ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bradley

UNC-75

Hall of Famer
Feb 11, 2008
I was thinking the other day what a mistake it was for Tony to leave after one year. I was trying not to think about this opinion from a Tar Heel fan (obviously we would be better with him this year) but only from his point of view. Playing mostly in the G league a look at his statistics shows that he has played in only 8 NBA games. All others he was either inactive or did not play. He has scored a total of 8 points in those NBA games. Averaging 3.4 minutes a game in those games he played in. So I figure in retrospect it was not a good decision by Tony as it would seem that he would have been a major focus for our team this year and improve his stock as well to improve his overall game.

Then I looked at the contract he signed. Guaranteed $3,094,440 for 2 years. Free agent 2021. So if Tony puts that in the bank for 40 years with a modest 5% gain on the investment which seems reasonable at this time, he would be worth $21,784,822.67 without working a day past the 2 year contract.

After looking at the numbers over and over again, I went to the back yard and practiced my shooting skills and am declaring for the draft at my press conference tomorrow. Wish me luck. Anyone know of a good agent as I am willing to sign right now to collect my bonus.

I was thinking the other day what a mistake it was for Tony to leave after one year. I was trying not to think about this opinion from a Tar Heel fan (obviously we would be better with him this year) but only from his point of view. Playing mostly in the G league a look at his statistics shows that he has played in only 8 NBA games. All others he was either inactive or did not play. He has scored a total of 8 points in those NBA games. Averaging 3.4 minutes a game in those games he played in. So I figure in retrospect it was not a good decision by Tony as it would seem that he would have been a major focus for our team this year and improve his stock as well to improve his overall game.

Then I looked at the contract he signed. Guaranteed $3,094,440 for 2 years. Free agent 2021. So if Tony puts that in the bank for 40 years with a modest 5% gain on the investment which seems reasonable at this time, he would be worth $21,784,822.67 without working a day past the 2 year contract.

After looking at the numbers over and over again, I went to the back yard and practiced my shooting skills and am declaring for the draft at my press conference tomorrow. Wish me luck. Anyone know of a good agent as I am willing to sign right now to collect my bonus.
Did you account for his agent fees, living expenses those two years, and taxes?

Hell, his lack of production so far might indicate that he wasn't as good as he was projected to be --- perhaps he wouldn't've met expectations as a sophomore, hurting his stock. Who knows? Can't fault a guy for taking the money while it's in front of his face.

Exactly. No one on this board would turn down $21.7 million.

If "dark figures" in his life pushed him to this decision, send them my way next so I can collect my 21 mil.
Sheeit! Nobody is turning down the 2 yr 3 mill guaranteed even if he pisses it away. Especially not at 19 years old.

Reactions: RoseHeel
I'm not an accountant. I'm now officially a promising NBA future all star! :) Can anyone come over to my backyard and make a you tube video to get me better known?

(Obviously these guys have expenses and commitments and never save the max anyways as the promise of the good life takes over! But even at a modest savings rate with half of that put down the decision is one one that any accountant would agree to)

Reactions: nctransplant
... and add in "shooting coach", "conditioning coach", etc, etc, etc...
I'll just say an awful lot of that money is already spoken for, and had he waited and gone Lottery he would've passed that total in short order. It's a hard concept for some to grasp, but every once in a while, what's good for the program is also good for the player.

... and add in "shooting coach", "conditioning coach", etc, etc, etc...
I'll just say an awful lot of that money is already spoken for, and had he waited and gone Lottery he would've passed that total in short order. It's a hard concept for some to grasp, but every once in a while, what's good for the program is also good for the player.

Now you're in the business of guaranteeing lottery spots? You sound like the dark figures.

Now you're in the business of guaranteeing lottery spots? You sound like the dark figures.
Let's put it this way: That would have been about as close to a guarantee as one could give in these situations. But hey, those "dark figures" are gettin' paid, so what do they care?

He could have stayed and developed into a lottery pick. He also could have stayed and blown out his knee and never played ball again. It's a risk/reward issue and a personal preference. The only thing we know for sure is that we'll never know for sure what would have happened.

Not even close to what he is going to make. He for example is in the highest tax bracket which eats a large portion of his income. He might be bringing home 1.2-1.5 million when all is said and done. That said... that is like 12 years working for me. So, I mean, you can't blame him too much. I think he left early because he was going to get exposed and lose his draft position if he stayed.

Plenty of kids comeback and don’t get drafted.

Happy for TB. It’s never easy in the NBA. Hell Reggie Bullock is JUST now starting to get good PT and putting up decent numbers..

It’s a bad choice to SOME UNC fans because most just want him playing for free on UNC right about now.

He could have stayed and developed into a lottery pick. He also could have stayed and blown out his knee and never played ball again. It's a risk/reward issue and a personal preference. The only thing we know for sure is that we'll never know for sure what would have happened.
This is the situation in a nutshell!
No one knows for sure what would have happened.

Tony/his family likely assessed the risk/reward and made their best decision based on that.

I don’t know the Bradley’s situation, but if it was my kid I’d have encouraged them to do another year.
UNLESS I was worried they’d get injured or exposed.

But, it wasn’t my decision, he’s not my kid and I wish him all the best.

And, as Archer said above... water under the bridge.

You act like this is his last contract. Worst case he plays over seas for spending money to let the first round guarantee income continue building. Time value of money is a wonderful thing if he is savvy or has someone who can point him in the right direction. Put it in something relatively safe, don't spend like a drunken sailor and enjoy life young man.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I mean let's not forget he won a national championship and was probably guaranteed to be a first round pick and just slid into the 2nd round. Could he have used the development at UNC? No doubt. He would be putting up probably 14 and 10 and looking to be a top 25 pick but you can't fault him for leaving after you win a championship. Either decision was a good one and I'm happy for him that he achieved his dream and is in the NBA

I mean let's not forget he won a national championship and was probably guaranteed to be a first round pick and just slid into the 2nd round. Could he have used the development at UNC? No doubt. He would be putting up probably 14 and 10 and looking to be a top 25 pick but you can't fault him for leaving after you win a championship. Either decision was a good one and I'm happy for him that he achieved his dream and is in the NBA
Tony is not a "sure thing" NBA stud. He was drafted at the # 28 slot(1st round) guaranteed money. He's paid 7 digits to develop with the Jazz coaches dedicated to making him a asset next year or the year after. Roy would have developed him as well, but not with the guaranteed money, and not the focus on NBA skills. Great decision for Tony, although selfishly I would of liked him to have taken the easy road and been a big man on campus with national attention heaped on his game for my Heels.

I am grateful that TB played one year for us.

He and his family made what they considered the best decision, and he received a very generous guaranteed contract. I see nothing wrong with his decision. Remember, he is only 20 years old, 6'10", 248 lb. and athletic. He will do just fine in the NBA and undoubtedly be a credit to UNC as one of many players in the NBA.

How many kids "develop" into lottery picks? If we want to focus specifically on UNC players, how many of Roy's players developed into lottery picks?

Sean May, Kendall Marshall and Justin Jackson? Anyone else "develop" into lottery picks or were they already lottery picks that happened to stay an extra year or 2?

Guys who come back typically don't look better to NBA scouts if they were going to already be 1st round picks after their freshman year. Additionally, this is a pretty loaded class. I'm not 100% sure Miles Bridges is a lottery lock and he's one of the 3 best players in the country.

The other issue is who is the last really good NBA big man that Roy has sent to the NBA? The answer is probably none. Maybe the whole "develop" notion is a fallacy with big guys under Roy in the NBA.

How many kids "develop" into lottery picks? If we want to focus specifically on UNC players, how many of Roy's players developed into lottery picks?

Sean May, Kendall Marshall and Justin Jackson? Anyone else "develop" into lottery picks or were they already lottery picks that happened to stay an extra year or 2?

Guys who come back typically don't look better to NBA scouts if they were going to already be 1st round picks after their freshman year. Additionally, this is a pretty loaded class. I'm not 100% sure Miles Bridges is a lottery lock and he's one of the 3 best players in the country.

The other issue is who is the last really good NBA big man that Roy has sent to the NBA? The answer is probably none. Maybe the whole "develop" notion is a fallacy with big guys under Roy in the NBA.
Plenty of people can develop into one. Im on my phone right now so I'm not going to type out a long list, but there was a guy who did it recently who played in the ACC. He came back and improved his draft position. Not sure how many know him, but his name is Justin Jackson. Maybe you just don't like my wording. Would it make you feel better if I said improve enough to become a high draft pick? Surely you would agree with that right?

He came back and improved his draft position. Not sure how many know him, but his name is Justin Jackson.

Jackson would've been a one-and-done lottery pick if he'd shot high 30s from 3 instead of right at 30%. Ditto for leaving after his sophomore year. He didn't need "development", really; he just needed to show he could hit shots.

After his one year, Bradley's strengths (ridiculous length, offensive rebounding, coordination, some foundation for a shot) and weaknesses (athleticism, rim protection) were both very clear. Another year wouldn't've changed much unless he got more athletic or showed a strong jumper, which he didn't feel we'd let him do.

Last edited:
Didn't we beat this to death alreadY?
beating-a-dead-horse-meme-300x210.jpg

Jackson would've been a one-and-done lottery pick if he'd shot high 30s from 3 instead of right at 30%. Ditto for leaving after his sophomore year. He didn't need "development", really; he just needed to show he could hit shots.

After his one year, Bradley's strengths (ridiculous length, offensive rebounding, coordination, some foundation for a shot) and weaknesses (athleticism, rim protection) were both very clear. Another year wouldn't've changed much unless he got more athletic or showed a strong jumper, which he didn't feel we'd let him do.
You're doing what he did and arguing about wording. If the word develop bothers you replace it with improvement. My original point was we don't know what would have happened and unless @SJung851 is Jesus he doesn't know either.

Reactions: Sk1310

Was he unlucky for 2 straight years, or did the work with Roy/Hubert pay off where he was able to hit shots consistently? That's called development. I also recall him saying he made changes to his shot junior year.

I wonder how much of that money he actually got. And how much is left.

Tony Bradley....Tony Bradley....tall guy, right? Yeah, I think I do remember him. What's he doing these days?

Reactions: Archer2
Plenty of people can develop into one. Im on my phone right now so I'm not going to type out a long list, but there was a guy who did it recently who played in the ACC. He came back and improved his draft position. Not sure how many know him, but his name is Justin Jackson. Maybe you just don't like my wording. Would it make you feel better if I said improve enough to become a high draft pick? Surely you would agree with that right?
Plenty of players "can" develop into lottery picks, but how many of them do? Generally, the guys that would be lottery picks, stay lottery picks the next year and the fringe first round guys that come back stay fringe first rounders.

There's typically one exception to this per year: Justin Jackson (whom I did mention in my post), Frank Kaminsky, Buddy Hield... But by in large, returning doesn't help kids in the NBA draft. That doesn't mean returning doesn't help them, but it doesn't make them more attractive to NBA teams in the draft.

I know it appears to be a questionable choice right now for Tony Bradley, but I wouldn't be surprised if in 4 years he's in a better position than Justin Jackson. Bradley's in a real good culture in Utah. Jackson is in one of the most dysfunctional franchises in the NBA in Sacramento. There's a log-jam in Utah at the 5 spot when healthy with Gobbert and Favors... but Favors is gone either way. His contract expires so he's walking or they're trading him. Bradley should get his opportunity after he develops under a real quality youth development system.

Plenty of players "can" develop into lottery picks, but how many of them do? Generally, the guys that would be lottery picks, stay lottery picks the next year and the fringe first round guys that come back stay fringe first rounders.

There's typically one exception to this per year: Justin Jackson (whom I did mention in my post), Frank Kaminsky, Buddy Hield... But by in large, returning doesn't help kids in the NBA draft. That doesn't mean returning doesn't help them, but it doesn't make them more attractive to NBA teams in the draft.

I know it appears to be a questionable choice right now for Tony Bradley, but I wouldn't be surprised if in 4 years he's in a better position than Justin Jackson. Bradley's in a real good culture in Utah. Jackson is in one of the most dysfunctional franchises in the NBA in Sacramento. There's a log-jam in Utah at the 5 spot when healthy with Gobbert and Favors... but Favors is gone either way. His contract expires so he's walking or they're trading him. Bradley should get his opportunity after he develops under a real quality youth development system.
This isn't much different than what I have posted in this thread. The only difference is I've never said it was more or less likely for something to happen, because it's just impossible to know. Again, my point was that we will never know and it was a risk/reward decision for him. That being said we are all assuming that the money is the reason he left. There could have been other factors as well.

Ummmm, I'll play this game, but I will take the opposite end of convo. 3 million dollar ain't crap!

The opening post gave a modest 5 Percent on 3 million over 40 years. Unfortunately that 3 million is being taxed, and personal expenses cost right away.

TB at this point half way through his first season suxx as a NBA player and that is all I can go off of right now. So with that in mind he is on course to never earn another dime in NBA (I think he will).

Now if TB stays and becomes lottery this year (highly likely, hell Maye is averaging a double double). That gives him 10-12 million to play with over 3-4 years, and also because he would be such a high pick an NBA GM almost has to give him a second contract because nobody wants to be proven wrong on high draft pick even if it takes 5 years for a guy to be ready to contribute to a team, so take on another 10-12 million at worst for the second contract.

Not saying I would turn down 3 million, but I could if I thought I would possibly make 20-24 million by staying one more year (number based upon high picks generally get a second contract).

Now add 5 Percent interest to 20 million over 40 years and that buys you a lot of Nike's. Lol.

There was a financial case for Bradley staying. I ain't mad at him at all, but personally it could have worked for everyone if he stayed.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
Now if TB stays and becomes lottery this year (highly likely, hell Maye is averaging a double double).

Highly speculative and probably not true.

and also because he would be such a high pick an NBA GM almost has to give him a second contract because nobody wants to be proven wrong on high draft pick even if it takes 5 years for a guy to be ready to contribute to a team, so take on another 10-12 million at worst for the second contract.

That's just silly. Players get dumped when they don't produce.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT