ADVERTISEMENT

Will politics in sports drive you away from the game?

I read the NBA may allow a social justice message on jerseys but still not allow the players to kneel. That is interesting, I know Lebron has been a supporter of NFL players kneeling. I wonder how NBA fans would react to this proposal.
I think some will be ok with it, but some won't. Depends on what the message is.

Reactions: uncfootball-
in college sports there's a fine line between victory and defeat and those athletes who focus entirely on team and winning will have an edge over those who focus on political agendas and endorsement deals.

in college sports there's a fine line between victory and defeat and those athletes who focus entirely on team and winning will have an edge over those who focus on political agendas and endorsement deals.

Well right now this political stuff is the flavor of the month. You know it's bad when Nascar is in on the action.

The longer we are away from sports, the easier it will be to give them up. Once that time is allocated for other activities it may be years before the interest levels return.
The more dumb decisions that are made now, the farther the fall and the longer the time that it will take to reverse the trend.

Honestly, I have no idea what the NFL is doing. Can't really walk back what they did to Kap, but now I think they're just making it worse.

Well Im sure we disagree on Kap.. I read he chose not to sign with a team that offered a contract. He chose to protest at work. I have no use for him.

Reactions: Archer2
Well Im sure we disagree on Kap.. I read he chose not to sign with a team that offered a contract. He chose to protest at work. I have no use for him.

I don't think Kaepernick is without fault. He opted out of his contract, and probably could've handled his workout better. But you can't collude to blackball someone based on their political views. We'll probably never know if that's actually what happened, however, they did reach a settlement on his grievance. So at best it was highly suspicious, I mean Mike Glennon had a job. To me, it's this simple: If you don't want players kneeling, then make it against the rules. And enforce it like anything else. I just feel like that entire situation was handled poorly and there's really no good way to make amends for it.

But, now, they're going to play a black national anthem, which was last popular when racial segregation was implemented. Lol. Who in their right mind signs off on something like that as a good idea? Failure in leadership all the way around.

I don't think Kaepernick is without fault. He opted out of his contract, and probably could've handled his workout better. But you can't collude to blackball someone based on their political views. We'll probably never know if that's actually what happened, however, they did reach a settlement on his grievance. So at best it was highly suspicious, I mean Mike Glennon had a job. To me, it's this simple: If you don't want players kneeling, then make it against the rules. And enforce it like anything else. I just feel like that entire situation was handled poorly and there's really no good way to make amends for it.

But, now, they're going to play a black national anthem, which was last popular when racial segregation was implemented. Lol. Who in their right mind signs off on something like that as a good idea? Failure in leadership all the way around.

Black national anthem?
The NFL is now promoting racism?

I don't think that's necessarily their intentions, but playing a song that evokes imagery of segregation is probably not the best idea in today's political climate. What happens if someone kneels during the black national anthem?

It's definitely not a good look. There are a lot of smart black conservatives that I listen to and value their opinions..ALL of them said this Black National Anthem is stupid.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I mean, I'll still watch. It doesn't really bother me. I'm just dumbfounded by the lack of sound judgment from an organization that generates billions of dollars in revenue every year.

If I was in charge I would try to stay out of anything that divides people. My pitch would be "we are entertainment, we want everyone to enjoy sports. Silence on a subject does not mean support.. it just means it's not sports"

I've been reading the opinions of others on these boards for years and for the most part i've enjoyed the debates that have taken place but to hear the ignorance that's being put forth now is truly disheartening.I notice that as long as black athletes to borrow the phrase"shut up and dribble"or whatever the case may be that white people have no problem with moral or social injustice but as soon as you are forced to confront these ills of society you feel like you're being infringed upon. If things were as equal as they are supposed to be Mr.Kaepernick would not have had to use the only platform left that could get the attention of the mainstream public that they could not and would not be willing to ignore seeing as how the RNC has done a super job of taking away every other voice that black people have threw voter suppression hijacking the white house,supreme court and Senate and rigging the electoral college and the doj

I have never been for or against the Redskins but it looks like they will change the name. Pressure from Fed Ex and the Stupid Swoosh company. I guess bullying is ok.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I've been reading the opinions of others on these boards for years and for the most part i've enjoyed the debates that have taken place but to hear the ignorance that's being put forth now is truly disheartening.I notice that as long as black athletes to borrow the phrase"shut up and dribble"or whatever the case may be that white people have no problem with moral or social injustice but as soon as you are forced to confront these ills of society you feel like you're being infringed upon. If things were as equal as they are supposed to be Mr.Kaepernick would not have had to use the only platform left that could get the attention of the mainstream public that they could not and would not be willing to ignore seeing as how the RNC has done a super job of taking away every other voice that black people have threw voter suppression hijacking the white house,supreme court and Senate and rigging the electoral college and the doj

So you're a Trump supporter?

/s lol

Last edited:
Is there any area in life that we should be able to get away from politics, or would that always show our "ignorance" ?

Professional and college sports are businesses like any other business. Nothing special about sports economically. The NFL should have learned that injecting politics into sports was unwise financially. Truth. Looks like the NFL will have to repeat history and relearn a lesson. And maybe the woke NCAA will do the same. Fine with me. I will not subsidize with my attendance or TV eyes any sport that hits me over the head with woke politics. And, trust me, many fans agree with me, even though they would not publicly do so for fear of the very tolerant left.

well said. More Kool-Aid?

giphy.gif

"If things were as equal as they are supposed to be..."

If things were as equal as idiots would have us believe that they are supposed to be, there would be an ongoing white protest over the ratio of white players to black players in professional sports, based not on ability but on a failure to represent the ratio in our population. The ignorance being put forth now is the same ignorance we have been enduring for many years now....that is, the ignoring of the other side of the coin. The more the agenda-pushers refuse to show us both sides of the coin, the less interested I am in hearing their one-sided sports-borne bullshit. F 'em and the sport they rode in on.

Last edited:
If you’re even half as ignorant of the facts as you appear to be, it’s a waste of time to refute your post.

Did
A couple more potential names.

Washington River Weasels

Washington Weed Wackers
Who cares? Isn't there something more important to b!tch about?

Redskins, Pigskins - it's still a really awesome, unique sport that will be played in the exact same manner.

And do you watch NFL on sunday for the anthem and whether a player holds his hand over his heart, hums, or whistles the anthem, or do you watch the actual sportsing parts?
They could play the Russian Anthem for all I care - I have a mute button, NFL will still a thousand times more interesting to watch than bowling, baseball and most other sports.

Did

Who cares? Isn't there something more important to b!tch about?

Redskins, Pigskins - it's still a really awesome, unique sport that will be played in the exact same manner.

And do you watch NFL on sunday for the anthem and whether a player holds his hand over his heart, hums, or whistles the anthem, or do you watch the actual sportsing parts?
They could play the Russian Anthem for all I care - I have a mute button, NFL will still a thousand times more interesting to watch than bowling, baseball and most other sports.

So will you feel the same when the name Tar Heels goes away?

Reactions: JimmyinVA
So will you feel the same when the name Tar Heels goes away?
Absolutely.

If the new name supported something bad I might reject the team - like the UNC satanic babykillers, or UNC Nazis.

Otherwise, I chose this as my fav team for a zillion reason unrelated to the damn name, so no, a name change wouldn't end my support the heels.

They could rename us the UNC butterflies and i'd think it was a dumb name but it would still be fun to watch Sam Howell throw bombs to Dazz and for Javonte to truck some NCSU secondary and for Bateman would to confuse the opposing qb.

Absolutely.

If the new name supported something bad I might reject the team - like the UNC satanic babykillers, or UNC Nazis.

Otherwise, I chose this as my fav team for a zillion reason unrelated to the damn name, so no, a name change wouldn't end my support the heels.

They could rename us the UNC butterflies and i'd think it was a dumb name but it would still be fun to watch Sam Howell throw bombs to Dazz and for Javonte to truck some NCSU secondary and for Bateman would to confuse the opposing qb.

correction...the UNC satanic 'baby killers', not 'babykillers'. What kind of Tar Heel are you?

Reactions: blazers
Absolutely.

interesting

A Lot of Americans died fighting for our freedom. My dad fought in world war II. I love Carolina basketball and football, if they ditch the US flag then i am done with college sports ass well.oh by the way ...Colin Kaepernick is a thud...pissed off because of noise candy .Now he is trying too make a name for hisself by making trouble.

There's an old saying my momma used to tell me that says a hit dog always holla and like I anticipated all the"ignorant"hit dogs are truly hollering. Look it doesn't bother me that you think that I don't know what I'm talking about because the evidence that I do is all around us and that's your problem more than it is mine but please don't try to put forth the narrative that the only reason why there are more black players on football fields and basketball courts is because white players are being discriminated against because that is truly laughable....and yes I would love some kool-aid Lol

There's an old saying my momma used to tell me that says a hit dog always holla and like I anticipated all the"ignorant"hit dogs are truly hollering. Look it doesn't bother me that you think that I don't know what I'm talking about because the evidence that I do is all around us and that's your problem more than it is mine but please don't try to put forth the narrative that the only reason why there are more black players on football fields and basketball courts is because white players are being discriminated against because that is truly laughable....and yes I would love some kool-aid Lol
Yet another delusional post. You’re 2 for 2.

Who the hell said anything about white people being discriminated against?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT