ADVERTISEMENT

Terrible, awful, very bad calls

Dec 5, 2005
Down 34-24 in the 4th with 11:50 to go, the ball on about the 50, the staff calls two running plays in a row which eat up the clock and gain essentially nothing. The 3rd down play is a pass that ASU deflects and we punt. ASU makes a first down after the punt and we are starved for time on the comeback. Really awful play calling on those two running plays. Given all the mistakes we made, we had a good shot at winning the game except for those two running plays which netted nothing and melted the clock in ASU's favor. JMO.

Not the greatest evaluation of players during recruiting by the previous regime, and UNC's onslaught of injuries, cause that loss. Not play calling. Sure, we can all point to this and that in hindsight. That's easy. But the coaches do watch film all week and know Apps normal tendencies much more than any of us experts sitting in the stands. Sometimes they guess right. Sometimes they guess wrong. I've seen the same type call bust wide open many times because the other team was in the wrong defense.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Not the greatest evaluation of players during recruiting by the previous regime, and UNC's onslaught of injuries, cause that loss. Not play calling. Sure, we can all point to this and that in hindsight. That's easy. But the coaches do watch film all week and know Apps normal tendencies much more than any of us experts sitting in the stands. Sometimes they guess right. Sometimes they guess wrong. I've seen the same type call bust wide open many times because the other team was in the wrong defense.
Our offensive talent is superior across the board to App by a large amount. We have some of the best skill players in the ACC.

yes, but without a healthy, halfway decent offensive line there's no way they can use that talent.
We were down 2 starters against App and A Derwin has played plenty in big games. No reason to get abused like that. Charlotte putt up 500 yards on App.

We were down 2 starters against App and A Derwin has played plenty in big games. No reason to get abused like that. Charlotte putt up 500 yards on App.
And we put up 469... Do you believe that App was as pumped to play Charlotte as they were to play us?? I hate when analysts and fans compare what teams do against other teams especially when you are talking college or high school kids

Longo has got to open up the playbook. I'd rather have Sam throw a few more picks this year being aggressive with downfield passing, so that he's better prepared for the next year three years. If they aren't being conservative, and this is just what Longo's play calling looks like, then we need to find a new OC for 2020.

That being said, poor execution makes bad play calling look even worse.

Our offensive talent is superior across the board to App by a large amount. We have some of the best skill players in the ACC.

Outside of Clemson, having great skill players in the ACC isn't exactly a claim to greatness. I know folks look at things with Carolina Blue glasses on. I often do myself. But there is a reason this program found itself in the position it did the last couple of years, and the last two weeks. Remember four, or five years, ago when things were going well and most thought that Fedora was an offensive genius? He didnt change the way they called games. But something did. The record was proof of that. Then this same collection of talent goes through a coaching change. A change of system. Is playing with a very good, but still a true freshman QB. I know it is always easy for fans to blame the coaches, play calling after the fact, officials, for their teams failures. But 95% of the time, it is simply talent. And right now UNCs talent level isn't nearly as good as many want to believe that it is.

Outside of Clemson, having great skill players in the ACC isn't exactly a claim to greatness. I know folks look at things with Carolina Blue glasses on. I often do myself. But there is a reason this program found itself in the position it did the last couple of years, and the last two weeks. Remember four, or five years, ago when things were going well and most thought that Fedora was an offensive genius? He didnt change the way they called games. But something did. The record was proof of that. Then this same collection of talent goes through a coaching change. A change of system. Is playing with a very good, but still a true freshman QB. I know it is always easy for fans to blame the coaches, play calling after the fact, officials, for their teams failures. But 95% of the time, it is simply talent. And right now UNCs talent level isn't nearly as good as many want to believe that it is.
Fedora is an offensive genius. Yes he was in over his head as the HC but the man is a dynamic offensive mind. It’s why Texas scooped him up right away.

Longo, on the other hand, was Mack’s 3rd or 4th choice. If he was a dynamic, he wouldn’t still be an OC at this point.

Fedora is an offensive genius. Yes he was in over his head as the HC but the man is a dynamic offensive mind. It’s why Texas scooped him up right away.

Longo, on the other hand, was Mack’s 3rd or 4th choice. If he was a dynamic, he wouldn’t still be an OC at this point.
I know you're a Fed fan, but you're jumping the shark when you call him a genius.

The offensive line coming into the season was one injury away from going from decent to struggling.. had several injuries. Excuse?.. fact?

Down 10 in the 4th and still running the ball did not help in my opinion. 3rd and 8 leaves one play to get the first. If Howell throws on 1st and 2nd and are incomplete is 3rd and 10 that much worst than 3rd and 8?

I hate the tunnel screen.

App. St will not make the college playoffs.. but they are not a horrible team.

Not much the staff can do, true freshmen QB and what's left from a 2-10 team, I know you want miracles but its not going to happen... Now no back up QB so it will get more conservative , the only problem that is glaring from what I see is the Beat up O line is getting beat pretty bad... Sam Howell played on horrible High school teams and willed out victories ( his team from last year is losing every game by 30 this year) so waiting to see him perform with equal talent some day..

Down 34-24 in the 4th with 11:50 to go, the ball on about the 50, the staff calls two running plays in a row which eat up the clock and gain essentially nothing. The 3rd down play is a pass that ASU deflects and we punt. ASU makes a first down after the punt and we are starved for time on the comeback. Really awful play calling on those two running plays. Given all the mistakes we made, we had a good shot at winning the game except for those two running plays which netted nothing and melted the clock in ASU's favor. JMO.
I was yelling the same thing at the TV. If we had been down just 1 score, then the running plays would have been much less risky. Down 2 scores, we needed to save clock.

Reactions: uncfootball-
I know you're a Fed fan, but you're jumping the shark when you call him a genius.
Fedora is an offensive genius in a way not that dissimilar from how Dick Crum was a genius. At Miami of OH, Crum won a bowl over an SEC team, which Fedora could never hope to do. But Crum got stuck in 1970s football, and by the mid-80s that made him a dinosaur.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Absolutely agree. Being unable to defend our home field against a non-power 5 team is embarrassing.
We'll agree to disagree. They returned 17 of 22 starters, most of which were upperclassmen. They won four straight bowl games.

The Mountaineers competed in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) from its founding in 1978 to 2013. They won three straight national championships from 2005 to 2007, the first FCS team to do so since the playoffs began in 1978. They were also the first Division I program to win three consecutive national championships since Army accomplished the feat from 1944 to 1946,[5] and the first Division I school in the modern era to claim three straight undisputed national titles.[6] Appalachian became the first FCS team to receive votes in the final Associated Press (AP) college football poll on January 8, 2008

For all you who think we're light years above App, think differently.

We'll agree to disagree. They returned 17 of 22 starters, most of which were upperclassmen. They won four straight bowl games.

The Mountaineers competed in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) from its founding in 1978 to 2013. They won three straight national championships from 2005 to 2007, the first FCS team to do so since the playoffs began in 1978. They were also the first Division I program to win three consecutive national championships since Army accomplished the feat from 1944 to 1946,[5] and the first Division I school in the modern era to claim three straight undisputed national titles.[6] Appalachian became the first FCS team to receive votes in the final Associated Press (AP) college football poll on January 8, 2008

For all you who think we're light years above App, think differently.
We have more talent, and it's apparent we are not light years better. That's embarrassing.

We have more talent, and it's apparent we are not light years better. That's embarrassing.
There’s a reason dook and KY don’t win the title in basketball every year, despite having the most talent by far. It’s called experience. Have no fear. These growing pains, coupled with more talented recruiting classes, will reap dividends in the near future.

There’s a reason dook and KY don’t win the title in basketball every year, despite having the most talent by far. It’s called experience. Have no fear. These growing pains, coupled with more talented recruiting classes, will reap dividends in the near future.
We weren't playing in a tournament and dook/Ky don't routinely lose to inferior opponents either.

I really don't think that's a remotely accurate comparison here.

Let's use a football program that is similar to those two you mentioned- Clemson, or Georgia, or Ohio State, you name it. They aren't losing to Appalachian State, or Western Michigan, or Georgia Southern, or... you get the idea. And, certainly not at their home field!

I agree that App State is definitely no slouch team. They are used to winning games. They also have experience. They have good coaching. That's why they win. But, UNC has much better players, as far as talent-wise. UNC was AT HOME, and they let App State kick their ass. That's just... bad, all around. It looks bad for potential recruits, for sure. It also kills a lot of fan support. Why come to a home game and lose to App State?

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
carolina is trying to establish that they are the best program in the state...then in the division...then in the conference...then...

so, at this point they can beat a lot of teams, but can also lose to a lot of teams...i honestly felt different under fedora; can beat anyone, but shocked losing to scarolina, duke, etc.

this is the classic version of building a program.

Reactions: Archer2
There’s a reason the line was what it was. Mack inherited a program that was in bad shape. Our margin of error for victory is very slim. Losing some of our best, most experienced players made that margin razor thin.

Patience grasshopper.

Have you guys not watched college football the last decade, UNC has been terrible and App State has been great... I mean Heels could have won the game but Most people when this game was scheduled saw it as a loss .. Yes I saw big strong players on the Blue Side , but I saw better situational players on the other...

And as stated earlier it was a coaching mis match of biblical proportions

There’s a reason dook and KY don’t win the title in basketball every year, despite having the most talent by far. It’s called experience.....
and luck (injuries, scheduling, poor officiating, etc). my wild guess is that factors over which you have no control are about 10-20% of success in sports (and in life). this is not an excuse because luck favors those who are prepared, but as 5 time world series champion lefty gomez once said, "i'd rather be lucky than good." our tar heels are learning and working hard, and i've got to believe some luck is gonna come our way.

Reactions: Archer2
Have you guys not watched college football the last decade, UNC has been terrible and App State has been great... I mean Heels could have won the game but Most people when this game was scheduled saw it as a loss .. Yes I saw big strong players on the Blue Side , but I saw better situational players on the other...
I agree.

I mean Heels could have won the game but Most people when this game was scheduled saw it as a loss .. Yes I saw big strong players on the Blue Side , but I saw better situational players on the other...
That on the OL is what may trouble me most, and for the future.

At Miami, Searles had large OLs that apparently were very strong, and he had more 5* and 4* OL talent than UNC has, or ever had. And his Miami OLs ranged from mediocre to poor. At VT, Searles' OLs did not lack size, but they were mediocre.

To move this past Searles, FSU has a very large OL that sucked last year and is not much better this year. When Bobby Bowden hit his decline in 2001, the FSU OL sucked, and it was huge. The UNC DL out flanked it, was much quicker, and made it look like a bunch of over weight HS boys.

I am not not, and never have been, high on Searles. I think he is a mediocre OL coach. And I have strong doubts that his vision for an Air Raid OL ( which includes: as big as we can get 'em) is most likely to produce the best results.

I'd like to see Mack hire current Washington St OL coach Mason Miller. He has worked under Hal Mumme as well as Leach. He might be too loyal to Leach to leave Pullman (Leach was his OC when he played at Valdosta St), but he knows Air Raid OL play. He has the specific knowledge about what to emphasize to produce improvement for an Air Raid OL.

Tinkering with a staff is necessary until you get it fully right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT