ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Atlanta Braves thread

The DH in the American League is just a lazy way of fixing that problem. Can't find a spot for a hitter who is fat or can't play defense? Stick him at the DH.

It's dumb.

Hmm. What an odd thing to say. So you’re saying Stanton/Judge are either fat or can’t play defense?? Lol thats laughable. Two of the fittest players in the league and both with above average defense especially given their size. Try again.

Also why do you even care? NL home against an AL team they play by NL rules. Seems like something to just get upset about for the hell of it.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
If a player does need time to recuperate before playing in the field every day he can be used as a DH.
Or they can just sit him completely. They could pull both their hamstrings if they are batting.

If a team wants to give one of their every day fielders a day off it’s an option.
You can do that without a DH.

If you don’t want your pitchers pulling both hamstrings while posting a .055 batting average it’s an option.
The reason most pitchers suck at batting is because they never practice it. It's not just at the pro level. The stupidity of the DH has grown to the lower levels of the game. A lot of these guys haven't had to hit since little league. Get rid of the DH and their hitting will improve. It will take some time, but it would happen.

Hmm. What an odd thing to say. So you’re saying Stanton/Judge are either fat or can’t play defense?? Lol thats laughable. Two of the fittest players in the league and both with above average defense especially given their size. Try again.

Also why do you even care? NL home against an AL team they play by NL rules. Seems like something to just get upset about for the hell of it.
Did I say Stanton and Judge are the only two DHs in existence in all of baseball? Try again.

Reactions: tarheel0910
What do you have against the DH? Seriously, I’m curious.
The biggest thing is that it just about completely takes strategy out of the game. Really, all an AL manager has to do is set the lineup and go back into the clubhouse and take a nap if he wants. He never has to make any decisions on whether or not he should risk pinch hitting for his pitcher who is dominating in a close game or keeping him in there with the hopes of breaking through later.

The biggest thing is that it just about completely takes strategy out of the game. Really, all an AL manager has to do is set the lineup and go back into the clubhouse and take a nap if he wants. He never has to make any decisions on whether or not he should risk pinch hitting for his pitcher who is dominating in a close game or keeping him in there with the hopes of breaking through later.

I do acknowledge this and I agree. But I don't care. I mean, I think baseball managers have the easiest coaching position in all of sports already.

They don’t have talent wasting away. (See DH).
No, but he's saying they would if it wasn't for the DH.

Players HAVE to have several games off sprinkled in during the season.
You're right, but somehow the national league manages to do it without a DH. And you're not really giving a player the game off. You're actually using more players when you have a DH.

I understand and I agree. I’m just saying that the Yanks roster is managed very well since the DH is an actual thing. If there was no DH we probably wouldn’t have all of these outfielders.
We're not going to agree on the DH, but I think we can all agree that yankees (people from the north, not the baseball team) can GFT. That includes @Hark_The_Sound_2010 and @carolinablue34. I would include @dadika13, but he's already ****ed himself by buying a house in Jersey.

Rather than quoting 15 different poasts, I'll just blanket reply here.

Re: Trout. I want the record to show that at no time did I ever say he wasn't the best player in baseball (he is). I merely said he didn't deserve the 2016 MVP, and he shouldn't win it this year either, because his team did (and probably will) finish below 500 and out of the playoffs. It's not the BPA (Best Player Award) it's the MVP, and it's tough to be considered that valuable to a product that sucks. If you want to give it to Trout every year, rename the award to the BPA.

Re: DH. I agree it takes the strategy out of the game, which is a bummer. But @tarheel0910 made the case that it's ruining the lower levels, which is backwards. They needed to put the DH in because pitchers' hitting was so terrible, it's not that pitchers hitting is terrible because the DH is now instituted.

Also - they need the DH to give some sort of excitement to the games. I like a pitcher's duel as much as the next guy - but if you're gonna make me sit through 3.5 hour games 162 times a year, I damn well better be seeing someone tear the cover off the ball every once in a while.

Ya, the whole not having enough spots in the outfield for your hitters, and players needing a day off from being in the field every now and then are ancillary benefits - but the reason the DH was (and is) needed is because the product sucks even more when you have someone incapable of batting coming up every 9th hitter. It ruins the flow of the game. And, my point is proven by the fact that they'll be instituting the DH in the NL soon enough, and then after you guys have your year or two of griping about it, you'll say "Wow, this is actually more watchable now"

Rather than quoting 15 different poasts, I'll just blanket reply here.

Re: Trout. I want the record to show that at no time did I ever say he wasn't the best player in baseball (he is). I merely said he didn't deserve the 2016 MVP, and he shouldn't win it this year either, because his team did (and probably will) finish below 500 and out of the playoffs. It's not the BPA (Best Player Award) it's the MVP, and it's tough to be considered that valuable to a product that sucks. If you want to give it to Trout every year, rename the award to the BPA.

Re: DH. I agree it takes the strategy out of the game, which is a bummer. But @tarheel0910 made the case that it's ruining the lower levels, which is backwards. They needed to put the DH in because pitchers' hitting was so terrible, it's not that pitchers hitting is terrible because the DH is now instituted.

Also - they need the DH to give some sort of excitement to the games. I like a pitcher's duel as much as the next guy - but if you're gonna make me sit through 3.5 hour games 162 times a year, I damn well better be seeing someone tear the cover off the ball every once in a while.

Ya, the whole not having enough spots in the outfield for your hitters, and players needing a day off from being in the field every now and then are ancillary benefits - but the reason the DH was (and is) needed is because the product sucks even more when you have someone incapable of batting coming up every 9th hitter. It ruins the flow of the game. And, my point is proven by the fact that they'll be instituting the DH in the NL soon enough, and then after you guys have your year or two of griping about it, you'll say "Wow, this is actually more watchable now"
Rather than addressing 15 different points, I'll just summarize. You're stupid and GFY

Reactions: coolwaterunc
I don't understand what comes over the Braves once it hits the 7th inning, but I like it.

WTF to Culberson's clutchness?!?!

And ugh... Vizzy time, facing Jones, Machado, and Trumbo. Hold on to your dick.

I'll almost never complain about Freeman but he is why we are gonna lose this game. Routine fuggin play and he can't even knock the ball down. Set the stage for the whole inning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT