ADVERTISEMENT

The End of OAD

Oh I know I was just saying that he commited then blew up in The McDonald's game and decided to go to the league
I believe he had a legal issue, that kinda pushed him to the NBA, I believe if not for that he would have attended UNC. I may be wrong, but seems he was 420 friendly and his scholly got pulled, and he went to the league. If I am wrong I stand corrected but if it wasnt him it was someone!

I believe he had a legal issue, that kinda pushed him to the NBA, I believe if not for that he would have attended UNC. I may be wrong, but seems he was 420 friendly and his scholly got pulled, and he went to the league. If I am wrong I stand corrected but if it wasnt him it was someone!
Jameson Curry wasn't it? Was selling drugs at school got scholly pulled and ended up at ok state?

Last edited:
Soooo, I agree.

That said, I think this hurts us long term.

Think about it, a lot of prospects that we've landed recently we haven't really competed against the UK's, Duke's, Arizona's of the world. They've focused on the OAD kid while we've found the sweet spot of 25-75 (Coby, Leaky, Francis, Jalek, Tony, 7th, etc.).

Now, because there is less of a talent pool going to college, the kids going straight to the pros will get less focus from UK, Duke, etc. and they will have to turn their focus to the kids ranked in our sweet spot range. It's just simply more and better competition for the same group of kids.

I get that we're going to start winning some of these head to head battles now because the type of kid will be different and more toward what we pitch but the numbers of it don't work out well for us.
Yep. This is a point I've raised before. More predators, smaller herd.

Similar to the 24-second clock argument. People hear that and think it will be great for us because we're a high-tempo team. But the thing is, everyone will have to become a high-tempo team and, inevitably, some of those coaches who make the change will turn out to be really good at it. We'll still do well, but not necessarily better.

Yep. This is a point I've raised before. More predators, smaller herd.

Similar to the 24-second clock argument. People hear that and think it will be great for us because we're a high-tempo team. But the thing is, everyone will have to become a high-tempo team and, inevitably, some of those coaches who make the change will turn out to be really good at it. We'll still do well, but not necessarily better.

I understand what you're saying here. It may be a challenge. But it's not like Carolina basketball just started having success since the start of the OAD boom. We were winning both ACC and National Championships when every top program was going after the same type of player. And with Roy, I have no doubt we will continue to be a successful program.

I think J.R. and his millions upon millions of dollars and his NBA title will disagree with anyone thinking he made a bad decision there.

I didn't see the part about players leaving early and not being ready! I was just referring to him blowing up in the McDonald's game and entering the draft! I misread it!

If they did this change in time for 2018 recruits to go directly into the draft, would we lose anyone? Little?

Yeah, Little would be about our only loss and honestly, with leaky coming in he would fit right in to that Theo wing facilitator role. Now duke on the other hand would lose Tripster, Bagley, Duval, maybe Trent and Bolden from the current roster and would lose Barret and Reddish from the 18 class. If they lost all or most of that, they likely lose their head coach as well.

What's your rationale for saying it's impossible.

Well for one thing it has to go through the union and collective bargaining etc. none of that would even start until after the NBA season. doing the math on that means it's virtually impossible as I said.

I think the 2019 draft is more realistic for the start of the new rule.

Well for one thing it has to go through the union and collective bargaining etc. none of that would even start until after the NBA season. doing the math on that means it's virtually impossible as I said.
If Silver wants no restrictions it would be signed off immediately. If he wants a baseball type rule then you are right.

If Silver wants no restrictions it would be signed off immediately. If he wants a baseball type rule then you are right.

I would be shocked if it's changed with no restrictions. The "baseball" 0 or 2/3 deal is more likely to happen.

He said he wants them earlier so they can develop in the NBA. He essentially said there was no value for Simmons and Fulz to go through a wasted year on teams that don't play post season basketball. The trend of OAD going to NCAA backwaters is forcing a rethink.

I would be shocked if it's changed with no restrictions. The "baseball" 0 or 2/3 deal is more likely to happen.
Respectfully disagree, I honestly believe the more likely is a no rule.

He said he wants them earlier so they can develop in the NBA. He essentially said there was no value for Simmons and Fulz to go through a wasted year on teams that don't play post season basketball. The trend of OAD going to NCAA backwaters is forcing a rethink.
Right but it’s not up to him. It has to be agreed upon between the owners and players union.

Respectfully disagree, I honestly believe the more likely is a no rule.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-draft-news-adam-silver-looking-to-re-shape-1-and-done-rule/

"Any alterations that may potentially be made would have to be agreed upon by both the NBA and the NBPA before things can go that route. There is a sense that Silver is pushing to end the one-and-done rule while also agreeing to put forth a new role that players entering college must stay at least two years before declaring for the draft."

I have no problem with that at all! We're not seeing them in Carolina blue as it is.

We aren't? I mean Roy is still pulling in top 20-30 guys. Basically formed the core of our championship team last year.

Also, it's not good for the college game as a whole if too many of the top hs guys don't come to college. Let's hope they figure something out that benefits both sports. The last thing I want to see is pure mediocrity and average talent across the board in college.

We aren't? I mean Roy is still pulling in top 20-30 guys. Basically formed the core of our championship team last year.

Also, it's not good for the college game as a whole if too many of the top hs guys don't come to college. Let's hope they figure something out that benefits both sports. The last thing I want to see is pure mediocrity and average talent across the board in college.

20-30 ranked guys are not OAD types. Changing the rules does not mean that those kids would enter the draft out of HS or go to Europe to play. It would probably only affect top 10 or so.

I have no problem with that at all! We're not seeing them in Carolina blue as it is.

This is what we are seeing in Carolina Blue

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: itstartedwithmj
I hate the 2 and done rule as well. Example it was no reason for a player like Melo to stay another year after what he accomplished.

Let the kids go to the league anytime they want and PAY MORE and/or build up the sorry G League more.

Let kids go when they’re ready... no, not when an agent tells them they’re ready but when the league evaluated them and gives them honest feedback and appraisal.
So for the Dwight Howard’s, Lebrons, Durants, Yeah, go straight outta high school, then keen evaluating and assessing kids each year.

I hate the 2 and done rule as well. Example it was no reason for a player like Melo to stay another year after what he accomplished.

Let the kids go to the league anytime they want and PAY MORE and/or build up the sorry G League more.
I agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT