ADVERTISEMENT

The ACC This Season

I would agree, and would clarify to your point, that I am talking about NBA Playoffs, series style matchup systems.

I have no idea if it is on purpose to look like how the NBA “feels”. It didn’t work.

I also think there is a factor in subbing guards that goes back to his shooter’s mindset. It SEEMS like He wants them to get in rhythm and so either “rides the hot hand” or “they just need to get more shots up”. This also leads to less subs… and awful percentages
I have seen what you are referring to. And the NBA does it also. There are many times your secondary subs don’t ever play or get minimal minutes due to matchups in the league. Best players play, as they should, but secondary guys can be needed for different rolls. I don’t mind it so much at times but I’m also the type that plays players regardless of the other team. I want them to adjust to me!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I would agree, and would clarify to your point, that I am talking about NBA Playoffs, series style matchup systems.

I have no idea if it is on purpose to look like how the NBA “feels”. It didn’t work.

I also think there is a factor in subbing guards that goes back to his shooter’s mindset. It SEEMS like He wants them to get in rhythm and so either “rides the hot hand” or “they just need to get more shots up”. This also leads to less subs… and awful percentages
The NBA playoffs are completely different. The games obviously matter more so your star players are going to play heavy minutes as long as they stay out of foul trouble. Also, circumstances dictate a lot of it. If you're a home team down 0-1, in game 2 you'll see star players are playing the entire 4th quarter (assuming they're not too old to do so) if it's a close game since it's a must win. The back-to-backs are gone in the playoffs too so you get more rest in between games, especially later in the playoffs.

Also, substitution patterns frequently depend on what the opponents do. If there's a specific matchup defensively you like (for example, let's say you need Draymond Green guarding Kevin Durant), then Draymond's minutes may mirror Kevin Durant's.

If you want Hubert to play his bench more, you want him to develop more of an NBA regular season rotation than what he's shown.

If Seth backs up Cadeau, that cuts Cormac's minutes. Or maybe Withers's minutes.

I'm assuming RJ will play 30 minutes. If he plays all of that at SG, then that only leaves 10 minutes for Cormac (or Paxson) at SG. If RJ backs up at point, that leaves 20 minutes at SG for Cormac (or Paxson).

If Ingram starts and plays most of his minutes at PF - which you do not want and where he is undersized - that lets Cormac get his minutes at SF - where he us also undersized. And that means Withers gets fewer minutes.

So . . . basically, if Seth is our backup point, he takes those minutes from either Cormac or Withers.

What it boils down to is whether you'd rather have Seth on the floor, or Cormac, or Withers. As much as I like Seth - I was the first person on this board to push for him, after all - his shooting would have to improve a whole lot for me to want him on the floor ahead of Cormac or Withers.
What it comes down to is do I prefer Seth or RJ at the point, I prefer Seth, I prefer a real pass first PG over a shoot first combo to play the PG position. That should shock NO ONE, have lost count how many times I have said that. I DO NOT like RJ at the point and have not liked it for the last 3yrs now. RJ as simple as I can put it is a 2 guard in a PGs body and yes, that is absolutely my opinion. I strongly believe that if you have a guy on your team that can consistently take the opposing teams PG and throw his game completely off that you have a rare weapon that has to be used. You take the other teams PG out it is like taking out the opposing teams QB in football such that they can do nothing but run the ball.

If Seth can get his jump shooting honed in I believe he is a NBA level PG, he was projected (on some sites) second round in the last draft before last season began.

I believe that part of the process for allowing Cadeau to reclass and join the team was discussing it with RJ. Part of that discussion most likely involved him getting some run at point (this is my opinion). I think if this is true, it is better for team camaraderie for RJ to run some point. I love Seth and I pray he finds his mojo because he bring intensity, skill, and energy on both ends. I believe we can find enough minutes for all 3 to get some run, but RJ will be primary backup at 1.

What it comes down to is do I prefer Seth or RJ at the point, I prefer Seth, I prefer a real pass first PG over a shoot first combo to play the PG position. That should shock NO ONE, have lost count how many times I have said that. I DO NOT like RJ at the point and have not liked it for the last 3yrs now. RJ as simple as I can put it is a 2 guard in a PGs body and yes, that is absolutely my opinion. I strongly believe that if you have a guy on your team that can consistently take the opposing teams PG and throw his game completely off that you have a rare weapon that has to be used. You take the other teams PG out it is like taking out the opposing teams QB in football such that they can do nothing but run the ball.

If Seth can get his jump shooting honed in I believe he is a NBA level PG, he was projected (on some sites) second round in the last draft before last season began.
Not sure about the last paragraph but I agree with the rest.
Who fills in at SG?
Cormac could slide from the three if he’s starting, or Paxson could spell him.

One more argument for the minority starting lineup of

Cadeau​
RJ​
Ingram​
Withers​
Armando​

With this lineup, the first guy off the bench 80-90% of the time will be Cormac Ryan - no matter who's heading to the bench.

If Ingram goes to the bench, Cormac fills in at SF
If RJ goes to the bench, Cormac fills in at SG
If Cadeau goes to the bench, RJ slides to point and Cormac fills in at SG
If Withers goes to the bench, Ingram slides to PF and Cormac fills in at SF
If Armando goes to the bench, Withers could slide to C, Ingram to PF and Cormac to SF.

That last one is lower probability, but still a decent option.

That's a short but very stable rotation. If there's any value to having a stable rotation - and there could well be on a team with so many new faces - then this could be the right starting lineup to begin the season.

When these players are comfortable in their roles and with each other, then begin to loosen up the rotation.

PG
Cadeau 30m
RJ 5m
Seth 5m

SG
RJ 25m
Cormac 10m
Paxson 5m
It depends on what kind of shooter Seth is. If he's in the 20-25% 3PT range, he can still be PG2, but we're extremely limited in the lineups we can play with him. He probably has to play with Withers (assuming he can shoot it) to clear some driving space. If Seth can shoot it 30-33%, then he can play with more combinations. He's probably our best backup PG either way. But you lose a lot of flexibility if he's a 0 shooter.

It wouldn't surprise me if the first guys off the bench are Trimble and Withers because they'll probably have to play together. It isn't all about shooting, but damn, it would make things easier if he can knock down the open 3 on a semi-consistent basis. But I guess he can make his imprint in other areas. Maybe he's a true lockdown defender and that can keep him on the floor more.

I agree that RJ isn't a PG but I'm a little intrigued at what he can do with a Ryan and Withers if they're both good shooters for us. It will still probably be a bit clunky but he should have an easier time on the ball than last year when no one except him could make a shot.

Seth will be an interesting watch this season. I still don't know what he's actually good at offensively. I know he's a good athlete, but don't know what he can depend on offensively.

As long as Seth is willing to take open looks with confidence, our lineups are not limited with him! He has to hit a few, but more importantly, he has to look good taking them. Everyone else we intend to put on the floor can hit out to midrange and all but Bacot can hit 3s! Seth is looking closer to his old self and his confidence has grown in a leap! I am no longer worried about him. RJ is a very good backup point and will show this skill now that he is surrounded by shot makers! Hot take: Cadeau makes us better even if he doesn't hit a single 3! Golden State is the only legitimate team that has to have 3 + 3pt shooters! All other teams need 2, a big that commands attention, and a + floor general! Scoring is not going to be an issue.

It depends on what kind of shooter Seth is. If he's in the 20-25% 3PT range, he can still be PG2, but we're extremely limited in the lineups we can play with him. He probably has to play with Withers (assuming he can shoot it) to clear some driving space. If Seth can shoot it 30-33%, then he can play with more combinations. He's probably our best backup PG either way. But you lose a lot of flexibility if he's a 0 shooter.

It wouldn't surprise me if the first guys off the bench are Trimble and Withers because they'll probably have to play together. It isn't all about shooting, but damn, it would make things easier if he can knock down the open 3 on a semi-consistent basis. But I guess he can make his imprint in other areas. Maybe he's a true lockdown defender and that can keep him on the floor more.

I agree that RJ isn't a PG but I'm a little intrigued at what he can do with a Ryan and Withers if they're both good shooters for us. It will still probably be a bit clunky but he should have an easier time on the ball than last year when no one except him could make a shot.

Seth will be an interesting watch this season. I still don't know what he's actually good at offensively. I know he's a good athlete, but don't know what he can depend on offensively.
So my first question is if as you say Seth needs to play with Withers " to clear some driving space", why would you not start Withers and let Cadeau enjoy some extra driving space as well?

Next, if Seth needs to play with Withers to enjoy that extra driving space they why so concerned with what % Seth may shoot from trey, hard to take a trey when you are driving the lane.

Seth may be able to make an imprint in other ways? Well, considering he is not only our best back court defender but IMO the best defender period we have, yeah, I would suggest that is a mighty big area for his imprint to be made.

Considering that in my view Ryan should be the primary back up for both the 2 and the 3 (because I am starting Ingram at the 3 and Withers at the 4) he has to be first off the bench with my second off the bench being Jalen Washington and I think the guy I have backing up Bacot may well be Konkwo rather than Jalen. I don't really need to say it but I absolutely have Seth as Cadeau's primary back up and I don't want Cadeau having to play over 30mins, I would actually prefer 25, I don't want any player having to play over 25mins a game ON AVERAGE. BUT you skew away from averages depending on matchups. I would ask anyone, what is it about RJ that you really like, based on his 3yrs with us? Is it his PG play or has it been his shooting ability, for me a very easy question to answer, much more positively impressed with RJ shooting and scoring than his over all PG play on either end of the court. If you can agree that RJ really isn't a PG, why do you want him at the point, especially having 3yrs of look at his PG play? At best RJ is a 2 guard in a PGs body that is trying to go against his natural instincts as a scorer? I say let him be what he is, a scorer rather than facilitator, let him hunt his own scoring and not have to force something that just is not natural for him. I give him credit for giving it a strong try, he tried to distribute way more than his running mate did.

Bascially we are going to play 2 types of teams this season, teams that run 2 shooting guards and a point that is as well most likely a shooting combo that typically have more of a wing at the 4, may have length but is typically on the thin side but is a stretch 4. OR we are going to play teams with a true big man down low and a power forward that actually has some power/strength and a more classic wing that is more a strong driver slasher than you see from 2 guards. I can see starting Ryan vs small ball teams, I think you have to start Ingram against big man teams. Even if you stay with your starters, you have to skew the average minutes to balance out those match ups to be in our favor. For example, I would rather not see Ryan having to battle Mark Mitchel for 30min + when we play duke.

@DSouthr
So my first question is if as you say Seth needs to play with Withers " to clear some driving space", why would you not start Withers and let Cadeau enjoy some extra driving space as well?
Never said Withers can't start with Cadeau. I would prefer Ingram at the 4, so that's why I said maybe Withers and Seth would be the first dudes off the bench.

Next, if Seth needs to play with Withers to enjoy that extra driving space they why so concerned with what % Seth may shoot from trey, hard to take a trey when you are driving the lane.
Because if Seth can't shoot, his primary defender can still sag off into the paint. And I'm assuming Seth will play with Bacot or Okonkwo. Any screen, defenders can just go under and it clogs the paint anyways. He's gonna have to occasionally make a perimeter shot or a mid range J.

I don't really need to say it but I absolutely have Seth as Cadeau's primary back up and I don't want Cadeau having to play over 30mins, I would actually prefer 25, I don't want any player having to play over 25mins a game ON AVERAGE.
I don't know where the 30 minutes line of demarcation came from but this is Roy's history:
2004-05: Felton 31.7 MPG, May 26.7 MPG, McCants 25.9 MPG
2007-08: Hansbrough 33.0 MPG, Ellington 31.1 MPG, Ginyard 28.1 MPG, Lawson 25.3 MPG
2008-09: Ellington 30.4 MPG, Hansbrough 30.3 MPG, Lawson 29.9 MPG, Green 27.4 MPG
2010-11: Barnes 29.4 MPG, Zeller 28.1 MPG, Strickland 27.0 MPG, Henson 26.7 MPG, Marshall in conf play 35 MPG
2011-12: Marshall 33.0 MPG, Barnes 29.2 MPG, Henson 29.1 MPG, Zeller 28.2 MPG
2015-16: Paige 31.6 MPG, Berry 30.6 MPG, Jackson 28.4 MPG, Johnson 28.0 MPG
2016-17: Jackson 32.0 MPG, Berry 30.4 MPG

I picked the Final Four teams plus the two Marshall seasons. Those are widely concerned Roy's best teams.
I don't think a 25 minute limit is realistic. I don't know if there's any college team where their leading minutes player averages 25 minutes per game.

I know everyone had some PTSD from last year but this picking of 30 minutes as a limit just has never been the case for any of the really good Roy teams. And that's even considering Roy had NBA big guys frequently come off the bench (Marvin Williams, Ed Davis, Tony Bradley). And even for those teams, big guys played over 25 minutes. And played over 30 minutes in one case.

What's your minutes preference for each player on our roster? In a big picture sense. I know it can change game-to-game based on circumstances.

I'm not advocating for dudes to play 35 MPG unless we absolutely have to do to injury. Also, if Seth is an offensive 0 again, then Cadeau will likely have to play more minutes. I hope Seth gets a reasonable opportunity to show what he's got. I hope he takes advantage of it. But I also don't want to force minutes on Seth because of some minutes limit that has never been followed in the last 20+ years at UNC.

I personally prefer we not have any player have to play over 25mins a game, said that many times and my view has not changed at all. For 2 reasons, first, seen that movie that ends in Bacot on crutches to end the season, prefer not to watch that movie again this coming season. I fully believe the wear and tare of those huge minutes increases the chances of injury. I want fresh legs in games early season but I really want UNC to have the fresher legs in post season. 25mins is an arbitrary number, call it a number I pulled out of a hat but it beats the heck out of 5 guys all playing nearly 40 each game.

I am good with a player having the hot hand and playing 35min in a particular game, I just want that as a skew to the average rather than the norm. Look, not all teams (UNC included) can do this, in fact it is rare that one has the kind of talent ready to produce on it's bench to allow it to happen. No, we did not have that kind of ready to produce bench the last 2 seasons thou I do NOT agree our bench was as weak as it has been portrayed. But this collection of players I do see as able to do just this, so that we can be a fresh team late season and hopefully not having as many injuries. Yet if we do get injuries, really important to have guys on the bench ready to step in and produce and for that to happen they need minutes before hand.

I think trying to assign minutes to individual players at this time of the year is akin to playing darts blindfolded! LOL Simply we not only do not know how individual players will fit but we don't even know what the different combinations may offer. Starters is just 1 combination of players, there may well be, I suspect there will be different combinations that work better in one game as opposed to the next and that may not be all starters (guys that begin the game).

I do suspect that I value Withers, Jalen, Seth, and Ingram more than many seem to. I see everyone of those guys right now as starters, they may not begin the game but I do think they all need to get solid minutes and by solid minutes I am talking about no less than 10mins a game on average. I don't care, don't know why I should, what minute allocations were for past teams, past teams were not THIS team! Every team is different, there really is not a 1 size that fits all. In college basketball you have to find ways to keep the talent you have the way to do that is to play them, if you don't they develop and go produce for some other program.

200 minutes…
You have enough for
3 Level division for 9 main players
— 3 - 30 minute players
— 3 - 25 minute
— 3 - 10 minute

Or

— 3 - 30 minute players
— 2 - 25 minute players
— 4 - 15 minute players

As a person: I like RJ's loyalty, hard work, and sacrifices! I love how hard he worked to be a better PG despite having a 2G mindset. I love how he is willing to take the last second shots and has stepped up as a leader. I love the incredibly steep learning curve he displayed as UNC pivoted each time! We owe RJ for so much, not the least of which is his agreement to move back to 2 so Cadeau could re-cass! I like that his heart and character are twice as large as his stature!

As a PG: I love how he is developing better sense of spacing, post entry passes, and a sense of when to drive/kick; drive/dish, or drive/finish! I love how his shooting keeps folks honest and provides the bigs with a great outlet. I like how he rebounds well for his size and immediately starts the offence. His handles are good and he is coachable also. I expect another jump in his PG effectiveness too with the off-season work and his new running mate's example!

But primarily, he is Family and we should also try to accommodate his wishes when they don't conflict with team needs!

Rebounding, obviously.
Let make sure I word that properly, I was referring to RJ as a PG! Want to make sure I say this, love him as a player but I do not love him as a PG. But ya know what, I didn't like Leaky as a PG either, didn't like Caleb at the point simply because they were not PGs.

I wonder sometimes if folks really appreciate how much it changes things (for the better) by moving RJ to the 2 spot? All the sudden he becomes a really quick, good ball handling, 3 level scorer at the 2, back court gets much quicker. Lets RJ focus on what he does best, get his own offense cranked up and yet by having to be our PG for so long is wiling to make that extra pass that we were not getting from the 2 spot last season. I think it is a total win/win for us. PLEASE let the combination passing begin!

As a person: I like RJ's loyalty, hard work, and sacrifices! I love how hard he worked to be a better PG despite having a 2G mindset. I love how he is willing to take the last second shots and has stepped up as a leader. I love the incredibly steep learning curve he displayed as UNC pivoted each time! We owe RJ for so much, not the least of which is his agreement to move back to 2 so Cadeau could re-cass! I like that his heart and character are twice as large as his stature!

As a PG: I love how he is developing better sense of spacing, post entry passes, and a sense of when to drive/kick; drive/dish, or drive/finish! I love how his shooting keeps folks honest and provides the bigs with a great outlet. I like how he rebounds well for his size and immediately starts the offence. His handles are good and he is coachable also. I expect another jump in his PG effectiveness too with the off-season work and his new running mate's example!

But primarily, he is Family and we should also try to accommodate his wishes when they don't conflict with team needs!
TP, I completely agree with your first paragraph, the second one lets just realize that at times friends do disagree and that is not to be taken as a negative toward RJ, love the kid and very glad he is still with us. I do want to see both RJ and Bacot take a very strong leadership role for this team but frankly, I want them to be held to the same level of accountability as any other player and I do not believe that has happened in the last 2years. I don't want this team to be all about Bacot and RJ. RJ and Bacot's wishes should be for UNC to not lose their last game of the upcoming season and what ever it takes for that to be their reality. Accommodating an individual players wishes outside of that, I don't really get in to that, kind of feel like we maybe accommodated to many in the last couple years and feel that now is a time for team to be more important than individual accommodations. Don't mean to come off harsh in saying that and of course not intended to come off as harsh toward you my friend.

But I don't agree that it is in the best interest of this team to have RJ slide over to the point when Cadeau sits and I do not want that to be done from accommodation. I have watched that movie 2 seasons in a row now, I would rather not see it a 3rd time or ever again. The man that coached Hubert in college did not tolerate that. If this group of players can develop a total team mindset then all the individual achievements will be there, they will get their flowers and they will smell much sweeter, even to NBA scouts.

• Love
I wonder sometimes if folks really appreciate how much it changes things (for the better) by moving RJ to the 2 spot?
This is theoretical at this point, but I sure hope you are correct.

It could also be the case that he doesn't do better as a catch-and-shoot threat, even with Cadeau getting him the ball. Or it could be the case that Cadeau - like Marshall - focuses mainly on getting the ball to his bigs, especially bigs streaking to the basket, in which case RJ may shoot a lot less than he did as point.

If I could just get my time machine working, I could peek ahead and see how it works out. Dang flux capacitor.

I see it as largely a moot point. RJ is a primary 2 this year. I trust Cadeau is going to be a 28 to 30 plus minute guy running the show.

I like RJ as the main plug in to spell him at PG. He will get PG run, just very limited compared to his previous role there. I think that fits well.

It could also be the case that he doesn't do better as a catch-and-shoot threat, even with Cadeau getting him the ball. Or it could be the case that Cadeau - like Marshall - focuses mainly on getting the ball to his bigs, especially bigs streaking to the basket, in which case RJ may shoot a lot less than he did as point.

If I could just get my time machine working, I could peek ahead and see how it works out. Dang flux capacitor.
As juniors both RJ and Caleb shot very well in catch and shoot scenarios. The issue with them was they were often shooting tough step back looks not catch and shoots. RJ with his size often had to take extended step backs to get his looks.

I think if Cadeau's point acumen does indeed translate, hitting RJ in rhythm will be a key part to his floor generalship.

Your first line, well of course absolutely right.

My favorite thing that I have watched RJ do and he seemed to do it more last season than his other 2, was when he got switched off on to by a big man out in space. RJ just puts him on a string, he toys with the big man, yes it ends up a step back most often but that is the shot he wants, not a shot he is forced to take. While there are so many other tools in his bag, that one tool shows me that it is a safe bet he will excel as a 2. I definitely got the sense that RJ, not just this post season but for all 3 of his seasons so far took better shots progressively each season than his running mate did, my sense that RJ took better shots last season than maybe anyone else in our line up, wished he could have taken more of the looks he prefers and not have to spend time trying to be a PG.

One thing I really want to see and I can pretty convinced we finally have the guys to do this constantly, the thing that has been rinse and repeated on us so constantly... PG drive by his defender or use the high pick to rub his defender off drive the lane. That sucks in the out side defenders, our PG drive and then kick back out to RJ or Ryan or any of them for the wide open trey from out front. Cadeau was born to run that set and most often would not even need the high screen to rub the defender. And then you know, the slip to Bacot with his man pinned or the slip to Withers off the base line cut. So then what, they try to extend a hedge on Cadeau so his defender has a chance to recover, he turns down the high pick and ducks back thru and leaves everyone scratching their heads while he lays the ball in? LOL Quickness of feet and hands and body control for a PG is a wonderful thing!

Your first line, well of course absolutely right.

My favorite thing that I have watched RJ do and he seemed to do it more last season than his other 2, was when he got switched off on to by a big man out in space. RJ just puts him on a string, he toys with the big man, yes it ends up a step back most often but that is the shot he wants, not a shot he is forced to take. While there are so many other tools in his bag, that one tool shows me that it is a safe bet he will excel as a 2. I definitely got the sense that RJ, not just this post season but for all 3 of his seasons so far took better shots progressively each season than his running mate did, my sense that RJ took better shots last season than maybe anyone else in our line up, wished he could have taken more of the looks he prefers and not have to spend time trying to be a PG.

One thing I really want to see and I can pretty convinced we finally have the guys to do this constantly, the thing that has been rinse and repeated on us so constantly... PG drive by his defender or use the high pick to rub his defender off drive the lane. That sucks in the out side defenders, our PG drive and then kick back out to RJ or Ryan or any of them for the wide open trey from out front. Cadeau was born to run that set and most often would not even need the high screen to rub the defender. And then you know, the slip to Bacot with his man pinned or the slip to Withers off the base line cut. So then what, they try to extend a hedge on Cadeau so his defender has a chance to recover, he turns down the high pick and ducks back thru and leaves everyone scratching their heads while he lays the ball in? LOL Quickness of feet and hands and body control for a PG is a wonderful thing!
Preach brother!

Back to the ACC for a minute, most teams will be starting several new guys.

Using the info from the OP's link - which could be wrong but you have to start somewhere - we see these PROJECTED STARTERS. Listed in that article's predicted order of finish.

Biggest surprise to me is how few frosh are predicted to start. Of course that could be the author's bias, and surely some frosh will work their way into a lineup during the year.

TeamReturningTransfersFreshmen
Duke5----
Miami41--
UNC221
Virginia32--
Clemson32--
Va Tech41--
NC State23--
FSU41--
Pitt32--
Syracuse32--
Louisville221
Wake32--
Ga Tech32--
Boston Coll41--
Notre Dame122
Total (ave)46 (3.1)25 (1.7)4 (0.3)

Look at you trying to actually talk about the topic! D-no worries, mate. I have no expectation that peeps will agree with me all the time! I feel like both the ACC and UNC are poised for a serious bounce back! I watched last year and I know for a fact, we were a true PG away from a dadgum good season. I feel it in my bones, that Hubs has the team that fits his style perfectly and can get us back to UNC ball! The ACC is brand new all over and so are most good teams out there. This is the new normal for college bball! If UNC and puke are ballin' and we have 5-6 other teams following suit, the ACC is fully back! I see a scenario where we get 8 in the tourney this season and the excitement starts in November!

BTW: I really put a lot of stock in rewarding players for their loyalty and sacrifice because I feel this is pivotal to the Family idea! I do not believe in accommodating if it hurts the team but keeping your word and honoring promises has to be part of our MO! If the convo with RJ included some time at point; it must be granted! BUT that is not to say it can't be taken away if the team efficiency dips significantly! Seth controls his own destiny and could demand time at point! I like to believe that a real leader (like I believe RJ is) would recognize this and step aside! Lots of moving parts: Seth v RJ; Ryan v Ingram; Washington V Withers; Wojcik?, High?, minute distribution?, bench usage? speed of play and 2ndary?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT