ADVERTISEMENT

SI on hottest names on coaching carousel

Lots of losses on offense? Yes. But at this point in his tenure here, and with enough marginal success to create enthusiasm, why should there be a couple year rebuilding process. They go lucky they didn't get shut out by GT yesterday. GT. Get your head around that. I can see losing to GT by getting outscored, but defense has never been their calling card just because they probably have the toughest recruiting issues in the league, and they just don't have the overall athletic talent.

Fedora looks the part. Talks a great game. But I just don't see him ever taking UNC past the point of pretty good. Now with UNC's identity so locked into basketball, maybe mediocre is good enough in football for the powers that be. But a bigger problem is that apathy is setting in. Remember a few weeks back when U of L came to town. Pretty day. Highly ranked team with the reigning Heisman trophy winner coming to town. Stadium was maybe 3/4 full. That says a lot about the enthusiasm for the football program right now

Stadium will be 60% full from here on out. It's October, basketball starts tomorrow and we are all but penciled in to win only 1 more game. Drive an hour to watch a shitty football team play in a half empty stadium and have to park a mile away to walk to game? Yeah no thanks.

Reactions: midline
The new signing day will affect how some schools handle hiring and firing.

enlighten me please.
The Dec signing date means that ADs now must wonder how the recruiting class will be affected by a firing. For example - say Tennessee fires Butch Jones in mid-Nov. It is possible that the new staff will lose a number of the commitments and be unable, in such a short time, to replace them.

That may mean some ADs now fire mid-season to get a jump on saving the recruiting class.

Good point, as when a season goes sideways the only bargaining chip a coach may have to save his job would be possibly jeopardizing a highly ranked recruiting class. Especially with a Dec signing date. Still don't think it should save Butch Jones, even if he has such a class lined up. He has had good classes about every year there and it isn't adding up to much. Suppose his fate is in the hands of the fans and if things unravel more and cause a mutiny. In football, don't think the UNC fan base is rabid enough to exert that kind of pressure like they are in Tennessee.

The Dec signing date means that ADs now must wonder how the recruiting class will be affected by a firing. For example - say Tennessee fires Butch Jones in mid-Nov. It is possible that the new staff will lose a number of the commitments and be unable, in such a short time, to replace them.

That may mean some ADs now fire mid-season to get a jump on saving the recruiting class.
thank you mr woad.

If or when butch jones is gone who replaces him? Any chance Justin Fuentes leaves va tech?

hearing this is a big weekend for butch...he’s probdnly already gone, but it could happen sunday if he loses.

replacements start with chip kelly...i have believed a&m was first in line for chip.

also, petrino would make sense there as well.

Given all that's gone on at Louisville, Petrino has no doubt done a lot of soul-searching lately. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he left.

Don't think Fuentes leaves VT now. Petrino still is a sexy choice in some corners, but not sure the folks at UT, or some other schools want to take on his baggage. And added to that he has hurt himself in the genius category this year by letting that Louisville program go in the tank. Don't see Kelly at UT. See him more at UCLA. Think that is more his speed and probably wants to avoid the SEC. Especially wants to avoid the Saban division.

Don't think Fuentes leaves VT now. Petrino still is a sexy choice in some corners, but not sure the folks at UT, or some other schools want to take on his baggage. And added to that he has hurt himself in the genius category this year by letting that Louisville program go in the tank. Don't see Kelly at UT. See him more at UCLA. Think that is more his speed and probably wants to avoid the SEC. Especially wants to avoid the Saban division.

I agree with you about Kelly. Everyone says he's a lock for the Tennessee job, but I don't see it. UCLA would be interesting if they get rid of Mora.

I would bet that Fuente may be ready to finish a career at VT. He knows VT can win the ACC and the National title. He knows VT will love him almost like it loves Beamer if he stays and wins.

Kelly is from the northeast and has the Left Coast experience. I think he would be a duck out of water in the SEC. More so than midwesterner Butch Jones. I think most Tennessee boosters are going to demand someone who has long and deep ties to the South.

kelly is going to tennessee or a&m...although ucla will push hard for him.

this gruden stuff is interesting, he’s be crazy to leave the booth.

jim mac is about to be fired at florida.

Florida in buyout talks with Jim McElwain. Who would take that job next year?

Butch Jones gone and McElwain gone
Perhaps for each, a major hurdle was not being Southern. Jones had never coached in the South before taking the Vols job. McElwain was Bama OC. but that gives him no brownie points with anybody else in the SEC.

I wonder in McElwain is interested in the Oregon St job.

Reports are out that the McElwain "death threats" aren't true. Florida trying now to fire him with cause to avoid paying him the buyout.

MW, he got caught in that lie. Florida was smart enough or determined enough to investigate and found a way out of his buyout. Lesson learned for McElwain. Don’t lie about death threats in hopes to take the heat off your terrible football team; especially not in SEC country.

MW, he got caught in that lie. Florida was smart enough or determined enough to investigate and found a way out of his buyout. Lesson learned for McElwain. Don’t lie about death threats in hopes to take the heat off your terrible football team; especially not in SEC country.

What an amazing story. The guy was getting fired anyway, so if he loses the 12+ million buyout on top of it, he has to go down as one of the dumbest people in america.

Saw online that although they thought they had cause to get out of the buyout altogether, that they have offered McElwain a reduced buyout which he has accepted although no official word yet on the exact amount.

Mullen would be a great fit there.
There are many UF boosters who wanted Mullen when Mushcamp was hired and also when McElwain was hired. Supposedly, former UF AD Foley disliked Mullen. Current UF AD Scott Stricklin was Miss St AD and loves Mullen.

If UF does not go for, or get, Mullen, expect it to make a play for Scott Frost. He is a super hot item, and now he has 2 years coaching in FL. What he has done at UCF in 2 years is almost unbelievable. There are rumors that Ole Miss boosters are as hot for Frost as they are for Mike Niorvell, and now there is talk that a group of Tennessee boosters demanding Jones' head wants Frost. So if Nebraska wants to bring Scott Frost back home, it better fire Riley and offer immediately.

There are many UF boosters who wanted Mullen when Mushcamp was hired and also when McElwain was hired. Supposedly, former UF AD Foley disliked Mullen. Current UF AD Scott Stricklin was Miss St AD and loves Mullen.

If UF does not go for, or get, Mullen, expect it to make a play for Scott Frost. He is a super hot item, and now he has 2 years coaching in FL. What he has done at UCF in 2 years is almost unbelievable. There are rumors that Ole Miss boosters are as hot for Frost as they are for Mike Niorvell, and now there is talk that a group of Tennessee boosters demanding Jones' head wants Frost. So if Nebraska wants to bring Scott Frost back home, it better fire Riley and offer immediately.

I think Riley is definitely gone, especially since the AD who hired him was already fired. Frost would then have an interesting decision. Florida is the better job, but he went to Nebraska. My guess is he would take the Nebraska job, but who knows.

I think Riley is definitely gone, especially since the AD who hired him was already fired. Frost would then have an interesting decision. Florida is the better job, but he went to Nebraska. My guess is he would take the Nebraska job, but who knows.
But here is the kind of thing a guy like Frost may find troubling about Florida: the boosters meddle and whine and demand as bad as any in history. They even drove off Spurrier. If an alum who won a Heisman as player and a National title as HC could not stand UF boosters, who can?

But here is the kind of thing a guy like Frost may find troubling about Florida: the boosters meddle and whine and demand as bad as any in history. They even drove off Spurrier. If an alum who won a Heisman as player and a National title as HC could not stand UF boosters, who can?

I agree, and I think another problem Frost will have at UF is trying to please the boosters / fans who want Mullen and no one else. To me, Mullen makes the most sense there since their current AD is the guy who hired him at Miss. State. Mullen to UF, Frost to Nebraska - both great hires.

I agree, and I think another problem Frost will have at UF is trying to please the boosters / fans who want Mullen and no one else. To me, Mullen makes the most sense there since their current AD is the guy who hired him at Miss. State. Mullen to UF, Frost to Nebraska - both great hires.
Right. Those Gators boosters could go to war regardless of who gets that job. The ones who want Mullen will oppose Frost if he gets it, and the ones who want Frost will oppose Mullen if he gets it. And both camps may hate any 3rd guy who gets it.

But I think it makes more sense for UF to have Mullen as the clear #1 target. Then the AD will need to keep everyone in line.

Reactions: MWHeels
I guess Kelly is another name to keep an eye on for the UF job.
Kelly had the 18 month Show Clause penalty, but that time has passed. So I expect schools to come after him. But I think Stricklin may want to avoid any taint that might come with Kelly. If Florida (or Tennessee) hires Kelly, the rest of the league is going to be on high alert for the slightest irregularity.

Kelly may need to go to a less high profile program for a few years.

Any guesses on what Harbaugh does next season? Stay at Michigan or back to NFL?

Any guesses on what Harbaugh does next season? Stay at Michigan or back to NFL?
I have a very good friend (Arkansas fan, with Notre Dame his second team) who followed Harbaugh closely at Stanford and then with the 49ers. He says that Harbaugh cannot be content with his NFL HC time until he leaves the way he wants to. So he thinks Harbaugh now is wearying of a Big Ten that is not the one he played in, while wondering about the NFL.

I guess that makes sense, but I don't see Harbaugh as being happy with any owner in the NFL and that owner's GM always looking over his shoulder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT