ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches fired; coaches hired

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
We are about to enter the mad season of coaching carousel, so we need a thread to cover every move.

There is smoke around Purdue that Les Miles is THE target and that he is interested. On the one hand, that makes no sense. On the other, Les has indicated that he prefers to coach next year. He is from OH and played at Michigan, so he is a midwesterner with very strong Big Ten roots.

If the Mad Hatter is holding out on Purdue, you know he is stalling to see if the MooU job opens.

Texas president's preference supposedly to keep Strong whose chances of another season at Texas better if Herman goes to LSU

Texas under strong has been not good. Don't see how they keep him even with Herman off the table.

Assuming Herman has his pick of jobs, somebody explain to me why LSU is more desirable than Texas. I don't get it.
It makes no sense. That's the reason I think that if it goes down this way, the report that Texas Pres Fenves wanted to keep Strong is true.

They fired Mack for 1 losing season and failure to follow that with at least 10 wins. They now could keep Strong with 3 consecutive losing seasons.

My guess is that if Herman goes to LSU, and Strong is retained, a host of Horns boosters will begin angling to get Fenves fired.

The ESPN article on the LSU-A&M game opens with a discussion of the LSU coaching search and then proceeds to outline the Aggie woes. 3 paragraphs right in the middle of the article highlight Aggie mediocrity, inlcuding fading terribly after a good start every year under Sumlin.

So I wonder if ESPN has reason to know that the Aggie boosters are restless. LSU is now A&M's season-ending rival, and LSU is 5-0 vs. A&M since the Aggies became an SEC team.

All that is the reason I wonder about Chad Morris and Baylor. Morris is an A&M grad. As a HS coach, he was known for camps with former Aggie players and coaches. If Morris thinks there is any chance that the A&M job could open next year, he surely will want to stay at SMU so he is not leaving a school after 1 year. And a number of A&M boosters see Morris as their Art Briles: the brilliant HS coach who could become a huge winner as a college HC.

I think Coach O is a good fit for LSU. It looks like Aranda is staying on as DC. Now all they need is a solid OC. I would shocked if they got Kiffin. He either stays at Bama or takes a head coach job. But there are several other realistic options at LSU.

Any opinions on Lincoln Riley as to his ability run a successful offense at LSU.
Of course he could be a successful OC in Baton Rouge. But he may feel he is ready for a non-P5 HC job. If, for example, Chad Morris leaves SMU for Baylor, Riley may well work hard to get that job. If Rice fires David Bailiff, Riley might want that job.

I think Orgeron will prefer an OC with ties to him and SC.

Sarkisian is another option and would probably be easier to get than Kiffin.

Sarkisian is another option and would probably be easier to get than Kiffin.
Sarkisian was at Bama this year as a volunteer assistant or something. So he has had an exposure to SEC football and worked around Saban and reunited with Kiffin, who has been rehabilitated by his time under Saban.

Sarkisian might be the perfect choice to be LSU's OC, assuming Kiffin does not want the job. He has very successful P5 experience as an OC and has been a P5 HC at 2 schools. He is a protege of Norm Chow.

this is interesting...i'd guess chip kelly would go back...this job is really good.
Can he get out of an NFL contract? If so, would Oregon take him back?

OR produces little top talent, and now that Washington is back, most WA talent will stay in state. CA produces a ton, but each of the 4 CA Pac schools will get some of them, as will AZ schools. Oregon is a really good job because of Nike money that bought great coaches. That's why I think Oregon now goes hard after someone who has won as big as possible where he is and is hungry to be at a place with a higher ceiling.

Mike Gundy is such a coach, but he is an Ok St alum. Dan Mullen is such a coach.

Boise St coach Brian Harsin is said by many to be the top target. He knows the West, but he obviously lacks P5 HC experience. Scott Frost has 7 years experience as an Oregon assistant, and he turned UCF around in 1 year. But Frost has only 1 year of HC experience and that not in a P5.

Can he get out of an NFL contract? If so, would Oregon take him back?

OR produces little top talent, and now that Washington is back, most WA talent will stay in state. CA produces a ton, but each of the 4 CA Pac schools will get some of them, as will AZ schools. Oregon is a really good job because of Nike money that bought great coaches. That's why I think Oregon now goes hard after someone who has won as big as possible where he is and is hungry to be at a place with a higher ceiling.

Mike Gundy is such a coach, but he is an Ok St alum. Dan Mullen is such a coach.

Boise St coach Brian Harsin is said by many to be the top target. He knows the West, but he obviously lacks P5 HC experience. Scott Frost has 7 years experience as an Oregon assistant, and he turned UCF around in 1 year. But Frost has only 1 year of HC experience and that not in a P5.

dana at wvu

Chip Kelly announces he will be staying with 49ers and has no interest in the Oregon job.

I know many rumors have Miles going to Purdue. Kiffin would be interesting in Houston. I know he wants to become a head coach again, and this may be the way to do it. I'm not sure if power 5 schools would give him the chance without having him prove himself again first.

According to ESPN, Indiana fires coach Kevin Wilson. That has to be one of the toughest jobs in the country having to contend with Michigan and Ohio State every year, plus Penn State seems to be on the rise as well.

UCF Head Coach Scott Frost takes himself out of consideration for the Oregon job. Sounds like McElwain isn't interested either. I keep hearing Western Michigan's PJ Fleck as a possibility, but that may be a tough sell for the Oregon fan base.

UCF Head Coach Scott Frost takes himself out of consideration for the Oregon job. Sounds like McElwain isn't interested either. I keep hearing Western Michigan's PJ Fleck as a possibility, but that may be a tough sell for the Oregon fan base.
Has Fleck ever been out of the midwest? He might find Oregon a loony bin.

Reactions: gteeitup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT