ADVERTISEMENT

Stats and stuff (Stanford game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and IIRC --- and I do --- I spent considerable time trying to tell some on here that there was absolutely no reason Kenny Williams couldn't become a major threat from 3 this season. Jes sayin'.

- Most folks woulda never thought we'd see a team keying on Luke, but Stanford was. I don't know if that affected him per se, but Luke did seem out of sorts with his shot, even when open. However, the good news on that was going out on Luke on the perimeter opened some things up for drives from our Guards, and JB took full advantage. BTW, despite not having a good shooting night, Luke gave us a solid 12 and 9... and added some sweet passes for 5 Assists.

- My biggest worry going in was our Bigs trying to guard, and boy, those issues started early. Our big pups haven't yet learned to play defense with their feet and Travis took full advantage, drawing foul after foul. Granted, he got a few bail-out calls on thwarted drives but he's a hoss to handle.

- We used 5 backcourt combos in the first half alone: JB/KW, JF/AP, JB/7th, JB/JF, JB/AP... then added a stint of Jalek and 7th together in the 2nd. Speaking of which, when JB was able to move off the ball it seemed to take some burden off of dribbling-and-gathering with the wrap on his hand and let him pick his spots. That being said, once Dog gets his hand 100% I'm thinking we'll see less of that. We're just a better team when he's at Point.

- We played mostly Hybrid, with a short 1st-half stint of Traditional with Manley at the 5 and Brooks at the 4. We finally went Small with Luke at the 5 at the 7:13 mark of the 2nd.

- Platek got a lot of good run tonight, logging 14 minutes. He finally got to see the ball go thru the basket in the 2nd half, but he's getting to play because 1. He plays strong Team defense, and 2. He understands spacing and playing within the system. When he subbed in at the 2 beside JB at the 2nd half Under-16 we went on a lightning 10-2 run in just 2:00 to establish our working margin. Can't wait for that offensive confidence light-bulb to go off. Like Kenny as a Freshman, Andrew needs to see a 3-ball go down, then watch out.

- Kudos to Huff, coming in as our third option at the 5, for giving a solid account and going 4/4 from the line. Especially important with Brooks having a rough night and Manley in perpetual foul trouble. Nice 8 and 5 for Huff.

- Back to Kenny Williams. We flat rode his hot hand and 6 3-pointers in the 1st half --- and once the rest of the offense started clicking he didn't force anything. Dude played a tremendous floor game, disrupting on D, taking charges, etc, etc.

- Jalek continues to have issues on D, and got out of control a couple of times, but gave a glimpse of his potential late with a nice baseline J and a posterizing of Stanford's big guy late.

- As I suspected, Haase had his boys ready for our transition game, and we only managed 8 Fast Break and 29 Secondary Break points. That normally spells trouble, but our half-court efficiency was aided by uncharacteristically scoring 30 points (!!!) off of set plays, with many coming off OB situations. We had 18 Blown Assists and 13 Blown Transition opportunities --- both numbers are too high --- but that was offset by shooting 51% from the floor and making 11 3s on 42.3% shooting. That comes out to 55% 2-pt shooting which was aided by the aforementioned ability to drive the ball into the lane as they chased Luke and were forced to get out on KW.

- Granted, whoever was keeping the official stats was a bit miserly, but we only recorded 15 Assists on 37 made shots. Part of that was blowing dimes, and again, guys being able to penetrate and score... and JB creating his own shot.

- And speaking of Berry, welcome back, Captain Dog! Even with that wrap still affecting his gathering of the ball, once he saw the ball go thru the hoop, it was vintage JB. Scoring from anywhere and everywhere, and of course being a holy terror on the defensive end. 29 pts and 4 (not 3) Dimes.

Well, the obvious concerns are getting the 3-headed Big rotation to learn to play D with their feet and their brains. They got trial by fire tonight. Yeah, Travis got away with a lot --- let's be honest --- but that's part of the learning curve. Whether it's bad D or generous zebras or a combination thereof, we can't be letting teams get to the FT line 28 times to our 15. And Garrison made himself a non-factor with foul trouble. On the other hand good to see our backcourt light it up and show some improved half-court offense. BUT... another quality win in a true road game.
3-0... :cool:

Nice win for the Tar Heels. In the post-game press conference, Joel said he put up 200 shots before shoot around, and we all saw the results. I love his work ethic.

Gobbler, Brooks ran into a couple of fouls early which slowed him but the other two guys were good.
Manley had an odd exchange near the end of game with Reid, Reid pushed him by the side of his neck and back of his neck after a made shot, drawing Reid a tech.
Everyone seems to be getting to the ball as evidenced by rebounds. Spacing was good. Also seemed (from a glance at the box) everyone is also handing out assists. We share the ball well.
Lots to like.

My main concern is the offensive fouls our bigs are getting called for. Was this an abnormally close called game or is their an area to work on? It looked to me on several, we were just posting up like I've seen us do throughout the years

Reactions: gary-7
Been saying since he got here. Kenny has a beautiful stroke and i keep expecting every shot to go in. We get Cam back we will be very dangerous. Bigs working hard, just need a lot of work.

Kenny's defense really stood out to me. He had a few possessions where his denial of the ball was outstanding and really disrupted Stanford from getting into their sets.

We're getting a feel of what we'll get from our bigs consistently. Great bodies for put backs and rebounding with the foul trouble and defensive lapses that come with freshman.

Welcome back JB. Beating a Stanford team this soundly across the country in just our 3rd game with a new group is extremely encouraging.

Reactions: Archer2 and gary-7
Another stat from last night, Carolina during Roy's tenure has played 32 true road games, at the opponents home court, to open basketball seasons.

In that same span of time, a nearby university has only played 11 true road games.

Guess we see the results in providing our kids the benefit of tough games early. That and it shines through in March.

Last edited:
I had been down on Kenny. He showed me last night that he is the real deal.

So great to see KW gaining confidence with every game. Love his game. He has seriously nice backspin on his 3 ball. The effect he has defensively is remarkable.

Some of the calls on the post-ups were, um, interesting.

The two early on Brooks were not that necessary. One that was the defensive, called early, honestly ref? Not 2 min in...

Last edited:
Nice to see strong man and Kenny go, an interested party in the stands was the Warriors GM. :cool:

Kenny has been a nice surprise this year, and the offense will only get better when Cam gets back to full strength.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Great stuff. What stood out to me, from what dadika said, was our denial of the basketball. Farnham was saying the Stanford was just throwing the ball everywhere when in fact it was the defensive pressure on the perimeter against there three Freshman guards that caused the turnovers. Kenny Williams anticipation was remarkable in the first half. That is the best 1st half of basketball I've seen KW play. To hit all those 3's in the first half and then continue to cause havoc on the defensive end, takes a lot of energy so lets make sure we take notice to the incredible effort he presented us to eventually spark us to a cruising road win.

What also stood out to me is the amount of rebounds or loose balls that Manley grabbed by just standing and reaching up for them. Man is he long! The only other player that I've seen look abnormally big on the court this year besides Manley is of course, Deandre Ayton. (I wouldn't mind not playing Arizona while he is in an Arizona uniform).

Playing in back to back national title games has given us an edge mentally over any team we play IMO. We know how hard we have to play. We don't scoreboard watch like it seem like we did in the past. We play hard for 40 minutes no matter what. (Ex. Platek block, Berry loose ball, Jalek wanting a dunk)

I have a good feeling that this team can go win the PK80. Hopefully we end up playing Michigan State in the championship because Izzo knows how that usually goes!

Nice to see strong man and Kenny go, an interested party in the stands was the Warriors GM. :cool:

I wonder if he was looking at Theo or Joel. Theo can do a lot of things at the forward spot(passing wise) as Draymond.

Did you notice the showdown going on between Berry and White? Especially later in the 1st half. They were going at each other. Looked like a few words of a competitive nature were exchanged.

5 position wasn't good.

I disagree....considering Stanford's front court is widely considered to be top 5 in the country, I thought our youngins handled themselves very well.....especially basically being virgins playing true legit bigs.....we got 3 bigs to rotate thru and I love the fact that last night it was our #3 that came in and performed....excited to watch their progression this year.....what really excites me is the growth over the next 4 years.....

I disagree....considering Stanford's front court is widely considered to be top 5 in the country

Eh...maybe top 10. You can't tell me that front court last night was better than Duke, UK, Witch St, USC, Mich St, A&M, Zona, Seton Hall, etc.

But I see your point, Stanford is definitely one of the toughest front courts we will face all year.

I have to admit I had high hopes going into the season (before Cam got hurt). After watching the first two games I've been a little worried just because of the front court. Our 3 freshman bigs need to work on D footwork badly. Tonight showed that again. I think of our last few low ranked big guys we had that have been projects to get them to compete, like James. I have noticed one thing these 3 are further along than years past (I know only 3 games in), they are not a liability on Offense. Which is very promising. How many times in the last 4years did you yell at the TV...Meeks dunk the f'ing ball? Huffman is growing on me fast. That guy tries to bring the goal down every time he gets the ball down low. He had one last night I was thinking no way he tries to dunk it and he did. If we can get the front court D improved we have a good chance to compete with anyone.

Berry & Pinson will get us to elite 8 barring injuries. Love this team and the way they share the ball. Seems like bigs have bought in early on their role, ability not effort will be their shortcoming unlike some recent bigs we have had in their early years. Also, if Luke has "off nights" like this we will be fine. Really quite surprised at how much he has developed. Nice road win on the other side of the country.

Need to keep reminding ourselves of what the expectations should be for this year's team so that people don't go crazy when things get tough at times. Heading into this season and taking into consideration the losses of our Bigs, the youth and inexperience of the new Bigs, the recruiting classes of our competition, injuries, etc., it would be a huge leap of faith to EXPECT this year's team to "cut down the nets."

Compete? Yes

Have some great/surprise wins? Definitely

Frustrate the living hell out of us at times and lose a game here and there we expected to win? Count on it

Make it to the tournament? Of course

Win a game or two? Hope so

Win the Championship? Highly unlikely but would be a dream come true for all Heels fans.

Root for them, and live and die through their games? That's what we do!!

Go Heels!

Need to keep reminding ourselves of what the expectations should be for this year's team so that people don't go crazy when things get tough at times. Heading into this season and taking into consideration the losses of our Bigs, the youth and inexperience of the new Bigs, the recruiting classes of our competition, injuries, etc., it would be a huge leap of faith to EXPECT this year's team to "cut down the nets."

Compete? Yes

Have some great/surprise wins? Definitely

Frustrate the living hell out of us at times and lose a game here and there we expected to win? Count on it

Make it to the tournament? Of course

Win a game or two? Hope so

Win the Championship? Highly unlikely but would be a dream come true for all Heels fans.

Root for them, and live and die through their games? That's what we do!!

Go Heels!
Exactly what I wanted to write after reading through this thread!
I do have a good feeling about this team, but not in a 16-17 way or even a 08-09 way..... rather it’s like 05-06.... a great bunch of kids, albeit with flaws, who’re very fun to watch..... they’re 3-0 having just won a true road game so they’ve almost exceeded expectations already!

Exactly what I wanted to write after reading through this thread!
I do have a good feeling about this team, but not in a 16-17 way or even a 08-09 way..... rather it’s like 05-06.... a great bunch of kids, albeit with flaws, who’re very fun to watch..... they’re 3-0 having just won a true road game so they’ve almost exceeded expectations already!
I agree! At best I was expecting a 2-1 start and at worst a 1-2 start. So to be 3-0 right now, they have exceeded what I was expecting.

My main concern is the offensive fouls our bigs are getting called for. Was this an abnormally close called game or is their an area to work on? It looked to me on several, we were just posting up like I've seen us do throughout the years

The refs were pretty pathetic with lots of home team calls/no calls, and our players knew it. Still beat Stanford like a bunch of pups. However, we were fortunate they couldn't throw a rock in the ocean from the FT line. As 'Sheed would say - "Ball don't lie!"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT