ADVERTISEMENT

The truth is a tough pill to swallow

King Coach

Sophomore
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2021
A lot of posts about Roy, recruiting and our style of play. Some harsh and some not so much. There is a lot of truth in all these recent posts. And it’s tough to swallow for a proud program like ours.

But before we worry too much remember the Carolina family is deep. I have to believe that the family is talking to Coach and giving him some honest advice about the path forward. And I hope he takes their advice to heart.

We will always be bigger than one Coach or any one player. No matter how great any Coach or player is....there’s always room for improvement and change. After all, that is what DES and Roy have taught their players over all these years....time for the teacher to listen now.

A lot of posts about Roy, recruiting and our style of play. Some harsh and some not so much. There is a lot of truth in all these recent posts. And it’s tough to swallow for a proud program like ours.

But before we worry too much remember the Carolina family is deep. I have to believe that the family is talking to Coach and giving him some honest advice about the path forward. And I hope he takes their advice to heart.

We will always be bigger than one Coach or any one player. No matter how great any Coach or player is....there’s always room for improvement and change. After all, that is what DES and Roy have taught their players over all these years....time for the teacher to listen now.
good idea. I'm sure he'll be all ears. I mean, look how he welcomed our advice about taking timeouts.

I'm not sure if he's getting that feedback or not. That would need to come from assistant coaches and the coaches he has around him are his own people. Are his former players and long time assistants the type of people who will get in his ear or will they just tell him what they think he wants to hear? Even if they do tell him, would he even listen to them?

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I'm not sure if he's getting that feedback or not. That would need to come from assistant coaches and the coaches he has around him are his own people. Are his former players and long time assistants the type of people who will get in his ear or will they just tell him what they think he wants to hear? Even if they do tell him, would he even listen to them?
Most would tell him to not worry and keep doing what he's doing out of fear of being disrespectful or disloyal. If Dean were alive I believe Dean would tell him like it is but with love.

I think the tweet by Dennis Marshall
( Kendall Father) is telling. Not saying Kendall is expressing his views through his fathers twitter account, but they are close and you can surmise.

I think the tweet by Dennis Marshall
( Kendall Father) is telling. Not saying Kendall is expressing his views through his fathers twitter account, but they are close and you can surmise.
That's possible. His father needs to stay off twitter though. He doesn't come off looking good in this situation and he's just causing problems for his son. If Kendall feels that way, then he should tell Roy though.

That's possible. His father needs to stay off twitter though. He doesn't come off looking good in this situation and he's just causing problems for his son. If Kendall feels that way, then he should tell Roy though.
I completely agree with you, telling nonetheless, no?

What did he say????
He's said a lot of stuff over the years. He used to post on premium and I've heard some of the stuff he posted over there wasn't the best look for him. Someone with premium would have to confirm. Here's his most recent tweet, which isn't wrong, but it's not something he should tweet with his son on staff.

Reactions: tarwhiz
Who's truth? How many on here are close enough to Roy Williams to know if he needs to step down or not? The 2018 and 2019 teams played 1 "big" and a stretch 4. Why? because the coach adjusted to the personnel that he had. The 2020 and 2021 teams had bigs, but no player capable of playing a stretch 4. So the coach went back to the 2 bigs system. He had recruited stretch 4s in Pierce and Kessler. Pierce was physically limited and Kessler was obviously not ready to play that position at this level. So what would any coach do...play with what ya got! Kessler had 2 good games and was not very good the rest of the time. With the team scrambling to just get into the NCAA tournament there was no time for kissing Kessler's ass! And before anybody says that "Roy recruited them", yeah he did. He also recruited a ton of talent that chose for whatever reason to go elsewhere. He played the cards he was dealt and he played them the only way he could.

He's said a lot of stuff over the years. He used to post on premium and I've heard some of the stuff he posted over there wasn't the best look for him. Someone with premium would have to confirm. Here's his most recent tweet, which isn't wrong, but it's not something he should tweet with his son on staff.

Can’t disagree with him....but yeah his son is on staff.

The truth you refer to may be what you consider to be truth but that does not mean it is fact.

There were folks here spouting their version of the truth when duke and Ky were dominating recruiting classes every season, we need to get talent like that! Well how did those 2 teams do this season, with their 1&D systems? This team struggled all season when we faced very experienced back courts. I see everyone screaming about how poorly we defend 3pt shooters, we were bathed in drive and kick all season. Now all the sudden Roy is the problem, Roy's defense is the problem, Roy not having enough shooters is the problem, with little mention of the fact that we had freshman back court and our key reserve front court guys as freshmen as well executing Roy's system, a system that historically freshmen struggle to learn.

Folks fussed about Brooks but the truth is on a team with so little game experience, a team that had ONLY 4 non-freshman in it's rotation; Brooks was by far our most experienced player, he may not have had the ACC POY season some seemed to expect ( I never saw him as that) he didn't have a bad season, he was in a way watered down by all the rest of the talent we had in that front court, talent but very raw, as well as freshman guards not really savvy in getting the ball to our front curt guys in good position to finish.

Know what I find really funny, ask folks here how much they love and embrace the NBA game and the majority will tell you they are not really NBA fans, for fact I am not a NBA fan because I hate the way the NBA plays now days. And yet so many today clamor for the college game to be played just like the NBA, shoot treys all day, shoot them early or late in the shot clock but don't waste time on a 2 pt basket? The NBA has done al it could do to destroy the college game and now fans seem to want to take it the rest of the way to total destruction and I take issue with that.

Who's truth? How many on here are close enough to Roy Williams to know if he needs to step down or not? The 2018 and 2019 teams played 1 "big" and a stretch 4. Why? because the coach adjusted to the personnel that he had. The 2020 and 2021 teams had bigs, but no player capable of playing a stretch 4. So the coach went back to the 2 bigs system. He had recruited stretch 4s in Pierce and Kessler. Pierce was physically limited and Kessler was obviously not ready to play that position at this level. So what would any coach do...play with what ya got! Kessler had 2 good games and was not very good the rest of the time. With the team scrambling to just get into the NCAA tournament there was no time for kissing Kessler's ass! And before anybody says that "Roy recruited them", yeah he did. He also recruited a ton of talent that chose for whatever reason to go elsewhere. He played the cards he was dealt and he played them the only way he could.
I for one will probably cry like a baby when Roy hangs it up. And he deserves to coach as long as he wants to...and I think he will...But he or nobody else is perfect. So I’m hoping he will make the changes he need to make to adjust to today’s college game....be it strategy, recruiting or whatever.....He deserves to go out on top....might as well make the adjustments for his final push.

I for one will probably cry like a baby when Roy hangs it up. And he deserves to coach as long as he wants to...and I think he will...But he or nobody else is perfect. So I’m hoping he will make the changes he need to make to adjust to today’s college game....be it strategy, recruiting or whatever.....He deserves to go out on top....might as well make the adjustments for his final push.
and I'm saying that he's been adjusting all along. This season was more about inexperience than a lack of coaching. He's recruited players that would fill a stretch 4, a shooting guard, point guards, but some were 1 and done, some got into trouble and were booted, some chose other schools to play at.

So, in your opinion, what exactly does Roy need to change about his coaching style?

These three words Roy should adhere to, Adapt-Compete-Suceed.

He has not adapted to the way the game is played today. Insisting on playing two bigs is antiquated style. It creates defensive problems having to go out and guard on the perimeter. Offensively, playing two bigs clogs up the lane which prohibits your own players from getting to the hole at times. The other issue I would tell Roy is to play your best players. Rewarding players because they are upperclassmen and loyal minutes over better players does not work anymore.

Roy has to change or he is going to go out on bad note with this program. The last 3/4 years were not Carolina basketball. Adapt and fix the issues or stubbornly hold onto to your ways and fail.

One more time, the only change I see Roy needs is for his players to stay around more than 1 season, to gain the experience they need to execute what Roy has always taught.

Guys, look at the numbers please! This season, we relied on 4 upper classmen and 5 freshmen (including Ant who actually is a freshman). Of those 4 upper classmen, 1 was always a guy that typically we would have had as a deep reserve (Platek) and a weak shooting wing (Leaky, who in any given game could be a defensive shut down guy or could be a sieve), along with Brooks and Bacot.

Now being honest, I will be the first to admit, Leaky had a very disappointing season, and Brooks did not match his Jr season. But who do you play rather than Leaky, you either go small with 3 freshmen in the back court or extra big with another freshman, considering Puff was not able to contribute (covid and ankle injury). As much a problem as Leaky was on the offensive end, did you really want the defensive play of Walton at the wing and those 2 shut down defender guards (Love and RJ) as our back court? We may have scored more but we would have had to score 100 every game to win? Yeah, I did feel Kessler brought us more than Brooks but Brooks represented experience, as did Leaky & Platek and that is why they had to play. Roy's had was forced knowing he needed as much experience out there as he could get but knowing his real talent was freshmen, it was a catch 22 not helped at all by covid.

What ever the mix of players we will end up having come back next season, we will be a much more experienced team, the covid stuff should ease up this off season allowing for more of a normal off season of prep for our returners, fertile ground for those soph bumps you see from Roy's players. Have patience, no need to freak out, let the dust settle and lets see what we have, this worst case speculation and all the knee jerk reactions is just not needed.

Reactions: heelfan1961
One modification Roy has failed to make is the defensive strategy related to the 3-point shot. He still coaches that as Dean did in the 80's with the mindset that the 3-point shot isn't a high % shot. The game has changed a lot since the 80's (3-pointer first being introduced), when the game was inside first. Now teams (and players) shoot the ball so much better from 3 as the kids grew up with that shot. Teams that give us problems are ones that shoot the 3 well....that's been the case for a long time. I would love to see an adjustment in defensive philosophy.

For offense, I don't think the quickest shot is always the best shot. We lead the country in rebounding a lot because we miss a lot of shots early in the possession. I would prefer we run, look for the secondary break and take good shots. Some of the quick shots we take are virtually turnovers.

Last edited:
For me it’s more about recruiting....forget the star rating and recruit talent based on what your eyes see.

Why do you think that Roy doesn't do that? You think Roy looks at the 247 list of recruits and just picks the numbers he wants to offer?

The bottom line is that if any of us here have thought about something to improve the team, then Roy and his staff have thought of it too. No one is ahead of Roy in considering what the program needs.

Ultimately its on roy. Good and bad. I want him to turn it around as bad as anyone. But also, as dean, i want him to see the writing on the wall when it happens. Until then, its a disgusting product to try and watch

One more time, the only change I see Roy needs is for his players to stay around more than 1 season, to gain the experience they need to execute what Roy has always taught.

Guys, look at the numbers please! This season, we relied on 4 upper classmen and 5 freshmen (including Ant who actually is a freshman). Of those 4 upper classmen, 1 was always a guy that typically we would have had as a deep reserve (Platek) and a weak shooting wing (Leaky, who in any given game could be a defensive shut down guy or could be a sieve), along with Brooks and Bacot.

Now being honest, I will be the first to admit, Leaky had a very disappointing season, and Brooks did not match his Jr season. But who do you play rather than Leaky, you either go small with 3 freshmen in the back court or extra big with another freshman, considering Puff was not able to contribute (covid and ankle injury). As much a problem as Leaky was on the offensive end, did you really want the defensive play of Walton at the wing and those 2 shut down defender guards (Love and RJ) as our back court? We may have scored more but we would have had to score 100 every game to win? Yeah, I did feel Kessler brought us more than Brooks but Brooks represented experience, as did Leaky & Platek and that is why they had to play. Roy's had was forced knowing he needed as much experience out there as he could get but knowing his real talent was freshmen, it was a catch 22 not helped at all by covid.

What ever the mix of players we will end up having come back next season, we will be a much more experienced team, the covid stuff should ease up this off season allowing for more of a normal off season of prep for our returners, fertile ground for those soph bumps you see from Roy's players. Have patience, no need to freak out, let the dust settle and lets see what we have, this worst case speculation and all the knee jerk reactions is just not needed.

You can put your head in the sand like Roy has done and think nothing is wrong and the system is fine. You can use the experience line to justify it's ability to function, but I disagree. The game is not played today the way Roy's system teaches it and the players coming into the program have not played that way in AAU or high school ball. Playing two bigs at one time does not work as it has it the past. Two bigs casues problems on the defensive end as one big will have problems guarding the perimeter. The game today is a drive and dish game. That said, playing two bigs only clogs up the lane on drives to the rim. Kessler issue was about playing time and the system. Roy giving more minutes to the less talented player. Should Brooks have gotten all those minutes this year instead of the three better bigs (Bacot, Sharpe and Keesler)? Roy's loyal to a fault and today's kids will not sit behind lesser players just because they are upperclassmen. You can say the same issues for guys like Black and Platek.

Older coaches like Roy can adapt and succeed, if they choose. Look at Nick Saban as an example at Alabama. He was not running the RPO when Auburn and others were running it and succeeding. Saban realized even though he had the best players he had to adapt and change choosing to run the RPO. Look what happened since the change. They continued to win and win more championships at an elite level.

Roy can plant a stake in the ground and not change. If so, he will not go out in any blaze of glory but rather as a washed up coach who could not adapt to today's game.

You can put your head in the sand like Roy has done and think nothing is wrong and the system is fine. You can use the experience line to justify it's ability to function, but I disagree. The game is not played today the way Roy's system teaches it and the players coming into the program have not played that way in AAU or high school ball. Playing two bigs at one time does not work as it has it the past. Two bigs casues problems on the defensive end as one big will have problems guarding the perimeter. The game today is a drive and dish game. That said, playing two bigs only clogs up the lane on drives to the rim. Kessler issue was about playing time and the system. Roy giving more minutes to the less talented player. Should Brooks have gotten all those minutes this year instead of the three better bigs (Bacot, Sharpe and Keesler)? Roy's loyal to a fault and today's kids will not sit behind lesser players just because they are upperclassmen. You can say the same issues for guys like Black and Platek.

Older coaches like Roy can adapt and succeed, if they choose. Look at Nick Saban as an example at Alabama. He was not running the RPO when Auburn and others were running it and succeeding. Saban realized even though he had the best players he had to adapt and change choosing to run the RPO. Look what happened since the change. They continued to win and win more championships at an elite level.

Roy can plant a stake in the ground and not change. If so, he will not go out in any blaze of glory but rather as a washed up coach who could not adapt to today's game.
My guess is that Roy's loyalty to Leaky is why he hasn't been able to land a stud wing in last year or this year's class. And we all know, he will trot Leaky out there for 30+ mpg next season again.

Reactions: TarHeelFanWV

Yeah, that system just hasn't been getting results. Now, my eyes roll in sarcastic condescension.

I'm not a basketball mind. I'm not qualified to make any real criticisms. I'm certainly not a HOF coach at one of the most prestigious blue-blood college basketball programs in history. But, the average message-board-yahoos always know better than the people who have proven they are college basketball geniuses.

Leaky absolutely SUCKS. bottom line. Look at all phases of the game on the wing and tell me any 1 thing that he does consistently. His inability to make his own way based on his abilities (length, athleticism, etc) show you he isn't a player that will develop into something. I've said it a million times but it's beyond true for those that actually saw this kid play in high school. He is literally the same talent level and skill set he was as a high school sophomore and hasn't improved one bit.

i'm not sure i blame roy for that. defense is mostly effort, and this season our players looked like they didn't give a hoot. how do you make people care?
Roy Williams is not coaching his players to leave 3-point shooters wide open.

...Older coaches like Roy can adapt and succeed, if they choose. Look at Nick Saban as an example at Alabama. He was not running the RPO when Auburn and others were running it and succeeding. Saban realized even though he had the best players he had to adapt and change choosing to run the RPO. Look what happened...
good example

The truth you refer to may be what you consider to be truth but that does not mean it is fact.

There were folks here spouting their version of the truth when duke and Ky were dominating recruiting classes every season, we need to get talent like that! Well how did those 2 teams do this season, with their 1&D systems? This team struggled all season when we faced very experienced back courts. I see everyone screaming about how poorly we defend 3pt shooters, we were bathed in drive and kick all season. Now all the sudden Roy is the problem, Roy's defense is the problem, Roy not having enough shooters is the problem, with little mention of the fact that we had freshman back court and our key reserve front court guys as freshmen as well executing Roy's system, a system that historically freshmen struggle to learn.

Folks fussed about Brooks but the truth is on a team with so little game experience, a team that had ONLY 4 non-freshman in it's rotation; Brooks was by far our most experienced player, he may not have had the ACC POY season some seemed to expect ( I never saw him as that) he didn't have a bad season, he was in a way watered down by all the rest of the talent we had in that front court, talent but very raw, as well as freshman guards not really savvy in getting the ball to our front curt guys in good position to finish.

Know what I find really funny, ask folks here how much they love and embrace the NBA game and the majority will tell you they are not really NBA fans, for fact I am not a NBA fan because I hate the way the NBA plays now days. And yet so many today clamor for the college game to be played just like the NBA, shoot treys all day, shoot them early or late in the shot clock but don't waste time on a 2 pt basket? The NBA has done al it could do to destroy the college game and now fans seem to want to take it the rest of the way to total destruction and I take issue with that.
First of all, I’m not asking that Coach be fired. Firing Coach will do more damage to our program than that scandal did. You just don’t fire a guy who brought you 3 Titiles and saved the program. Coach will be at UNC until he decides to retire. Now having said that....since he will be our coach, he needs to make adjustments....1. You have to recruit shooters 1star 2 star 3 star don’t matter. 2. We have to defend the 3.....can’t leave a hot shooter to double down on a post player and hope to get back to your man when the ball is kicked back out......I haven’t seen anyone in college or pro that can outrun a pass. 3. Stop al the subbing....give guys a chance to develop a rhythm. I would start there.

Reactions: rexerdog and gary-7
For me it’s more about recruiting....forget the star rating and recruit talent based on what your eyes see.
The eye test is what usually wins you a lot of games. It’s a lot of guys who are 5 stars that get out played by lower ranked kids on the regular.

Reactions: rexerdog
I was gonna stay outta this --- as there are some internal dynamics at play that I just can't put on the board at this point --- but you're making some very valid points ITT.

Unfortunately, some are reading their own narratives into it and/or over-reacting to your overall point. First, I'll just offer that Butter's dad is off base about the Wisky game --- in fact, we should've matched up with them quite well defensively. And the issue is not our "style of play" per se, it's about Roy being stubborn and not utilizing the myriad tools in our X-and-O arsenal (and for anyone reading this, we have more of those than anybody) to be more multiple defensively... that, combined with his old achilles heel --- personnel usage.

You also mentioned recruiting above, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the point you're making is that it's less about rankings and more about overall fit and character -- players with the necessary D1 talent but also not about themselves and their immediate futures. We know Roy has a tough road these days. AAU is a cesspool of adults with agendas and elite prospects too often have their heads inflated and/or their "hands out". He nonetheless hit the jackpot with the Berry/Pinson/Jackson class, which is why I predicted a Natty as soon as they signed --- but it wasn't about rankings or "stars", it was about Carolina players, which they embodied.

Our system will never be about OADs, and for that I'm thankful. It's about building TEAMS of complementary players --- some future NBAers, some not --- who are willing to play Carolina basketball.

Guys we all have our opinions and that’s what these boards are for. I think one thing we should all agree on is that we are very poor 3 point defenders. Fans been saying it for a while and also commentators too. You just can’t leave a hot shooter to double down on a post player unless said player is Tim Duncan...and we do that no matter the experience of the player.

Here’s an idea....double down when we are facing a poor shooting 3 point team like us and don’t double down when we are facing a good 3 point shooting team or a team that’s hot from 3 because they see a UNC jersey.

Or, if one player is going all Stephen Curry on us....shallow him the entire game.

Roy Williams is not coaching his players to leave 3-point shooters wide open.
I want to agree with you, but then why do our perimeter defenders all seem to always do that stupid, "drifting into no man's land, half-help, can't recover in time out to the 3 point line" stuff?

Every perimeter player, every year for years. Its not like they just bring that in from high school, and that Roy says, "don't leave your guy, no matter what!" and they all just ignore / defy him. So I think he does teach it in a way. Or someone else on the staff teaches it. But that can't be possible. Roy has the only vote that matters on how they play defense. And the garbage "over help and leave a wide open 3 point shooter" - when you have bigs that should be able to defend at the rim, is frustrating.

I think that in theory, in practice maybe, the UNC players that help off their guy at the three line, recover in time back to their guy at the three line, to make it look like we have the talent to make the help defense work against the drive and kick. And that our UNC guys miss enough wide open 3s in practice to make this "help off your guy on 3 point line, then try to recover" defense seem viable.

It just isn't, though. I can't recall any team I see at D1 level leave as many players blatantly wide open for a kickout 3 point shot, as UNC does. That just has to change. Hopefully with Roy, but for sure with the next coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT