ADVERTISEMENT

Why Miami should win

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
1. The Canes have had 2 weeks to prepare. During the first week, they were able to focus exclusively on what they could do better than they did against the Gators. During week 2, they are focusing on beating us.

2. Their DL is at least as good as SoCar's, and their LBs are better. Better LBs probably means that our RBs average fewer yards per carry than they did versus SoCar and that Howell has a tougher time completing short passes.

3. They know they should have beaten a Top 10 ranked team and will be hungry to prove that to the world.

4. They have better athletes at WR than SoCar, which could mean more break downs in our secondary.

5. They are used to winning enough to reach a bowl every year, while the UNC program got used to losing once again.

We will know a lot more about the 2019 Tar Heels after this game.

Hmmm.. Well Miami will have some tape on Longo and Bateman now albeit only one game but I like our chances at home. Mack, Longo and Bateman have tape on Miami and more of it. I believe Longo has much more stuff in his bag.

There was a great quote in Lee Pace's most recent Extra Points article. Tim Brewster asked Bateman at halftime, "You got a bead on them now, don't you?" Meaning, Bateman was able to anticipate SC's play calling and tendencies. That led to the defensive adjustments that held SC to 101 yards in the second half.

This is still a relatively inexperienced team. The coaches put the players in a position to succeed last weekend and we're going to need more of that to beat Miami.

miami is favored. but we have a chance if we correct the mistakes made last week, play with the same determination and stay within striking distance in the 4th quarter when our conditioning might pay off, as it did against scar.

miami is favored. but we have a chance if we correct the mistakes made last week, play with the same determination and stay within striking distance in the 4th quarter when our conditioning might pay off, as it did against scar.

NC has definitely a chance, but it has nothing to do with conditioning, Miami has a great conditioning program and if you watch the Florida game, Miami’s players looked a lot better than Florida in the 4th quarter. But I think this is going to be a great game and a truly measuring stick for both teams.

This would be a huge win for Carolina. Mack starting out 2-0 should help lock down recruits like Desmond Evans and maybe even flip a few guys who have committed elsewhere

Reactions: tarheel0910
Side note: Does anyone know if ESPN+ gives access to the ACC Network?

Miami has 5 upperclassmen starters on offense, UNC has 4. Both have 9 upperclassmen starters on defense. So experience is about equal. I think you’d have to say Miami has more talent. Both start freshmen QB’s, although Miami’s is a RSF. Both are in their first year under new HC’s.

Can we minimize penalties and TO’s, and do much better in the kicking game? It might come down to that.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I like our DL against their OL, and if Bateman's scheme can confuse an 8th year senior in Bentley, it will be interesting to see how a Rs FR handles it. If we can avoid big plays they may struggle to move the ball consistently.

On the other end, all about protecting the ball. Miami thrives off TOs and with a true freshman QB playing in an amped atmosphere hope he doesn't try and do too much.

NC has definitely a chance, but it has nothing to do with conditioning, Miami has a great conditioning program and if you watch the Florida game, Miami’s players looked a lot better than Florida in the 4th quarter. But I think this is going to be a great game and a truly measuring stick for both teams.

Don't let the Miami fans on your home message board see you say that, they are playing the "what do we run the score up to" and "when do we pull the starters" game over there.

Don't let the Miami fans on your home message board see you say that, they are playing the "what do we run the score up to" and "when do we pull the starters" game over there.

Deep down we’re not sure of what we’ve now, I think Manny is moving the program in the right direction and we picked up a bunch of real good players in the portal, we are working to bring another top class, JW is really good in my opinion and the receivers, TEs and backs are the best NC is going to face all year, besides Clemson if you play them, The OL is the problem and that’s why UM fans are worried as hell with this game.:

Reactions: Archer2
NC has definitely a chance, but it has nothing to do with conditioning, Miami has a great conditioning program....
the fact that UNC has an excellent conditioning program does indeed increase our chances. it means we can hang in there in the 4th quarter with miami who are also extremely well-conditioned.

Reactions: miamicanes37
wouldn't mind this game being played in the afternoon and watching miami bake for 3-4 hours in 90+ degree heat.

I think you are right about measuring stick game. I think each staff is going to come away from this game certain about what needs to be addressed to maximize the season.

Reactions: miamicanes37
UNC can win this game, mentioned before a win against a Florida school helps in recruitment for sure, and coach knows that.

Both teams have very good skill players on offense. Whichever team’s OL can control the line of scrimmage will likely win.

I could see Miami linebackers slowing our rush yardage. UF had just 50. Could mean pressure to use Sam's arm a bit more.

The Gamecocks and Miami in the last decade are known for having talent, but not putting it together, Also known for poor coaching and not disciplined and allowing lesser teams back into football games.. These are things App St. and Wake with lesser talent do not do.. Miami will look dominate at times and do stupid things to keep us in the game..

We will definitely have to open up the passing game a little bit, Miami's front 7 is better than SCar's and we won't have the same success running right at them if they continually load the box.

At the same time, the way they thrive on turnovers I could see a similarly conservative game plan with Sam if our D is playing well and holding them in check. We'll have to clean up a lot of the timing and procedural issues, can't get behind the chains too much against Miami.

At the same time, the way they thrive on turnovers I could see a similarly conservative game plan with Sam if our D is playing well and holding them in check.
Longo said in his press conference that the plan is to open up the playbook more and the play calling will look more like the second half of the south carolina game. I'm hoping that's true, because I want to see how he handles a pressure situation. Between it being the first home game, a conference opponent and at night in front of a sold out crowd that should definitely show us how he can handle the pressure.

I also am looking forward seeing Kelly play DB. He only played on special teams vs. SoCar. He is major potential and hopefully will mean that we do not get burned because Morrison is out.

Longo said in his press conference that the plan is to open up the playbook more and the play calling will look more like the second half of the south carolina game. I'm hoping that's true, because I want to see how he handles a pressure situation. Between it being the first home game, a conference opponent and at night in front of a sold out crowd that should definitely show us how he can handle the pressure.

True and I don’t think we’ll see anything as conservative as no passing in the RZ, but I could still see somewhat of a cautious approach if we get a lead and the D is playing like they did in the second half Saturday.

Reactions: tarheel0910
That wouldn't matter. Miami has been practicing that way since the beginning of time
Agreed. Regardless of how well-conditioned each team may be, the Canes are more used to 90+ temps and high humidity than pretty much any other team in the country. I'm glad it's a night game, so baking in the sun wont be a factor.

The 6 - 7 point spread sounds about right. This will be a tremendous test for Carolina, especially on the Heels of an emotional win last week.

Reactions: cpotter5000
End of the day I hope we can hang around and compete and have it close going into the 4th quarter...UNC is playing with House money all year...No pressure at all...Just building the program....

Reactions: Archer2
Agreed. Regardless of how well-conditioned each team may be, the Canes are more used to 90+ temps and high humidity than pretty much any other team in the country. I'm glad it's a night game, so baking in the sun wont be a factor.

The 6 - 7 point spread sounds about right. This will be a tremendous test for Carolina, especially on the Heels of an emotional win last week.

I see what you did there

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I think people are ignoring the historical data on this rivalry. Carolina doesn't fear Miami and has beaten them when underdogs. I consider it a rivalry because the games have been good and Carolina has played better consistently against the Canes than any of the other top notch programs in recent history. Miami always has talent, and has yet to see that talent develop on a year in, year out basis. They are as youthful and undisciplined as any team in the Acc. I think a night game and road environment is going to be tougher on them than Vegas and most. I also think Longo gameplans the tight ends into this one early opening up 1 on 1's on the outside. I expect the home team to eek this one out.

I am just glad we are still excited about the football season. Seems like last few years most were already moving on to basketball - just no excitement in football. As Kool said, it's house money right now. I was really expecting a 2 win season this year.

This game should tell us more about our team than the lil Carolina game. Miami seems to be a better team than sc.

But did The Heels get to play a full football game ? I was there seems Howell had to play with one arm tied behind his back in half one, If they take the training wheels off earlier this is a 14 point win... So we only got to see a Half of balance..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT