ADVERTISEMENT

Any recruiting news?

this is a key point in recruiting nowadays. people wonder why 4-star players go to schools where there are other 4-stars at their position, this is one reason -- they know they won't have to play non-stop for four years and be worn down and likely injured before they get to the nfl.
Recruits want to play period. This line of thinking is absurd.

Reactions: matt 1976
But isn’t the knock on our guys that they are smaller and undersized?

The knocks on our players aren’t going to be fixed by maxing out throughout the football season.

But regardless no one should be maxing out unless it’s the ones redshirting and the only way they’d see the field is because of injuries. In season isn’t when you improve it’s when you maintain what you achieved in the off-season.

Lol we just lokst our first, second, and third choice for qb to other schools... Recruiting is going swell.... Not
I think Ruder is our QB for the foreseeable future. Not really worried about QB right now.

ETA: BTW, his dad posts on this board, so be careful what you say.

Maxing out in weight lifting. Even high school coaches know this a big no no.
That they did this was a rumor right?

The stuff from our weight-training coaches didn't stop MJ Stewart from second-round pick, Nazair from 3rd round pick, Switzer and Logan mid-rounds, etc, guys like Cayson Collins getting special teams jobs, all the OL getting paid, etc.

Reactions: ticket2ride04

The stuff from our weight-training coaches didn't stop MJ Stewart from second-round pick, Nazair from 3rd round pick, Switzer and Logan mid-rounds, etc, guys like Cayson Collins getting special teams jobs, all the OL getting paid, etc.
No it wasn't a rumer the guys that cover the football team confirmed it on multiple podcast.

Anybody have links to those podcasts? I don't remember ever hearing anything like this. Would be interested to know more about what they meant by maxing out and what time of year it was happening. Something just doesn't feel right about this thread.

Anybody have links to those podcasts? I don't remember ever hearing anything like this. Would be interested to know more about what they meant by maxing out and what time of year it was happening. Something just doesn't feel right about this thread.
They are from TOS feel free to go on Google play and look through the archives from last season I promise it is there. Start at September 20 and go from there the podcast are approximately 30 minutes a piece. You will come on it. Jones Angell (voice of the tar heels) also discussed on the Carolinas insider if maybe maxing out during season was some of the cause for injuries. Although to be fair at that point I think we all were just in shock from all the I juries happening to these young men.

Last edited:
The knocks on our players aren’t going to be fixed by maxing out throughout the football season.

But regardless no one should be maxing out unless it’s the ones redshirting and the only way they’d see the field is because of injuries. In season isn’t when you improve it’s when you maintain what you achieved in the off-season.
Add to this fedora wants a leaner team thanost alah TCU or OK state

So are they maxing out or leaning up? Which is it?

Reactions: blazers
They are from TOS feel free to go on Google play and look through the archives from last season I promise it is there. Start at September 20 and go from there the podcast are approximately 30 minutes a piece. You will come on it. Jones Angell (voice of the tar heels) also discussed on the Carolinas insider if maybe maxing out during season was some of the cause for injuries. Although to be fair at that point I think we all were just in shock from all the I juries happening to these young men.
I listen to all the podcasts here as well at IC, and I don't recall this.
Are you saying it was on the jones angel pod or the IC one or what?

I listen to all the podcasts here as well at IC, and I don't recall this.
Are you saying it was on the jones angel pod or the IC one or what?
I know for a fact Angell made a statement about maxing out during the season. He said and this is from memory so It won't be verbatim but it went something like... Man all these injuries are just crazy no we have people questioning stretnth and conditioning because apparently they are maxing out during the season. He said something to the effect of that, and went on to say that he wasn't saying the conditioning program was doing anything wrong. People are looking for a reason for all the injuries.

I also heard on the tos podcast where one of the host questioned maxing out during season. Saying the team didn't need to do that. They went on to sayif they were Fedora needed to put a stop to it.
To answer another question fedora wanted to get lean and strong. So I'm essence both. Which maybe why there was maxing even during season. Idk I. Not a coach. Just k ow from people that covered the team that maxing out happened during season.

I know for a fact Angell made a statement about maxing out during the season. He said and this is from memory so It won't be verbatim but it went something like... Man all these injuries are just crazy no we have people questioning stretnth and conditioning because apparently they are maxing out during the season. He said something to the effect of that, and went on to say that he wasn't saying the conditioning program was doing anything wrong. People are looking for a reason for all the injuries.

I also heard on the tos podcast where one of the host questioned maxing out during season. Saying the team didn't need to do that. They went on to sayif they were Fedora needed to put a stop to it.
To answer another question fedora wanted to get lean and strong. So I'm essence both. Which maybe why there was maxing even during season. Idk I. Not a coach. Just k ow from people that covered the team that maxing out happened during season.
A link would help your cause

A link would help your cause
When I have more than a minute I will look for it And poast the link when I finally find it. It won't be until after 7 I work a 12 hr shift today. And even though Mondays are notoriously slow I still have papers to serve and reports to do. Will this work for everyone. And if I can't find it that I will just concede that maybe I heard wrong

Last edited:
When I haveore then a minute I will look for it And poast the link when I finally figured d it. It won't be until after 7 I work a 12 hr shift today. And even though Mondays are notoriously slow I still have papers to serve and reports to do. Will this work for everyone. And if I can't find it that I will just concede that maybe I heard wrong
that would be awesome

Another 4* to the wolpfack... Anyone else ready to hit the panic button on recruiting c.j Clark pops for the pack now that is not the way I wanted to end my lunch break... Now I need to find a state fan and write a ticket. I am of course kidding

No it was confirmed by the Inside Carolina staff and i do believe raider is right in saying The Carolina Insider mentioned it too. Give me a little while and I’ll find where they talked about it on IC

Another 4* to the wolpfack... Anyone else ready to hit the panic button on recruiting c.j Clark pops for the pack now that is not the way I wanted to end my lunch break... Now I need to find a state fan and write a ticket. I am of course kidding

Don't matter he would have left or been kicked out of UNC within 2 years...It's what we do with DT...

13 commits for State in 2019... 2 4* and 11 3*?? I wouldn’t say they doing a whole lot better

Ok guys I found it. It's the Sept 24 podcast of inside Carolina start at the 14:50 mark and Callahan clearly says that the guys were being asked IN SEASON to max out weekly. I will find the Carolina insider one as well. But the guys that cover the team clearly said at approximately the 15:03 mark that in season the guys were being asked to max out. The name of the podcast is the aftermath after loss to dook. @blazers, @riverswe and @ticket2ride04, thanks @WhitePhantoms for having my back on this.

Last edited:
Ok guys I found it. It's the Sept 24 podcast of inside Carolina start at the 14:50 mark and Callahan clearly says that the guys were being asked IN SEASON to max out weekly. I will find the Carolina insider one as well. But the guys that cover the team clearly said at approximately the 15:03 mark that in season the guys were being asked to max out. The name of the podcast is the aftermath after loss to dook. @blazers, @riverswe and @ticket2ride04, thanks @WhitePhantoms for having my back on this.
Thanks for sharing. I found the link and posted it below. Musing on a podcast hardly counts as a report and I don’t know who Buck and Jason are. How much credibility do they have? Has it been reported elsewhere? I’d like someone with credentials like @andrew jones to weigh in on the issue of players maxing out.

Link to Podcast

Thanks for sharing. I found the link and posted it below. Musing on a podcast hardly counts as a report and I don’t know who Buck and Jason are. How much credibility do they have? Has it been reported elsewhere? I’d like someone with credentials like @andrew jones to weigh in on the issue of players maxing out.

Link to Podcast
Those two guys are around the team and cover them for ic that was not missing that was stated as fact

I don't know how much maxing out is helping or hurting - doubt it's the major issue with the team. We have all been questioning the S&C program for a while now.

I don't know how much maxing out is helping or hurting - doubt it's the major issue with the team. We have all been questioning the S&C program for a while now.
I would say the play calling and defensive line is hurting us more than anything else.

Reactions: riverswe

Link to Podcast

I don't know who Jason is and Buck owns IC but is rarely around the team, but that doesn't mean he isn't right. He's very clued in and has been for nearly two decades when he took over.

I can say that there are concerns that the players are pushed too hard, and one of the things Chizik did when he came on board was scale that down some. But when he left it changed and the guys have had to do more since.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
There's probably multiple things working together to explain our defensive issues. Maxing out or pushing weights too hard during the season could very well be part of the problem. Being undersized somewhat (without having the nasty attitude to make up for it) probably doesn't help either. Our defensive substitutions are odd - we continually run guys in and out (understand that somewhat) but our substitutions patters don't seem well thought out (more reactionary). We don't sub at LB very well or often. Understand that depth has seemingly been a problem but you also have to develop depth. When 10 went out last season I thought we were in real trouble by 23 stepped in and we didn't really miss a beat (not that we were that good but we weren't worse). Add to that the inability to recruit well on defense and possibly not developing defensive players adequately and you have what we have on defense - an issue. Little tweaks will not fix our defensive problem, otherwise Chizik would have gotten it done. We need to rethink our defensive strategy: recruiting, player development, substitutions, etc. and communicate an renewed commitment to defense in order to improve. Might mean swallowing some pride but also might mean becoming a better team.

There's probably multiple things working together to explain our defensive issues. Maxing out or pushing weights too hard during the season could very well be part of the problem. Being undersized somewhat (without having the nasty attitude to make up for it) probably doesn't help either. Our defensive substitutions are odd - we continually run guys in and out (understand that somewhat) but our substitutions patters don't seem well thought out (more reactionary). We don't sub at LB very well or often. Understand that depth has seemingly been a problem but you also have to develop depth. When 10 went out last season I thought we were in real trouble by 23 stepped in and we didn't really miss a beat (not that we were that good but we weren't worse). Add to that the inability to recruit well on defense and possibly not developing defensive players adequately and you have what we have on defense - an issue. Little tweaks will not fix our defensive problem, otherwise Chizik would have gotten it done. We need to rethink our defensive strategy: recruiting, player development, substitutions, etc. and communicate an renewed commitment to defense in order to improve. Might mean swallowing some pride but also might mean becoming a better team.

You make some good points. At LB, JP doesn't like to sub there, and even though Ekeler is the LB coach now, it's still JP's defense... The sub patters are kind of odd, though I thought were better a year ago. They sub the DL in fours and usually every few snaps, one thing is I'd like to see some guys stay out there a few more snaps if they are the better player and sub more situationally at other spots... The undersized things has changed. When they used a 4-2-5 they often had more guys on the field that weighed less than 200 pounds than they had guys on the field that weighed more than 200 pounds. The 70-41 loss at ECU may have been the game with the highest percentage of defensive reps in which that was the case.

Reactions: tarheel0910
You make some good points. At LB, JP doesn't like to sub there, and even though Ekeler is the LB coach now, it's still JP's defense... The sub patters are kind of odd, though I thought were better a year ago. They sub the DL in fours and usually every few snaps, one thing is I'd like to see some guys stay out there a few more snaps if they are the better player and sub more situationally at other spots... The undersized things has changed. When they used a 4-2-5 they often had more guys on the field that weighed less than 200 pounds than they had guys on the field that weighed more than 200 pounds. The 70-41 loss at ECU may have been the game with the highest percentage of defensive reps in which that was the case.
The bigs we had were either young (Nazair) weren't very talented, or were tweeners (powell/rogers).
Justin Thomason was a starting DT at 275 lbs. And I think he was backed up by 270 pound Jessie Rogers, undersized true frosh Tyler Powell, and 280 pound Nazair. Even if we wanted to play bigger people, I don't think they were on the roster. The biggest DE was 255 lb soph Mickey Bart.

End of the day UNC no longer cares about Big Time Sports...When Roy retires you will see the same thing happen to basketball...In the next 10 years UNC will be Wake Forest...Sad but true....

I will tell you something else...When Doren took over at state and they were going 0-8 and 2-6 in the league...The Students would be lined outside the gate waiting to get in....We don't have that and that's a fact...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT