ADVERTISEMENT

UK Harrison's post-game comments....are they a big deal?

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
I wanted to let a few days pass before bringing this to our Radar v2.0 on OOTB. I'm sure y'all all saw/heard Harrison's post-game comment about Kaminsky when he didn't know the mic was hot. In general, there wasn't that big of a media hubbub about it -- at least from what I noticed. I admittedly didn't watch much NCAAT tourney after that game ended. But I do see a lot of people outraged on message boards and stuff about how "awful" and "shocking" his off-the-cuff comment was.

I submit to you, OOTB, is what he said a big deal?

I say no it isn't. Not even in the slightest. The dude just lost an elimination game, one game from the championship game where they could make history and go undefeated. And in said game, Kentucky just had no answer for Kaminsky and Dekker. Furthermore, Frank The Tank showed in the last few games that he often times is Frank The Flop, which is always frustrating to other players.

And even taking that context away, I still don't think it's a big deal. Methinks some people need to come out of their protective bubble and realize that's just how my generation talks. It reminds me of the Incognito/J. Martin thing where it came to light that many black Dolphins players used the N-word in the locker room and were also cool with Incognito using it as well. I was watching the CBS NFL pre-game show at the time, and this fact was mentioned and Shannon Sharpe (as well as Tom Jackson on ESPN) were shocked and appalled that black players of this generation casually use the N-word in the locker room, on the field, etc.

To me though, is it really that shocking? Maybe I'm just from a younger generation so I'm accustomed to it, but you hear it all the time. So to me, the Harrison comment is no big deal. In fact, I take it as a begrudging sign of respect for Kaminsky's game. Translation for his comment is: "We could not stop that dude, regardless of what we did, and it was frustrating."

Thoughts?

This post was edited on 4/10 11:28 AM by TarHeelNation11

Not a big deal to me and I am older. I thought of it as a heat of the moment type thing especially considering what they were trying to do, be undefeated and all the hype around that.

No. Huge disappointment coupled with having a live mic and hearing pointed questions rarely ends well.

It's a big deal to me. Let me assure you that if my son had said something like that, I would have lost my mind.

Here's the deal, I get the "heat of the moment" thing. And I agree with it. But a coach should only trot those out to the podium that he knows are going to paint the school in the best light. Calipari probably doesn't think it's a big deal. But I assure you that the AD and the President of the school found it to be a big deal. Those two are in a position where their main focus is to bring positive attention to UK. Frankly, that should be the main focus of everyone - to always, regardless of the situation, present yourself and any entity you represent, in the most positive fashion.

Perception is everything. And I can promise that Harrison's stock dropped, even if only incrementally, because of that. If he was a top 5 draft pick before that happened, he's probably only a top 10 draft pick after such an event.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

In fact, I take it as a begrudging sign of respect for Kaminsky's game. Translation for his comment is: "We could not stop that dude, regardless of what we did, and it was frustrating."
Agreed, but I thought the comment was horrible and inappropriate.

I'll spare you the two-page threads about the double standard of the N word and the blowback that would have resulted if a white Wisconsin player had uttered that about a black Kentucky player. Those discussions are played out.

I don't care that it was the heat of the moment, or that the questions were pointed, or that he didn't know the microphone was on, or that some of us might hear (or use) that kind of language with regularity. That's all irrelevant. We're talking about a guy who's had cameras and mics shoved in his face non-stop for the past 2(+) years at UK and as a recruit. By now he should have learned how to conduct himself in public with more composure than that, regardless of the situation.

I assume that broadcast was carried live on television and radio, yes? Surely the Big Blue Nation radio picked it up and broadcast it to thousands of kids across the Commonwealth. I don't have children, but can't imagine having to explain that comment to them. On the other hand, even kids probably know that you're not supposed to drop f-bombs and use racial epithets in public. Just classless all the way around.

For the record, I was mortified when Roy told Bonnie Bernstein that he didn't "give a ****" about North Carolina 12 years ago. That was inexcusable and classless as well, IMO.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
For the record, I was mortified when Roy told Bonnie Bernstein that he didn't "give a ****" about North Carolina 12 years ago. That was inexcusable and classless as well, IMO.
While it was inexcusable and classless, I thought it was funny as hell. To be fair, you don't ask any coach a question like that during halftime of a Final Four matchup. It doesn't excuse what he did, but I'm glad he said it purely for the sake of my entertainment.

As for Harrison, I don't know what he said, but I assume it's no big deal just based on the PC world we live in.

As always... CONTEXT. These post-game PC's are usually loaded with dumbest questions that the "journalist" already knows the answer. I think it shows incredible lack of composure, and probably offers some insight on how Harrison really thinks and feels at his core (at least in tense situations like being in front of dozens of cameras and a room full of reporters after having lost your first game of the year and it's a Final Four game). Was anyone shocked by what he said or that he said it?

These kids are in a system that has debased the emphasis on actual education. They are just kids who want to play professional basketball and get paid. This whole student-athlete farce is just getting more and more of a blatant joke. These kids are not recruited for their candor, their charisma or their minds. They are recruited and given a scholarship so they can draw crowds, sell tickets, sell merchandise and make money for every hand that is open in the whole racket. I'm not trying to excuse what he said, or that it reveals a simplistic, racial tone. That's how he is wired. He's a street kid, I guess. That's how they communicate. It doesn't offend me. He didn't like Kaminsky at all at that moment. If you asked him the next day... it would probably be much less controversial.

Originally posted by coolwaterunc:

As for Harrison, I don't know what he said, but I assume it's no big deal just based on the PC world we live in.
The reporter was asking a question -- to a different Kentucky player -- about Frank Kaminsky and when the reporter said "....let me ask a question about Frank Kaminsky...." to which Harrison muttered as an aside to his teammates sitting up there, "F*** that n****a" and the mic picked it up.

I'll spare you the two-page threads about the double standard of the N word and the blowback that would have resulted if a white Wisconsin player had uttered that about a black Kentucky player. Those discussions are played out.
Well yeah, that obviously goes without saying. Double standard for sure.

I don't care that it was the heat of the moment, or that the questions were pointed, or that he didn't know the microphone was on, or that some of us might hear (or use) that kind of language with regularity. That's all irrelevant. We're talking about a guy who's had cameras and mics shoved in his face non-stop for the past 2(+) years at UK and as a recruit. By now he should have learned how to conduct himself in public with more composure than that, regardless of the situation.

I assume that broadcast was carried live on television and radio, yes? Surely the Big Blue Nation radio picked it up and broadcast it to thousands of kids across the Commonwealth. I don't have children, but can't imagine having to explain that comment to them. On the other hand, even kids probably know that you're not supposed to drop f-bombs and use racial epithets in public. Just classless all the way around.
I mean yeah, it wasn't very classy, but I'm kind of surprised that you're so offended / upset about this. I mean I get what you're saying; regardless of how you talk in private or away from cameras, you should be able to clean it up and speak with dignity in interviews when cameras and recorders are rolling.

But still, it isn't a big deal to me at all. IMO, in no way, does Harrison's comment reflect badly on Kentucky Basketball, the University of Kentucky, or Calipari. It just reflects badly on Harrison and makes him look a big petty.

I dunno.....to me, just not a big deal. Anyone that tries to take this comment and extrapolate it out to reflect negatively on UK/Calipari is just a hater and looking for anything negative about UK, in my opinion

All I got to say is... F that dude.
wink.r191677.gif

It wasn't how, when or where he said it . . . for the losing team to be questioned is pretty ridiculous IMO. I could actually give less than a f^ck . . . but, if you've ever heard the twin's old man talk, then you'd realize that the Harrison's are nothing but SHIT.

The twins sucked the last 6 minutes of the Wisky game, both of them laid big eggs. And for that, I couldn't be happier . .

F^ck em both . .
cool.r191677.gif

Anyone that tries to take this comment and extrapolate it out to reflect negatively on UK/Calipari is just a hater and looking for anything negative about UK, in my opinion
Agreed. Personal accountability seems to be a forgotten concept. I don't know how anyone can sincerely suggest that Calapari or UK promote or endorse that kind of behavior. Those were his comments alone. He owns them, not anyone else.

Let me clarify something. Any offense or upset I've communicated hasn't been about me personally. I can actually find the humor in it, as cool has suggested. My comments about it being offensive or upsetting are relative to what the public at large should be subjected to in that particular setting. Like I said, think about the kids who were listening. Think about your grandparents, who were from a generation that didn't have any swearing on TV, much less two of the (arguably) most offensive words in our vocabulary. Think about Dean Smith, who reputedly never uttered a swear word (at least publicly).

Strum alluded to context, which is what I'm getting at as well. It wasn't like millions of Americans sat down to watch an episode of Deadwood with their families and were shocked by the explicit language and graphic violence. Sporting events are supposed to be a pretty safe viewing option for all ages, and Harrison turned it into something else entirely.

I often swear like a sailor myself. But I do it in the privacy of my home, not at work or restaurants or sporting events because there are standards for public decorum. That's the test that Harrison failed IMO.

Well yeah, that obviously goes without saying. Double standard for sure.

I mean yeah, it wasn't very classy, but I'm kind of surprised that you're so offended / upset about this. I mean I get what you're saying; regardless of how you talk in private or away from cameras, you should be able to clean it up and speak with dignity in interviews when cameras and recorders are rolling.

But still, it isn't a big deal to me at all. IMO, in no way, does Harrison's comment reflect badly on Kentucky Basketball, the University of Kentucky, or Calipari. It just reflects badly on Harrison and makes him look a big petty.

I dunno.....to me, just not a big deal. Anyone that tries to take this comment and extrapolate it out to reflect negatively on UK/Calipari is just a hater and looking for anything negative about UK, in my opinion
How can you say that? How does it NOT reflect poorly on UK and Cal? Harrison was sitting at that microphone because HE PLAYS BALL FOR UK AND CAL. If the kid is being interviewed for some other reason and wasn't a UK student, then yeah, it would only reflect poorly on him. But Cal and UK selected him not only to play ball, but to be a face and a representative of the program. When he speaks in public, he's speaking not only for Andrew Harrison but also for UK.

Let me ask you this, how would your boss feel if you were interviewed on national TV about your business and you dropped a racial slur and the F-bomb? Would you have a job the next day?

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
How does it NOT reflect poorly on UK and Cal?
Because neither Cal nor UK said it. Harrison said it.

Like Raising said, personal accountability is dead. It's never an individual's fault anymore. It has to be a systemic fault, a generational fault, a racial tension fault, society's fault, a parent's fault, etc etc. Why can't we just attribute blame directly to the source: Harrison. It ain't UK's fault and it ain't Calipari's fault. You really think UK or Calipari are fostering a culture of "let's drop F bombs and racial slurs up on the podium" ? Lol.

As to your hypothetical about me publicly cursing and the effect it would have on my job. I feel that the same logic I used above, applies to this example too. I think it's really dumb that employers/companies are publicly pressured to fire employees when said employee says something dumb and it gets out to the public. I think it's yet another example of mindless America and mob mentality that we, collectively, aren't smart enough to say "You know what, it's not Bank of America [or insert any company] that's fostering some sort of secret sexist culture. This isn't their fault. It's just Billy Bob's fault for saying something really dumb that ended up going public." Instead, we -- again, the collective we -- become filled with PC-driven angst and phony outrage, and organize boycotts, and sit-ins, and hunger strikes of big bad EVIL Bank of America [again, insert company here] until they fire said employee. It's all just ridiculous. Now all that being said, if BoA proactively, and on their own accord, CHOOSE to fire said employee, I have zero problem with it. It's the public pressure and manufactured phony outrage against the company, not the individual, that irks me.

Personal accountability is dead. If you use a gun to murder someone, it's the gun manufacturer's fault. If you are white and get assaulted or killed by a minority, it's the fault of your racist grandparent's past actions before you were born. And on and on and on and on.

The reporter was asking a question -- to a different Kentucky player -- about Frank Kaminsky and when the reporter said "....let me ask a question about Frank Kaminsky...." to which Harrison muttered as an aside to his teammates sitting up there, "F*** that n****a" and the mic picked it up.
Oh...well then...

He clearly screwed up, but that's how they talk. I'm not excusing it, by any means, as you'd think he'd have the sense to hold off on saying stuff like like that when he's in the back with his "boys" rather than right in the middle of nationally televised press conference - what a moron, by the way.

Oh...well then...

He clearly screwed up, but that's how they talk. I'm not excusing it, by any means, as you'd think he'd have the sense to hold off on saying stuff like like that when he's in the back with his "boys" rather than right in the middle of nationally televised press conference - what a moron, by the way.
My former-girlfriend was black (African American) and she told me about something called "Code Switch." She said that around certain friends or family, the more "ghetto" side (if it exists) can come out in order to make the people you're around feel like you're more like them. It's sort of a social mechanism to make those around you comfortable with you. Many of us do it, especially if we have friends, or circles of friends and/or family with diverse social standings. Let's say your Mom's family is from rural Virginia (Galax or Floyd) and your Dad's family is from Manassas or NOVA... the accents and probably general social knowledge and etiquette will probably differ greatly. But, you, being exposed to both, will usually adopt a little of both and will exhibit one or the other, depending on which group you're around, or in, at the time. But, your true identity has a specific sound, too. It can change throughout your life, depending on what you're exposed to. Some people are really good at Code Switch, and they never wind up in Harrison's place. Some people, like Harrison, are just too ignorant, or just don't care, or just don't possess any diversity and basically speak one way, all the time. And, at that particular time, after what had JUST happened, he REALLY didn't care!

And, like it or not, he was there representing his school and his coach. I don't think I blame the University of Kentucky or Calipari for what was said. I blame his parents more! And, he is accountable by that age for himself, for his comments. But, if you're Calipari or someone affiliated with UK, you're probably very upset with him.

It was immature and stupid but he has always been sort of an immature guy. He didn't show that as much this year but still has some growing to do. I have no issues whatsoever with black people using the 'n' word however they wish. They completely have that right. It was just a classless thing to say there though. It is also the sort of thing that is said all the time by players everywhere. It was just dumb to even take the chance on saying it where anyone could here. Still, not that big of a deal in the long run.

Originally posted by gteeitup:

Originally posted by lovetheHeels!:
To me it was a bigger deal when half of them didn't shake hands after the game.
that's more where i am
Allow me to pick myself up off of the floor but….this is where I am also!!!!!

I think the Harrison boys are POS anyway so it was really no big surprise!

Big deal? Was it a big deal to Frank Kaminsky? If not, then no... Since last Sunday morning when this broke, I haven't followed this story at all (I saw Andrew's post concerning this story on Four Corners and commented on the media reaction that morning...), so I don't know Kaminsky's personal reaction to these comments ... ESPN eventually reported that Wisconsin spokes persons referred inquiries to Harrison's Tweets issued in apology.

Nevertheless, people shouldn't use Harrison's language as an excuse to use the same kind of language toward anyone. IMO, it is racist and offensive regardless of who uses it, whatever the circumstances, toward whomever it is directed... That being said, it won't effect my impression of Harrison... He's a gangsta POS, and his racist and offensive comments confirm that.

It would have been a big deal to me if a Carolina player said it. I hold our guys to a higher standard than I do players of any other team.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
How does it NOT reflect poorly on UK and Cal?
Because neither Cal nor UK said it. Harrison said it.

Like Raising said, personal accountability is dead. It's never an individual's fault anymore. It has to be a systemic fault, a generational fault, a racial tension fault, society's fault, a parent's fault, etc etc. Why can't we just attribute blame directly to the source: Harrison. It ain't UK's fault and it ain't Calipari's fault. You really think UK or Calipari are fostering a culture of "let's drop F bombs and racial slurs up on the podium" ? Lol.

As to your hypothetical about me publicly cursing and the effect it would have on my job. I feel that the same logic I used above, applies to this example too. I think it's really dumb that employers/companies are publicly pressured to fire employees when said employee says something dumb and it gets out to the public. I think it's yet another example of mindless America and mob mentality that we, collectively, aren't smart enough to say "You know what, it's not Bank of America [or insert any company] that's fostering some sort of secret sexist culture. This isn't their fault. It's just Billy Bob's fault for saying something really dumb that ended up going public." Instead, we -- again, the collective we -- become filled with PC-driven angst and phony outrage, and organize boycotts, and sit-ins, and hunger strikes of big bad EVIL Bank of America [again, insert company here] until they fire said employee. It's all just ridiculous. Now all that being said, if BoA proactively, and on their own accord, CHOOSE to fire said employee, I have zero problem with it. It's the public pressure and manufactured phony outrage against the company, not the individual, that irks me.

Personal accountability is dead. If you use a gun to murder someone, it's the gun manufacturer's fault. If you are white and get assaulted or killed by a minority, it's the fault of your racist grandparent's past actions before you were born. And on and on and on and on.
I agree with your views on political correctness and I believe in personal accountability. But you're way off. Neither of those have anything to do with this situation.

Harrison was wearing a UK jersey and was being asked questions BECAUSE he represents the school by playing ball. The media would have no reason to ask him any questions if he was not a UK basketball player. Basically anything he does during his 1,2 or 4 years of school is a direct reflection on the school. He is on scholarship. That's basically the school saying, "we like you so much that we're willing to eat the cost of your education so that you can represent us by playing basketball." That's what a scholarship is.

As far as the scenario with your job, what kind of world do you live in? It's not about PC. It's about public perception. You dropping the F-bomb and a racial slur in an interview while you're wearing your work uniform is basically telling the audience that people that work for Company X think like this. Obviously, that's not the case. Not everyone thinks like that. But that's irrelevant. In that setting, you were representing Company X and you made them look bad. Company X may suffer financially because of it. Firing you would be completely justified.

The gun analogy is terrible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT