ADVERTISEMENT

What's Going On With The Competition?

Can't see the NCAA allowing sports..will every student on every campus be tested?...too messy if you test negative for weeks and then positive...adjusting schedules. Changing travel accomodations...California is in another world..what a mess!...I hope to be pleasantly surprised

This is sort of off topic, but I can think of several reasons why it might be best to expose Student Athletes to covid-19 now, rather than waiting and letting it happen naturally.

1) The risk is very, very small for 18-22 year olds with good cardiovascular health.

2) By exposing them now, you create a localized herd immunity that could protect the more vulnerable populations that interface with them. You could potentially save Mack's or Roy's life by ensuring that that are interacting with a population that cannot have the virus

3) The virus is endemic. They will likely contract the virus eventually, regardless of what happens. What better time/place than now, when they can receive all of the benefits of the university's attention.

I'm curious about people's thoughts on this. Because from several perspectives, this might actually be the most ethical thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSouthr
can’t believe Calamari has his show on DSPN called Coffee with Cal interviewing celebrity. dude is trying to regain status after slippage in the recruiting trail. He realizes his weaknesses as a coach.

Reactions: DeuceManJones
can’t believe Calamari has his show on DSPN called Coffee with Cal interviewing celebrity. dude is trying to regain status after slippage in the recruiting trail. He realizes his weaknesses as a coach.
Slippage is a relative term. They are #1 or #2 each of the past 3 years in recruiting class.

Last edited:
1. They use DEAD virus in vaccines. And even that can cause complications with some peeps and sometimes they are life threatening!
2. Nobody can predict how peeps will respond to this particular virus, which the director of the CDC just called the most dangerous medical issue the US has ever faced!
3. If someone dies based on the virus party scenario or the "they are young and healthy" so their symptoms will be mild idea-who pays the financial and moral cost?
4. Does anyone know if even one of these athletes has an underlying condition like, diabetes, enlarged heart, genetic predispositions, hypertension, damage to internal systems/organs based on steroid or other illicit drug use???

When will peeps stop downplaying this freakin' virus and wake up!

Sports are NOT worth even one life! (BTW: the freakin' economy isn't either!)

I've said it before and had my honesty questioned. I'll say it again!

We should remain in lock-down until we can ensure we can protect people's lives not just their livelihood!

If we want to open up faster, peeps should simply wear masks instead of adopting an idiotic stance that it somehow infringes on personal freedom!

Instead of rushing to open up the economy for dubious reasons, we should rally together and help each other survive economically!

We have demonstrated as a country that we can survive a depression, but we are swiftly demonstrating hundreds of thousands cannot survive Covid-19!

Enough ranting, I'll go back to bball!

I like the Nike commercial Cade filmed AND I love the message!

This is sort of off topic, but I can think of several reasons why it might be best to expose Student Athletes to covid-19 now, rather than waiting and letting it happen naturally.

1) The risk is very, very small for 18-22 year olds with good cardiovascular health.

2) By exposing them now, you create a localized herd immunity that could protect the more vulnerable populations that interface with them. You could potentially save Mack's or Roy's life by ensuring that that are interacting with a population that cannot have the virus

3) The virus is endemic. They will likely contract the virus eventually, regardless of what happens. What better time/place than now, when they can receive all of the benefits of the university's attention.

I'm curious about people's thoughts on this. Because from several perspectives, this might actually be the most ethical thing to do.

I personally feel that this will not end well. As long as there is no vaccine, you can have all types of situations. I'm convinced that the NCAA has to come up with rules on how this will be handled during the season, provided there is a season. For example, all players must be tested before every game and 2-3 times a week. If a player test positive, he is held out for 2 weeks. UNC players could all test negative and the team they play infects the UNC players. I would prefer that no games be forfeited, but postponed and played later. I can't even imagine how you would handle in the NCAA tournament.

There is no perfect scenario. That's one of the reasons I just can't get excited about the upcoming season. For example, debating the starting line-up is useless in my opinion. Your entire first team my miss the first several games due to COVID when they tested positive the day of the first game.

Reactions: UNC&ME
1. They use DEAD virus in vaccines. And even that can cause complications with some peeps and sometimes they are life threatening!
2. Nobody can predict how peeps will respond to this particular virus, which the director of the CDC just called the most dangerous medical issue the US has ever faced!
3. If someone dies based on the virus party scenario or the "they are young and healthy" so their symptoms will be mild idea-who pays the financial and moral cost?
4. Does anyone know if even one of these athletes has an underlying condition like, diabetes, enlarged heart, genetic predispositions, hypertension, damage to internal systems/organs based on steroid or other illicit drug use???

When will peeps stop downplaying this freakin' virus and wake up!

Sports are NOT worth even one life! (BTW: the freakin' economy isn't either!)

The sad thing about this virus is that it controls us.

Clemson has 23 football staff/players with COVID. It's a helpless situation. I just can't get excited about the season. Just can't.

I'm expecting the worse.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I've said it before and had my honesty questioned. I'll say it again!

We should remain in lock-down until we can ensure we can protect people's lives not just their livelihood!

If we want to open up faster, peeps should simply wear masks instead of adopting an idiotic stance that it somehow infringes on personal freedom!
No argument from me

I can understand the sentiment, but you're expressing an aversion to risk that just isn't borne out by the realities of life in modern society.

Participating in life, in sports, in our economic system, all entails some level of risk. It's risk we deem acceptable, but it is risk nonetheless.

My argument is that the level of risk (to student-athletes) added by Covid-19 is not altogether different than many other activities they enthusiastically participate in. As such, their behavior should not change overmuch. We should be cautious, but within reason.

The sad thing about this virus is that it controls us.

Clemson has 23 football staff/players with COVID. It's a helpless situation. I just can't get excited about the season. Just can't.

I'm expecting the worse.

I agree, Steat. I’m worried.

I don’t want to bicker - because I love TPFK - but I don’t share the same hysterics when it comes to young, healthy, world-class athletes.

Having said that, the fact of the matter is we are hyper-aware of this viral threat. I don’t know how any sport can proceed under these guidelines.

I can’t grasp how the NBA can operate in their so-called “bubble,” let alone how 350 college basketball programs can contain the contagion when the Autumnal spike inevitably occurs.

Before that attempt, how does the NCAAF handle these protocols?

UNC-CH athletics may be able to handle the costs that accompany rigorous testing, but can UNC-G? I have serious doubts.

Bottom line: this is not simply a question of health & safety; the fiscal matters are vital.

Thanks for the love! (the world needs a bit more of that!) AND sorry for the "hysterics". BUT I really believe there is no way a University can take the moral and financial risk of exposing so many peeps to potential contagion simply for either money or entertainment.

I really want to play this season because my gut tells me we have the perfect mix for our mad scientists of a coach to get us to the promised land. I believe we can hand it to the pups, rats, and kits and scare the stink off of most others! I see UNC vaulting to the top of recruiting and bball and momentum building to re-install us in our rightful place.

BUT: I don't see much chance of us actually playing a single game until there is a viable and proven vaccination + an effective treatment for the infected!

Thanks for the love! (the world needs a bit more of that!) AND sorry for the "hysterics". BUT I really believe there is no way a University can take the moral and financial risk of exposing so many peeps to potential contagion simply for either money or entertainment.

I really want to play this season because my gut tells me we have the perfect mix for our mad scientists of a coach to get us to the promised land. I believe we can hand it to the pups, rats, and kits and scare the stink off of most others! I see UNC vaulting to the top of recruiting and bball and momentum building to re-install us in our rightful place.

BUT: I don't see much chance of us actually playing a single game until there is a viable and proven vaccination + an effective treatment for the infected!

Totally agree. And the vaccine will not be viable until next Spring - as a BEST CASE scenario.

Again, as the data bear out, the athletes are rarely in danger of suffering anything worse than flulike symptoms. But they can’t be playing a contact sport and then expose themselves to anyone of risk. Sadly, Roy fits that profile being over 60-years-old.

In the classroom, the average age of US professors is 55. That’s a hell of a lot of at-risk teachers. Roy can say he still wants to coach in this environment (and I would support his autonomous decision), but when the university is liable, I don’t see him winning that battle.

RW isn't the only one on that bench..imagine associate becoming I'll..hospitalized..hard to concentrate on lesser things

It is tough enough for the pro sports to play. These "amateur" extra curricular activities for students...lol, if played is a whole other level. They are going to have to make significant progress from where we stand now with the virus.

Evidently in Sweden, excess mortality for people under 65 is negative over the last few months. That is, the general effects of a lockdown (not going out and living life) are preventing more deaths than the coronavirus is causing.

Just another example of the extreme age discrimination going on with this virus.

I'm telling you, cultivating a high level of natural antibody resistance in the nation's youth would save lives. It's a shame no one can go on the record and admit it.

Reactions: keysersosay#1
Want the old normal yesterday, just read Elliott of Cowboys quoted ..I feel normal. But not ready for workout...at it's worst he said. Shortness of breath....huh!..elite athlete early 20s..just reminds us again...in the military we would say.."I don't wanna face the family and apologize for being unsafe & causing ur pain"...big time Admin must make big time choices

2020 College Basketball Transfer Portal: Biggest Winners & Losers

https://watchstadium.com/2020-college-basketball-transfer-portal-biggest-winners-losers-06-24-2020/

BIGGEST WINNERS

1) Minnesota – Richard Pitino and the Gophers added a couple of starters — as long as Liam Robbins (14.1 ppg, 7.1 rpg) and Both Gach wind up getting waivers from the NCAA to play this season (which should happen). The 7-foot Robbins, the nephew of Minnesota assistant Ed Conroy, is a major impact guy, as is Gach, who averaged 10.7 points last season for the Utah Utes. Gach should get the waiver because he transferred back closer to home.

2) Texas Tech – This one is almost an annual ritual now. A couple of seasons ago, Matt Mooney and Tariq Owens helped get the Red Raiders to the national title game. Last season, it was TJ Holyfield and Chris Clarke who came in and made plays. Chris Beard will now add Georgetown transfer Mac McClung (15.7 ppg) and Wichita State’s Jamarius Burton (10.3 ppg) — who could wind up getting waivers. The Red Raiders also added a key grad transfer on the frontline in hard-playing VCU forward Marcus Santos-Silva (12.8 ppg, 8.9 rpg).

3) Chris Mooney – Richmond’s head coach kept his trio of redshirt seniors — Blake Francis (17.7 ppg), Grant Golden (13.4 ppg, 6.9 rpg) and Nick Sherod (12.7 ppg, 5.4 rpg) — despite the fact that they could have all grad-transferred. Bring senior point guard Jacob Gilyard in the fold, and the Spiders are a top 20 preseason team.

4) Memphis – Penny Hardaway needed to reload, and the Tigers added a couple of impact transfers. He beat out plenty of high-majors for a pair of talented forwards: Virginia Tech transfer Landers Nolley II (15.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg) and Evansville’s DeAndre Williams (15.2 ppg, 6.9 rpg). The big question will be whether or not they can get a waiver to play this season.

5) Louisville – Chris Mack and his staff landed one of the big prizes of the transfer season in Radford grad transfer Carlik Jones. The Big South Player of the Year won’t put up the numbers he did a year ago (20.0 ppg, 5.5 apg, 5.1 rpg), but he should help give the Cardinals an experienced guard who can team with David Johnson. Louisville also added another guard who will help: San Francisco grad transfer Charles Minlend, who averaged 14.4 points per game last season in the WCC.

6) BYU – Mark Pope has landed a pair of impact grad transfers. First, he beat out Kentucky for Purdue big man Matt Haarms, who averaged 8.6 points, 4.6 boards and 2.0 blocks last season. And then he added former Oklahoma State and Utah Valley guard Brandon Averette, who averaged 12.8 points and 3.0 assists per game last season at Pope’s old stomping ground. They won’t replace graduating big man Yoeli Childs and Jake Toolson, but they will help ease the blow.

7) Ole Miss – The transfer of Blake Hinson (10.1 ppg) hurts, but Kermit Davis has brought in a couple of grad transfers who will make a major impact. Rider guard Dimencio Vaughn (14.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg) is a tough, hard-nosed and talented wing, and Arizona State big man Romello White nearly averaged a double-double last season in Tempe. The Rebels also added Samford forward Robert Allen (14.1 ppg, 7.0 rpg).

8) Gonzaga – The ‘Zags landed one of the best on the market in Florida transfer Andrew Nembhard (11.2 ppg, 5.6 apg). He’s a pass-first guy who will sit this season and take over in Spokane a year from now. Mark Few has had no shortage of success with transfers, and also with Canadians. The ‘Zags also added Southern Illinois grad transfer Aaron Cook, a scoring guard who averaged 15 points in six games this past season.

9) Kentucky – The swap of Johnny Juzang for Creighton grad transfer Davion Mintz may wind up being a wash at the end of the day, but the key is obviously Wake Forest big man Olivier Sarr — and whether he’ll be eligible to play this season in Lexington. The 7-foot Sarr averaged 13.7 points and 9.0 boards last season in Winston-Salem and is a game-changer for John Calipari if he gets a waiver to play this season.

10) Arkansas – The Razorbacks will bring in a talented freshman class, and Eric Musselman has added a trio of grad transfers who possess quality talent and experience. It started with the versatile Jalen Tate (13.9 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 3.6 apg) from Northern Kentucky, continued with former UConn and New Mexico forward Vance Jackson (11.1 ppg) and also includes ex-Indiana forward Justin Smith (10.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg).

11) Seton Hall – Kevin Willard lost three role guys (Anthony Nelson, Taurean Thompson and Darnell Brodie) and replaced them with a starter in former Harvard guard Bryce Aiken. He’s not Myles Powell, but Aiken can be a double-figure scorer in the Big East if he’s healthy. This was a huge pickup for the Pirates, especially with Aiken being able to play this season.

12) Marquette – The Golden Eagles landed two guys: talented former Ohio State guard D.J. Carton and Jose Perez, a 6-foot-5 guard who averaged 15.2 points per game this past season at Gardner-Webb. Carton is a big-time talent who was inconsistent as a freshman last season in Columbus.

271 Steat, A moment ago

I am convinced Clemson did this already.

Reactions: Steat
I am willing to bet a large amount of $$ that ALL those Clemson players will be fine in 2-3 weeks This virus can be deadly for elderly people and especially those with what St Fauci calls pre existing morbidities ...cancer, diabetes, heart disease asthma etc The recovery rate overall is 99.4% .Most folks need to calm down and not let the hysterical control freaks and manipulative Left wing totalitarians scare you into submission and locking you in your homes

I am willing to bet a large amount of $$ that ALL those Clemson players will be fine in 2-3 weeks This virus can be deadly for elderly people and especially those with what St Fauci calls pre existing morbidities ...cancer, diabetes, heart disease asthma etc The recovery rate overall is 99.4% .Most folks need to calm down and not let the hysterical control freaks and manipulative Left wing totalitarians scare you into submission and locking you in your homes
The kids surviving is not the issue with having a season though. Playing a extra curricular "amateur" athletic competition in college, with the downside spreading a virus that can and will shut down the health care system if allowed to spread is.

I forgot the Clemson middle linebackers will be fine, no problem carry on.

But yeah, you are right, it won't be fatal for almost all of the kids playin' ball.

Last edited:
Another player I love! Sallis is a clear alpha that doesn't need to wolf and pose after every little play. He breaks ankles, drops beautiful dimes, and even dunks in faces and then....goes back on D!

Put the full court press on this one, Roy!

Another player I love! Sallis is a clear alpha that doesn't need to wolf and pose after every little play. He breaks ankles, drops beautiful dimes, and even dunks in faces and then....goes back on D!

Put the full court press on this one, Roy!

Kap, it is my understanding that Roy is going hard for Salis. I hope Roy can close the deal. He is a special kid.

Whoa, Emoni Bates declares for Michigan State. If he ever actually plays a day in college. That kid is next next level !!!!!

If we don't play this season should we expect all the OAD types to go league and then we would have to fill the cupboard again?

It does seem odd that he would be willing to commit now when everyone knows the OAD will be ending soon. He is a Michigan kid so maybe he wants to go to MSU anyway.

It was assumed that 2022 would be the first class to have the eligibility go back to normal, but now that buck has been passed to 2024 / who knows when.

Bates’ situation was alluded to in the FBI findings. I don’t know if he has actual intentions of playing in college. If his family was looking for a preemptive payday, then the G-League would seem to be the way to go.

Whether Izzo has any inclination of him playing there or not, it still makes sense from a publicity standpoint. It could drive other recruits to MSU in the hopes of playing with Bates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT