ADVERTISEMENT

We plan to hit Maye hard

“We’re going to hit (Maye) hard just like we hit Malik (Louisville’s Cunningham) and, if he doesn’t get up, that’s not our problem...." in the 56 years i've been a die-hard carolina fan, i'm proud to say no team of ours that i'm aware of ever had a game plan of injuring the opposing quarterback. i would be ashamed to be a pitt fan.

“We’re going to hit (Maye) hard just like we hit Malik (Louisville’s Cunningham) and, if he doesn’t get up, that’s not our problem...." in the 56 years i've been a die-hard carolina fan, i'm proud to say no team of ours that i'm aware of ever had a game plan of injuring the opposing quarterback. i would be ashamed to be a pitt fan.
You know the players say this among themselves, but making it bulletin board material is stupid. Karma bit them in the arse.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I don't have a problem with it. It's football; you're supposed to hit 'em hard. I don't see where anyone said they were looking to injure somebody, although you could take the 'not getting up' thing that way. I take it as needing a few seconds to let the stars go away before getting back up. A player would be a fool to imply he was looking to injure someone in this day and age.

That being said, I hope Drake takes it as a warning to be a little more careful. Stuff happens.

I'd like to have a count of how many times similar statements have been made openly and honestly throughout the history of football. Thousands. I hope we develop the same attitude, which we used to have under Mack.1.

Just to clarify, I do not want to see anybody injured.

It was mostly Pitt players who were laying on the ground after the whistle in the 4th quarter. I don't know how many of them were legitimate injuries though. This happens every time the UNC offense gets going and the opposing defense needs a break.

It was mostly Pitt players who were laying on the ground after the whistle in the 4th quarter. I don't know how many of them were legitimate injuries though. This happens every time the UNC offense gets going and the opposing defense needs a break.
Common across football now. It is partly the soccer influence. I think they need to make any player who comes out of the game for an alleged injury that stops the clock sit for 3 plays not 1. That will mean that openly weaker players would risk faking because they might hurt their team too much being out 3 plays.

Reactions: DonBrown
Common across football now. It is partly the soccer influence. I think they need to make any player who comes out of the game for an alleged injury that stops the clock sit for 3 plays not 1. That will mean that openly weaker players would risk faking because they might hurt their team too much being out 3 plays.
Great idea.

I remember Wake doing this on what seems like every play in the last part of the 4Q the first time Larry took the team up to Winston -- to keep the D from getting winded from the hurry-up offense. So rather than 3 TOs, pull this stunt and your TOs are basically unlimited. A "sit out 3 plays" rule might help. Of course, I could see Ds then getting cute and subbing in a scrub for one play to fake an injury..... But still, that's easier said than done.

I agree with you. I’m sick of players who fake an injury only to be running like a deer the very next play after sitting out their required one play. We claim we care so much about safety with targeting safeguards and concussion protocols yet let a player who is supposedly suffering an injury to return to play immediately. This is similar to a basketball flop and should have consequences. If a player stops the clock then he should be evaluated under the tent and be made to miss a minimum of 3 plays or why not the entire possession. This would eliminate these stupid attempts to buy time without using timeouts

Great idea.

I remember Wake doing this on what seems like every play in the last part of the 4Q the first time Larry took the team up to Winston -- to keep the D from getting winded from the hurry-up offense. So rather than 3 TOs, pull this stunt and your TOs are basically unlimited. A "sit out 3 plays" rule might help. Of course, I could see Ds then getting cute and subbing in a scrub for one play to fake an injury..... But still, that's easier said than done.
There will always be a way for teams to 'cheat' the rules. So it is a matter of accepting reality and having rules to make it difficult, risky to cheat. The 1 play rule does not work. And if a scrub is sent in for 1 play to fake, his presence that 1 play could cost his team a big deal.

Reactions: DonBrown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT