ADVERTISEMENT

Stay Positive

MWHeels

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
Tonight's game against Michigan State isn't going the way we all hoped, and barring a miracle, the Heels will head home with a 5-1 record. As fans, we have supported and praised these players through the first 5 wins, and we must continue to do so when they lose. It sucks to watch them lose, but it's not the end of the world. Roy will use this game and others throughout the season as teaching tools to make both individual players and the team better going forward. I said before that this season will have many ups and downs. We just have to take the good with the bad and enjoy the ride.

I agree that there is no need to panic based on this one game; however, I see some things to be concerned about. This is the first team we have played that has good big men and it has completely taken Maye and the freshmen bigs out of the game. The worry has always been with Maye having to compete against a bigger more athletic big man. The other thing is how rattled we got just because they blocked a couple shots early and got in our face defensively. We should be tougher than that with a veteran backcourt but instead, we played scared.

Yup.....momma said there would be days like this!!! Michigan State put it to us....credit to them!!! Heels played about as bad as they could.....a lot to learn from!!! Our young bigs met some men tonight!!!! hahahahaha Let's get ready for Michigan on Wed!

I agree that there is no need to panic based on this one game; however, I see some things to be concerned about. This is the first team we have played that has good big men and it has completely taken Maye and the freshmen bigs out of the game. The worry has always been with Maye having to compete against a bigger more athletic big man. The other thing is how rattled we got just because they blocked a couple shots early and got in our face defensively. We should be tougher than that with a veteran backcourt but instead, we played scared.

Izzo has always been a very good D coach.....Mich St has a great gameplan ready for us tonight!!!! Guys will learn from this I am sure!

Tonight's game against Michigan State isn't going the way we all hoped, and barring a miracle, the Heels will head home with a 5-1 record. As fans, we have supported and praised these players through the first 5 wins, and we must continue to do so when they lose. It sucks to watch them lose, but it's not the end of the world. Roy will use this game and others throughout the season as teaching tools to make both individual players and the team better going forward. I said before that this season will have many ups and downs. We just have to take the good with the bad and enjoy the ride.
With tonight’s effort we should be 5-2

As soon as they get back on campus all bigs should run straight to the weight room.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Y The earlier poster got it right Our inside game is poor right now and when we go "small" and cannot hit shots we are in deep trouble

The surprise to me is Platek getting the kind of minutes he does Woods and Felton are riding the pine at his expense

This is a real wake up call and we shall see how they responds vs Michigan WE got our tails kicked no excuses EVERY player needs to play much better. Terrible TEAM game lets learn from it and move on

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and shun1
The surprise to me is Platek getting the kind of minutes he does Woods and Felton are riding the pine at his expense
Platek so far is performing better than both of them, especially Woods. He deserves the minutes he is getting.

Hi MwHeels...THANK YOU...SMILE

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm torn between how to measure our usual early-season clunker game. In a way, it would have been better to lay the egg against a crappy team instead of folding like we did against a high-profile, Top-5 ranked team at the end of a multi-day tourney on prime time.

Either way, I've seen UNC play lights-out this season and I've seen them play horribly (tonight). I do not expect our seniors and juniors to play this poorly again... ever. The freshmen were going to get their "oh sh*t" game sooner or later. It has to come to pass. And, this will pass.

Beat Michigan and go forward.

Yup.....momma said there would be days like this!!! Michigan State put it to us....credit to them!!! Heels played about as bad as they could.....a lot to learn from!!! Our young bigs met some men tonight!!!! hahahahaha Let's get ready for Michigan on Wed!
Hi GACMAN...THANK YOU...SMILE

!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: GACMAN
Even the homer in me thought we had no shot tonight. Maye is going to struggle against big athletic front lines and our big men are freshmen. What surprised me was how bad Berry and Kenny played. I doubt our backcourt shoots that bad again, we’ll be fine

Reactions: dlew71
I agree with most post on here but I don't think any of us including are giving MSU enough credit their D is nasty!

Our D was pretty good we held them to 63 points and they made 10 3's I agree that's a lot but if they make only 5 of those 3's it is a 3 point game that is encouraging!

We will be fine!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and GACMAN
The best way to get better is by getting your butt kicked every once in a while. If this were last year and we were the title favorites, I'd have some concern about not being able to play with the best teams.

This season, take our lumps and learn from them. That will be a success in my mind.

Even the homer in me thought we had no shot tonight. Maye is going to struggle against big athletic front lines and our big men are freshmen. What surprised me was how bad Berry and Kenny played. I doubt our backcourt shoots that bad again, we’ll be fine

Even thou he has played great vs teams up to last night, this was my concern with Luke coming in to this season, how he handles playing against those big front lines we will see from teams like duke, FSU, Miami.

Michigan State is picked by many to win it all this year and is probably the best defensive team in the country. I'm not worried one iota about our team. If you recall last year, Virginia and Georgia Tech beat the heck out of the Heels and we know how the season ended. The Heels just played their worst game of the year. Glad they got it out of the way.

Reactions: FranktheHeel
Michigan State is picked by many to win it all this year and is probably the best defensive team in the country. I'm not worried one iota about our team. If you recall last year, Virginia and Georgia Tech beat the heck out of the Heels and we know how the season ended. The Heels just played their worst game of the year. Glad they got it out of the way.

How did the season end again? I forget.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and Steat
I don't have to remind myself to stay positive! I am always positive about my Heels! I expected one of these games at some point and I like the fact that it came in the Champ game of a tourney. They learned how to win getting there and now they learned what losing tastes and feels like! I believe our team is made up of competitors and I bet they are chomping at the bit to get back on the court and prove themselves.

The question in my mind is: Will they see Roy the teacher or Roy the executioner when the return to the practice court? I am certain he will hit just the right balance and have them breathing fire by Wednesday.

I agree with a lot of the thoughts above.

You can't judge a team on one rough game, you have to look at the entire sample, look at the way we played at Stanford and against Arkansas, also against a good UNI team. The ability to play strong and effective team basketball with guys diving all over the floor for loose balls, putting themselves out there and taking charges (which I love), playing with great energy on both ends, rebounding together, pushing the ball up the court, making the extra pass, locking down their defenders, finding the open man, getting the ball to the one with the hot hand and showing really strong chemistry is there. Having nights like yesterday will show the guys that when your having bad nights as a team and even individually, you have to be able to find a way to make a change because you are not going to have things go your way every night. But, the really good teams are the ones that are able to overcome their struggles in a game by finding something that works to their advantage leading them to make a change. This change will alter the course of the game in their favor leading them to be able to grind it out and get the win.

And I'm going to end on this thought, one bad game does not define a season, it's how we react to it and make ourselves better from it that defines who we really are as a team and how special we can be down the road. We have a Core of experienced and battle tested guys who not only know how to win based on past seasons, but are motivated to win right now.

And right now our only thought needs to be beating Michigan on Wednesday.
Which is exactly what we will do!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT