNC now.

Getting RJ is a really nice pickup, when bringing in such a big class like we are it’s important to bring in multi-year guys that provide continuity as core pieces that Roy can build with.

I also believe that Kessler will be a 2-3 year player, so I think with RJ coming on board tomorrow this class has two likely 1 year guys in Love and Sharpe and two multi-year guys in Davis and Kessler with two spots left.

I really like this balance so far and am interested to see how things will shake out with our wing targets over the next few weeks as we have another visitor this weekend in Kerwin Walton.

Walton has averaged about 47% from long distance in high school and 17U play, superb shooter. Somewhat average in terms of athleticism and defense. Again, a superb 3-pt shooter. Scheduled to visit 10-25-19.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT