ADVERTISEMENT

2023 RECRUITING...

Anything new on the 2023 class?

I mean Wilcher is going to be great, but don't we need several more players?

Do we need to put out more offers?

I wonder how many scholarships we’ll have available…
Five. Give or take. Just my guess.

Leaky and Nance graduate.

Armando and Caleb were supposed to be gone already, so we shouldn't expect them back.

In this modern era, a transfer out is probably more likely than not.

To me that means we should grab 2 more from the 2023 class - and more if/when players tell Hubert they are definitely leaving.

Hubert has been so successful in the portal that it's tempting to count on that source for several players, but I wouldn't want to look to the portal for more than 1 player. The portal won't always have the guy we need, and other coaches are going to get better at this aspect of recruiting.

OTOH, recruiting the portal is a 2 month job, instead of a 2 year job. From a coach's point of view, that's much more efficient and less work. Plus it's mainly after your season has ended, so you have more free time to devote to it.

Last edited:
Who is this fellow Lebbus Overton that Rivals lists with a offer?

At 6'4 240 he looks more like a FB prospect, but Rivals lists him as a SF with a BB offer.

I was listening to a podcast with Jason Jordan of SI. He said Powers or High obviously. He said UNC is Edgerrin James JR (ranked top 60) and Freddie Dillons dream school, and really want an offer.

Has anyone heard anything new on TJ Powers since he came to visit Chapel Hill and dook the next day? From what I’ve gathered it seems that he is at the top of our wish list right now.

There is an article from joe tipton about TJ and this was joes thoughts about UNC :
Duke and North Carolina are the two newcomers, but both programs grabbed him for his two most recent official visits. The way North Carolina played Brady Manek, really caught Power’s eye. He also has a lot of UNC fans in his extended family and referred to his conversation with head coach Hubert Davis as “refreshing.” He has a great deal of respect for the history of the North Carolina program, even going as far as to say “there might not be a more historic place than UNC basketball.“

Granted everything is positive in these articles for all schools and its way to easy to read to much into it. But a manek comparison and a "refreshing" convo with HD seems pretty positive

And the offer from dook was "surreal"...so now TJ may not take any more visits, he may make a decision/committment in September...so now we have dook involved to muddy the water, kid says he could see himself as a "core" player for dook as they are always playing for national championships...exsqueeze me, TJ go review the film, please. Still love to have him as a Tar Heel but if he gets enamoured of them, nevermind.

And the offer from dook was "surreal"...so now TJ may not take any more visits, he may make a decision/committment in September...so now we have dook involved to muddy the water, kid says he could see himself as a "core" player for dook as they are always playing for national championships...exsqueeze me, TJ go review the film, please. Still love to have him as a Tar Heel but if he gets enamoured of them, nevermind.
Yea im with ya, the second dook offered, i figured it was end of the UNC chances as well.. who knows. If i remember correctly didint he use the UNC and Dook visit count as his Junior year visits, with the thought being he would take more this year. But the way the article reads thats seems less likely, if hes already talking a September commitment, you got to think he knows where hes going already,

Yeah, it seems he's in no hurry to set visits for his senior year.
That and the two officials at UNC and dook, back to back to beat the junior year deadline,
he may opt to pull it sooner than later. Hope it is us.

Don't know why so many peeps want to tuck tail and run whenever puke jumps in!

1. ratty is no longer the big cheese
2. we owned them on the court and just played for a Natty!
3. We have a puncher's chance to get back to the FF
4. We're UNC and we don't take a back seat to anyone!

Now if losing interest is because a person interested in the pukies isn't our type of person.......well I could see that!

It will be an interesting courtship. I do think UNC and Duke are in the lead, both make a ton of sense for his fit. Obviously I hope he is won over by UNC, it should be an interesting courtship, as he seems enamored by the two rival suitors, much like so many others who have went on to greatness at each school has before they spurned the other.

So it seems , according to an "analyst", TJ is now leaning UNC. He also says much as our posters, that he still likes dook but it will be a process for both.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
So it seems , according to an "analyst", TJ is now leaning UNC. He also says much as our posters, that he still likes dook but it will be a process for both.
I saw that as well, his take is the three left who were on him early still have a chance, but it seems he has eyes for UNC or Duke now since they came a callin'. From what I took it as,he said each have a great match and are a dead heat for his choice, if he had to give an edge it would be UNC with the much smaller set class he would join. It does look like he will be a blue blood, just which one?

Interesting that he said college coaches he spoke with think UNC is the team to beat.

Zayden High booked a visit for Sept 30….. around the same time TJ Power said he’ll decide.
Wondering if it’s coincidence or if there are dots to connect….

Zayden High booked a visit for Sept 30….. around the same time TJ Power said he’ll decide.
Wondering if it’s coincidence or if there are dots to connect….

This worries me. Granted, I don't know how these games are played by coaches. Maybe this is to pressure one or the other to commit. But my mind immediately goes to the notion that we don't feel good about Power. And that sucks because I like the way that kid plays even if he is a slightly higher rated Tyler Nickel.

Reactions: Tom79 and TPFKAPFS
Did TJ power every decide if he was going to take more visits?
No news on visits, but he's getting crystal balled to dook on 247sports and On3 Recruiting.

He spent less than a day on his official visit to UNC in August, with no players or students on campus. Then he drove down the road and spent 2 days on dook's campus. He reportedly grew up cheering for dook and UVA.

TBH, Duke always got the dorky nerdy looking white dudes and TJ Power fits that bill perfectly. Not surprising.

Interesting that TJ did not take another official to Chapel Hill before making a decision. I know it was well documented that he wanted to visit again with the Team and students on campus.

Interesting that TJ did not take another official to Chapel Hill before making a decision. I know it was well documented that he wanted to visit again with the Team and students on campus.

They'll introduce themselves to him in a different way in about a year and a half.

I think TJ would have been a great fit, oh well, High & Brown are a interesting combo of bigs if we can pull them. Let's go !!!!!

Borderline 4 * recruit rather ride the bench for a 2-3 years at Duke then transfer after getting little playing time than actually play basketball. Hmmm, I've seen this story somewhere before...

What's up Zayden?

Will they now rename the Joey Baker Memorial Seat to the Power Place? I wonder if his backside will fit in the grooves????

So far nothing has been released or rumored, fingers crossed thou!
No he hit UNC and dook to get those visits in as junior year visits and stated he wasn't scheduling senior year visits...yet.
As one of our posters said he is probably headed to derm.

No he hit UNC and dook to get those visits in as junior year visits and stated he wasn't scheduling senior year visits...yet.
As one of our posters said he is probably headed to derm.
And he visited Chapel Hill for less than a day, and then spent twice as much time at dook.

Will be recruited over at Duke, and probably will be in the portal after his freshman season. Believe we have better options currently on our roster, and in 2024.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT