ADVERTISEMENT

The UNC Transfer Team

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
These are the transfers I can remember. Feel free to add to the list. Other than not having a top level starting point guard, you could build a very nice team from UNC's transfers.

Who would you start?

Bob McAdoo
Brady Manek
Harrison Ingram
Cam Johnson
Cormac Ryan
Justin Knox
Pete Nance
Jae'Lyn Withers
Dawson Garcia
Christian Keeling
Justin Pierce
Paxson Wojcik
Justin McKoy
James Okonkwo
KJ Smith
Luke Davis
Wes Miller

I agree with DSouthr about prioritizing the first five. Dean Smith, as far as I recall, had two notable transfers: Bob McAdoo and Makhtar N’Diaye. It’s ironic that Dean coached both the best and the worst transfers in UNC history. Any true Tar Heel fan knows which is which. I often wonder what Dean would think of NIL and the transfer portal.

I agree with DSouthr about prioritizing the first five. Dean Smith, as far as I recall, had two notable transfers: Bob McAdoo and Makhtar N’Diaye. It’s ironic that Dean coached both the best and the worst transfers in UNC history. Any true Tar Heel fan knows which is which. I often wonder what Dean would think of NIL and the transfer portal.
He'd think, "I'm glad I've retired to heaven!"

McAdoo was a JC kid though, right? Vincennes, he wasn't a transfer, he just finished junior college and became eligible for a 4 year school then chose UNC as a junior.

Last edited:
McAdoo was maybe the 1st one and done. He is quoted as saying after declaring hardship that a lot of people were angry at him leaving, but Dean Smith told him if they are offering you that kind of money you need to take it and go. Dean understood.

His mom was against it, his dad and Dean were for it. Wise men.

Last edited:
McAdoo was maybe the 1st one and done. He is quoted as saying after declaring hardship that a lot of people were angry at him leaving, but Dean Smith told him if they are offering you that kind of money you need to take it and go. Dean understood.

His mom was against it, his dad and Dean were for it. Wise men.
Dean once stated that the only two players he immediately recognized as destined for the NBA were Bob McAdoo and Rasheed Wallace.

So if or when this question is asked a year from now, do either of Tyson or Ven Lubin make the top 5? I don't expect him to but Tyson could in my opinion, he is in a great position to have a very good season. I do think I trust his jump shooting more than I did Ingram's. I would like to see the % that Ingram shot first half of the season as opposed to second half, what he shot % from non-conference games to conference games. Ingram shot much better in the early portion of last season, his numbers came down later season but of course defenses tended to respect his shooting more later season than they did early in. I suspect Tyson will shoot more evenly early to late primarily due to his shot is a quicker trigger than Ingrams was. IN addition Tyson has a high release jumper where Ingram's jumper was a bit of a modified set shot, low release so easier to hinder than the high release Tyson uses. PLEASE do NOT take that as my saying I think Tyson is a better over all player than Ingram, way more to the game than just jump shooting and Ingram was really good at multiple aspects of the game.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I certainly hope they both make the list for obvious reasons, but for us to ba a successful team they do not need to rise that high! They both will have ample opportunity to become pivotal cogs in a well-oiled machine, but we have enough talent on the roster that only RJ & EC MUST approach greatness!

I would like to see the % that Ingram shot first half of the season as opposed to second half, what he shot % from non-conference games to conference games.
Pomeroy has some but not all of that for 3-pt shooting.

Season = 38.5%
In Conference = 31.5%

But here's the interesting number (where Pomeroy's Tier A is more -or-less the equivalent of Quad 1)

vs Tier A teams = 45.1%

In case you're wondering, we played 17 Tier 1 games, so that's not based on just a few games.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Pomeroy has some but not all of that for 3-pt shooting.

Season = 38.5%
In Conference = 31.5%

But here's the interesting number (where Pomeroy's Tier A is more -or-less the equivalent of Quad 1)

vs Tier A teams = 45.1%

In case you're wondering, we played 17 Tier 1 games, so that's not based on just a few games.
31.5% for the conference slate, that is actually underwhelming saying it nicely. I do think Tyson wil shoot much better than that in conference play to finish out my point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT