ADVERTISEMENT

Tar Heels vs Tigers gamethread

no problem with the call, just a problem with the play selection.

like said, run a play that picks or rubs their guy, make the official make a call...that call looked unrehearsed, or maybe they diagnosed it so well it looked that bad.

i’ll say this again, why aren’t we running the ball more in more situations???

like said, run a play that picks or rubs their guy, make the official make a call...that call looked unrehearsed, or maybe they diagnosed it so well it looked that bad.

I think Brian Simmons is the co-announcer on the Tar Heel network radio broadcast I was listening to, today. He was saying the same thing. He was emphatic about using the rushing attack more and more.

The "near-loss" might cost Clemson their #1 ranking. So, that's a victory!

Another play I like..

Put Javonte under center with Strowbridge and Crawford in the backfield. Javonte up the middle with Strow and Crawford pushing. If Clemson stops that much beef then just shake their hand.

I think Brian Simmons is the co-announcer on the Tar Heel network radio broadcast I was listening to, today. He was saying the same thing. He was emphatic about using the rushing attack more and more.

The "near-loss" might cost Clemson their #1 ranking. So, that's a victory!

The SEC talking heads are already dropping us below Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma and Ohio State. We don’t care where start... it’s who finishes #1 that matters. Back to work.

The SEC talking heads are already dropping us below Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma and Ohio State. We don’t care where start... it’s who finishes #1 that matters. Back to work.

Im not knocking Clemson, they are good.. but those 6 you listed are pretty good too. I'm hoping to see Oklahoma vs Alabama in a semi.. Hurts vs Saban would be quite the story.

Agree with the first and second statements.

As for running the ball probably because of the lack of consistency from the oline.

And, from the broadcast, my only issue with the refs was Sam getting popped by the Clemson D after a Clemson TO. Where was the flag???

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Reminds me of the 1981 game, we lost 10-8

I was in Boy Scouts and we were out earning a hiking merit badge and listening to the game as best we could on a transistor handheld radio!

Only other UNC/Clemson game I have been to. Ending was similar but we were far from 29 point underdogs that year.

Reactions: strummingram
With better offensive play calling this team could be 5-0 with a win against the #1 ranked team in the country. Give Bateman a huge raise and find a new OC

We give Bateman the credit for the defensive turn around but what about Thigpen? He is co-defensive coordinator along with Bateman does he deserve credit too? He has done a pretty good job with the LBs too.

One suggestion to Bateman and Bly teach the DBs to turn their head when the ball is in the air.

Last edited:
We give Bateman the credit for the defensive turn around but what about Thigpen? He is co-defensive coordinator along with Bateman does he deserve credit too? He has done a pretty good job with the LBs too.

For sure

Play calling is still too predictable but there is no doubt we’re moving in the right direction pretty quickly. Not only were we competitive, my hope, we came within a whisker of staging the biggest upset in UNC football history.

My other hope was that Sam would still be standing at the end. Not only was he standing, but standing tall. That guy is special folks.

One other note. The announcers kept talking about the crowd noise, how it disrupted Clemson’s OL, and what a great college football environment it was. The recruits in attendance and elsewhere had to love it!

As a matter of fact, so did I. Would have loved to see the Bell Tower light up on national television.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
One other note. The announcers kept talking about the crowd noise, how it disrupted Clemson’s OL, and what a great college football environment it was. The recruits in attendance and elsewhere had to love it!
Greg Mcilroy said it was 10x better then when he was deciding between UNC and Alabama.... It sounded awesome even on television

Reactions: gteeitup
The false starts weren’t do to crowd noise. It was due to your defensive line stemming. TV crowd noise has a lot to do with where TV places there mics. I’ve been to games where it sounds much louder on TV than it did at the game. Good crowd though. Nice to see a full stadium instead of what we’ve seen the last few years.

Does Lawrence normally run that much (11 times)? Maybe it was just him taking what was available at times, but I would think Clemson fans wouldn't want to see him risk getting hit that much.

Does Lawrence normally run that much (11 times)? Maybe it was just him taking what was available at times, but I would think Clemson fans wouldn't want to see him risk getting hit that much.

He’s ran a lot this year. It’s by design. Dabo has stated many times his offense will always run the QB

Reactions: TarHeelMark
carolina can win out...i really think the page has turned unless some catastrophic injuries occur.

rene is the only one gone for the year, right?

I think Matthew Flint is done for the year as well, torn ACL I believe. Sure could use Polino back.
I'm hoping we get Polino and Ruder back after the bye week, for the stretch run. A healthy Polino could solidify the OL, and a healthy Ruder should mean that we breathe easier regarding possible Howell injury.

when bly was first hired he stated that db's not playing the ball drove him nuts watching carolina.
That's because he always saw the ball. He made certain to keep turning his head to get a line on the pass so he could try to intercept or knock it away.

They’re already doing a better job of that but we’re very young in the secondary, much like our OL. Our tackling is light years better than last year. We are already more fundamentally sound than we were during Fed’s whole tenure, but it’s still the first year of a rebuilding process.

Watched the replay on TV. The crowd sounded better than I thought. Maybe my opinion was based on where I was sitting near the Clemson section. Watching the replay, we should have run the ball more. Our OL did not play well and your OL played really well. Good things ahead for you guys.

I'm hoping we get Polino and Ruder back after the bye week, for the stretch run. A healthy Polino could solidify the OL, and a healthy Ruder should mean that we breathe easier regarding possible Howell injury.
Amen to this. Polino would indeed solidify our young OL, his experience is invaluable. And having Ruder back would ease my mind somewhat with regards to our QB situation. The thought of Amendola having to start scares me.

Watched the replay on TV. The crowd sounded better than I thought. Maybe my opinion was based on where I was sitting near the Clemson section. Watching the replay, we should have run the ball more. Our OL did not play well and your OL played really well. Good things ahead for you guys.
Our OL is very young, composed of freshmen and sophomores with the exception of Heck, who is a senior. Considering that we lost Polino(our senior starting center), and were without Heck against Wake Forest, I think the OL has played pretty well. With so many underclassmen getting major PT, and some good recruits right behind the starters, the future looks bright for our OL.

And yes, the announcers kept saying the crowd was loud and involved, something that hasn't always been the norm in the past, but something we're hoping will be the norm in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT