ADVERTISEMENT

So basically they are going to release this ncaa crap Friday before LNWR

No, that is not what I'm saying.

Disagreement = fine. This is a message board, a marketplace to exchange ideas, information, theories, etc. Disagreement is natural.

Needlessly bashing and ganging up on someone with differing intel from the "accepted view" = wrong and can (and has) resulted in folks deciding to no longer post here, myself included 99% of the time. And that is sad because sometimes that "unpopular" or "differing" view/intel/POV/theory is the correct version of things.

OK, so maybe I just agree to disagree and leave it at that. Wrote a long reply but upon re-read was loaded with micro aggression's and a couple of them were maybe even passively alpha aggressive and I certainly wouldn't want to bring harm to anyone's sensitivities so I elected to give them their quiet karmic space in which they could reconnect to their feminine side. ohmmmmmmmmm ohmmmmmm ohmmmmm...

OK, so maybe I just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Fair enough.

Wrote a long reply but upon re-read was loaded with micro aggression's and a couple of them were maybe even passively alpha aggressive and I certainly wouldn't want to bring harm to anyone's sensitivities so I elected to give them their quiet karmic space in which they could reconnect to their feminine side. ohmmmmmmmmm ohmmmmmm ohmmmmm...
I don't get offended by microaggressions, lol. I'm too busy living in the real world.

Broke this morning:
The next and potentially final step in the University of North Carolina’s years-long NCAA investigation into academic irregularities in the formerly named African and Afro-American Studies department will occur Friday when the NCAA releases its infraction report. Sources confirm the University was given 24 hours notice of the announcement schedule on Thursday morning.

Broke this morning:
The next and potentially final step in the University of North Carolina’s years-long NCAA investigation into academic irregularities in the formerly named African and Afro-American Studies department will occur Friday when the NCAA releases its infraction report. Sources confirm the University was given 24 hours notice of the announcement schedule on Thursday morning.
Source?

And the NCAA said further:

“It is equally important to be clear what this case is not about,” the enforcement staff wrote. "This case is not about so-called fake classes or easy courses. The institution acknowledges that although the courses at issue did not meet its expectations for academic rigor, the institution did not deem the courses to be fraudulent. Nor is this case about NCAA review of classroom curriculum. The institution continues to argue that the NCAA enforcement staff should not judge academic rigor or revisit classroom decisions. The enforcement staff continues to agree and feels strongly that those considerations are reserved to the sound discretion of individual schools and their accrediting agencies. Nothing in this case suggests otherwise.”

And from Aaron Beard 15 min ago, AP:

Three people with knowledge of the investigation say the NCAA infractions committee panel handling North Carolina’s multi-year academic case plans to release its ruling Friday.

The people say the NCAA notified parties involved in the case Thursday morning. They spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because neither the school nor the NCAA have commented publicly on the release.

The ruling comes roughly eight weeks after UNC appeared before the panel in August in Nashville, Tennessee, for a two-day hearing. The school faces five top-level charges, including lack of institutional control.

Reactions: tarheel0910

“It is equally important to be clear what this case is not about,” the enforcement staff wrote. "This case is not about so-called fake classes or easy courses. The institution acknowledges that although the courses at issue did not meet its expectations for academic rigor, the institution did not deem the courses to be fraudulent. Nor is this case about NCAA review of classroom curriculum. The institution continues to argue that the NCAA enforcement staff should not judge academic rigor or revisit classroom decisions. The enforcement staff continues to agree and feels strongly that those considerations are reserved to the sound discretion of individual schools and their accrediting agencies. Nothing in this case suggests otherwise.”

Is this the ncaa enforcement staff talking or unc’s?

Enforcement, see the first sentence, they kinda tucked it in there.

Well then this is fuking huge then. If its not about the classes then mbball and fb are in the clear. The only way they would have been punished is if the classes were ruled to be improper benefits. The way i read this is that the ncaa is staying away from the classes and their accreditation. This is great news.

Reactions: Littlejon
Well then this is fuking huge then. If its not about the classes then mbball and fb are in the clear. The only way they would have been punished is if the classes were ruled to be improper benefits. The way i read this is that the ncaa is staying away from the classes and their accreditation. This is great news.
No.

It can be taken one of two ways.

1. They are punishing us lightly and making an excuse for it.

2. They are preparing for a court case after slamming us hard and are covering their asses regarding our case. They will say that our athletes ability to be inserted into the classes was the extra benefit and not the classes themself. They can't punish us for the class itself as it is accreddited but they can punish us for the athletes who got inserted into the classes as an extra benefit

2 is where my head is at the moment.

But, hoping for 1 hardcore. Let's find out tomorrow. Hopefully it is a good day.

No.

It can be taken one of two ways.

1. They are punishing us lightly and making an excuse for it.

2. They are preparing for a court case after slamming us hard and are covering their asses regarding our case. They will say that our athletes ability to be inserted into the classes was the extra benefit and not the classes themself.

I cant see how they could make a case that steering athletes into classes the ncaa admits they have no business judging the quality of is an improper benefit. The ONLY way is if the classes were indeed fake. Just my take.

I cant see how they could make a case that steering athletes into classes the ncaa admits they have no business judging the quality of is an improper benefit. The ONLY way is if the classes were indeed fake. Just my take.

I agree. I mean if anyone with common sense reading what that enforcement person said they'd wonder why they were even investigating anything.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
bingo above....if you don't have the ability/jurisdiction to judge, evaluate or monitor academic course offering then where's the improper benefit legally?

obviously the paper trail with womens bball and soccer is what will get them hit hard regardless, but for mens bball and football there's no such trail or proof of steering.

Someone in the know will have to refresh my memory on the last NOI and UNC's response. I seem to recall the NCAA and UNC were arguing over something that I thought had to do with classes being too easy, but I honestly can't remember.

Also, WRT WBB and soccer, even if they did steer athletes to these classes, the NCAA just admitted they don't govern how strong or weak classes are or how classes are handled. They stated that they leave that to the school and the accreditation services. So how could it be seen as an "improper benefit" to steer athletes to legitimate classes?

What advisor DOESN'T steer athletes to certain courses to balance their academic schedule and rigor. As long as the class is deemed legit what is the argument. Is that not part of the job of the advisor

They are almost as screwed up in these statements now as they were 3 NOA's ago, had to amend each one and couldn't get that finished correctly.
Jericho, on your post above I am hopeful that enforcement staff's statement on classes takes care of that issue. 'Cause after all as many regular students took those classes as athletes.
As a group this NCAA crowd is sure screwed up.

Heres my thinking, ncaa has heard all the criticism as from jay bilas and is back tracking big time. To me this is a preemptive strike to try and defend not punishing mbball and fb. They anticipate huge backlash for not hammering the programs. Now they might over compensate with huge fines and going after wbball and soccer. But seems to me they done pointed the gun at us and realized they holding the wrong end.

Forget this. The freaking ncaa statement is from july, not today as i understood it to be.

Last edited:
2. They are preparing for a court case after slamming us hard and are covering their asses regarding our case. They will say that our athletes ability to be inserted into the classes was the extra benefit and not the classes themself. They can't punish us for the class itself as it is accreddited but they can punish us for the athletes who got inserted into the classes as an extra benefit

That's what I think as well. We've made it obvious in our responses that a big part of our argument is that they need to stay in their lane. By them putting that out there they are trying to beat us to the punch to make it harder for us to argue in court.

Agreed.

Someone in the know will have to refresh my memory on the last NOI and UNC's response. I seem to recall the NCAA and UNC were arguing over something that I thought had to do with classes being too easy, but I honestly can't remember.

Also, WRT WBB and soccer, even if they did steer athletes to these classes, the NCAA just admitted they don't govern how strong or weak classes are or how classes are handled. They stated that they leave that to the school and the accreditation services. So how could it be seen as an "improper benefit" to steer athletes to legitimate classes?

Wbball flat out requested grades to keep players eligible so they’re done. And rightfully so. I dont remember exactly what soccer did but it was egregiousnas well iirc

Wbball flat out requested grades to keep players eligible so they’re done. And rightfully so. I dont remember exactly what soccer did but it was egregiousnas well iirc
I don't know why I missed that. If that is the case, then I agree, they should get hammered.

I guess what I am having a hard time with is what they DID say in the statement released today. Why do that? Even if it was to "make it harder" for us to use that in court, that still seems to put a dagger through the heart of a lot of what most think they will go after MBB and football on. Plus, in court, it doesn't matter what was said in a report, just what you say to back up your argument when in front of a judge.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. My gut tells me they will still try to hit MBB and football with something. How much, who knows? I also think WBB and soccer could be in for a long, tough road, based on what heelmanwilm said.

I HOPE what actually happens is perhaps a "sternly worded" reprimand of the MBB and football program, while at the same time acknowledging that there isn't anything to prove either did anything wrong and that is it. I guess the cynic in me says they will likely hit us with at least a one year post season ban and maybe some scholarships taken away for a couple of years.

Last edited:
Reactions: heelmanwilm
Delaying the release right before LNWR with a bunch of recruits on campus only to have M Basketball affected in any significant way would be the worst possible marketing move the administration could have ever thought of. Regardless of the fundraiser the week prior. And based on how UNC has handled this so far, I'm sure the administration isn't foolish to do something like that if it is indeed bad news.

Just my 2 cents.

Delaying the release right before LNWR with a bunch of recruits on campus only to have M Basketball affected in any significant way would be the worst possible marketing move the administration could have ever thought of. Regardless of the fundraiser the week prior. And based on how UNC has handled this so far, I'm sure the administration isn't foolish to do something like that if it is indeed bad news.

Just my 2 cents.
Maybe, but you could also say that it would be better to have them on campus if it's bad news. You don't have to worry about them canceling the visit if they are already there and Roy can speak with them face to face about it the same day instead of over the phone or in person at a later date.

Reactions: RoseHeel
So, Littlejon, with the evidence provided exonerating football and MBB, the ncaa has WBB and WSoccer. WBB is going to receive some punishment for benefits to two players (writing papers) and WSoccer was a recruiting violation (?)...so yeah, I can see that not going well, but the ncaa bungled up its own NOA's in football and MBB being named in NOA1, then removed in NOA2, then added back in in NOA3...IMO, I think we are okay with football and MBB as they are not specifically mentioned in the 5 level I infractions.
Guess we'll all know tomorrow.

Reactions: Littlejon
So, Littlejon, with the evidence provided exonerating football and MBB, the ncaa has WBB and WSoccer. WBB is going to receive some punishment for benefits to two players (writing papers) and WSoccer was a recruiting violation (?)...so yeah, I can see that not going well, but the ncaa bungled up its own NOA's in football and MBB being named in NOA1, then removed in NOA2, then added back in in NOA3...IMO, I think we are okay with football and MBB as they are not specifically mentioned in the 5 level I infractions.
Guess we'll all know tomorrow.
Thanks Tom!

Of course, with the NCAA, you just never know what the heck they will do! Like you said, we'll see tomorrow.

I agree that this statement looks good, but it appears that it is actually from their meeting in July:

https://scout.com/college/north-car...Sparring-Over-Bylaw-Interpretation--105463025

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I agree that this statement looks good, but it appears that it is actually from their meeting in July:

https://scout.com/college/north-car...Sparring-Over-Bylaw-Interpretation--105463025

Yepp i just saw that myself. This is evidently old news. I misunderstood this as being recent. Oh well. Time for me to back track. Forget everything i posted. They are maintaining as @imajericho stated that the ACCESS to the courses not the courses themselves is the improper benefit. Evidently athletes found it easier to enroll in these classes than general students. This article u linked is the best explanation i’ve read yet. Dont know how i missed it til now.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Maybe, but you could also say that it would be better to have them on campus if it's bad news. You don't have to worry about them canceling the visit if they are already there and Roy can speak with them face to face about it the same day instead of over the phone or in person at a later date.

Also plausible.

Wow, it appears to be just that gaucho, they cut and pasted the same paragraph into todays release. The ncaa is screwed up and lazy.
But again, the courses were open to the entire student body.

All I know is it's almost over FINALLY... if you believe coach than men's bball is gonna be ok according to what he recently I mean like last Friday recently told little and Moore but who knows with the NCAA

Reactions: gauchoheel
All I know is it's almost over FINALLY... if you believe coach than men's bball is gonna be ok according to what he recently I mean like last Friday recently told little and Moore but who knows with the NCAA
I agree. I'm looking forward to seeing the report tomorrow, whatever it may contain.

Well WE should have the report in our hands NOW .... Admin Bubba etc ANY reports, inside stuff from " contacts" or GOOD sources Anyone???? Beuhler????

Well WE should have the report in our hands NOW .... Admin Bubba etc ANY reports, inside stuff from " contacts" or GOOD sources Anyone???? Beuhler????

According to andrew carter we wont have it til morning. The 24 hr thing is only that they give us 24 hr notice that the release is coming.

This is what I posted from originally, note it is in the article:

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – The next and potentially final step in the University of North Carolina’s years-long NCAA investigation into academic irregularities in the formerly named African and Afro-American Studies department will occur Friday when the NCAA releases its infraction report. Sources confirm the University was given 24 hours notice of the announcement schedule on Thursday morning.

The NCAA had planned to release the report last Friday, but UNC asked for it to be postponed, per sources, because of events surrounding the University's major fundraising campaign that was launching that day.

After multiple delays and three notices of allegations, UNC officials and the institution’s outside counsel, along with former AFAM department administrator Deborah Crowder and former faculty chair Jan Boxill, appeared before a panel of the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions in Nashville, Tenn. in August.

The NCAA enforcement staff alleged the following five violations last December.

1. African and Afro-American Studies student services manager Deborah Crowder and department professor/chair Julius Nyang'oro committed extra benefit and ethical conduct violations from 2002-11 by overseeing anomalous courses in the department and giving athletics personnel authority to impact aspects of the courses for student-athletes. School personnel committed extra benefits violation by leveraging the relationship with Crowder and Nyang'oro to provide special arrangements to student-athletes.

2. Academic counselor Jan Boxill provided extra benefits by way of impermissible academic assistance and special arrangements to women's basketball players from 2003-2010.

3. Crowder violated the NCAA principles of ethical conduct by failing to cooperate with the NCAA enforcement staff's requests.

4. Nyang'oro violated the NCAA principles of ethical conduct by failing to cooperate with the NCAA enforcement staff's requests.

5. Allegation No. 1 and No. 2 show school's failure to exercise institutional control and failure to monitor the conduct and administration of athletics programs.

In its written reply to UNC’s response to its third notice of allegations, the NCAA enforcement staff indicated the AFAM courses in question were not the focal point of the investigation, but rather the arrangements afforded to student-athletes with regard to those courses.

According to NCAA bylaws, once UNC receives the infractions report, it has 15 calendar days to decide if it wants to appeal the ruling. The NCAA website indicates a 110-day timeline for the appeals process. The decision of the Infractions Appeals Committee is final.

Author

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT