ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting Class Thread....

Another Top 10 guy. OLB/SS

Yep. I think it will be difficult to keep him in-state. Looking at the list...Jordan Riley is a UNC lean. Emeka Emezie will commit if he gets an offer. Ryan Jones looks like a tough pull, but we stand a better chance than a lot of the experts are predicting. Xach Gill visited for the Freak Show. I think he's waiting on UGA offer, but like our chances if he stays home. Sherrod Greene is another one I'd put in that camp. He'll be at the Duke game in a couple weeks. Grant Gibson, not sure to be honest. Looks like State and VaTech got to him first. Javon Leak is another one on our radar. Obviously it's still really early, so it's difficult to know how things will play out. A good season is always helpful.

The state of Virginia is packed with DL - both DT and DE. I think they have a bunch of DT's that outrank the NC DT's. I'm glad we got lawler, and now we should look north of the border

The state of Virginia is packed with DL - both DT and DE. I think they have a bunch of DT's that outrank the NC DT's. I'm glad we got lawler, and now we should look north of the border
3 of top 5 in state are DT's but we don't seem to have made any inroads yet.

3 of top 5 in state are DT's but we don't seem to have made any inroads yet.

Hopefully we will. True DTs of the size and athleticism right out of high school are hard to find sometimes, and we need to make that a focus. Seems like there are more talented DEs available and we resort to turning some DEs into DTs, which may be appropriate in some instances but would rather not be pushed.

We have 2 true DTs in this class and a guy that might become one that's 6'6", fast but only weighs 220 at DE.

Who are the Top RB Targets in this class...I know about the kid from Page but anybody else...

Who are the Top RB Targets in this class...I know about the kid from Page but anybody else...
Not sure as of now. I think how hard we recruit '17 RBs may depend on the success level we have on Zamir White's recruitment. We should be sending a coach to Scotland every allowable time.

Not sure as of now. I think how hard we recruit '17 RBs may depend on the success level we have on Zamir White's recruitment. We should be sending a coach to Scotland every allowable time.
The helicopter needs to be idling and ready on Friday nights.

Need 2 RB in this class IMO...Logan is gone and if Hood has another year like he just had he is gone as well....

Also do we take a QB in this class...What I want....

QB-0
RB-2 or 3 maybe
WR-3 or 4
TE-1 or none unless he is a 4 or 5 star
OL--5 or 6
DL---6 hoping for 3 DT and 3 DE but 4 and 2 will work either way.
LB--2 or 3..
DB---2 cb and 2 S...

What y'all think....

QB-0
RB-2 or 3 maybe
WR-3 or 4
OL--5 or 6
LB--2 or 3..
DB---2 cb and 2 S...

What y'all think....
Sounds like a plan. If our QB's and TE's pan out we are set at those positions I don't think we will have as many scholies as usual but I really haven't checked. I'll leave that to the guys who are better at it than me.

Break it down 58 what you want....We have lots of time until GA..Also everybody else...

This could be that class....

QB-0
RB-2 or 3 maybe
WR-3 or 4
OL--5 or 6
LB--2 or 3..
DB---2 cb and 2 S...

What y'all think....
I started a "2017 Needs?" thread on the premium board because those dudes really know their stuff. Here's what my post said. I realize my numbers will be off, this is just my best prognostication.....I'm not a guru by any means.

QB -- 1
Thoughts: would we really take more than 1 in this class? In 2017, MT will be Rs Sr, CH will be Rs Jr. Chazz, Elliott, Byrd all on roster as well.

RB -- 2 (1 more in addition to Rasheed Martin, assuming he sticks?)

WR -- 4 (2 more in addition to J.T. Cauthen and Tyler Smith)
Thoughts: think that WR is a more dire need than people think in the 2017 class. We need a few studs to re-stock the pond if you will. Fortunately for us, the staff knows this and we're already off to a great start with us nabbing Cauthen and Smith)

TE -- 1-2

OT -- 2-3?

OG -- 2-4? (1-3 more in addition to Melton, a huge get for us)

C -- 1

DE -- 2-3 (Lawler already on board is huge for us and let's us shoot for other high-ranked guys I'd imagine)

DT -- 2-3
Thoughts: We all know that DT and DE are our most dire needs moving forward. It's essential we haul in some studs along the front four or we'll never elevate to a truly elite program.

OLB -- 2-3?

MLB -- 1-2?
Thoughts: Not really sure about LB to be honest. Kinda hard to predict? I know we'll be somewhat thin at LB still by 2017.

CB -- 3-4

S -- 2

K -- ?

P -- ?

I know my numbers take me past 25. Thoughts? Guesses at specific recruits we'll nab? Just trying to spark discussion because I love when y'all that are in the know post your breakdowns and wish lists.

I started a "2017 Needs?" thread on the premium board because those dudes really know their stuff. Here's what my post said. I realize my numbers will be off, this is just my best prognostication.....I'm not a guru by any means.

QB -- 1
Thoughts: would we really take more than 1 in this class? In 2017, MT will be Rs Sr, CH will be Rs Jr. Chazz, Elliott, Byrd all on roster as well.

Thoughts: think that WR is a more dire need than people think in the 2017 class. We need a few studs to re-stock the pond if you will. Fortunately for us, the staff knows this and we're already off to a great start with us nabbing Cauthen and Smith)

TE -- 1-2

OT -- 2-3?

C -- 1

DE -- 2-3 (Lawler already on board is huge for us and let's us shoot for other high-ranked guys I'd imagine)

DT -- 2-3
Thoughts: We all know that DT and DE are our most dire needs moving forward. It's essential we haul in some studs along the front four or we'll never elevate to a truly elite program.

OLB -- 2-3?

MLB -- 1-2?
Thoughts: Not really sure about LB to be honest. Kinda hard to predict? I know we'll be somewhat thin at LB still by 2017.

CB -- 3-4

S -- 2

K -- ?

P -- ?

I know my numbers take me past 25. Thoughts? Guesses at specific recruits we'll nab? Just trying to spark discussion because I love when y'all that are in the know post your breakdowns and wish lists.

Do we take a TE or QB unless they are can't miss kind of guys...I think the kid from New Hanover is going to be a monster....

Do we take a TE or QB unless they are can't miss kind of guys...I think the kid from New Hanover is going to be a monster....
For QB I would say don't take any, but you know Fedora loves him some QB's, so we may take 1. As for TE, I'm still not entirely sure how tight end fits into this offense and how many we ideally like to have. We had Ebron but he was a hybrid (basically he was/is a WR). Then we basically had no receiving tight end until Fritts started to tear it up towards the end of last season. Tabb should've done better than he did, to be honest.

But between Fritts, Walston, Bargas, Carl Tucker, Turner (the kid from Illinois' name is Turner right?), you're right, we may not need to take a single TE.

QB -- 1

TE -- 1-2

OT -- 2-3?

C -- 1

DT -- 2-3

OLB -- 2-3?

MLB -- 1-2?

CB -- 3-4

S -- 2

K -- ?

P -- ?

I counted 21 seniors for next year and that included a couple who may have already left for medical issues.

That's a .... bold .... prediction. Didn't even think we were doing remotely well with him.
I actually didn't either. There are 3 predictions the one just done by Ross Martin for UNC and one for Tenn and one for WVU the most recent of those 2 in June. I really wasn't expecting any kind of decision any time soon. Maybe these Charlotte area guys want to play together. Maybe Fed's practices and events in Charlotte are paying off. Maybe Ross Martin knows something. Fingers crossed.

I actually didn't either. There are 3 predictions the one just done by Ross Martin for UNC and one for Tenn and one for WVU the most recent of those 2 in June. I really wasn't expecting any kind of decision any time soon. Maybe these Charlotte area guys want to play together. Maybe Fed's practices and events in Charlotte are paying off. Maybe Ross Martin knows something. Fingers crossed.
Let me see if I can find out anything.

it says huge announcement so maybe it's not a commitment.
You could be right on Ryan Jones. He may be narrowing his list or something...honestly I don't know. Hasn't been on my radar because like I said, I didn't even know we had a puncher's chance with him.

A couple things, here's the Rivals list of the Top 35 N.C. 2017 prospects right now: LINK

Notably, we've already gotten commitments from #2 Jonah Melton, #3 Jake Lawler, and #8 J.T. Cauthen. Ryan Jones is #4. You'll notice that DT Jordon Riley is #9 .....see below:

So that's interesting. Wasn't able to confirm anything with the couple Charlotte sources I hit up for info. If we were to land either of this guys, it would be huge. One would put us at having 4 of the top 10 in N.C. a whole 12 months before NSD '17

You could be right on Ryan Jones. He may be narrowing his list or something...honestly I don't know. Hasn't been on my radar because like I said, I didn't even know we had a puncher's chance with him.

A couple things, here's the Rivals list of the Top 35 N.C. 2017 prospects right now: LINK

Notably, we've already gotten commitments from #2 Jonah Melton, #3 Jake Lawler, and #8 J.T. Cauthen. Ryan Jones is #4. You'll notice that DT Jordon Riley is #9 .....see below:

So that's interesting. Wasn't able to confirm anything with the couple Charlotte sources I hit up for info. If we were to land either of this guys, it would be huge. One would put us at having 4 of the top 10 in N.C. a whole 12 months before NSD '17

The words is that Jones is ours, and Riley is very close to popping as well.

The words is that Jones is ours, and Riley is very close to popping as well.
HUGE, if true. I made a post on premium ranting on about how WR is a much more dire need in the '17 class than people want to admit. I guess this staff agrees because Jones would make THREE stud receivers already on board.

QB -- 1

TE -- 1-2

OT -- 2-3?

C -- 1

DT -- 2-3

OLB -- 2-3?

MLB -- 1-2?

CB -- 3-4

S -- 2

K -- ?

P -- ?

Not in the know or a guru or insider.....just have a couple of comments....maybe don't take a QB and so express confidence in our recruits. ALWAYs look to recruit true DTs. Chizik had it right when he said guys with that size and athleticism are hard to find. Every year, sign as many high quality DTs as are available.

Not in the know or a guru or insider.....just have a couple of comments....maybe don't take a QB and so express confidence in our recruits. ALWAYs look to recruit true DTs. Chizik had it right when he said guys with that size and athleticism are hard to find. Every year, sign as many high quality DTs as are available.

You take at least 1 QB every single year. As good a QB as you can get, no other position even comes close to being as important.

Khalan Laborn 4* from Va has been to camp and D'Andre Swift 4* from Philly unofficially visited. Also offers to Adarius Lemons and Kameron Duncan both from FL. per Scout

HUGE, if true. I made a post on premium ranting on about how WR is a much more dire need in the '17 class than people want to admit. I guess this staff agrees because Jones would make THREE stud receivers already on board.
I am assuming we take Sage Surratt unless he desires to go elsewhere.

You take at least 1 QB every single year. As good a QB as you can get, no other position even comes close to being as important.
According to Scout we have offered Bailey Hockman and Davis Mills both 4* QB's from GA. and both listed as Pro and both have been on campus. I'm sure Richt has been all over both and the U just had a decommit from an option QB to no surprise of the fanbase because Richt is known to favor a Pro style QB. Herndon Hooker from Dudley has also visited more than once I think.

According to Scout we have offered Bailey Hockman and Davis Mills both 4* QB's from GA. and both listed as Pro and both have been on campus. I'm sure Richt has been all over both and the U just had a decommit from an option QB to no surprise of the fanbase because Richt is known to favor a Pro style QB. Herndon Hooker from Dudley has also visited more than once I think.
We could get Hockman for sure.

LMAO at the moo fans on his twitter thinking he might commit to moo. Best I can tell , he wasn't even considering them. did I say boom! or Heel yeah! ? Keeping the NC guys in NC at the flagship.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT