ADVERTISEMENT

Will We Play More Zone?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Since Roy doesn't seem to like zone, I'm guessing no. But with all these green bigs, would playing more zone make sense? On the theory that it's easier to learn and may reduce fouling.

I don't know enough about zone - I'm a UNC fan, after all ;) - so I'm asking for our gurus and coaches to comment.

I would think that will depend on the mobility of our big guys.

I like zone for a change of pace and believe that it can throw teams out of rhythm when used sparingly. Not good used when used as a primary defense.

Hoping we see multiple defenses this year more than in past years. Possibly some aggressive trapping and flashing zone a few more times.

A question I have though is if we institute this philosophy and have to practice it more, then what other areas get cut during scheduled practices?

I would think that will depend on the mobility of our big guys.

I like zone for a change of pace and believe that it can throw teams out of rhythm when used sparingly. Not good used when used as a primary defense.

Hoping we see multiple defenses this year more than in past years. Possibly some aggressive trapping and flashing zone a few more times.

A question I have though is if we institute this philosophy and have to practice it more, then what other areas get cut during scheduled practices?
Your last point resonates. With only 1 experienced big guy, I would think trying to teach multiple defenses to our front line would slow their development. Since we need some of them to be ready this season, we probably need to keep it simple. But I'm just guessing.

Elsewhere - based on the depth, quickness and athleticism we have at PG and wings - I have hoped we would see a lot of pressing. I mean we definitely have the personnel to terrorize opposing back courts as they bring the ball up.

Which raises the obvious question for this thread: Can you do a lot of pressing and also play zone once the ball is in the front court, or does that give opposing offenses openings?

Bigs in a press are extremely important. Maybe you do more pressing when you go small ball because our freshmen bigs aren't moving fast enough yet to be a effective as we need in back of a press. UNC always uses multiple defenses and I expect it to be ramped up more since we have so many long athletic wings/guards! I bet any increase in zone will be because of foul problems more than foot-speed. Coaches will be teaching defensive positioning and anticipation very hard and these cancel out pure speed once learned.

Since Roy doesn't seem to like zone, I'm guessing no. But with all these green bigs, would playing more zone make sense? On the theory that it's easier to learn and may reduce fouling.

I don't know enough about zone - I'm a UNC fan, after all ;) - so I'm asking for our gurus and coaches to comment.
I hear ya, but it's actually a great question. You can flat guarantee opponents are gonna stress our frosh Bigs with high ball-screens in Man. As you said Roy is zone-shy, too much so IMO, but you may see a bit more with one of the younguns in the game.

I don't think much more zone from Roy that we have been accustomed to, Roy will want his bigs to learn his schemes and not feel the need to go to "junk defenses" as Roy considers zones. He does have 4 freshman bigs he can go to so foul issues should not force him and I do think Luke can show good leadership on the floor with the frosh he is paired up with.

I don't think much more zone from Roy that we have been accustomed to, Roy will want his bigs to learn his schemes and not feel the need to go to "junk defenses" as Roy considers zones. He does have 4 freshman bigs he can go to so foul issues should not force him and I do think Luke can show good leadership on the floor with the frosh he is paired up with.
How many minutes can Luke play?

When Luke isn't on the floor, which do you think we'll see more of - 2 freshman bigs at the same time or small ball?

Would it be better to play small ball with Luke out there or with a freshman big out there?

I hear ya, but it's actually a great question. You can flat guarantee opponents are gonna stress our frosh Bigs with high ball-screens in Man. As you said Roy is zone-shy, too much so IMO, but you may see a bit more with one of the younguns in the game.
This is why I think Roy will be going small this year more than he has since 2012-2013. Despite a primary rotation of Berry , Williams , Johnson , Pinson , Maye , and Felton not having a lot of size.... These are likely Roy's 6 best players and most likely have the best feel for the teams defensive principles. This group should be able to guard going small and despite being small should be a solid group when it comes to rebounding the ball collectively. I think pace and shooting is gonna be too important this year for success to not play to that strength.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT