ADVERTISEMENT

So basically they are going to release this ncaa crap Friday before LNWR

I have been here awhile in all of these predictions the past decade or so it boils down to 50/50 some of the posters hit a few times more than others based on sheer luck .. Those guys become Insiders and are considered a want to hear from Poster... In this case it's the same thing but this time the effects could be minor or major or everything in between so everyone can claim they were right.. Do I have a GUESS? yes I will go with no post season ban 2 scholly reduction..

Reactions: Sk1310
YRyVG.gif

Look guys, the reason many good posters DON'T post on Radar (but post on other boards on this site) is because there's a major knee-jerk tendency on here from the same select few folks to dismiss anyone who comes in with information or POVs that don't toe the party line, so to speak.

That's why so many threads on here devolve into arguments. You've got a select few who Lord over Radar and dismiss "outsiders" who come in with (often times) legit, good intel. I know for a fact of two folks who have stopped posting on Radar who had legitimate inside sources to the basketball program. They chose to stop bringing their info here because the ringleaders didn't like their info.

So just keep that in mind. Have a good day and Go Heels

- Interpreting tone from written word isn't hard, especially in this format.
- The folks who know it will be bad, from what I've seen, can't (or won't) specifically say the punishments will be X, Y, and Z, but not A or B or C. However, they've been grave enough in their language that it's not too difficult to connect the dots and know that, at least initially, we're going to get the book thrown at us.

If you would like me to GUESS (disclaimer: this is opinion not fact) of what our punishments will be, my guess is:
  • 2-3 year post-season ban in MBB and football
  • 4-year post-season ban in WBB
  • Department-wide probation for 5 years
  • A fine

I predict whatever it is, we hit it with an injunction and settle it in court for a bunch more years.

Reactions: Sk1310
- The folks who know it will be bad, from what I've seen, can't (or won't) specifically say the punishments will be X, Y, and Z, but not A or B or C. However, they've been grave enough in their language that it's not too difficult to connect the dots and know that, at least initially, we're going to get the book thrown at us.

If you would like me to GUESS (disclaimer: this is opinion not fact) of what our punishments will be, my guess is:
  • A fine
No way that it will be that bad. So, like me, if you are thinking worst case scenario so you can have a pleasant surprise, I think you are gonna be fine. Lol

• A fine

Of those (should they be close to accurate) the only one I have a real problem with is the first one. Granted, the football team seems to have enacted it's own post season ban this year by virtue of the piss poor record, but given that football has already been put through the wringer and MBB has been all but cleared of any wrongdoing, then 2-3 years on those two would be harsh. One year, I might could live with.

WBB, IMHO, would be getting off pretty dang good with a 4 year post season ban. They could get hammered really hard.

5 year department probation is nothing.

The fine, again, depends on how much. Given the legal fees the NCAA might end up having to pony up when the FBI gets finished with them, they may try to hit us hard here. I would have to take a wait and see before offering an opinion on fighting that one.

Bottom line is no one knows for sure what will happen. One person's "worst case" scenario may not be that bad to someone else. If more "academic" types were pushing the "It will be bad" angle, them it may be from their perspective, but perhaps not so much from an athletic perspective. Keep in mind, the academics don't like ANY negative news, so harshly worded diatribes from the NCAA may cause them to retreat to a safe space, whereas Roy and Larry might not give it the thought it takes for Charles Shackleford to say he is "amphibious".

The fact Roy is telling recruits it won't be bad is a good sign. I highly doubt he would hint at it if he didn't know something. Just not in his character and could do more harm than good if he were bluffing and it did turn out to be bad.

Of those (should they be close to accurate) the only one I have a real problem with is the first one. Granted, the football team seems to have enacted it's own post season ban this year by virtue of the piss poor record, but given that football has already been put through the wringer and MBB has been all but cleared of any wrongdoing, then 2-3 years on those two would be harsh. One year, I might could live with.

WBB, IMHO, would be getting off pretty dang good with a 4 year post season ban. They could get hammered really hard.

5 year department probation is nothing.

The fine, again, depends on how much. Given the legal fees the NCAA might end up having to pony up when the FBI gets finished with them, they may try to hit us hard here. I would have to take a wait and see before offering an opinion on fighting that one.

Bottom line is no one knows for sure what will happen. One person's "worst case" scenario may not be that bad to someone else. If more "academic" types were pushing the "It will be bad" angle, them it may be from their perspective, but perhaps not so much from an athletic perspective. Keep in mind, the academics don't like ANY negative news, so harshly worded diatribes from the NCAA may cause them to retreat to a safe space, whereas Roy and Larry might not give it the thought it takes for Charles Shackleford to say he is "amphibious".

The fact Roy is telling recruits it won't be bad is a good sign. I highly doubt he would hint at it if he didn't know something. Just not in his character and could do more harm than good if he were bluffing and it did turn out to be bad.
I agree with a lot of your poast. I would accept a one-year ban in MBB and football if it meant this was all over.

As to Roy... it doesn't mean he's lying when he tells recruits everything will be okay. Everything WILL be okay, eventually I'm sure! It just might look pretty bad in the short-term when the sanctions are handed down later this week.

-

• A fine
That would be an extremely harsh penalty, especially the first point. If that occurs we would have no recourse but to take them to court.

Reactions: gauchoheel
I keep reading about this "Friday news dump"as if it means anything in todays media. Its not like its 25 years ago and people are sitting around waiting for Ted Koeppel to come on at 6 to feed them their nightly hypnosis. Now, all it takes is a ten year old and a cell phone and 1 minute to find out what happened in Khazikstan. So it really means nothing.

As to Roy... it doesn't mean he's lying when he tells recruits everything will be okay. Everything WILL be okay, eventually I'm sure! It just might look pretty bad in the short-term when the sanctions are handed down later this week.

I was thinking more along the lines of guys like Little, who everyone seems to think will be gone after a year or two. If Roy thought MBB might get hit with 2-3 years of post season bans, but tells someone like Little that it won't be that bad, it could bite him in the arse. To guys like Little, 2 years of not being able to showcase yourself in the NCAA tournament would be viewed as being lied to. That is all I was saying.

I don't think anyone really knows what will come down, but I have said all along that IF the NCAA goes after MBB, the pit bulls in UNC's legal team will be released. Not even the pointed headed academics would stand for something hitting MBB that hard.

I keep reading about this "Friday news dump"as if it means anything in todays media. Its not like its 25 years ago and people are sitting around waiting for Ted Koeppel to come on at 6 to feed them their nightly hypnosis. Now, all it takes is a ten year old and a cell phone and 1 minute to find out what happened in Khazikstan. So it really means nothing.
It's not about being able to find out about it. It's about someone's interest in looking for it. Studies have shown that people pay less attention to the news on Friday as opposed to earlier in the week.

Look guys, the reason many good posters DON'T post on Radar (but post on other boards on this site) is because there's a major knee-jerk tendency on here from the same select few folks to dismiss anyone who comes in with information or POVs that don't toe the party line, so to speak.

That's why so many threads on here devolve into arguments. You've got a select few who Lord over Radar and dismiss "outsiders" who come in with (often times) legit, good intel. I know for a fact of two folks who have stopped posting on Radar who had legitimate inside sources to the basketball program. They chose to stop bringing their info here because the ringleaders didn't like their info.

For me to believe anyone is an insider, I need to know how that person is an insider. Now, I get why people don't disclose their sources. But whatever. Your word is no better than anyone else's to me unless I have proof of you being an insider. Period.

- The folks who know it will be bad, from what I've seen, can't (or won't) specifically say the punishments will be X, Y, and Z, but not A or B or C. However, they've been grave enough in their language that it's not too difficult to connect the dots and know that, at least initially, we're going to get the book thrown at us

See. That's seems like complete made up shit. If someone claims it's gonna be bad but then won't say what "bad" is, why the f*ck would I give their opinion any credence? That just doesn't make sense. I just declared that I'm an insider. And I'm saying the NCAA is going to drop the whole thing. Boy, that was easy.

• A fine

No way.

I agree with a lot of your poast. I would accept a one-year ban in MBB and football if it meant this was all over.

If the punishment is a ban of any sport, I say fight it regardless. The odds are in our favor, why take our chips down and roll over after how far we've come?

If he's telling recruits that things will be okay, then I can't imagine it will affect us in the foreseeable future, seeing 2018 is not that far away and this season is already upon us. I'd imagine it will be a retroactive punishment and something to do with vacations and potentially banners.

Regardless, I fully expect this to end up in court, unless the NCAA does the sensible thing here.

I would think that with the amount of money involved with mens BB and postseason play that UNC would go to the mat in court with the NCAA should they try to muck with anything related to mens bball and post-season NCAA tourney play.

General note: football's 2012 bowl ban and scholarship reductions was NOT part of the academic/AFAM situation. Those sanctions pertained only to impermissible benefits and contacts with agents.

However, the annoying part is the NCAA did look into the AFAM stuff during that investigation and deemed no wrongdoing. So it's annoying it's transpired this far. But technically speaking, football hasn't yet been punished for this current investigation.

Reactions: tarheel0910
It's not about being able to find out about it. It's about someone's interest in looking for it. Studies have shown that people pay less attention to the news on Friday as opposed to earlier in the week.

Well my point sort of was that those studies are probably pretty irrelevant now given iPhones etc. I mean unless I turn it off (which I do), i have notifications for top news right on my Phone as I'm sure you do as well. It's not really a matter of looking for it If it's put in your face regardless of what day it is.

Well my point sort of was that those studies are probably pretty irrelevant now given iPhones etc. I mean unless I turn it off (which I do), i have notifications for top news right on my Phone as I'm sure you do as well. It's not really a matter of looking for it If it's put in your face regardless of what day it is.
There are recent studies showing that, not old studies. You do know why those top news stories pop up right? It's based on your history and the rest of the world's history of what they pay attention to and when they pay attention to it.

Penalties don't particularly matter. Their interpretation of the NCAA bylaws is weak and the shadiness with the last NOA will come back to bite them.

The NCAA knows the penalties won't stick. Therefore the punishment itself is initial blowback from releasing serious sanctions.

There are recent studies showing that, not old studies. You do know why those top news stories pop up right? It's based on your history and the rest of the world's history of what they pay attention to and when they pay attention to it.

You don't think the NCAA hammering an institution such as unc wouldn't be a top news story regardless of what anyone "pays attention too" on some arbitrary study? I do. And I don't think it matters when it's released, it would be huge.

You don't think the NCAA hammering an institution such as unc wouldn't be a top news story regardless of what anyone "pays attention too" on some arbitrary study?
Sure, but the whole conversation is that the NCAA would drop the story on a Friday afternoon if they were not going to hammer us. You do it to try to avoid as much bad press as possible. The only way the NCAA gets bad press is by not hammering us.

Sure, but the whole conversation is that the NCAA would drop the story on a Friday afternoon if they were not going to hammer us. You do it to try to avoid as much bad press as possible. The only way the NCAA gets bad press is by not hammering us.

And I just don't agree with the line of thinking that if it's dropped on Friday it means they're not hammering unc. That's all I was saying . But truthfully I hope you're right , because that's when it's looking like it will drop.

Except his saying it won't be as bad as people are predicting so what do we do with those words?

Except his saying it won't be as bad as people are predicting so what do we do with those words?
"As bad as people are predicting" would mean rival coaches, IMO. I'm sure they're saying this is the end of Carolina Basketball for awhile. It's important to note that even if every single sanction I predicted above comes true, that doesn't mean those sanctions will ever occur. There's an appeal process we can utilize.

The govt and corps have utilized the fri news dump for decades. It dates to newspaper days when a paper only had so many columns it could use and noone read the paper on sat anyway. So everyone releases neg news on fri and its piled up in a page noone reads. Still holds true today. Trump admin has been doing it big time. Noone watches the news on fri night and by sat th story has died. Nationally at least.

The govt and corps have utilized the fri news dump for decades. It dates to newspaper days when a paper only had so many columns it could use and noone read the paper on sat anyway. So everyone releases neg news on fri and its piled up in a page noone reads. Still holds true today. Trump admin has been doing it big time. Noone watches the news on fri night and by sat th story has died. Nationally at least.

Well as I said I hope you guys are right and that NCAA is trying to bury it on a Friday afternoon. I doubt it but we will see.

Actually, I am beginning to wonder if Trump tweets can qualify as natural disaster?

We should see if we can broker a deal with Trump. Tell him we'll visit the White House next year after we win the championship if he can just lay the smackdown on the NCAA.

Reactions: Heelicious
Well as I said I hope you guys are right and that NCAA is trying to bury it on a Friday afternoon. I doubt it but we will see.

I have no idea if they’re releasing on a fri because its good news for us. For all we know unc could be requesting fri cause its bad news for us. I’m just saying whatever it is, good or bad, if its released on fri, it wont get near the national scrutiny it would if released early in the week.

So because some elect not to agree then it is "take my ball and go home" time? Funny how that works, you have the right to have any opinion you want as long as it agrees with mine? That is what you are saying, because some here elected to not buy what they were selling they ran off.

Discuss it, talk about it, but folks seem unable for some reason to discuss disagreement, they want to shout down the opposing views. I disagree with pretty much everyone time to time but I have always been willing to have a civil discussion about what I disagree with. You talk to me I will talk back, you shout at me and I will shout back...Don't start what you are not willing to finish...

There are no party lines chief, there is just what we each believe, things become arguments when folks lose the level of respect that should be present. If those fellas that ran off did so because they could not justify their position, because they could not discuss it then be gone.

It does chap my arse, this need some have to form cliques and label them. I don't get that, what you can't have an independent thought, you have to be part of some group think? Man, I am not in any clique nor do I need to be, I love my Tar Heels and that is all the cliques I need to be in. But if it completes you to feel the need to separate people in silly cliques with silly names, debbie downers vs the blue skyers, gloom & doomers vs what the heck ever you named that opposing side as, just realize, it is silly, it is juvenile, it is an attempt to separate us. Of course such a thing is not exclusive to sports boards like this, it is pretty much the very definition of politics now days. For the record, I do not like it in that realm either.

Reactions: keysersosay#1
I have no idea if they’re releasing on a fri because its good news for us. For all we know unc could be requesting fri cause its bad news for us. I’m just saying whatever it is, good or bad, if its released on fri, it wont get near the national scrutiny it would if released early in the week.
Has it been confirmed it's going to be Friday? I still haven't seen anywhere that has said that is the case.

Like Yahoo Sports:
Nassir Little said UNC coach Roy Williams has insinuated to him that the Tar Heels won’t receive a significant punishment from the NCAA. He said that Williams has not told him of the specific punishment, but told him generally: “It’s not necessarily an athletic thing,” he said Williams told him. “It wasn’t just the basketball team involved in it. They’re not going to be penalized as people suggest.”
If I were the NCAA, I'd be a little miffed that was told to a player before the report is released.

A commentator on a ESPN show said it would be released on Friday and not be a good day for Carolina fans.

So because some elect not to agree then it is "take my ball and go home" time? Funny how that works, you have the right to have any opinion you want as long as it agrees with mine? That is what you are saying, because some here elected to not buy what they were selling they ran off.
No, that is not what I'm saying.

Disagreement = fine. This is a message board, a marketplace to exchange ideas, information, theories, etc. Disagreement is natural.

Needlessly bashing and ganging up on someone with differing intel from the "accepted view" = wrong and can (and has) resulted in folks deciding to no longer post here, myself included 99% of the time. And that is sad because sometimes that "unpopular" or "differing" view/intel/POV/theory is the correct version of things.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT