ADVERTISEMENT

Any recruiting news?

I’ve been away from the board for a month or so and was hoping to come back to some big news. Well that doesn’t seem to be the case. It appears we are still getting the average three star guys and missing out on some areas of need (Clark for one).

I’m pulling for fedora and his staff but I’m really starting to wonder if they are going to be able to get it done. I thought the hiring of thig was going to land us some top notch talent. Am I missing something?

Just wondering who else have we missed on? I’ve heard that lil Carolina is doing good in recruiting this year.

Just looked over moo’s commitment list and after being gone for a while I see where they have landed at least 4 guys we were pretty high on. It seemed that most of them were very interested in us too if not a lean to us. What crap are they selling over there?

I covered N.C. State for almost as long as I've covered UNC and that's just not entirely true. The state student section almost always had empty seats for non-ACC games and league games when the team was late in a bad season. It wasn't the aluminum jungle that Kenan has been, but considering State is a larger school and is 60-40 male versus female and UNC is 60-40 female, I wouldn't say it's support is significantly greater among the students. Where State's support trumps Carolina's is with the older alums who sit through inclement weather and bad seasons filling their parts of the lower sections more than Carolina's do. Also, they are simply louder and can often be a 12th man.
Moo also has a larger % of alums than UNC does who live in NC and/or within a 4 hour drive of the stadium. That matters.

recruiting is about building relationships and this year is the rotten fruit of the ncaa witch hunt, waiting for the ax to fall, potent ammo for rival recruiters to use against us before the truth came out (i.e., no infractions, just abc'ers trying to hurt our recruiting, which they did.). how long it will take us to bounce back from the witch hunt, and whether fedora can do it, these are the questions....

Right now the biggest struggle with recruiting is getting past the memory of 2017. The test for Fed and his staff this season is whether or not they can put together a solid year with the current roster and establish a positive narrative. We'll do much better recruiting after an 8-4/9-3 season than a 4-8 season.

you can imagine other schools are saying - 3-9 season, fed on hot seat, terrible defense every year, can't keep guys healthy, reducing stadium capacity, little and quiet fanbase, ... remember it doesn't have to be true, they can say anything

Reactions: Raising Heel
UNC has more resources than moo ever will... So that's not an excuse to me. We simply can't lose instate recruiting to them, or anyone else for that matter
I agree that we should not accept it, with this caveat. If Moo is landing a string of 4* NC recruits, and we land comparable players from elsewhere, then it is much less a big deal that if Moo gets the NC 4*s and we get only low 3* recruits.

I agree that we should not accept it, with this caveat. If Moo is landing a string of 4* NC recruits, and we land comparable players from elsewhere, then it is much less a big deal that if Moo gets the NC 4*s and we get only low 3* recruits.
Which is happening. Is it not?

Which is happening. Is it not?
Yes, that pretty much sums it. That's the reason that losing Wilson to Moo was a huge blow It doubled the perception among fans of ACC area football as well as people involved with NC HS football that Doeren and Moo may be moving up while UNC is moving down.

If those assessments among people continue, they will make very hard for UNC to recruit.

How you handle that problem is the key.

Supposedly, Tennessee signee Brant Lawless, a 4* DT, is not enrolling in Knoxville and may want to go to UNC.

We need young DT talent, so Lawless choosing Carolina Blue would be great.

No matter his stars, I think he would need a redshirt year. He played at Nashville Christian, which is a small private school. Lawless's competition was not much.

That he attended Nashville Christian says that his family almost certainly is straight arrow, demanding that he make his grades and always conduct himself properly - Nashville Christian is regarded as among the most conservative church schools in the area.

Supposedly, Tennessee signee Brant Lawless, a 4* DT, is not enrolling in Knoxville and may want to go to UNC.

We need young DT talent, so Lawless choosing Carolina Blue would be great.

No matter his stars, I think he would need a redshirt year. He played at Nashville Christian, which is a small private school. Lawless's competition was not much.

That he attended Nashville Christian says that his family almost certainly is straight arrow, demanding that he make his grades and always conduct himself properly - Nashville Christian is regarded as among the most conservative church schools in the area.
There are grade concerns. He is on campus right now the hope is he hears back from admissions before the weekend is up. Otherwise he may be ole Miss bound

There are grade concerns. He is on campus right now the hope is he hears back from admissions before the weekend is up. Otherwise he may be ole Miss bound
Ole Miss does have a history of admitting players we can't.

If he has grade issues that caused trouble with getting into Tennessee, I don't expect him to be admitted to UNC.

Ole Miss does have a history of admitting players we can't.

If he has grade issues that caused trouble with getting into Tennessee, I don't expect him to be admitted to UNC.
He got into Tennessee by the skin of his teeth, and from what I hear didn't like the new coaching staff

He got into Tennessee by the skin of his teeth, and from what I hear didn't like the new coaching staff
That last is the part I heard when I asked - I am from TN.

It is possible that he went to that church school and struggled academically, because it is known for its church observance, not for academic excellence and large numbers of kids going to Vanderbilt and Sewanee. So that means that students who may have academic issues but come from deeply religious families and are themselves good kids, are going to graduate.

And if he is that kind kid with that family background, he is well worth risk with academic issues. Because he is likely to keep his nose clean and work, both on the field and at school work in order to remain eligible and move toward eventual graduation.

So when I asked what a cousin near Nashville who follows area HS football closely knew, he said that Lawless was not happy about the coaching change and that someone in his family was more than unhappy with the change.

That last is the part I heard when I asked - I am from TN.

It is possible that he went to that church school and struggled academically, because it is known for its church observance, not for academic excellence and large numbers of kids going to Vanderbilt and Sewanee. So that means that students who may have academic issues but come from deeply religious families and are themselves good kids, are going to graduate.

And if he is that kind kid with that family background, he is well worth risk with academic issues. Because he is likely to keep his nose clean and work, both on the field and at school work in order to remain eligible and move toward eventual graduation.

So when I asked what a cousin near Nashville who follows area HS football closely knew, he said that Lawless was not happy about the coaching change and that someone in his family was more than unhappy with the change.
I didn't know all the specifics because I live here in eastern NC but I did hear he really didn't like the new coaches. I didn't know family also felt the same way

Emory Simmons just decommited and then committed to Penn State. Selling h playing time at a stacked position was always gonna be tough, but him going to the opening was not good for us... Now all the big time football schools know he is a 4* not a 3

Yeah people using that 3-9 record as some kind of soccer drum is killing us. And TBH I would use it too. Injuries aside last yr was a brutal yr.

Emory Simmons just decommited and then committed to Penn State. Selling h playing time at a stacked position was always gonna be tough, but him going to the opening was not good for us... Now all the big time football schools know he is a 4* not a 3
Supposedly the Fed spread is good for WRs. And PSU lost its OC to Miss St (new HC). So, my guess is that losing Brewer is already hurting.

Wonder if moou and other people are saying look the NCAA is back in chapel Hill the football team is gonna get hit again. With the caveat of I don't know if it's true that's just what I heard

i'm afraid there is more going on than our bad year last year.
something doesn't smell right.
a 3-9 season is such a disaster that i don't see a need for further explanation. the excuse about injuries won't help much with recruiting, because kids may be reluctant to play for a coach who's jinxed with an epidemic of injuries.

Lawless, former TN 4* DL recruit is waiting on UNC admissions from what I'm told

Lawless, former TN 4* DL recruit is waiting on UNC admissions from what I'm told
As I've said. based on his HS, my guess is that his family is the type to push him to do schoolwork and be responsible in all things. That makes him a better bet academically than a player whose family is almost certainly nonchalant or worse regarding grades.

As I've said. based on his HS, my guess is that his family is the type to push him to do schoolwork and be responsible in all things. That makes him a better bet academically than a player whose family is almost certainly nonchalant or worse regarding grades.

Didn't see your post, Woad. Thanks.

@WoadBlue, @heelbent, finally some good news Lawless qualifies, clears, and enrolls at UNC; we badly needed this shot in the arm as no dt's have committed, and infact chose state this recruiting cycle

Last edited:
@WoadBlue, @heelbent, finally some good news Lawless qualifies, clears, and enrolls at UNC; we badly needed this shot in the arm as not dt's have committed, and infact chose state this recruiting cycle
Yes - getting a 4* recruit on D is a big deal. A 4* DT is even better.

Thigpen pulled this one off. He is a top notch recruiter.

Good news finally...At a position of need as well...Have just got to keep the DT in school now...Seems like we lose 1 every year for grades...And most kids at that position need at least a year or 2 to mature...

We have a commitment from 6-4 270 Asim Richards. In HS, he plays TE and DL, but Kapilovic wants to make an OT, because of his athleticism at that size.

OK - but don't we need size and athleticism on the DL? We haven't exactly been signing DTs and large DEs at record pace.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT