ADVERTISEMENT

Very quick stuff (UVA game - ACCT)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and I won't belabor this.

First, to be fair, we had to play 2 outta 3 games with UVA effectively without Mando... and fact is. this UVA team doesn't match up well with us, and I have no qualms saying that with Bacot, we take the hat trick this season. Alas, we can't have nice things.

So..... if yer gonna beat these guys sans Mando, then you CAN'T help them, e.g....

- you CAN'T dribble side-to-side. I've explained it multiple times --- it's about GEOMETRY. The Pack Line is like a Japanese fan designed to expand to the wings -- but it is vulnerable to early shot-clock attacks, and you can't be afraid to take the ops for shots, drives and dumps, BUT you MUST attack it at VERTICAL angles. You saw what happened when we rolled Pete instead of popping, for example. With that said, once again, Lordy, we're a poor passing/vision team. I bet we messed 7 open vertical dumps in the first half alone (my kingdom for a legit PG and a good-passing Big).

- you also CAN'T keep missing good open looks

- and when you finally start getting them (granted, overdue by a full half), you CAN'T be missing FTs like that (which alone would've spotted us a late lead)

- and you CAN'T be loose with the rock playing a team that literally fouls you multiple times on every possession

Well, sum total --- we did all that. So... there ya have it.

Finally..... Not gonna pull any punches --- If we were living in a sane world, there would be little worry we would nonetheless be in the Dance --- it would just be a matter of where and how bad the seed. We won 20 and had a winning record in the friggin' ACC --- Case. Closed. Period. But... unfortunately we're in a world of mathematically unsound, self-justfying invented nonsense like "Net" and "Quads" --- even without my math degree I'd laugh at that garbage --- which thus allows jabronie hacks like Lunardi and legions of Carolina-hating loudmouths out there to push their thinly-veiled agendas. And chances are, that'll have their desired effect and we get left out.

Anyway... there's nonetheless little doubt that we brought our current dilemma on ourselves, so it is what it is at this point --- and personally, I'm not gonna think about it anymore til Sunday. So, welp..... L8er...

The issue isn’t what is on the court. The issue is the man wandering on the sidelines in front of the bench. Hubert is easily one of the worst coaches in the league. Yea, Hubert…….let’s dribble around for 20 seconds and try another high ball screen.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
The issue isn’t what is on the court. The issue is the man wandering on the sidelines in front of the bench. Hubert is easily one of the worst coaches in the league. Yea, Hubert…….let’s dribble around for 20 seconds and try another high ball screen.
Oh, good grief. You really have no idea.

Really? What about those with as many or more who will get in at-large?
Don't think there's a single system, statistical or otherwise, that has UNC in the tournament (or tournament quality at this point). The ACC stinks this year, and we'll deservedly miss the tourney, as we weren't very good either.

Reactions: tarheel0910
As typical, you make a smart ass commitment to avoid discussion!

It must be a sorry life to go through everyday just hating everyone that doesn't agree with you!
If your exclamation point key on your keyboard ever broke, well Lordy... you'd just have a little hissy-fit, wouldn't you?

They must have the refs from all our game seeding all the teams in the tournament!
That damn biased ESPN!!! Even though ESPN’s president was John Skipper who’s a proud UNC grad (before he got extorted by a coke dealer).

That damn anti-UNC something or another, who has nothing to do to us just sucking this season!!!

That damn biased ESPN!!! Even though ESPN’s president was John Skipper who’s a proud UNC grad (before he got extorted by a coke dealer).

That damn anti-UNC something or another, who has nothing to do to us just sucking this season!!!
Stop that using those exclamation points.

When their shots don't fall... early... they play like crap, more times than not. UVA knows how to play UNC defensively.

UNC does NOT deserve a NCAA tourney bid at all. They've lost 6 of their last 9 games, or close to that. They're just not a good team. They have ONE Quad-1 win. They barely deserve an NIT bid.
5-4 in the last nine. Agreed not up to our standards, but they have Rutgers in with 19 wins and a 10-10 conference record. TCU has 10 losses. Creighton has 11 losses and is in the top 25. Why the hate on the ACC by the so called “experts “? 20 wins and a winning conference record for us should be enough- it’s good enough for other at larges with similar records in arguably weaker conferences.

Too many missed open jumpers. Shots were there and guys didn’t make them. I get the dribbling for 20 seconds and hoping that someone can beat their man off the dribble is tough to watch at times, but you HAVE to make an open jump shot. Outside of Davis, that just didn’t happen consistently enough all year.

Reactions: strummingram
5-4 in the last nine. Agreed not up to our standards, but they have Rutgers in with 19 wins and a 10-10 conference record. TCU has 10 losses. Creighton has 11 losses and is in the top 25. Why the hate on the ACC by the so called “experts “? 20 wins and a winning conference record for us should be enough- it’s good enough for other at larges with similar records in arguably weaker conferences.
Who did we beat that had a pulse outside of UVa at home? Who did we beat on the road?

This team talked about 'redemption" and "running it back" but they never played with a real hunger. From the first game they played as if they were satisfied with last season's success. Ironically their season was kind of like k's farewell tour, they expected other teams to kiss the ring and get out of the way. It is easy to be the hunter but to be the hunted you need a united locker room, strong leadership and a drive to stay on top of the mountain.

I am ready for these core to leave and get back to seeing real Carolina basketball. I want to see a team that gives everything they have every game, every possession. "Play smart, play hard and play together" - used to happen without being said, this team has missed on all 3.

This group talked about 'redemption" and "running it back" but they never played with a real hunger. From the first game they played as if they were satisfied with last season's success. Ironically their season was kind of like k's farewell tour, they expected other teams to kiss the ring and get out of the way. It is easy to be the hunter but to be the hunted you need a united locker room, strong leadership and a drive to stay on top of the mountain.

I am ready for these core to leave and get back to seeing real Carolina basketball. I want to see a team that gives everything they have every game, every possession. "Play smart, play hard and play together" - used to happen without being said, this group has missed on all 3.
fify, and I agree 100%

Reactions: Heelicious
Unless you're talking about the Sunbelt, I don't think it's really arguable that the ACC is worse. This was no doubt a bad year for the league if you're looking at things objectively.

How many times did UVA get wide open layups in the paint? Their points in the paint against us were ridiculous. Our defense SUCKS! Hubert is too nice of a guy to change anything, especially the coaching staff. Going to be a loooooong season again next year.

Who did we beat that had a pulse outside of UVa at home? Who did we beat on the road?
To your point you are correct- I’d say what helps is wins against Ohiost, Michigan, and loss to Alabama was triple ot. I know technically not road games but something anyway. I know I’m grasping but I like us over TCU, Rutgers, and Creighton.

Unless you're talking about the Sunbelt, I don't think it's really arguable that the ACC is worse. This was no doubt a bad year for the league if you're looking at things objectively.
I try to be objective, and I’m not sure of the metrics that go into it but I think our conference is somewhere near the top?

How many times did UVA get wide open layups in the paint? Their points in the paint against us were ridiculous. Our defense SUCKS! Hubert is too nice of a guy to change anything, especially the coaching staff. Going to be a loooooong season again next year.
This. Even in our horrendous shooting yesterday except for RJ, we had a chance to win if we gave anything more than zero resistance on defense. So many plays last night, and all year where our defense was two steps late, caught behind a screen, nowhere to be found. Like the other team was running a virtual layup drill or 5 on zero drill. That has got to change.

If we are limited on offense or even average on offense, we've got to find a coach somewhere to put on the bench to teach defense so we don't consistently give up say 60-70% shooting halves to the opponents, with us getting totally owned in the paint points (uncontested dunks and layups). That never used to happen with past Heels teams like it did this year in most games.

This. Even in our horrendous shooting yesterday except for RJ, we had a chance to win if we gave anything more than zero resistance on defense. So many plays last night, and all year where our defense was two steps late, caught behind a screen, nowhere to be found. Like the other team was running a virtual layup drill or 5 on zero drill. That has got to change.

If we are limited on offense or even average on offense, we've got to find a coach somewhere to put on the bench to teach defense so we don't consistently give up say 60-70% shooting halves to the opponents, with us getting totally owned in the paint points (uncontested dunks and layups). That never used to happen with past Heels teams like it did this year in most games.
As bad as Love is on offense sometimes, his defensive play is even worse! He loses his man over and over. He gets beat off the dribble. Jumps at shot fakes etc. A lot of it is effort and some of it is basketball IQ…it’s time for him to move on 🤞🏻

I try to be objective, and I’m not sure of the metrics that go into it but I think our conference is somewhere near the top?
I'm sure there are tons out there but KenPom is one that's been around for quite a while. You have to pay for a lot of the features but taking a look at his team ratings (free), Duke is the best ACC team at 26.

Take with a grain of salt because these numbers say the B12 is historically great.

Teams above Duke:
7 B12
5 SEC
4 BE
2 each MVC WCC P12 B10

Worst team rating in each conf

B12 - 61 !?!?
B10 - 216
SEC - 218
WCC - 222
BE - 225
P12 - 265
ACC - 294
MVC - 352

I'm sure there are tons out there but KenPom is one that's been around for quite a while. You have to pay for a lot of the features but taking a look at his team ratings (free), Duke is the best ACC team at 26.

Take with a grain of salt because these numbers say the B12 is historically great.

Teams above Duke:
7 B12
5 SEC
4 BE
2 each MVC WCC P12 B10

B12 - 61 !?!?
B10 - 216
SEC - 218
WCC - 222
BE - 225
P12 - 265
ACC - 294
MVC - 352
Thanks

One could say he IS the worst coach in the league based on this season.

I get what you’re saying- I might be stuck in the early 2000’s but I still think we have done enough.
IDK. Maybe. I just dont have the time/energy/desire to actually look at 64+ teams to see if UNC has done enough, especially since my opinion means squat on Sunday. If they keep playing NCAA/NIT I'll watch, if not I'll see them next year.

Reactions: gkss

Teams above Duke:
7 B12
5 SEC
4 BE
2 each MVC WCC P12 B10

B12 - 61 !?!?
B10 - 216
SEC - 218
WCC - 222
BE - 225
P12 - 265
ACC - 294
MVC - 352
Thanks for the reply

Really? What about those with as many or more who will get in at-large?
Explain without using geometry or Japanese fans…why should UNC get in before Clemson? Not only are they still playing but they have 6 wins vs teams that will get into the tournament while UNC only has 3…one of which is College of Charleston who wouldn’t even be in if they hadn’t won their tournament.

Reactions: Archer2
Explain without using geometry or Japanese fans…why should UNC get in before Clemson? Not only are they still playing but they have 6 wins vs teams that will get into the tournament while UNC only has 3…one of which is College of Charleston who wouldn’t even be in if they hadn’t won their tournament.
He can't explain it he speak on emotions depending on who ask him questions.

I would ask why Rutgers, TCU, or Creighton get in before UNC?

Come on now guys, I am a UNC HOMER and PROUD OF IT !!! But even I can admit, we didn't do enough, we simply didn't do enough to make it to the big dance. We had op after op, blew them all and I am not gonna now act like a spoiled biatich because we are on the outside looking in.

And this whole bit about do we or do we not play in the NIT? WHAT, are we to good to play in the NIT, considering that this team was NOT good enough to play in the NCAAT, we should play in the tourney we were good enough to play in, the NIT. Like it or not, the NIT for this team IS OUR LEVEL... The woulda coulda shouldas is now for another day, for another team, for another season.

With Mando extremely limited mobility in the end it still ended like most of our games. Down to the wire, can't finish.

With very limited scoring options without a useful Mando, Caleb was very bad at scoring, but was surprisingly good as the penetrate and kick creater. RJ shot well ( huge with our horrid 3 shooting), but struggled creating for others and handlingthe ball, yet it was still right there and RJ & Caleb split 4 free throws and Puff misses a totally uncontested wing three in the waning minutes.

This team never could finish. Whether with a lead or with the door open and uncontested looks to barge through it. 1-9 in quad 1 and all there to be had in winning time, 1 and 9!!!! Ya, gotta make some you would think.

Awful year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT