ADVERTISEMENT

The Grad Transfer Thread

Easily the least talented team he’s ever coached and certainly the least talented we’ve had since the 8-20 debacle.

Kris Lang and Capel are a better duo than Brooks and seventh..

those guys could score..

its not over I get it, we are going to add talent, but what is left is not going .500

Cole is worth 8-10 games and it goes up with each add

Has Blackshear mentioned any favorites or even schools he is considering? I'm wondering if this is all just positive thinking or if there is any merit to it. Given our holes at the 1 through 3, adding another big would be good but not essential.

Kris Lang and Capel are a better duo than Brooks and seventh..

those guys could score..

its not over I get it, we are going to add talent, but what is left is not going .500

Cole is worth 8-10 games and it goes up with each add

agreed. Once the rankings were posted, I looked back at the roster, and that 8-20 roster has more talent. I think our guys generally like each other so I'd give this bunch the chemistry nod, but regardless, there are some terrible teams with good chemistry and that's what we would be with what we have returning. Way too many holes.

Oh how times have changed. The 8-20 team had the following nationally ranked players

#10, 11, 22, 24, 25, 33, 37, 54 Plus...ORLANDO FREAKING MELENDEZ

Roy's NIT season had the following Nationally Ranked players

# 5, 9, 18, 24, 29, 37, 38, 43, 44, 44, 79

What does this one have as we stand?

It might behoove folks to remember that putting your name in the draft is not permanent until the cut-off date passes or an agent is hired. Many players (including members of our 09 championship team) tested the waters and came back.
You can hire an agent and still come back now.

Reactions: trestyles
I said at the time that our 8-20 season might be just what the doctor ordered for our spoiled, entitled fans. Reading some of these posts, I think perhaps we’re overdue for another slice of humble pie.

I said at the time that our 8-20 season might be just what the doctor ordered for our spoiled, entitled fans. Reading some of these posts, I think perhaps we’re overdue for another slice of humble pie.
I agree that 8-20 reset some fans expectations (me included). But I never -NEVER - want to go thru that again. :eek:

As to the Grad Transfer mkt, I never knew the number of kids out there until I looked, tons of talent out there...we just need kids that will play smart, play hard and play together.

Reactions: Archer2
Sorry but that is just incorrect on several counts. Berry ran the show as well or better than anyone who has played here. Fact is, Roy specifically told him to create shots for himself that last season because his surrounding cast his Senior year wasn't optimum in finishing. That supporting cast had improved markedly by this past season (especially Cam). And JB did not avoid contact, he just didn't get the calls, and saying he passed up guys with better shots is just flat inaccurate --- Kenny got way more touches that season than this past one, for example. But ultimately it was about the other options. Hell, it got to the point in 2018 that feeding the post was just a wasted pass, which is something no UNC PG has ever had to deal with.

I can tell you that everything I mentioned were internal topics of conversation within the team and staff the following summer, and because of that everyone in the off-season dedicated themselves to rectifying those individual deficiencies (and of course Cam's surgery was the magic pill for him).

Since Roy has been back:

Lawson
Felton
Marshall
White*
Paige
Berry

*White would be number one if he stayed for 2+ years.

If so that's a bummer. Joel took 100 more 3pt attempts than anyone else while shooting a much lower %. WAY lower than Kenny or Luke. He also did not finish well around the rim. One of my favorite Tarheels, but just being realistic. He tried to create too much his senior year and was not a good distributor. We may not have had a typical inside presence, but he absolutely had weapons around him.

Tar Heels.

Garrison's ORB% was best on the team, and his TRB% was tied with Nas for second on the team. And that's competing for rebounds with Luke who was a historically good rebounder.

He also had the highest FG% of any regular rotation player.

If he gets more minutes and touches, wouldn't be surprising to see his numbers jump big time.

He got less time and way fewer touches than other starters as we were loaded offensively.

Brook's rebounding rate is on par with Hicks or McAdoo, so historically meh?

Regardless of how Gary feels about Berry, let’s not resort to knocking the young man. Here’s the reality. Do I think Berry is the most skilled Or talented that we’ve had at the position? NO. But is he one of the most decorated PG’s (personal and teams accolades during his time) that we’ve had in the history of the program? Absolutely YES. Again this isn’t saying anybody is better than the other, but give me a kid who is “less than” that leads us to a national title, and a buzzer beater from winning back to back and I’ll take that all day over a kids that’s more talented.

Thanks GoN, good post.

We are not recruiting any of those former Tar Heel Guards mentioned above as they have no collegiate eligibility remaining.
As to THIS recruiting thread, we have two huge visits in the next few weeks and a couple of kids to boot that are interested in being a Tar Heel.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Those are %s. Point being he was #1 ORB and #2 TRB on arguably Roy's best rebounding team..certainly one of the best.

Yes %'s. EXACTLY what your OP mentions. Hicks was #4 on one of Roy's best rebounding teams. He had the same % as Brooks playing with much better rebounders. Point being - he's not a rebounding machine.

I hope he improves and even surpasses my expectations but right now a ceiling of Hicks (~12 and 7) is what I see.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Yes %'s. EXACTLY what your OP mentions. Hicks was #4 on one of Roy's best rebounding teams. He had the same % as Brooks playing with much better rebounders. Point being - he's not a rebounding machine.

I hope he improves and even surpasses my expectations but right now a ceiling of Hicks (~12 and 7) is what I see.

I agree here. EVERY damn off season over the last 3-4 years in particular, we have the same group of fans that magically expect a big jump from damn near all of our returners and it's simply not likely. A select few will improve and progress year over year, but largely with the roster we have returning at this time, there's a handful of kids that simply are what they are, and are likely to always be what they are now.

As a refresher, many of you were high on how good Brandon Huffman was going to be coming into this year because of this mythical notion that because he was big and strong that he magically developed a soft touch around the rim, good shooting touch from mid range, and great footwork defensively. As another side, many of you who have now fell off his bandwagon, kept telling us how good Seventh Woods would be this year now that he wasn't behind the mythical shadow of Joel Berry (the same Joel Berry who some of you shamefully talk shit about). Turns out, Seventh was yet again exactly what he's always been. A great athlete, but a marginal basketball player at best at this level due to his decision making, inability to hold on to the damn ball, and the worst shot we've had in quite some time from a guard (save me the injury excuses; lower body injuries don't turn the ball over at the rate he does or cause his shot to be as painful as it is) I fully trust that Roy will develop whatever talent we have to the best of his ability, but even more importantly to the best of THEIR ability. Don't lose sight of that. THEIR ability matters. Roy could coach me up as hard as anybody, but I can tell you that I'm not going to become Ty Lawson over 4 years, or 40 or 50. You get the picture. I hope....

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Brook's rebounding rate is on par with Hicks or McAdoo, so historically meh?
He's saying that Brooks had those numbers while also battling for rebounds against Maye (who was the historically good rebounder). So if Brooks gets more PT this year with Maye gone, his rebounds should jump.

Reactions: unchampions

Agreed we don't know how much he'll improve. My point is there are only so many rebounds and we had a lot of good rebounders including a historically good one. Garrison in the top 2 is very promising.

He's saying that Brooks had those numbers while also battling for rebounds against Maye (who was the historically good rebounder). So if Brooks gets more PT this year with Maye gone, his rebounds should jump.

It's amazing how folks will use per 40 adjustments or rationale that offensive and rebounds will improve but don't use that same logic, defensively. If Brooks plays more minutes, is it likely that he'll grab a few more boards, I think so. But it's also fair to say that if Brooks plays more minutes, he will get in foul trouble more given his struggles at times against good to great to elite bigs this year. He struggled mightily against some that we played. Just a thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT