ADVERTISEMENT

Should McCants be forgiven?

If Roy forgives him, then I might be willing to at least try to. But I'm not sure if I would ever be able to completely forgive him. It would take a long time for sure.

In no way am I making light of mental issues, but he always came across as being bipolar or something. If true, I hope he's gotten some help for that.

Hell of a ball player though.

As I am speaking from a fan perspective and not inside the UNC basketball program I will never forget what he did. If he was truly having some mental health issues I can forgive him but I doubt I will ever really consider him to be a Tar Heel.

I will work hard to find forgiveness in my heart IF he is really mentally ill! He will never be Family and I will remove him from my Tar Heel list, but I can try to forgive him as a human. If he is just a selfish POS, like I believe, then he can go straight to Hades! (Unless this mental illness is hereditary, his sister may provide some insight into the environmental aspect of his idiocy)

Reactions: shun1
I believe he has some actual mental illness issues. I don't know whether drugs were a sig part of his life, or not. I don't know that I am in a position to forgive (or not) as I bear him no ill will and he never wronged or harmed me in a direct fashion.

IF he does suffer from mental illness, I hope he is getting the proper types of help and that he will live a healthier, happier, more stable life.

@shun1 probably said it best though.

God Bless you @shun1 !

https://www.si.com/college/unc/basketball/rashad-mccants-unc

I wish he had better success as a pro. He was always his worst enemy. He also contributed to hurt the university in a dark hard time. Forgiveness is sometimes a hard thing. He is a man of 2 legacies with UNC.
I forgive him, in that he's bat-shit crazy, and that's a shame for anyone.
His self-imposed penance is living with having blown a sure-fire NBA career for acting like a knucklehead.

That being said...:(:mad:

Last edited:
I believe he has some actual mental illness issues. I don't know whether drugs were a sig part of his life, or not. I don't know that I am in a position to forgive (or not) as I bear him no ill will and he never wronged or harmed me in a direct fashion.

IF he does suffer from mental illness, I hope he is getting the proper types of help and that he will live a healthier, happier, more stable life.

@shun1 probably said it best though.

God Bless you @shun1 !
Hi soap,,,SMILE,,BLESS YOU my friend. You put a big SMILE on shuni with your post.

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

So wait a minute, McCants drops off a letter in person that is deemed a positive letter? Well how in the heck did he slip past all the prison guards?

Forgive him you ask, he has not asked me to forgive him, I don't know what he has in his heart. I find it odd that we would be asked if we could forgive because he drops off some letter deemed positive in private and yet his words, like playing for UNC was like being in prison and of course his contribution during the AFAM time. His damning words were public, VERY public and he drops off a letter, the image I get of him is wearing a hoodie pulled down over his head, dark glasses, goosh I hope the warden Roy is not working today...Any apologies should be at very least just as public as his damnations were.

The real question is could I ever forget what he intentionally did, easy answer there is no! He is right there with larry Drew, he will ALWAYS be right there with Larry Drew, I see no way that could ever change and if anything I see McCants in an even more negative light than Drew. Nope, can't forget, nope, no respect because of his disrespect, forgiveness as an imperfect being I will leave up to the only perfect human being Jesus. I wish the man no harm, I wish no bad things for him, I wish to never hear from him again, go live his life now that he is free on parole...

Reactions: j-doolsheels
McCants......I suppose he can be forgiven, but not forgotten. I'm not sure if he is crazy as a bed bug, or just felt so entitled all of his life because of his athletic abilities that he felt he could say anything that popped into his mind. And was there anyone that "forced" him to stay in the African American studies program, or did he take it as an easy way out? Then decided to totally trash UNC after the fact when he thought his sun shone brighter than the UNC did? Now one has to wonder if there is any true remorse, or if he has just run out of cards to play from that side of the deck. I think all can forgive him of his sins, but not accept him back into the UNC family. I think he forfeited that pleasure

Last edited:
Reactions: shun1
Holding grudges only has a negative impact on the grudge holder. I’ve long since moved on. He provided one of my best memories hitting a late 3 against UCONN to win in the DES. The place was so loud I couldn’t verbally communicate with my Dad beside me. I’ll always remember that fondly. My Dad was just pumping both fists in the air and had a tear in his eye. He and Roy are the same age and Roy remembered my Dad from the 1970’s when I took him to a Coaches Circle Ram’s Club event in 2005. He still has a picture of him and Roy from that event in his living room.

I hate how things worked out with him, but it’s in the past. He makes my All-Roy team on the on court ability side and I would take this lineup against any. I have reasons for each.

PG- Lawson
SG- McCants
SF- Cam Johnson
PF- Hansbrough
C- Zeller

Last edited:
The Sports Illustrated article while he was here before any of the issues with the school painted a portrait of a guy who was a little off, struggling. I think Devil and Angel tattos, talk of distrust, etc. It was a long time ago when I read it, don't recall the specifics, but I recall thinking, whoa, this guy is thinking in a whole different way on a day to day basis.

Last edited:
I just went back and reread it. "Many Moves, Many Moods" is the name of the article (SI vault, if you want to read it). It wasn't Angel & Devil tats. It was "Born to be hated & Dying to be loved" tats.

He certainly always struggled with mental issues. Bi polar, manic depression, not sure the diagnosis. I'm not a psychiatrist, but he has had a LONG history of battles inside his own head.

When his apology is as public as his overt accusations from years ago then it’s up for debate. More than willing to forgive but he must first take ownership in the bullshit he did.

I believed him the whole time, except that Roy knew. I can give Roy the benefit of doubt in that.

Last edited:
Dont care. He had his time here. He did with it what he chose to do.

Nothing to forgive he is one of many players to come through here.

He and the fans need to move on and support the current Tarheels.

Matthew 6:14 "If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you"

You don't have to forget, but I would always say to forgive. JMO

Denzel Washington, Man on Fire "Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting."

"Look, forgiveness from other folks is good, but ain't nothin' but words comin' at you from outside. You want to kick this shit, you got to forgive your own self." - Walon, The Wire.

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT