ADVERTISEMENT

Tar Heels vs Tigers gamethread

With better offensive play calling this team could be 5-0 with a win against the #1 ranked team in the country. Give Bateman a huge raise and find a new OC

Reactions: strummingram
The defense was amazing today against the #1 team. I don't agree with a 2pt conversion at the end. But, it's over now. I never expected to even have a remote chance at beating this team. I hope it lifts the spirits and confidence of the team, as a whole. Another huge game next week.

Reactions: Carolina Way
The defense was amazing today against the #1 team. I don't agree with a 2pt conversion at the end. But, it's over now. I never expected to even have a remote chance at beating this team. I hope it lifts the spirits and confidence of the team, as a whole. Another huge game next week.

Yeah I'm dancing back and forth between frustration and excitement/optimism about rest is the year.

Had we not lost to wake and app state I'd probably be feeling a lot better. Rest of the way is just a massive unknown. I'd feel better with another win or two in our pockets. Bowl game would do wonders for this team and staff

Man this one stings a lot having been so close
Reminds me of the 1981 game, we lost 10-8

I was in Boy Scouts and we were out earning a hiking merit badge and listening to the game as best we could on a transistor handheld radio!

D looked better but still room for improvements especially in the defensive backfield. As for the two point try I agree with it just not sure we could’ve kept them from scoring with a short field in OT. Not into moral victories....they suck they are for losers but we went toe to toe with big bad Clemson and really should’ve won. We can play with anybody including Clemson. I had a feeling we had a chance just because everybody was saying we didn’t and they may take us too lightly. This does hurt especially wanted it for the guys who put in the sweat and pain to make us the fans happy. It would’ve been so sweet. Hold your heads up high and build upon this. You can learn so much from a loss. Tar Heel proud.

Sorry for venting here but it’s either this or a trip to the store to pick up a lot of beer. This sucks. At least we’ll be getting positive press for the next week as people talk about us hanging with clemson. Analysts are already talking about how bad that play call was.

I dunno if the defense could have held them from scoring again with the amount of time that was left. But, in my opinion, the game can continue if you tie it up. It cannot continue if you're behind at the end of regulation. I'd rather force Clemson to beat us in OT.

I guess it's 6-of-1/Half-dozen the other, but, I would have opted for OT.

Howell didn’t have his best game but came through in the clutch. Just needs to finish some of his throws (some seemed to be short armed). Some of howell’s Problems came from the oline break downs gotta clean that up.

I dunno if the defense could have held them from scoring again with the amount of time that was left. But, in my opinion, the game can continue if you tie it up. It cannot continue if you're behind at the end of regulation. I'd rather force Clemson to beat us in OT.

I guess it's 6-of-1/Half-dozen the other, but, I would have opted for OT.

Understood and you may be right.

Sorry for venting here but it’s either this or a trip to the store to pick up a lot of beer. This sucks. At least we’ll be getting positive press for the next week as people talk about us hanging with clemson. Analysts are already talking about how bad that play call was.
The Yahoo! Sports Front Page has Clemson & UNC "Clemson survives BIG SCARE by UNC!"

Hopefully recruits will be thinking they could be the difference in losing by one vs beating #1.

Dammit this sucks
Yeah, it does. But, put this in perspective, here. NO ONE expected the slightest possibility of that ending. I was hoping they could keep Clemson scoring under 40 points. If someone had told me that it would be tied with under 2 minutes, I would have considered it manna from heaven. If the little loose-ends can be tied-up, it will be fine. I'm more optimistic after this game than the last 2 games!!!

Reactions: franklin street
Yeah, it does. But, put this in perspective, here. NO ONE expected the slightest possibility of that ending. I was hoping they could keep Clemson scoring under 40 points. If someone had told me that it would be tied with under 2 minutes, I would have considered it manna from heaven. If the little loose-ends can be tied-up, it will be fine. I'm more optimistic after this game than the last 2 games!!!

I am too. But it also makes the losses to wake and app seem silly. If we were 4-1 with a one point loss to clemson then we would be hands down favorites to win the coastal and probably be on course for a really solid bowl appearance. I guess this still proves we can win the division but it’s hard not to think about what could have been.

I am too. But it also makes the losses to wake and app seem silly. If we were 4-1 with a one point loss to clemson then we would be hands down favorites to win the coastal and probably be on course for a really solid bowl appearance. I guess this still proves we can win the division but it’s hard not to think about what could have been.

The losses to wake and app are mind blowing and really unacceptable

It's still not very far from that being the outcome. Wake is for real this season. App State... I still don't understand that one. I bet ASU is in a bowl game!

Howell had a rough game and it was still close. I'm a "defense first" kind of person. I'd much rater have the best defense than offense. To be able to keep Clemson to 21 points is pretty damned good.

If anything, it looked more like Clemson isn't all that impervious and indestructible, by a long shot.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
It's still not very far from that being the outcome. Wake is for real this season. App State... I still don't understand that one. I bet ASU is in a bowl game!

Howell had a rough game and it was still close. I'm a "defense first" kind of person. I'd much rater have the best defense than offense. To be able to keep Clemson to 21 points is pretty damned good.

If anything, it looked more like Clemson isn't all that impervious and indestructible, by a long shot.

Clemson did seem a lot less impressive than I expected. I don’t understand how our defense looked better against them than against wake and app. Have to chalk it up to great coaching that is improving the defense week after week as he gets more time with them. Bateman is the real deal. It’s crucial that we keep him in chapel hill.

Here is the perfect two point play that no one will run.

WR on left side runs slant across to back of endzone continue to the right. QB rolls right with running back going right like an option, WR on right side stays on the right side. TE on the left blocks for a few seconds then sprints to the left corner.

QB stops rolling right and throws back to the left and I bet no one is near the TE.

Reactions: Archer2
Especially when you think about the missed opportunities we had.

An onside kick recovery away from a second chance too.

Yep that was a perfect onside kick but our guys overran the deflection. Ughhhhhhh

I listened to the game on the NC radio network because of travel. But, the play-calling had to be okay if the Heels were even within reach to win it at the end. There was no room for error to beat Clemson, and that last play-call was an error, apparently, I only heard it, I didn't see it. I was kinda ticked-off that they even chose to go for 2, but figured "wth, do or die!"

I listened to the game on the NC radio network because of travel. But, the play-calling had to be okay if the Heels were even within reach to win it at the end. There was no room for error to beat Clemson, and that last play-call was an error, apparently, I only heard it, I didn't see it. I was kinda ticked-off that they even chose to go for 2, but figured "wth, do or die!"
I think the 2-point play was Longo trying to out-smart Venables, like Vizzini in The Princess Bride. I think Longo thought that Venables would first plan to stop Howell passing, and then Venables would think that Longo was trying to trick him, so then Venables would focus on stopping Williams from running between the tackles, with a secondary focus on preventing anybody open in the end zone.

And so Longo decided to have Howell run an option, which would make him look like a genius.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT