ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Atlanta Braves thread

Damn Viz always make it interesting!!! 5-1 homestand..... I’ll take it! Barring serious injury I truly believe the Braves are in it for the long haul.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
It makes no sense lol. As soon as Vizzy lets one or two guys get on he becomes unhittable. Not good for my heart.

I'm really psyched about that 6-game home stand. Taking 5 of 6 is exactly what we needed. Needed to beat up on mediocre teams and reward the home fans and try to turn STP in to a real home field advantage. Amazing crowds during that home stand. Love it.

Same, bro. Same. When he comes in, I can't sit still. I either tidy up the room I'm in while watching, or do some dumbbell curls, or start cooking or something. Sitting still while watching him close gives me major anxiety.
LOL!!!!!

Nats lose again today to the Blue Jays. Except for days Scherzer starts (and they're even 0-2 in his last two starts), the Nats are as "off" as they can possibly be. We need to try to put as many games between them and us right now while the Nats are struggling.

Also, @coolwaterunc, my dream Braves acquisition 3B/SS Eugenio Suarez homered again today. He's now hitting .297 / .384 / .569 with 14 HRs, 52 RBI, 11 2Bs, and 28 BBs. He's got a 155 wRC+ and a 2.3 WAR.

Oh, and he hasn't even turned 27 yet and he's under contract for 4+ more seasons. Get. It. Done. Seriously, I would include Riley in a package for him, since Suarez is young and plays the same position. He's also a proven commodity at the major league level. For all his potential, Riley is not proven at the MLB level, yet. Furthermore, the combination of Suarez, Jose Peraza, and Scooter Gennett are blocking the Reds' best minor league prospect Nick Senzel from coming to the bigs. They already moved Senzel to 2B (away from 3B) because of Suarez, so yeah. It would give Senzel a place to play.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
If Suarez is a part of a group that's blocking their top prospect, then why would they want Riley for him? Legit question - I have no idea about the Reds system.

If Suarez is a part of a group that's blocking their top prospect, then why would they want Riley for him? Legit question - I have no idea about the Reds system.
Fair shout. The reason it would work for the Reds is because Gennett isn't a long-term player for them. He's already like 31. He is a prime candidate to get "sell high" on at the deadline and get a haul of prospects back. That of course would open a spot for Senzel and the Reds could easily stop there.

But... the Reds are so bad and need so many pieces, that I would think they would be open to trading Suarez too. They could then plug Senzel in at 2B (for now) and have Riley who is major league ready for 3B, and whatever pitchers and prospects they could get from the Braves.

I admit though that it makes way more sense from a Braves perspective than a Reds perspective. But damnit it would make our lineup near unhittable and if we could find some way to make the deal happen without giving up Riley, then it would potentially solve our Dansby issue as well.

Or... we could plug Riley into LF, keep Suarez at 3B and Dansby at SS, slide Acuña to RF to replace Markakis and BAM... no money needed on a free agent OF and we could go get TWO stud free agent starting pitchers.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
I'm starting to not like my prediction of the Braves falling just short of the playoffs (i.e. the division). I think this team can do it this year. The offense has been struggling, yet we're playing some of the best baseball we've been playing all year. The starting pitching has really stepped it up, and that has worked wonders for us. Newcomb isn't slowing down, Folty is coming into his own and figuring it out, Soroka looks like he's ready to be a fixture already, and vets like Teheran and Sanchez are doing their thing too. If you told me at the beginning of the year that Julio Teheran would be the worst out of the five guys I just mentioned, I would be very, very worried. This rotation is legit, and of course they won't pitch at this pace all year, but when they start to fall, the offense has shown the ability to pick it up as well. This is a very balanced team, and the time to win is now. Bring it, Nats. Let's do this.

Btw, what is up with the crappy O, lately? We’re leaving way too many men on base and striking out a shit ton. I’m getting a little tired waiting for Stanton to heat up.

I mean we had 1.5 game lead over Boston at one point. It’ll be close all summer, but damn this lineup doesn’t look all that scary right now.

The AL playoff picture is already pretty much set. The Indians are winning the Central, the Astros are winning the West, the Mariners are getting a wild card spot. The Yankees and Red Sox will both make it, one (probably the Yankees) winning the East and the Sox getting the wild card.

The Angels are the next closest team to a playoff spot and they're 8 back of the wild card and will only drop further... wish we could just fast forward the season to September at this point since the next 3 months are completely unnecessary.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
The AL playoff picture is already pretty much set. The Indians are winning the Central, the Astros are winning the West, the Mariners are getting a wild card spot. The Yankees and Red Sox will both make it, one (probably the Yankees) winning the East and the Sox getting the wild card.

The Angels are the next closest team to a playoff spot and they're 8 back of the wild card and will only drop further... wish we could just fast forward the season to September at this point since the next 3 months are completely unnecessary.

Can’t argue with anything here. The AL East could literally come down to the last game of the season. I can’t see too much vulnerability in either team except maybe the bullpen for Boston and your 6-9 hitters. For us it’s obviously the pitching and contact hitting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT