ADVERTISEMENT

Will politics in sports drive you away from the game?

yes for NFL games, that's already decided. colleges haven't announced yet. playing of the anthem(s) isn't shown on tv broadcasts anyway, so maybe they feel they don't have to announce it.

In keeping with the title of the thread:
If one stanza....one line or even one note of any alternative anthem is ever played in BKS, I'm marching up to gate #6 and demanding every penny back for my season tickets and I'll be asking the University and the Rams Club for refunds, too.

Since the kneeling isn't about the flag, I would assume if there is a black anthem and a national anthem both played prior to NFL games, anyone that kneels for one of the anthems would kneel for both of them, right?

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
our national anthem is about the flag. that's why it titled the "Star Spangled Banner" (another name for the U.S. flag), that's why the lyrics refer to the flag flying over fort mchenry, and that's why a flag is always flown or shown when it's played.

As others have said I watch sports as an escape from politics and crap going on in the world. If I purchase a ticket it is to a sporting event, to watch team A play team B, and not see/hear the players' political opinions. If LeBron or Mike Trout or whoever want to express their opinions they have every right to do so but NOT at the event where people are paying to watch them play.

Fans in attendance are a captive audience and should not have to be subject to political statements.

As others have said I watch sports as an escape from politics and crap going on in the world. If I purchase a ticket it is to a sporting event, to watch team A play team B, and not see/hear the players' political opinions. If LeBron or Mike Trout or whoever want to express their opinions they have every right to do so but NOT at the event where people are paying to watch them play.

Fans in attendance are a captive audience and should not have to be subject to political statements.

Nothing about you buying a ticket negates their right to voice their opinions, just like them voicing those opinions doesn’t negate your right to not attend games. The first amendment gives them the right to voice their opinions whenever and wherever they choose, and the consequences will be what they will be.

Again I’m not saying it’s an effective strategy to use games as a political platform. But saying they have the right to protest, as long as it’s not at a particular time and place that’s inconvenient to you, is wrong.

Nothing about you buying a ticket negates their right to voice their opinions, just like them voicing those opinions doesn’t negate your right to not attend games. The first amendment gives them the right to voice their opinions whenever and wherever they choose, and the consequences will be what they will be.

Again I’m not saying it’s an effective strategy to use games as a political platform. But saying they have the right to protest, as long as it’s not at a particular time and place that’s inconvenient to you, is wrong.

Yes they do have a right.. just seems dumb to drive away fans even if it is a small amount. Not good business sense. I agree with Bubspub that people should not have to listen to politics at games.

Here is the bigger question... what is really accomplished with these protests at games? If LeBron, Mike Trout, Bubba Wallace, Kap all make statements that BLM is important, abortion is wrong, China is evil, Biden is awesome.. ok.. and? Did that change anything? Only divided fans that didnt agree with some or all of it.

Here is the bigger question... what is really accomplished with these protests at games? If LeBron, Mike Trout, Bubba Wallace, Kap all make statements that BLM is important, abortion is wrong, China is evil, Biden is awesome.. ok.. and? Did that change anything? Only divided fans that didnt agree with some or all of it.

You're always going to piss some people off by protesting, no matter where or when you do it. MLK pissed a lot of people off too and he was a saint compared to all of those guys.

The Pro product already stinks because of salary caps , small market teams unable to compete, no team continuity etc. I haven't missed the pro game one bit and didn't really miss the NCAA and conference basketball tournaments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT