ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs VT gamethread

AJ should ban me before I really start going in on these f*cking pansies that are for some stupid reason allowed to dress out in Carolina Blue.

I mean who the f*ck is this dude at center? I don't even pay that much attention to the O-line most of the time and I repeatedly watched him completely whiff on what could vaguely be construed as attempted blocks.
Hey... considering the crowd noise, they only had about 3 false starts.

Reactions: UNCPJH81
16 year old @uncboy10 playing NCAAF on PS2 was a better play caller and game manager than anyone on the sideline for UNC

That's what concerns me. Longo had the reputation of not being very creative when we hired him. Searels didn't have a great reputation either for recruiting or developing OL. Our skill guys covered up a lot of weaknesses last year.

I would try the second stringers next game and just see how they perform. I realize it’s not the same level of competition but what the heck

AJ should ban me before I really start going in on these f*cking pansies that are for some stupid reason allowed to dress out in Carolina Blue.

I mean who the f*ck is this dude at center? I don't even pay that much attention to the O-line most of the time and I repeatedly watched him completely whiff on what could vaguely be construed as attempted blocks.
I think a turn-style would be jealous of his performance tonight, honestly.

Reactions: uncboy10
Anybody ever watch Clemson's receivers compete for a 50/50 ball? Those dudes have talent. We have one pretty good WR and a QB that spends 22 minutes (that's all the TOP we can apparently get) running for his life because our offensive line is worse than the dogshit group of fat f*cks my HS coach put in front of me back in the glory days.

That's what concerns me. Longo had the reputation of not being very creative when we hired him. Searels didn't have a great reputation either for recruiting or developing OL. Our skill guys covered up a lot of weaknesses last year.

His lack of creativity is astounding. All you have to do is watch literally any other college football team to realize he's a moron that relies on an overly simplistic scheme that is entirely dependent on having better athletes at every single position. Take that away and he's f*cking useless

Gonna say there should once again be wide open competition at all positions because no one played like they are entrenched as first or second string but maybe downs and Sam by default although he made some stupid plays as well. Yes I realize that was a long sentence and may have needed punctuation but oh well.

VT isn't even a good football team. How the f*ck do we put up 10 f*cking point with a f*cking "heisman candidate" QB. Is metallica and a bunch of middle aged dudes dressed up as turkeys really supposed to constitute an intimidating atmosphere? WTF is wrong with this f*cking program

• Haha
Reactions: Cavgator
Gonna say there should once again be wide open competition at all positions because no one played like they are entrenched as first or second string but maybe downs and Sam by default although he made some stupid plays as well. Yes I realize that was a long sentence and may have needed punctuation but oh well.

At this point, we might as well be back to preparing for the future. Give Drake as many snaps as humanly possible because Sam's career here won't amount to a damn thing.

Maybe Sam can be the Tahj Boyd of Carolina football. He can't be the Deshaun Watson unless he comes back next year.

I missed this play away from the TV.. can you explain what happened.

He has inside position for an easy reception for a first down and let the defender go full on Dennis Rodman on his soft @ss and take the ball for a pick.

Imagine Julius Peppers sitting on his couch somewhere trying to imagine how the f*ck he played for the same school as some of these f*cking pansies.

• Haha
Reactions: strummingram
ok..thanks

84774038.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
Anyone think there are any voters stupid enough to give us any votes next week? There's no reason we should be ranked, but I think some voters don't won't to admit they ****ed up, so we'll be in the 20-25 range.

Anyone think there are any voters stupid enough to give us any votes next week? There's no reason we should be ranked, but I think some voters don't won't to admit they ****ed up, so we'll be in the 20-25 range.
It will be difficult to drop 15 places in one week.

I'm not sure about the GSU game... but, if we lay an egg at home against UVA, we're gone for the season. It's just a matter of time, however. Unless they were playing in some kind of fog, and come out and win from here on out, it's a 7-5 kinda year, at best.

Oh, and VT also has to perform well for the rest of THEIR season, or the loss looks even worse.

Reactions: UNCPJH81
just need to own the fact we will forever be a 2-3 loss team in our very best year ever in football. we will have to just be content with 4 and 5 loss seasons.

Well actually we only lost one game that one time...

So that's not technically out of the cards

woo-whoo.jpg

just need to own the fact we will forever be a 2-3 loss team in our very best year ever in football. we will have to just be content with 4 and 5 loss seasons.
We might eek-out fluke seasons like the Fedora high-tide with Marquise, from time-to-time. But, a perennial contender? Nope!

Any up-n-coming coach that could get UNC to that level, would get plucked by the real football schools eventually... just like Mack Brown was plucked in 1997.

Brown is past his prime. Everyone knows it. His coordinators are inept. They've proven that beyond any doubt. Mack Brown helped recruiting, but, that only goes so far. Add to that the fact that players will quit on you when you go to big bowls, and it's even more frustrating. We're never going to be Clemson or OSU or Alabama.

So listening to lots of you what should we do with the coaching situation? Hire a coach in waiting? Get rid of coordinators?

So listening to lots of you what should we do with the coaching situation? Hire a coach in waiting? Get rid of coordinators?
Coordinators definitely need to go, but not sure it's something that can be done before the year is up.

Longo definitely needs to go. And after this year would be the perfect time to make that move since we'll be breaking in a new QB anyways.

If you look at Bateman's halftime adjustments, he did exactly what I hoped for today. The defense looked completely different in the second half. Obviously it was the same personnel. The only thing that changed was coaching. Not sure if that's a reflection of poor preparation going into the week, or really impressive halftime adjustments, but I personally think he's a much better coordinator than Longo.

If you told me VT would only score 17, I would've bet the farm on a win.

UNC Football is a lot like "Michigan Frog" from the Looney Tunes cartoon.

They tempt you with greatness, but when the curtain rises and the show is on-the-line? You get this:

michigan-frog.gif

michigan_j_frog.gif

Longo definitely needs to go. And after this year would be the perfect time to make that move since we'll be breaking in a new QB anyways.

If you look at Bateman's halftime adjustments, he did exactly what I hoped for today. The defense looked completely different in the second half. Obviously it was the same personnel. The only thing that changed was coaching. Not sure if that's a reflection of poor preparation going into the week, or really impressive halftime adjustments, but I personally think he's a much better coordinator than Longo.

I don't think people realized just how much those star players from last year made the offense so powerful. Corrales can't get healthy, either.

No running threat, no proven receivers, horrible protection... just Sam. And, he has his bad habit of never throwing it away when the play is busted. He's running for his life. Longo isn't any good, but they don't have the play-makers. Or, if they do, they weren't making any plays against VT. It's not often that UNC only scores 10 points.

I'm kind of tired of the whole "Bateman made great adjustments" line. Great coordinators can coach a whole game instead of just half of one. And we were lucky that they only scored 17. It should have at least been 24, but the fumble bailed us out. Of course, that should still be good enough for the offense to beat. Longo is just terrible.

Reactions: strummingram
I'm kind of tired of the whole "Bateman made great adjustments" line. Great coordinators can coach a whole game instead of just half of one. And we were lucky that they only scored 17. It should have at least been 24, but the fumble bailed us out. Of course, that should still be good enough for the offense to beat. Longo is just terrible.

gcMIRgl.gif

If it hadn't been for that first fumble, they'd have scored at least 7 more in the first half. The game was lost in the first half, in my opinion.

It's troubling to acknowledge, but... we got no offense!

We need to admit carter and williams must have been really special players. To do what they did and accomplish what they did behind this oline has to be amazing.
Yup. And Dazz and Dyami too. Sam threw a dime to the end zone that Simmons (at least I think it was Simmons) dropped. It’s a play Dazz and Dyami make 90% of the time last year. Outside of Downs it may be a long season with that position group.

Searels has been the biggest disappointment. You could kind of hear the frustration in Mack's post game comments. We're making the same mistakes we did last year on both sides of the ball.

DL gets a bit of pass in my book because most of our talent in that room is young and inexperienced. Our upperclassmen aren't on the same level as VaTech. That doesn't excuse the head scratching 3rd down play calls or the yardage we continue to give up on 1st down. Overall, though, I think most of us would've been happy holding them to 17 going into the game.

OL cost us the game. We couldn't run the ball and it disrupts everything when the opposing defense is holding team meetings in our backfield. That position group requires more coaching than anywhere on the field except maybe QB. It was supposed to be a strength because we returned everyone, we had a massive size advantage, and tonight it looked like our biggest weakness. It's also the one area that we haven't really hit on recruiting. We have quality depth, maybe not proven, but at least the players everywhere else on the field except OL. With the portal, and the way we recruit, and it being year 4 of a rebuild, you just can't go into that game with an unprepared walk-on at center. Then of course the playcalling was suspect at best. Did ourselves no favors there. But it all starts up front. And that is coaching.

Yup. And Dazz and Dyami too. Sam threw a dime to the end zone that Simmons (at least I think it was Simmons) dropped. It’s a play Dazz and Dyami make 90% of the time last year. Outside of Downs it may be a long season with that position group.
Dropped or was that one broken up? I'm not going to defend the offense cuz it was pathetic.

2-10 on 3rd down. 6 sacks. 9 TFL given up. Howell pressured on every play it seemed. Receivers and TE were so-so.

But VT secondary has some players. I liked our secondary too.

Searels has been the biggest disappointment. You could kind of hear the frustration in Mack's post game comments. We're making the same mistakes we did last year on both sides of the ball.

DL gets a bit of pass in my book because most of our talent in that room is young and inexperienced. Our upperclassmen aren't on the same level as VaTech. That doesn't excuse the head scratching 3rd down play calls or the yardage we continue to give up on 1st down. Overall, though, I think most of us would've been happy holding them to 17 going into the game.

OL cost us the game. We couldn't run the ball and it disrupts everything when the opposing defense is holding team meetings in our backfield. That position group requires more coaching than anywhere on the field except maybe QB. It was supposed to be a strength because we returned everyone, we had a massive size advantage, and tonight it looked like our biggest weakness. It's also the one area that we haven't really hit on recruiting. We have quality depth, maybe not proven, but at least the players everywhere else on the field except OL. With the portal, and the way we recruit, and it being year 4 of a rebuild, you just can't go into that game with an unprepared walk-on at center. Then of course the playcalling was suspect at best. Did ourselves no favors there. But it all starts up front. And that is coaching.
Agreed.
I'm ok with Bateman still. Modern offenses are hard to slow down.

I was mixed on Longo last yr and curious to see if he could improve in red-zone... He's gotta go. Too one-dimensional.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT