ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Atlanta Braves thread

I wouldn't be opposed to that. I don't think he's a .231 hitter though (he's better than that), but he and Smith do a lot of the same things, so I don't think it makes much sense to have them both. I'd like power on both corners of the outfield as well with Smith in center. On the other hand, I like speed, and having both he and Smith along with Swanson and Albies is intriguing to me. I'm fine either way, really, but if he stays, he needs to be hitting up there around .300 for it to work.
I'm just partial to Mallex because he's faster, he's American (yeah yeah, sue me), he's from Braves Country, and most importantly, he's going to be a guy who can hit about 15 HRs a season according to those in the know. I'll absolutely take that from my CF. Inciarte......he'll hit 5 or so. That's not good enough for me.

I'm just partial to Mallex because he's faster, he's American (yeah yeah, sue me), he's from Braves Country, and most importantly, he's going to be a guy who can hit about 15 HRs a season according to those in the know. I'll absolutely take that from my CF. Inciarte......he'll hit 5 or so. That's not good enough for me.
Yeah I think highly of Mallex and I think he's (finally!) going to be our next great leadoff hitter. People really think he's going to hit 15 homers? I don't see that, but I'll gladly take it if he does.

Yeah I think highly of Mallex and I think he's (finally!) going to be our next great leadoff hitter. People really think he's going to hit 15 homers? I don't see that, but I'll gladly take it if he does.
I didn't see that either, but a guy on the radio here in Atlanta who's been covering the Braves for 20 seasons dropped the number 15, so I'm basing it on that.

ETA: After doing some more research, I think that 15 number is too aggressive. May have been a misspeak on Dimino's part. I think 10 would be an outstanding number for him (though he had hit two already before his injury)

Check this proposed 3-way trade out (hold your nose, it's from a Pack fan)....actually, that reminds me, if you can stomach it, PackPride has a really, really awesome Braves discussion thread each season. Participation has died down a bit this season, but in general, there is a lot of activity and varying viewpoints over there. I lurk their Braves thread each season. Anyway, here's the trade below. Thoughts @coolwaterunc and @Hark_The_Sound_2010 ?

WNCpackfan

High School Scout
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
28 posts this site
Re: Thinking out loud here...
06/26/2016

Well after seeing Teheran put together another dominant outing tonight...here's a blockbuster for you! And Bill would agree per our conversation on twitter...

3 Way Deal... Braves, Pirates, Red Sox

Pirates acquire Freddie Freeman and Mookie Betts

Red Sox acquire Julio Teheran and Andrew McCutchen

Braves acquire Jackie Bradley Jr, Andrew Benintendi, Anderson Espinoza, Austin Meadows, Josh Bell and Reese McGuire

Check this proposed 3-way trade out (hold your nose, it's from a Pack fan)....actually, that reminds me, if you can stomach it, PackPride has a really, really awesome Braves discussion thread each season. Participation has died down a bit this season, but in general, there is a lot of activity and varying viewpoints over there. I lurk their Braves thread each season. Anyway, here's the trade below. Thoughts @coolwaterunc and @Hark_The_Sound_2010 ?

WNCpackfan

High School Scout
28 posts this site
06/26/2016

Well after seeing Teheran put together another dominant outing tonight...here's a blockbuster for you! And Bill would agree per our conversation on twitter...

Braves acquire Jackie Bradley Jr, Andrew Benintendi, Anderson Espinoza, Austin Meadows, Josh Bell and Reese McGuire
I'd do that right now.

I'd do that right now.
Oh same here. IMO, the Braves come out the best in that trade and it isn't close. We give up a 1B that would soon cost us $20m a year and admittedly an almost-elite, young, cheap SP, but.....1B is easy to replace, relatively, and pitching is our minor league strength so we can hopefully replace from within.

Boston actually would come out the worst in that deal, but the rationale behind the Sox doing the deal is they're one of the biggest market teams so they could quickly recover and replace what they'd lose in Betts, Benintendi, JBJ.

I'm assuming Bogaerts is untouchable on Boston, which is a shame for us.

Too bad it'll never happen though. I like Freddie, I really do, but I don't think he's as good as the Braves do, and I know you don't either. Freddie is a good major league first baseman, I don't think anyone can say otherwise. He's really good if he has a good lineup around him. If the Braves are going into this thing thinking Freddie can carry the offense, then it's not going to work. He'll go on a two-week tear and carry the team, but he's not consistent enough to be the stand out guy all year. He'll go on another two-week stretch where he looks just as bad as he looked good during that hot streak I just mentioned.

Too bad it'll never happen though. I like Freddie, I really do, but I don't think he's as good as the Braves do, and I know you don't either. Freddie is a good major league first baseman, I don't think anyone can say otherwise. He's really good if he has a good lineup around him. If the Braves are going into this thing thinking Freddie can carry the offense, then it's not going to work. He'll go on a two-week tear and carry the team, but he's not consistent enough to be the stand out guy all year. He'll go on another two-week stretch where he looks just as bad as he looked good during that hot streak I just mentioned.
Yeah I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but it's terrifying to me that the Braves have (or at least it appears they have, based on Coppy's moves and comments) hitched their wagon to Freeman. I know you know how I feel about him. I do agree that he could excel in a stacked lineup, but so could a lot of hitters to be perfectly honest. Freeman would be an excellent piece for us as a complement to an already power-filled lineup, but that's not what we have here. Also, here's another huge issue when it comes to Freeman and Coppy and Hart are acutely aware of this
Good point Hark on him adjusting to the Boston market. After all, he's a small-town kid from Alabama. In addition, the Atlanta market is notorious for having "friendly media" who will never put pressure on a struggling coach or player. Basically, if you're a fan favorite, the media nor the fans in Atlanta will ever say something bad about you. Freddie Freeman could strike out 30 times in a row and make 10 errors at first base, and the local media and fans would still kiss his ass and say he's the best player in the National League (LOL).
I live in Atlanta and listen to sports talk radio here (uhh, sorry NCers, but y'all don't even know what legit local sports talk radio is.....it's godawful in Charlotte and Raleigh) every single day, and trust me when I tell you that Braves fans LOVE Freddie Freeman. I couldn't tell you why they do, but damnit they do. So many callers called in after all our big trades last season and the season before and said something to the effect of "I'm angry about the trade(s) but I guess I understand it. But that being said, we BETTER not trade Freeman, or so help me I will just give up on being a Braves fan." The fanbase just loves Freeman to death. And like I pointed out in my quoted post, Atlanta's media is notorious for being way too soft and lenient with high-profile players who aren't performing up to the level they should. It took until about May of this year for radio hosts here to FINALLY start vocalizing "well, maybe the Braves should look at moving Freddie Freeman too...."

And trust me, Hart and Coppy are aware of the love for Freddy. Atlanta fans love to pick certain guys and just fall in love with them, then pick other guys and just demonize them and never give them a chance. B.J. Upton was hated from basically Day 1. Marvin Williams was also basically hated from Day 1. And yet guys like Freeman and Al Horford and guys who continuously don't live up to what they should be are continuously excused and apologized for by the fans. Freeman is one of those guys and Hart/Coppy know that the fanbase might revolt if they deal Freddie (unless they get a read-now big leaguer in exchange).

I think Braves fans fall in love with the one guy that's been around the longest. They saw Chipper Jones be the guy forever and never left, and now that he's retired, they see Freddie Freeman and now he's the one fans have latched on to. Freddie Freeman is the staple, and they don't like it when there's no staple. That's just my take on it, don't know how accurate that is.

Question for you, do you think Freddie is capable of repeating what he did in 2013, when he hit 23 homers, 109 RBIs and hit .319?

I think Braves fans fall in love with the one guy that's been around the longest. They saw Chipper Jones be the guy forever and never left, and now that he's retired, they see Freddie Freeman and now he's the one fans have latched on to. Freddie Freeman is the staple, and they don't like it when there's no staple. That's just my take on it, don't know how accurate that is.
I semi-agree with this. Definitely could be part of it.

Question for you, do you think Freddie is capable of repeating what he did in 2013, when he hit 23 homers, 109 RBIs and hit .319?
He can repeat the HR portion of that (he got 23 in 2012 as well and has 14 so far this season), but I do not think he can ever get 109 RBIs again, nor can he ever hit .319 again (his next best season avg is .288).

What's more, though, is 23 HR is not enough for me as "THE Guy" on the team. I mean don't get me wrong, 23 is a solid haul in 2016 baseball, but I want my best hitter on the team to flirt with 35-40 HRs, not 23. I mean, come on, 10 NLers already have 19 or more HRs and we aren't even to the All-Star break yet; 25 NLers have more homers than Freddie, and that's all just NL numbers. So I need more from Freddie even if he COULD replicate 2013.

Now, if we could somehow acquire someone else to become "THE Guy" and let Freeman be part of the supporting cast, then my view on Freeman would change entirely. But I just don't see how there's anyway we could get such a player without getting rid of Freeman.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
I think 35-40 is a bit much, but I agree with everything else. Chipper only hit 35-40 three times - one of those being 45(!). Well, he hit 34 once, so I'll call it four. I think 28-30 HR with at least a .290 average and 100+ RBI is a good measuring stick for being a truly elite offensive player in today's game.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I think 35-40 is a bit much, but I agree with everything else. Chipper only hit 35-40 three times - one of those being 45(!). Well, he hit 34 once, so I'll call it four. I think 28-30 HR with at least a .290 average and 100+ RBI is a good measuring stick for being a truly elite offensive player in today's game.
True, I'll revise my range to 31-36. I think that's more reasonable. I'm willing to bet 12 NLers reach that range this season. No reason the Braves shouldn't have one of those ~12 players.

WNCpackfan

High School Scout
28 posts this site
06/26/2016

I'd be out on this one I think. We'd be getting fleeced at OF losing Betts, JBJ, and Benintendi, and only getting McCutchen back.

Take Betts out of the deal, screw us getting McCutchen, and see what the Pirates have to give us in terms of pitching and maybe something can be worked out there. Or I'm fine doing the deal if one of the two teams would be willing to take on the Sandoval and/or Ramirez contracts so we could go back out and just use that money to sign some relatively young stud outfielder once they hit the market. The Dodgers were our White Knight in taking the Crawford, Beckett, and Gonzalez (although Adrian somewhat was worth his money) monstrous contracts off our books - but I doubt either the Pirates or the Braves have the money to do that this time.

Best I've seen him, by far. He was making make hitters look foolish all game.
Let me expand on this a little more since my phone was at 1% when I was trying to get this out the other day. He had 96-99 with movement on the corners, an outstanding curve, his changeup was working and diving away from lefties, and the slider was pretty good as well. Easily one of the best pitching performances of the year by anyone in the rotation. I will say he made a couple of mistakes like hanging a slider every now and then and, for whatever reason, throwing an 0-2 fastball straight down the middle, but since so many of his pitches were working, all they could do was foul them off. He had them off-balance and out of sorts all game long. It was one of the few times I actually saw him pitch with a gameplan rather than just throwing stuff up there. I'll be interested to see if he builds off this outing or goes up there next time and gives up three homers. Homers are always going to be an issue with him, but as long as they are solo homers and they don't come in bunches, I'm fine with it.

Let me expand on this a little more since my phone was at 1% when I was trying to get this out the other day. He had 96-99 with movement on the corners, an outstanding curve, his changeup was working and diving away from lefties, and the slider was pretty good as well. Easily one of the best pitching performances of the year by anyone in the rotation. I will say he made a couple of mistakes like hanging a slider every now and then and, for whatever reason, throwing an 0-2 fastball straight down the middle, but since so many of his pitches were working, all they could do was foul them off. He had them off-balance and out of sorts all game long. It was one of the few times I actually saw him pitch with a gameplan rather than just throwing stuff up there. I'll be interested to see if he builds off this outing or goes up there next time and gives up three homers. Homers are always going to be an issue with him, but as long as they are solo homers and they don't come in bunches, I'm fine with it.
Who caught him?

Hmm, interesting. Has he been catching Folty all along? I can't remember our catcher splits because there seems to be no rhyme or reason of who catches whom.
Not sure. I wonder if there's somewhere I can look that up. I know Flowers tends to be the guy for Teheran, but that's the only set battery that I know of.

On a side note, I was at the Charlotte Knights game on Saturday when they were taking on Gwinnett. Aaron Blair pitched, and he is so freaking awful. Walk, walk, single, walk, double...dude is a train wreck. I don't know if it's all in his head or if he is just really bad. Braves fans should be really concerned about him.

On a side note, I was at the Charlotte Knights game on Saturday when they were taking on Gwinnett. Aaron Blair pitched, and he is so freaking awful. Walk, walk, single, walk, double...dude is a train wreck. I don't know if it's all in his head or if he is just really bad. Braves fans should be really concerned about him.
Yeah I've been concerned for awhile now. It's a BAD sign that he's getting drilled in AAA ball. Usually when prospects haven't quite figured it out in the majors and get sent back down, they sorta get in limbo because they'll go back to AAA and dominate but then go back up to the majors and get roughed up (a la Folty). Not the case for Blair. He's straightup bad right now.

IMO, they need to sent Jenkins down and stretch him out to give him a run as a starter.

IMO, they need to sent Jenkins down and stretch him out to give him a run as a starter.
Agreed. Sticking Jenkins in the bullpen before he even got a shot as a starter was a ridiculously dumb move. So guys like Williams Perez, Ryan Weber and Joel De La Cruz get to start for Atlanta, but your reigning minor league pitcher of the year gets thrown in the bullpen in AAA before being promoted because it's the best way for him to get to the majors? What the hell? What kind of message does that send?

Agreed. Sticking Jenkins in the bullpen before he even got a shot as a starter was a ridiculously dumb move. So guys like Williams Perez, Ryan Weber and Joel De La Cruz get to start for Atlanta, but your reigning minor league pitcher of the year gets thrown in the bullpen in AAA before being promoted because it's the best way for him to get to the majors? What the hell? What kind of message does that send?
I don't really get it either but I *think* they were trying to give Blair and Folty as many chances as they could before demoting one or both of them. I guess. Idk. I hope they come back from the All-Star Break with Jenkin as a spot starter at a minimum. So what if he doesn't have elite velocity? Tons of hall of fame pitchers didn't either.

His stock will never be higher. I still say trade him.

I think I'm gonna disagree. With as many pitching prospects we have, we need a sure thing, and that's what Teheran is. Besides, he's 25 and under control until 2020 with a team-friendly contract. What if he gets even better? It's not like the guy is 32 and past his prime. Teheran is either just entering his prime or hasn't even reached it yet. Despite the fact he's been here a while, he's still young, and I think that's what people forget about him.

Also.....do not be surprised if we see Olivera back in Atlanta before the end of the season. The Braves are that desperate.

I was going to bring him up. Does he deserve another chance with the Braves? What if this was his wake up call, and he starts completely tearing it up and turns it around? Obviously, we'll try to trade him, but does he deserve another shot in Atlanta?

I think I'm gonna disagree. With as many pitching prospects we have, we need a sure thing, and that's what Teheran is. Besides, he's 25 and under control until 2020 with a team-friendly contract. What if he gets even better? It's not like the guy is 32 and past his prime. Teheran is either just entering his prime or hasn't even reached it yet. Despite the fact he's been here a while, he's still young, and I think that's what people forget about him.
I will counter that with.....look at the Mets. Just 12 months ago, those arms were seen as an unstoppable force that would dominate the NL East and the NL and even MLB for the next 5+ seasons. Now look at them. Harvey is a shadow of his former self. Look at Shelby Miller in Arizona. It is very, very, very dangerous to build your team around dynamic pitchers in 2016 baseball. Everyone throws too hard and there's too many arm injuries. Pitchers are becoming the running backs of baseball. Ride them as hard as you can and then draft a new one. You don't typically see great hitters, on the other hand, suddenly stop hitting. Yes, it happens, but not nearly as often as great pitchers suddenly flame out.

I was going to bring him up. Does he deserve another chance with the Braves? What if this was his wake up call, and he starts completely tearing it up and turns it around? Obviously, we'll try to trade him, but does he deserve another shot in Atlanta?
I think the trade for him was fuggin dumb and I think he's not worth NEARLY what we are paying him, but yes he deserves a second chance. I know, he hit a woman. That sucks and I would never wanna be friends with the dude. But at the same time, the Braves FO has a responsibility to the fans (a loyality, if you will) to give the team the best chance to win. If Olivera can figure out how to hit for power in the bigs, call him up IMO.

Pitchers are becoming the running backs of baseball. Ride them as hard as you can and then draft a new one. You don't typically see great hitters, on the other hand, suddenly stop hitting. Yes, it happens, but not nearly as often as great pitchers suddenly flame out.

Yup. And that has made me even more frustrated with the Red Sox lack of ability to properly scout pitchers. With the recent Espinoza trade, all of the Red Sox top prospects are hitters... I couldn't even tell you our top pitching prospect now. They've shown that they're willing to bring top hitting prospects up through the system (Bradley Jr., Betts, Bogaerts, Shaw, Swihart... hopefully soon with Moncada and Benintendi), but their plan seems to be to spend money or make trades to acquire already proven pitchers (Price, Porcello, Pomeranz). I agree with the Pomeranz trade because we needed help now, but it seems like we're just paying pitchers for past performance (on other teams). Although I guess Porcello is the exception to that - we paid him a lot when he had no past performance to speak of, and still hasn't done much to earn that contract.

I will counter that with.....look at the Mets. Just 12 months ago, those arms were seen as an unstoppable force that would dominate the NL East and the NL and even MLB for the next 5+ seasons. Now look at them. Harvey is a shadow of his former self. Look at Shelby Miller in Arizona. It is very, very, very dangerous to build your team around dynamic pitchers in 2016 baseball. Everyone throws too hard and there's too many arm injuries. Pitchers are becoming the running backs of baseball. Ride them as hard as you can and then draft a new one. You don't typically see great hitters, on the other hand, suddenly stop hitting. Yes, it happens, but not nearly as often as great pitchers suddenly flame out.
I understand, but the Mets were filled with power arms who threw in the upper 90s and so did Shelby Miller (Miller's struggles have more to do with his mechanics being all screwed up than anything). Teheran doesn't throw hard, and he has a reputation of being very durable. Teheran gets people out by movement and location while the Mets starters were blowing people away. There's a difference there. Medlen and Beachy weren't hard throwers either, but they had injury history, and Teheran does not. That's not to say that he can't/won't get hurt, but because of his durability and reputation, if there is a pitcher you can feel good about keeping around, it would be him. If we were talking about trading someone like Folty or something, then I would agree, but I don't think that applies quite as much to Teheran, if that makes sense.

If we're planning to be good in the near future, we need someone to anchor the rotation, and right now, Teheran is the only one qualified to do that. If the plan is to trade him and then make a deal to get another one to replace him in the winter or something, then okay, I guess, but whoever that would be wouldn't be as affordable as Teheran is.

Yup. And that has made me even more frustrated with the Red Sox lack of ability to properly scout pitchers. With the recent Espinoza trade, all of the Red Sox top prospects are hitters... I couldn't even tell you our top pitching prospect now. They've shown that they're willing to bring top hitting prospects up through the system (Bradley Jr., Betts, Bogaerts, Shaw, Swihart... hopefully soon with Moncada and Benintendi), but their plan seems to be to spend money or make trades to acquire already proven pitchers (Price, Porcello, Pomeranz). I agree with the Pomeranz trade because we needed help now, but it seems like we're just paying pitchers for past performance (on other teams). Although I guess Porcello is the exception to that - we paid him a lot when he had no past performance to speak of, and still hasn't done much to earn that contract.
Tom Priddy/Four Seam Images/AP Images
4dSam Henken
MLB Rumor Central: Boston Red Sox prospect hits 105 mph?

The stadium gun at Wednesday's high-A Salem Red Sox game clocked one of Michael Kopech's pitches at 105 mph.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Tom Priddy/Four Seam Images/AP Images
4dSam Henken
MLB Rumor Central: Boston Red Sox prospect hits 105 mph?

The stadium gun at Wednesday's high-A Salem Red Sox game clocked one of Michael Kopech's pitches at 105 mph.

I did hear about that. Hopefully he doesn't blow his arm out - but when he inevitably does, hopefully the Tommy John surgery works like a charm and he's up playing for the big boys in a few years.

Also I must have had a brain fart that I didn't remember we just signed Jason Groome. I guess we're in better shape than I thought in terms of pitching prospects even sans Espinoza.

Any concerns about Wisler? I mean, if we're gonna put Folty under the microscope when he has a terrible game, we might as well do the same with Wisler. His numbers aren't that impressive, really. He has an ERA of 4.67, which is a full run higher than Folty, I should add. I like the guy and everything, but let's not pretend he hasn't had some horrible games under his belt as well. I think he'll end up being a good solid guy in the rotation and have a long career, but his ceiling isn't all that high, IMO. He'll be one of those classic middle-to-bottom rotation "innings eaters" who probably will never wow anyone, but he'll be solid and win his fair share of games for you. Seems like one of those guys who'll hang around and still be decent when he's 37 years old but will never really stand out. Good, solid career, but nothing eye-popping.

Any concerns about Wisler? I mean, if we're gonna put Folty under the microscope when he has a terrible game, we might as well do the same with Wisler. His numbers aren't that impressive, really. He has an ERA of 4.67, which is a full run higher than Folty, I should add. I like the guy and everything, but let's not pretend he hasn't had some horrible games under his belt as well. I think he'll end up being a good solid guy in the rotation and have a long career, but his ceiling isn't all that high, IMO. He'll be one of those classic middle-to-bottom rotation "innings eaters" who probably will never wow anyone, but he'll be solid and win his fair share of games for you. Seems like one of those guys who'll hang around and still be decent when he's 37 years old but will never really stand out. Good, solid career, but nothing eye-popping.
Yeah, I was gonna post about this today. Wisler has steadily gotten worse with each start. And that is concerning because he was seen as pretty much a guaranteed part of our rotation for, a minimum, next season.

And I agree with your assessment, he's probably gonna end up being a solid number 3 or 4 in your rotation. But hey, if he can turn in to that, that's one piece of the puzzle solved.

Jenkins pitching exclusively out of the stretch, and I don't like it at all. Basically sending the message, "Yeah, you're starting, but you're a bullpen guy." I don't know if it was his decision to do that or not, but it really doesn't matter. If it was, then it's because we have him so screwed up that he doesn't know who he is. I really hate what we're doing to this kid. I really do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT