ADVERTISEMENT

Why Cormac Ryan is so important to this years team…

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
We pretty much know that Davis, Bacot and Ingram will average double digits in points in every game this season and Cadeau probably will also by the first of the year but a additional proven shooter and scorer will make all of the difference in the world…

Last season with neither Nance, Black or Johnson being able to score from the wings on a regular basis Bacot was often double and triple teamed because opponents could but now that both Ryan and Ingram already proving they can hit corner and wing shots Bacot will not have to fight so much to get open in the paint.

If Ryan can deliver 10 points a contest I truly believe Carolina can put five players on the court that can score in double digits. And there will be games where WIthers and Washington will get into double digits…

Ryan being a upperclassman will definitely with the surrounding pieces to help have a great opportunity to lead by example…

It is amazing the difference that having a few perimeter threats can have on our O! Add this to the fact that we increased our leadership and added some vocal leaders (I believe both RJ and Bacot are naturally the lead by example types) and we have great foundations to build upon! Hubs proved an elite recruiter because he got exactly what the team needed at every position! He is proving to be willing to learn from the past as well since he clearly has changed both the play on the court and his bench usage. Ryan may well be the X factor in crunch time and I would add his toughness is also part of the equation.

Reactions: Heels5150
This teams dynamics will change bigly with EC starting and I'm not a big fan of Ryan so far, to each their own.

We'll see. Bacot was doubled like mad by UCR and we didn't make them pay. If Ingram is a 32% 3-pt shooter (and that's his career average in college) he's not scaring anybody out there. Ryan has been better historically, but he needs to start hitting some shots. Withers has yet to even attempt a three at Carolina, and Cadeau seems scared to shoot right now, so I'm actually a bit concerned about our spacing.

Spacing was fine and we created wide open looks. Keep in mind that the best 3 pt shooters still miss 62% of the time! Guys missed shots I expect them to make later but it really didn't matter because we are still scoring a ton of points! Nobody expected this team to be clicking out of the gate since no teams with this many new peeps ever do! EC has to figure out how to fit into what this team needs and his makeup + history tells me he will very quickly! For some reason peeps believe we cannot win low scoring grinders, but I see a versatile team that is tough enough to win all types of games! So many pieces can be shaped to fit every possible hole!

WoW, let me apologize for saying this AGAIN, what I am looking for is QUALITY of the shots even more so than the makes. That may seem odd at first but bad shots do at times go in, it going in does not make it a good shot. When a guy like Caleb has one of those bad shots drop he keeps on taking them, you and I watched that all last season, the season before, and the season before that. Bad shots go in at a much lower % than a clean look. If this team can manufacture good clean looks from guys comfortable shooting it from the outside (that means guys not like Leaky or Seth were for us last season who were timid taking an outside shot).

Let me say this CLEARLY, I LIKE the quality of the shots we have taken so far this season, I do need to see if that shot quality can remain really good against much better competition than we have faced so far, especially come league play.

WE are missing a lot of really good shots right now, have seen Pax have time to line up his shot un-hurried and miss several so far this season, including the pre-season, and yet I want him to keep putting them up, they are good shots. I have seen RJ in each of the last 2 games put up deep corner treys with a hand in his face and they went in and I did not like the shot at all (of course I loved the result). Any coach will tell you, best you can ask for is to have your team taking clean comfortable shots with in that specific shooter's comfort zone and have his team limit the clean looks the other teams gets, that is winning basketball!

Speaking of shooting, one of our best shooters seems to have the yips right now, Ryan. He was 0-6 last game and some of his misses are not close, not typical for a good shooter. I have noticed, he is coming off screens hard to get his looks many times and he is not getting his solid base under him so that he can pop straight up, he is floating off jumpers, he is trying to correct the shot in mid air with what I call the basketball version of Kentucky windage. He needs to get back to having his feet under him squared before the shot and he should be fine. It is an indicator that he is playing a touch to fast, as Ty Lawson had to learn, don't play faster than what you can control (recall the slow down to play faster line from Roy). Ryan is a really emotional player and guys that play on their emotions like that can be susceptible to getting in to their own heads at times and some of that may be going on as well with Cadeau may be going thru some of that now, similar to Seth late last season (Ellington and Marcus went thru similar things you should recall).

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
We'll see. Bacot was doubled like mad by UCR and we didn't make them pay. If Ingram is a 32% 3-pt shooter (and that's his career average in college) he's not scaring anybody out there. Ryan has been better historically, but he needs to start hitting some shots. Withers has yet to even attempt a three at Carolina, and Cadeau seems scared to shoot right now, so I'm actually a bit concerned about our spacing.
Yeah, but we were playing top competition.

Oh wait....

We're going to learn a lot very soon. I'm optimistic, but we'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT