ADVERTISEMENT

What do you think Theo has to improve on in the off season.

shooting and ability to score off the dribble. I think those are obvious. for us to be successful this year, we need Theo healthy and we need to see a super dose of Theo stuff on the defensive end, on the boards, and in the effort plays. He's a big X factor for us this season. If he has a great year, we have a great year.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Along with improving his shot he needs to work on shot selection. In any case he is one of my favorite Heels to watch.

Normally I would stay go to the gym and shoot as many shots as you can on a daily basis sort of like what JJ did last summer. In Theo's case I wonder if he needs to fundamentally change his shot mechanics with the help of a coach that can remake it completely. (calling Hubert??) I doubt his shooting percentages will go up with his motion. He is so valuable in other facets of the game that he will be a key to next year regardless.

Theo drifts on his shot. If you look at his body, he never goes straight up. He leans back and his body looks like a backslash when he releases. If he could just get that under control, I think his shot would be more consistent. Just my humble observation.

What most of us said last year was

1. Better shooting motion
2. Better handle
3. Better focus on D

When he finally hit the court and was playing starter minutes, he seemed to have improved on ALL of those. Maybe not enough but, hey, he was coming off injury.

Unfortunately the old shooting motion returned. But he held onto modest improvements in the other 2.

So I'd say the list is still the same for his final season. But with even more emphasis on shooting this time.

If we play small ball, he's our PJ, Cam is our Reggie.

Theo needs to follow the Justin plan to become a consistent shooter.

Actually, Theo's handle is pretty good. His main problem is with the routine pass. His "serious" passes are crisp and accurate. His dribbling is fine. But his routine passes can be lazy or telegraphed.

His all around game improved as he got healthy. I see no reason why it won't continue to do so next year. I'm afraid that much like Strickland, Theo's form on his jumper just won't allow him to shoot a high percentage. So he should concentrate on taking the ball to the hole. The ability of Joel/CJ/Luke to make treys should open up the defense a little more as teams won't have to help down on our bigs as much.

Actually, Theo's handle is pretty good. His main problem is with the routine pass. His "serious" passes are crisp and accurate. His dribbling is fine. But his routine passes can be lazy or telegraphed.

Theo's handle is super loose. He's a very good athlete and yet he struggles to beat anyone off the dribble.

I'm going to say shooting.
I see a lot of people saying shooting as their answer, but how much can he really improve in that area? I have been watching Carolina basketball for many years and the only player I can vividly remember improving astronomically from first 3 years level to take Senior year to another level was Ademola Okalaja. He was a low 30's 3 or shooter for 3 years and then shot over 40 % I believe as a Senior. That my friends is very rare!
I would like Theo to improve his SHOT SELECTION, and his ball handling. If he does this he has a better chance to score at the rim and the line ( Where he has improved greatly) Footwork on offense needs to improve also so he can use his quickness to score more in the post.

Love Theo, but if he wants to play 25+ minutes per game for UNC and play in the NBA, he must improve his shooting mechanics, his 2- and 3-point shooting percentages, his free throw percentage and ball handling. These are his glaring weaknesses, and why he was not invited to the NBA Draft Combine. If he doesn't improve in these areas, I still maintain the minority position on this forum that he should not and will not start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT