ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Hubert Question

GoNtheDistance

Hall of Famer
Oct 3, 2003
at what point do we start to have concern about Hubert for those that don't already? Frankly, I wasn't a fan of the early extension of his contract last year after the miracle run to the NCAA final. There's a lot of season left, but I think we can all agree that at 5-4, with every win being less then stellar, and some of the losses being eye opening, this team may very well be on their way to preseason #1 to the postseason NIT tournament. We are that bad right now. Let's say that happens. How long is Hubert's leash before they come for his job?

I doubt Hubert's seat is even at room temperature yet. He was Roy's first choice and he played for Coach Smith. Coming off a FF run I would think he would have to have 3 or 4 seasons where UNC is on the bubble in February before those talks even begin.

Reactions: Archer2
It will take this season to be a failure and then another rough start to next season in order for his seat to get hot.

The end of last season saved him quite a bit of time. I will still question his coaching abilities though. I was ridiculed for what I said early last season after we got hot at the end of the season. But I still think I was right and think we just had a lucky run. It will take Caleb Love and RJ Davis knocking down big-time shots consistently to repeat that, and I just don't see that happening. They look way off. And Armando doesnt seem like the same Armando either. Don't even get me started on Nance vs Manek.

Ending Coach K’s career brought him some good graces but yeah its kinda hard to argue hes been very mediocre for 5 of the 6 months he’s been a coach

We are 0-4 in Power 5 games. Sure, we should expect to lose some early...but we haven't played a clear cut Goliath either. The offense is predictable and the defense is at times worse than our football teams's defense. The biggest thing for me is we have veterans and no leadership. We are out of sync like a group of newbies playing together for the first time.

Hubert has a lot to learn (we all do) about coaching at this level. His substitution patterns aren't good at all and we seldom switch things up on offense or defense.

Not sure it is Huberts issue, but not able to fix it because of attitudes on the team. If he benches LOVE and RJ for being dumb...we still lose games. The primadonna's will just have even worse attitudes and be completely uncoachable at that point. But...I am okay with that. What I want to see if kids that arent all about themselves and more about the team concept and selflessness. This ... let me show the NBA scouts what I can do plan aint working out for UNC basketball. I was hoping that a redeeming quality of the NIL would be that people would worry less about the draft and more about sticking around and bringing consistency to a team, but WE SUCK. cannot shoot a lick. and you can play the best defense in the world (which we dont) but you have to score points. RJ and Caleb can both transfer right now and it wouldnt hurt my feelings. They are uncoachable. I have to believe HD has told them to stop dribbling and then going in against bigger people and throwing up prayers, but they have now done it for 3 years. So no chance that changes and until it does....we aint winning shiitake.

at what point do we start to have concern about Hubert for those that don't already? Frankly, I wasn't a fan of the early extension of his contract last year after the miracle run to the NCAA final. There's a lot of season left, but I think we can all agree that at 5-4, with every win being less then stellar, and some of the losses being eye opening, this team may very well be on their way to preseason #1 to the postseason NIT tournament. We are that bad right now. Let's say that happens. How long is Hubert's leash before they come for his job?
Never extend a contract on a miracle run to close a season. It might be just a 1 time miracle run. And things might get very bad, even very quickly.

I think we should know a great deal by the close of this season. If this team gets turned around, then Davis might just be starting his HC career slowly, meaning that he starts seasons slowly and then gets into his groove to rescue seasons. But if this team continues to be no better than mediocre, then we may well have the sign that Davis is not going to keep the program at the top.

The powers that be will allow bad football coaches to stay and stay, but in the past they have been quick to want to replace coaches that they think are unlikely to keep Tar Heel basketball at the top.

Reactions: nc4life05
Hubert was always going to have his growing pains but the staff he put together is unforgivable
It was almost a given that he would build a staff of all, of nearly all, foremen UNC players. That 'keep it in the family' mentality is how and why he is HC. Roy picked him from the TV booth to become a former player assistant who would be his replacement.

John Wooden was not part of 'the UCLA family,' and Bob Knight was not part of the 'Indiana family.' Rat-face was not part of the 'Dook family.' Adolph Rupp was not part of the 'Kentucky family.' Hiring outside 'the family' is much more likely to be central to making or keeping a program great than is hiring within the family.

Not sure it is Huberts issue, but not able to fix it because of attitudes on the team. If he benches LOVE and RJ for being dumb...we still lose games. The primadonna's will just have even worse attitudes and be completely uncoachable at that point. But...I am okay with that. What I want to see if kids that arent all about themselves and more about the team concept and selflessness. This ... let me show the NBA scouts what I can do plan aint working out for UNC basketball. I was hoping that a redeeming quality of the NIL would be that people would worry less about the draft and more about sticking around and bringing consistency to a team, but WE SUCK. cannot shoot a lick. and you can play the best defense in the world (which we dont) but you have to score points. RJ and Caleb can both transfer right now and it wouldnt hurt my feelings. They are uncoachable. I have to believe HD has told them to stop dribbling and then going in against bigger people and throwing up prayers, but they have now done it for 3 years. So no chance that changes and until it does....we aint winning shiitake.
Well first, it is Hubert's issue, in the end he has the one power no player has or should have, the power to grant as well as take away PT. If Hubert pulls a starter because he is not playing like we need him to, that guy gets pissed and tells Hubert I going to enter the portal? I say, OK, do you need me to pack your bags for you, I don't care who that player is, it could be any or all of our starters. The coach MUST, any coach MUST, establish control over his team before anything else.

I think due to COVID, NIL introduction/competition, and how he doesn't have a full roster of his own recruits yet, he'll be given a good amount of time, even if things keep going south.

Reactions: gauchoheel
This will be my only post on this subject as I know that there is a real divergence
of opinions about Hubert. Not so long ago, we lost 7 games in a row. That was during 2019-2020 season with a College and Basketball Hall Of Fame coach. Here we have a man who is in his 2nd year and still figuring some nuances of the game out. When play goes south as we are seeing right now, I think back to the same individuals who posted the same complaints last year and they are the same folks.

I acknowledge that each and every one who posts on this forum has an absolute right to their opinion whether it be right or whether it be wrong. That is an individual's choice to make. If you are simply venting your frustrations about the coaching, team play, or anything else about the program as it now stands, you have every right to do that.

With that being said, what is spouted on this thread will have NO effect on Hubert, or the outcome of his or the staff's employment. Coaching Div 1 BB is a hard job and at times a thankless one, and particularly at a program with the history that has been created at UNC. We all have our own solutions for what ails the program, I do, and it doesn't mean shit.

Hubert has done an admirable job thus far in my singular opinion and last year was not the fluke coaching job that some on this forum want to believe and maintain.
Most complainers are always ready to lay the blame for poor performances at Hubert's feet while negating the performance of the team as a real issue that has to be fixed...., it had to be fixed last year, and it will have to get fixed this year. In other words, you are not seeing the forest for the trees.

Different Year-Different Team-Different Chemistry Requirements. There are those on this forum who do not have any patience and get all worked up when we don't win every game as though we are required to, to make and keep them happy. Well, I suspect that those individuals are just pissed to the max about right now and I hope you wallow in your self made grief. I expect for this team to follow fairly closely to last year's team, and if they do, I will be pleased, but you will not. If the season continues to go south, then at seasons end is time for these discussions, not now.

Last edited:
As '75 said above.
A serious question perhaps but a smidge too early to be discussing coaching changes.

to be clear, I don't think a coaching change should be made right this very second, just curious as to others thoughts about what it would take for it to get to that point.

Remember when they hung Dean in effigy? How'd that turn out? :) He's on contract till, what, 2028 after the extension? Let's just roll the dice :)

"Relax. Please just relax."
Theo Pinson

We all want Hubert to be successful but things are looking very bad. This is some of the worst basketball I remember seeing from a talented team at Unc. Hubert is either telling our players to play in this manor or he's allowing them to go rogue and do what ever they want. We are 9 games in and can't defend, pass, rebound, or shoot. It's real simple with coaching in any sport at any level, you bench players that aren't doing what you ask.

We all want Hubert to be successful but things are looking very bad. This is some of the worst basketball I remember seeing from a talented team at Unc. Hubert is either telling our players to play in this manor or he's allowing them to go rogue and do what ever they want. We are 9 games in and can't defend, pass, rebound, or shoot. It's real simple with coaching in any sport at any level, you bench players that aren't doing what you ask.
Chuckle..., had to respond to this one. Yeah, things are not what we want them to be in regard to our team, but.... you seem to have had a memory lapse when it comes to last year's team that lost to TN, WF, and a horror show at home to Pitt, and the play of this team so far surpasses those turds we laid? Nope. Introducing a new offense and just piss poor play on both ends of the court is most of our ills.

Chemistry is lacking due to the players themselves not defining their rolls in this new offense. That takes some painful time, and we may not have seen the last of those yet. Not saying it will get worse before it gets better, but it could if they do not continue their play like they did in the last 10 minutes of yesterday's game. It appeared that a flash of light went on and they discovered defense can win games and had they played the entire game at that level, they would have won that game. The only game that was out of their reach this year was the IU game, the rest should have been W's. And their play is not on Hubert..., a coach should never have to coach EFFORT nor FOCUS, and it's been missing all year in all losses and even in some wins.

As unfortunately predictable as these sorts of threads are, I would've at least hoped that those with agendas would be a bit more aware of time. We are, after all, in December of the second season, one that is coming off a Natty game appearance. Critiquing the coaching staff's moves is one thing --- trying to start up this sort of talk is quite another.

Coach is safe. If we don’t improve drastically over the course of this season, then there will be frustration and grumbling. Especially given the fact that we returned so many starters. He’s gonna get the time to put his stamp on the program.If he doesn’t produce, he will eventually be removed.

Let me go out on a limb and offer that Hubert will come back around to something we all recognize as Carolina basketball and quit that 4-5 out junk. It sucks and the personnel are better suited to Carolina basketball.

Well first, it is Hubert's issue, in the end he has the one power no player has or should have, the power to grant as well as take away PT. If Hubert pulls a starter because he is not playing like we need him to, that guy gets pissed and tells Hubert I going to enter the portal? I say, OK, do you need me to pack your bags for you, I don't care who that player is, it could be any or all of our starters. The coach MUST, any coach MUST, establish control over his team before anything else.
i totally agree with that sentiment, but you and I also know he will not do that. Sends a bad message to potential recruits that think they should get their asses kissed from the time they are recruited to graduation. Add in that NIL money that has to be part of the recruiting "talks" now and we are dealing ego filled primadonnas. Like the NBA but on a smaller scale. I HATE the NBA and all the money grubbing entitled babies and see the college game going the same way unfortunately. College basketball is the only sport I watch anymore, and that probably wont be for long.

The problem I have after listening to his radio show tonight is he keeps talking about having to start over every year. I tend to disagree you have four returning players that are at least a junior or better and you bring in a grad transfer. If we got a start over with juniors and seniors that should already know the system we got really some big problems.

The problem I have after listening to his radio show tonight is he keeps talking about having to start over every year. I tend to disagree you have four returning players that are at least a junior or better and you bring in a grad transfer. If we got a start over with juniors and seniors that should already know the system we got really some big problems.
This! 100% agreed! This is an excuse, no reason we should be this bad!

No team wr have lost to that is more talented then we are!

Ive coached too long to put this one on the coaches. Too much pressure to win to allow the coaches to be the aholes they need to be to get the desired results from this team. and too much attitude. I guess they get paid the same if they lose or win so at the end of the day is the juice worth the squeeze. Meaning...why waste time telling young adults that know everything (and used to getting their butts kissed by everyone) when they havent listened for 2.5 season already.

Reactions: khedges54
I totally agree the lack of effort and focus is on players and not coaches. I honestly cannot give an opinion on the system they are running because the execution on the court is so half-assed I do not know if it will work or not. I have always though you could get a read on a team's heart by watching how they played on the defensive end. Were they aggressive and making the other team work just to complete a pass or were they just waiting to see if they could a rebound off a missed shot so they could be on offense again?

I look at other teams and I am jealous of how hard they play. No one standing around, sharp cuts off the ball, communicating on defense - those were trademarks of UNC basketball under Coach Smith. Not sure if I have even seen a real backdoor basket by the Heels this season. It is just frustrating to see losses to weaker teams because the UNC players do not seem to care as much as the fans. A team this experienced should have true leadership on the court and so far they do not.

If you go back 20-30 pages, the threads look and sound the same then and now. It took a while, but they started competing. HD by all means should have been doing a little better this start. There is a massive breakdown and the finger points everywhere. The good thing is they have shown they can play. Just needs to translate to 40 minutes instead of 5-10

Every coach has disappointing seasons. Every coach has surprising runs (maybe excluding Roy. I can't recall a March run where we were like, "where did that come from?"). I'm not going to overreact either way right now. There are things I like about Hubert. I like the more open offensive style. There are things I don't like. It appears he's forcing players into his system as opposed to adjusting his system to fit player's strengths. But Roy basically did that his entire career and it shouldn't be a surprise if Hubert adopts the same stubbornness.

I'm typically against nepotism in sports. This obviously isn't nepotism by definition. But I always questioned if the best person to lead UNC's basketball program absolutely has to be a UNC person. I would just rather get the best coach you can get. But that's neither here nor there.

This will come down to how Hubert recruits (freshman and transfer portal). If he gets studs to come to UNC, he'll be fine. If he doesn't, he won't be fine.

This is the reality of college basketball and college football coaches. The majority of them cannot coach above their level of recruiting IMO. Most of them are average or below tactically. So while I like Hubert's more open offensive approach and believe it's necessary, my expectation is he's an average tactical in game coach. So he will need really good players to have really good seasons.

Really long answer to say it's too early right now.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Regardless of the reasons, we suck. No fun to watch at all. I can’t really hypothesize on why because I checked out. Haven’t watched the last 4-5 games. And that’s a damn shame. I used to love watching the team. I would rearrange my schedule to make sure I could watch. To hell with that. So again, he may turn it around but this lull will kill a fan base. And if this becomes an every season type of thing where we suck for the first 15 or so games, there won’t be anyone there for the next 15.

If I hear they’re doing well, I’ll start tuning in. Y’all keep me posted.

i totally agree with that sentiment, but you and I also know he will not do that. Sends a bad message to potential recruits that think they should get their asses kissed from the time they are recruited to graduation. Add in that NIL money that has to be part of the recruiting "talks" now and we are dealing ego filled primadonnas. Like the NBA but on a smaller scale. I HATE the NBA and all the money grubbing entitled babies and see the college game going the same way unfortunately. College basketball is the only sport I watch anymore, and that probably wont be for long.
I really don't care what message it sends to recruits, I really don't, the ONLYT message that matters to me is the messages sent to the CURRENT TEAM. If a recruit is turned off by a coach making his team understand that they have to play to certain standards, then really, do we want that guy to play for UNC, don't think I do. Give me the kid that wants to be at UNC, that wants to be coached, that wants to learn and better his game.

It’s not a Hubert issue so let’s stop ✋. Caleb, RJ need to pull there head out there ash (sorry I’m smoking cigars). Once they get back to themselves this team will be better. How they go this team goes. Caleb is his own worse enemy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT