ADVERTISEMENT

the co-DC route

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
So Mack is playing politics. He gets an old buddy whose best days - save some decent time in 2013 - are long, long ago. And he names Thigpen co-DC, which will stave off complaints about Robinson from many alums, especially former players.

So Mack is playing politics. He gets an old buddy whose best days - save some decent time in 2013 - are long, long ago. And he names Thigpen co-DC, which will stave off complaints about Robinson from many alums, especially former players.

It definitely makes the Robinson hire a tad bit better. I'm just wondering if Chizik was offered the job and declined, or if Robinson was the plan all along.

It definitely makes the Robinson hire a tad bit better. I'm just wondering if Chizik was offered the job and declined, or if Robinson was the plan all along.
My guess is it was Robinson. Mack may have expected someone like Chizik to accept being co-DC, but that would have been a most foolish expectation.

Robinson is not the kind of DC to excite recruits. Nor is there any reason to believe that he has had recent insights into stopping offenses to make him much better than he was at Michigan.

I have never read anyone from the inside claiming that Thigpen is a top DC just waiting to be named. It is a given he is a great recruiter, and most people have seen him as a very good position coach. But many guys who are both of those cannot be adequate, much less very good, coordinators.

Our D is not in nearly good enough shape to risk being elevated by an aged and perhaps well over the hill Robinson and a newbie at DCing whose great successes have been preponderantly about recruiting.

And we do have Dre Bly for CB coaching.

We know he was a UNC All-American. We know he played on a Super Bowl champ. But this job is about coaching DBs on the college level. Has Bly ever, even a single season, been a DB coach in the NFL? In the Group of 5? In 1AA? In D2? In D3? In Juco football?

Is Bly recognized widely for being the most brilliant and successful DB coach in NC HS football? If so, he deserves a shot certainly at D2 and 1AA schools in the area and perhaps even a UNC-Charlotte. But at a P5 school?

Have our DBs been so well coached the past 2 or 3 years that we can afford to have a CB coach who not only has never coached in college football but is fairly new to high school coaching?

Is Mack under the impression that coaching can be replaced by osmosis: Bly was a great DB, so his players will absorb that greatness from his presence?

Do you think these are the guys Mack actually wanted, or do he get a low budget for the staff and these are all he could afford?

Do you think these are the guys Mack actually wanted, or do he get a low budget for the staff and these are all he could afford?
I can't decide. It could be either, along with Mack's desire to do something for former players and former assistants.

Brewster has remained a very successful assistant coach at FSU and A&M. But Robinson has failed to achieve anything for a long time, and Bly has 0 experience.

Ok this is a dream, or an onion article that has lasted way too long. Wake me up when this is over..

Chizik was never coming BACK to UNC. I doubt they even considered him. I don't even get the love for Gene Chizik. IMO, he sucked when he was at UNC!

Chizik was never coming BACK to UNC. I doubt they even considered him. I don't even get the love for Gene Chizik. IMO, he sucked when he was at UNC!
The D did improve some while he was here, but it was nothing phenomenal. In his defense, it can't be easy to have your D on the field as much as you do with a Fedora coached team.

Last edited:
Mack is in trouble.
Having a staff in you pocket is part of winning the job, isn't it Bubba?

The D did improve some while he was here, but it was nothing phenomenal. In his defense, it can't be easy to have your D on the field as much as you do with a Fedora coached team.
Oh, sure it did. It couldn't get much worse. I was trying to put more emphasis on the idea that Chizik wasn't coming BACK to UNC.

I don't think the UNC football program appeals to very many people, to be frank.

I think our D had the best improvement in the country from 2014 to 2015. That was Chizik.

Even with the Fedora offense still in place, Chizik came in and made a big improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT