ADVERTISEMENT

2023 RECRUITING...

I don't get the angst or even surprise when puke gets a recruit????? Of course they get some, just like all P5 schools. Their cachet is vastly diminished and ours is on the rise so I am thrilled right now! They got one and we have some + we will get more soon!

Go Tar Heels!

I don't get the angst or even surprise when puke gets a recruit????? Of course they get some, just like all P5 schools. Their cachet is vastly diminished and ours is on the rise so I am thrilled right now! They got one and we have some + we will get more soon!

Go Tar Heels!
It's more about the disappointment related to UNC's 2023 stretch 4 recruiting. We have a starting spot available, we thought it was going to GG, but he BSed us, then we scrambled and offered it to Power, then dook swooped in after us and used his Fandom to get him to commit even though he likely won't play even a fraction as much his freshman year.

Why isn't Hubs' recent success in either the portal or recruiting not enough to prevent a few peeps deciding to go elsewhere from even causing disappointment? Instead, I am relaxed and positive that whomever we get will be a perfect fit AND will want to be here! I would rather have someone who wants to be a Tar Heel than a player who wants to use us as a steppingstone to the pros!

Why isn't Hubs' recent success in either the portal or recruiting not enough to prevent a few peeps deciding to go elsewhere from even causing disappointment? Instead, I am relaxed and positive that whomever we get will be a perfect fit AND will want to be here! I would rather have someone who wants to be a Tar Heel than a player who wants to use us as a steppingstone to the pros!
Great point!

Go Tar Heels!
I personally do not have an ounce of angst. We are doing very well, and I do think Power would of been a great get for us, and a great get for them.

Their cachet is just fine though, not delusional on that due to my disdain for them. Hubert is doing great, and Dook is doing great as well recruiting.

I am just perplexed as to how dook keeps landing these 5* and the rat is gone. Even sh**face is bringing them in by the handful. Makes it even more fun as we continue to spank their butts.

puke's cachet will wane as Face proves he is not the rat! It won't drop off a precipice but losing to us and not winning Natty's will combine with the rat fading into the sunset to negatively impact their influence on the minds of impressionable youth. It will take time, but it will happen! OR Face will prove capable and manage to keep them relevant, but the days of them outshining UNC are gone IMO!

I am just perplexed as to how dook keeps landing these 5* and the rat is gone. Even sh**face is bringing them in by the handful. Makes it even more fun as we continue to spank their butts.
We know Zion and Bagley's recruitments were bought. We can assume that now with NIL, other recruits will be bought "legally."

Even though the NCAA says it is impermissible to offer NIL inducements to attend a specific school.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
We know Zion and Bagley's recruitments were bought. We can assume that now with NIL, other recruits will be bought "legally."

Even though the NCAA says it is impermissible to offer NIL inducements to attend a specific school.
Ok with our alumni base we should be able to buy anyone we want. Just saying

Reactions: OldSchoo01
Ok with our alumni base we should be able to buy anyone we want. Just saying
You're making a couple big assumptions there:

1. That our alumni want to risk breaking NCAA rules after watching the program suffer under an NCAA investigation that lasted nearly a decade.

2. That you know what our alumni want to spend their personal wealth on.

We lost GG Jackson because his mom spent a month meeting with South Carolina boosters, gathering up NIL deals that reportedly total up to be around $3 million. Now aside from that being clearly in violation of the one rule the NCAA has firmly set on the NIL deals, I never even heard a whisper from Ram's Club members about NIL deals to counter what South Carolina was offering. So I don't get the impression we have alumni doing the dirty work on the recruiting trail.

Now I'm not above getting down in the dirt to even the playing field on the recruiting trail. But alas my contributions to UNC have been light in recent years and I don't have millions to spend each year on one-and-dones. But if you so, I thoroughly encourage you to focus on a big man and a point guard for 2024.

• Haha
Reactions: TPFKAPFS and dlew71
Some still haven't figured out that recruiting 5 star OAD freshmen is the old way of doing business. Building an experienced core and adding portal guys at position(s) of need is the new way, and Hubert is on it!

Reactions: Tom79
You're making a couple big assumptions there:

1. That our alumni want to risk breaking NCAA rules after watching the program suffer under an NCAA investigation that lasted nearly a decade.

2. That you know what our alumni want to spend their personal wealth on.

We lost GG Jackson because his mom spent a month meeting with South Carolina boosters, gathering up NIL deals that reportedly total up to be around $3 million. Now aside from that being clearly in violation of the one rule the NCAA has firmly set on the NIL deals, I never even heard a whisper from Ram's Club members about NIL deals to counter what South Carolina was offering. So I don't get the impression we have alumni doing the dirty work on the recruiting trail.

Now I'm not above getting down in the dirt to even the playing field on the recruiting trail. But alas my contributions to UNC have been light in recent years and I don't have millions to spend each year on one-and-dones. But if you so, I thoroughly encourage you to focus on a big man and a point guard for 2024.
No assumptions just saying if everyone else is paying for so called endorsements then why can’t we….it’s just a question btw. Sick of those bastards getting all the talent. But I guess all the talent hasn’t helped win any nattys. The personal wealth as you say it’s not like some of them don’t waste money already. Like I said though this was just a question. Kinda like if everyone is paying for recruits then join the game.

Reactions: trimbornunc86
Hard to be angry at any youngster who takes a 3 million dollar offer IMO. If it violates the rules I wouldn't offer it and I don't want UNC involved. But my family would consider it long and hard ourselves!

With the portal in place it really changes the recruiting game, great example is GG. Now yeah sure, we all, myself for sure included, were really excited to get the #1 rated player in his class (what he was when he committed to us). But Mr #1 went away and rather than have to deal with a GG reclass, we get a kid (Nance) MUCH more ready to play at this level and proven to be a player at this level. In other words, we traded GG for Nance and we won HUGE in that trade. GG Jackson as a college Jr would be a heck of a player, assuming expected development, but GG right now is a 6'9" 205 power forward that isn't what you expect if you think he is a stretch 4 today. He is not a inside banger right now and he isn't Brady Manek by any stretch, he is a guy that I don't think would have played much this coming season yet Nance not only will play a ton is expected to start for us.

My point is the portal gave us a better player than the recruiting did, a better player now today. Now down the line a few years very different story but I do wonder how many really expect GG to be in the college game as a college Jr? I actually do see him in college as a Jr because that body has to fil out and those natural gifts do have to be refined. Hubert has mined the portal for gold last 2 cycles by getting Manek and Nance, why would I not expect him to be able to do so after this coming season? The question with GG si wil he wait until his ability to play on the NBA level arises or is he one and done by plan? Telling you now, if that kid goes 1&D he will cost himself huge money and it seems he and his family are hell bent of getting him in to the next NBA draft, the game cocks can have that nonsense, tell me it was worth it in the end! Nance may not make it in the NBA either but the better player NEXT season IMO will not be a close call, it will be Nance all day. Portal wins!

Didn't care to start a thread on this but Jalen Washington has been cleared for basketball activities.
Hubert said "he's the best shooting big man I've seen", good news for the Heels.
If he can stay healthy, he'll be a ridiculously good player. He's basically a combination of John Henson's size and Jawad Williams' shooting. But he'll probably play primarily at the 5 spot.

If he can stay healthy, he'll be a ridiculously good player. He's basically a combination of John Henson's size and Jawad Williams' shooting. But he'll probably play primarily at the 5 spot.
I can’t see him staying on campus very long if he’s stuck at the 5. I read that during his recruitment he was sold on not having to be a 5 and that was key in his commitment.

I can’t see him staying on campus very long if he’s stuck at the 5. I read that during his recruitment he was sold on not having to be a 5 and that was key in his commitment.
He won't be a 5 on offense. He's a face-up player. That isn't going to change.

He's a 5 on defense for a couple reasons. One being he's 6'10" with a 7'4" wingspan, so you want him protecting the paint. The other reason is you don't want to ask a guy with a twice-reconstructed knee to go chase the modern comboforwards out around the perimeter, constantly cutting on that knee to navigate screens.

Call him a stretch 5 if you want. He's the guy most likely to replace Bacot as our starting center whenever Bacot leaves.

If he’s that good, Hubert will have options to build around him: see how shaver delivers as a low post player, keep recruiting to fill the need, or go out and find a bruise in the portal.

Agree though, with that length, Washington could develop into a very useful paint protector.

He won't be a 5 on offense. He's a face-up player. That isn't going to change.

He's a 5 on defense for a couple reasons. One being he's 6'10" with a 7'4" wingspan, so you want him protecting the paint. The other reason is you don't want to ask a guy with a twice-reconstructed knee to go chase the modern comboforwards out around the perimeter, constantly cutting on that knee to navigate screens.

Call him a stretch 5 if you want. He's the guy most likely to replace Bacot as our starting center whenever Bacot leaves.

Was Hubs including Manek as a Big with that statement??? In any case, everytime we get news about this team, it appears we get stronger! The combo of Nance and Washington fill all of our holes, improve our interior D, add versatility in our Bigs and replace the scoring load that Manek left. 2 deep at all other spots and we are seriously scary!

Reactions: Tom79
Zayden enjoying his weekend…. Probably liked the football too!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2023 PF Zayden High seems to be enjoying his <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UNC?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#UNC</a> official visit so far via Tik Tok. (<a href="https://twitter.com/zayy23den?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@zayy23den</a>) <a href="https://t.co/qmaM9EbIQB">pic.twitter.com/qmaM9EbIQB</a></p>&mdash; Jarrod (@jhardy575) <a href="">September 30, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Curious because I can't remember the last time UNC had a bad recruiting visit! With the majesty of the DES and the star power and the winning and the fanatical support and the rafters and team camaraderie and Hubs and etc; I really don't see how it can go badly!

Peeps do choose to go to other places (most of them knew that when they came and are still blown away) but they still have a great time!

Join the Family Mr. High
We'll help you go even "Higher!"

The only "negative" I can find is that he called it a good visit rather than great.

Seems like Carolina will definitely be in his top 5 that he is releasing today and should be in the mix to land him.

Oh my God!......a youngster didn't show enthusiasm! Whoda thunk it!

Join the Family, Mr. High!

We'll take you higher!

Reactions: Heels5150
Curious because I can't remember the last time UNC had a bad recruiting visit! With the majesty of the DES and the star power and the winning and the fanatical support and the rafters and team camaraderie and Hubs and etc; I really don't see how it can go badly!

Peeps do choose to go to other places (most of them knew that when they came and are still blown away) but they still have a great time!

Join the Family Mr. High
We'll help you go even "Higher!"

Josh Green and Jeremiah Robinson-Earl the same weekend.

I think both were ready to leave well before the visit was scheduled to end. I might be mistaken but that's the way I remember it.

Josh Green had "oth$r" distractions back home.
Robinson-Earl mother wasn't letting him come here period.

This recruitment may not last much longer
I never understand people posting info about recruiting or whatever and they throw out cryptic and vague information about the subject. Only for them to ignore follow ups and explain what they are referring too. It gets irritating to say the least. Anyway, thx FlaTarHeel and Travis for your insight as always! Hope you guys are doing well! GDTBATH

Doesn't sound like the visit went as good as we'd hoped.
Not so fast my friend:
Four-star forward Zayden High is down to Michigan, Villanova, North Carolina, Arkansas, and Texas, he announced Monday. "This weekend I went on an official visit to UNC. Coach (Hubert) Davis and Sean May went out of their way to make sure my sister and family were OK. It was just pure love. That was probably the best visit I’ve been on so far."

I recall another recruit leaving hours or a day before their visit was completed. Maybe Zeke Nnaji? His whole 11th hour visit was such a dog and pony show anyway.

Per Zayden "That was probably the best visit I’ve been on so far."

So much for it didnt go well..
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said "it didn't go well." I said it "didn't go as good as we expected," because it didn't. The expectation amongst the staff was he'd get to see Live Action on Friday, get blown away by the visit to his dream school, and he'd commit before leaving (or at least decide he didn't need any more visits.) Instead Live Action got postponed, he hung out more with his family than the players, and he left without committing and is reportedly still considering using his other official visits.

That doesn't mean he had a bad visit. That doesn't mean UNC won't get him. It just means the visit did not go as well as the staff had planned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT