ADVERTISEMENT

The tale of the tape—-State and UNC matchups

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
The biggest matchup should be Terquavron Smith vs Leaky Black…T.Smith is leading the ACC in scoring at 19.1 points a game and has scored over 20 in 4 straight games Some of you might remember the last time he was at the Dean Dome he torched the Tar Heels for 30 points so controlling him is a must. Since he is 6’4 I do not believe neither Davis or Love could be able to body him or slow him down so Black with his long arms is the obvious choice. I also like the idea of Dunn guarding him when Leaky needs a break.

Casey Morsell who stands at 6’3 and averages 12.9 a contest shoots over 40 percent from three point land so I would expect Love to get the assignment of stopping him.

Jarkel Jorner is the second leading scorer for the Wolfpack at 16.2 and at 6’1 he should be playing all night against Davis and Trimble.

Greg Gantt is not much of a scorer at 2.1 but he does stand at 6’8 and either Nance, Johnson or Washington will get the job of keeping him in check.

Finally at center State has D J Burns who will be battling Bacot in the paint is averaging 9’9 and despite his size of 6’9 and 275 big ones he has some soft hands and some game…

To me the key matchup will be Black on Smith who loves to go hard to the hole slithering thru defenders and either putting up a shot during a drive or finding Morsell or Jorner for three point attempts…If Black and Dunn can hold Smith who has been talking smack all week under 20 points then the home team should prevail and celebrate Bacot getting the record setting double double title that the Kangaroo Kid Billy Cunningham has held for almost 60 years…

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
The backcourt battle will be huge in my opinion. All 3 of State's high powered guard attack play huge minutes, all about 35 minutes a game. As we know RJ & Caleb get the same type of run. Smith and Joiner will be aggressive and get shots up, they will take tough looks and are capable of knocking them down, but hopefully we can keep them inefficient in getting their points.

Burns is skilled for an overweight big, but stamina is not his strong suit, make him work every possession he is in, that could pay big dividends as the game wears on.

Caleb as a non draft projected prospect at the moment gets to play against a 1st round projected similar type guard. Love has stepped up big in the past in these type matchups, hopefully his slump buster from outside comes with this matchup.

The gamecast stats on ESPN are eerily similar. State prefers a fast pace with lots of pressure on D. If the Heels can get the transition game I like the chances. If UNC has 15+ turnovers, especially live ball ones it will be ugly.

Looks like State lost their top 2 front court players. 6'10 Dusan Mahorcic after 10 games, 6'8 Jack Clark after 15 games. That's enough time to have adjusted, but those guys started and Clark was playing over 30mpg.

Seems like we should have a clear front court advantage. But we'll see.

Burns seems in the Beejay Anya mold. Pretty good player hampered by carrying extra weight. His last 2 games he played 34 ad 35 minutes and didn't get into foul trouble. So even though he isn't their preferred starter and looks like he shouldn't be able to handle the minutes, apparently he isn't chopped liver.

Caleb as a non draft projected prospect at the moment gets to play against a 1st round projected similar type guard. Love has stepped up big in the past in these type matchups, hopefully his slump buster from outside comes with this matchup.
I would love to see a head-to-head battle between Love and Smith, but @IDUNK4HEELS makes a pretty good case for Leaky to focus on Smith. That should be interesting, too.

Maybe we'll see both. And maybe Love will feel motivated to prove himself.

Either way, fun matchups.

I would love to see a head-to-head battle between Love and Smith, but @IDUNK4HEELS makes a pretty good case for Leaky to focus on Smith. That should be interesting, too.

Maybe we'll see both. And maybe Love will feel motivated to prove himself.

Either way, fun matchups.
I agree they won't match up on every possession, but they are aware of each other. And the competitor in each might lead to some fireworks.

For this juncture of the season, this is an important matchup for both. Solid quad 1 for each, plus the rivalry, looking forward to this one for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT