ADVERTISEMENT

What's Going On With The Competition?

The NBA has had no respect for the college game for quite some time. The NCAA and college basketball coaches and fans need to understand that, which includes understanding that the NBA lacks the decency of MLB and so will need encouragement to avoid things that needlessly hurt college basketball.

While I'm not a fan of the current NBA, I don't think Adam Silver or anyone in his office is deliberately trying to hurt college basketball. They saw an opportunity to provide an alternative route to the NBA for high school players, and they took it. For years, Emmert has stubbornly stood by his "student-athlete" model, while anyone who has followed college sports has known that it's become to big to continue without significant changes. It was inevitable that someone smarter than Emmert (and that list is long) would step in and guide the change process for him. And that's exactly what happened.

I don't have a problem with players choosing the G League route. If they truly have no interest in the "college" experience and are only focused on basketball, then let them follow their dreams while getting paid doing it. The NBA was even smart to include a scholarship for kids who enter the G league, but then decide to go to school later.

College basketball will certainly lose some star power. But in terms of the quality of the major programs, I don't see a decline. In fact, I think teams could improve if they aren't having to completely turn over rosters year after year.

Interesting link. Click on graphic to enlarge.

https://visual.ly/community/Infographics/sports/ncaa-march-madness-vs-nba-playoffs

ncaa-march-madness-vs-nba-playoffs_5331c2faf3053_w1500.jpg

Going to be a fight if UNC goes outside the "Family" for a coach to replace Roy?

Couldn't happen to a more deserving fan base! (kentuck and puke are = deserving!) BUT I hate it for Keatts! He seems to be a good man and a good coach who is slowly sinking into that cesspool in Raleih!

ARIZONA!!!! Please proceed to Arizona. Other than Dook and Kensucky, Arizona has become my most despised basketball program, largely in part because of the number of kids they bought out from under us.

Last edited:
Totally sux for Wake fans, but the kid is allowed to make decisions about his own life. I wish him well and I hope he and his family did it for the right reasons. In any case, this is exactly what Kentuck needed and they found a way to make it happen. (past history makes it seem a bit questionable unfortunately) This could change things for them tremendously since I believe this kid is much better than he has demonstrated so far.

I would be thrilled with each Coastal Division game being played to crown a Coastal Champion. Any games played in addition to those six would be gravy.

I could tell from all the copy cats and piggy backing!
Movie about '98 final game
After the Last Dance discussion show
9 part Documentary on TB12
Every person who ever met Black Jesus being interviewed

GOAT & GDTBATH!

Reactions: Steat
Totally sux for Wake fans, but the kid is allowed to make decisions about his own life. I wish him well and I hope he and his family did it for the right reasons. In any case, this is exactly what Kentuck needed and they found a way to make it happen. (past history makes it seem a bit questionable unfortunately) This could change things for them tremendously since I believe this kid is much better than he has demonstrated so far.
He's going top UK - UK boosters would offer tens of thousands of right reasons just to sign.

True. I can still hope the kid
and his family have integrity! I'm not delusional enough to think Kentuck has any !

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
NewZion Williamson files for protective order from demand he admit receiving illegal benefits at Duke

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/zion-w...iving-illegal-benefits-at-duke-033222829.html
If Zion did nothing wrong, if he was not paid to play at duke then common sense dictates that he would say as such on the official record and put an end to this suite. Why continue on with the legal fees and risk having at best to settle a $100,000,000 law suite for any percent above zero?

But oh, if you did cheat then you do not risk perjury and Zion knows what he did and didn't do. His running away from making the requested statements is to me solid proof that he was paid to play for the dukies.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and Steat
If Zion did nothing wrong, if he was not paid to play at duke then common sense dictates that he would say as such on the official record and put an end to this suit.

But oh, if you did cheat then you do not risk perjury and Zion knows what he did and didn't do. His running away from making the requested statements is to me solid proof that he was paid to play for the dukies.
I agree David. If I were innocent of any wrongdoings, I would certainly want to make a statement to that effect and defend my integrity. There is no down side to cooperating if he and his parents are innocent.

If, on the other hand, either I or my parents accepted illegal benefits, I would decline to cooperate and refuse to answer any questions.

Regardless, he’s filthy rich and doesn’t have to cooperate. I guess my integrity means more to me than his does to him.

Reactions: DSouthr
At this point I am sure that Zion's advisors are far more concerned with protecting his brand than anyone's integrity! Peeps that get paid large sums to protect Big Z will not take such a huge chance putting their charge on the stand where his inexperience could lead to him saying things under pressure that could impact his future earning potential! Protecting puke is simply a collateral effect as they seek to insulate Z from his obvious ethical missteps!

While I'm not a fan of the current NBA, I don't think Adam Silver or anyone in his office is deliberately trying to hurt college basketball. They saw an opportunity to provide an alternative route to the NBA for high school players, and they took it. For years, Emmert has stubbornly stood by his "student-athlete" model, while anyone who has followed college sports has known that it's become to big to continue without significant changes. It was inevitable that someone smarter than Emmert (and that list is long) would step in and guide the change process for him. And that's exactly what happened.

I don't have a problem with players choosing the G League route. If they truly have no interest in the "college" experience and are only focused on basketball, then let them follow their dreams while getting paid doing it. The NBA was even smart to include a scholarship for kids who enter the G league, but then decide to go to school later.

College basketball will certainly lose some star power. But in terms of the quality of the major programs, I don't see a decline. In fact, I think teams could improve if they aren't having to completely turn over rosters year after year.

MW, I may hesitate to say that the NBA goes out of its way to harm the college game but I can easy sign on for the NBA not doing much of anything to respect or care if their actions do harm the college game. I do believe the NBA believes they are the only level of basketball folks should be concerned with and in the process cares very little how their actions effect the NCAA game.

With their seasons over lapping, hard not to consider the NBA to some degree looking at the college game as some level of competition as opposed to being the free development league the NCAA always used to be seen as. The NBA and the NCAA used to do things more as a partnership, I see no indication that is any longer the case.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I agree David. If I were innocent of any wrongdoings, I would certainly want to make a statement to that effect and defend my integrity. There is no down side to cooperating if he and his parents are innocent.

If, on the other hand, either I or my parents accepted illegal benefits, I would decline to cooperate and refuse to answer any questions.

Regardless, he’s filthy rich and doesn’t have to cooperate. I guess my integrity means more to me than his does to him.

Yes, Zion is rich today but how rich would be my question? He is in the 1st year of his rook contract, yeah big time pay from endorsement deals but how much of that was up front money? He will be mega rich in time but how easy could he shell out $10million today? How much real after tax cash does Zion have today that would allow him to eat a $10, 20, 50 million settlement? I suspect even a $10million settlement and paying his attorney fees associated with this would be very hard for him to do this early in his career.

Would his paying out $10million today result in his being on a street corner with a card board sign, will ball for food? LOL I don't know the kid can afford even a 10% settlement right now and if push comes to shove hard to believe he would pay that much out.

Zion knows what evidence exists that brings his time at duke in to real question, if no evidence did exist then he could maybe consider telling a lie under oath if he really didn't believe those asking have proof in hand. The fact he has not agreed to testify under oath screams he knows those asking the questions already not only know the real truth but have proof of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT