ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches fired; coaches hired

Despite the numbers this year, I would still rather have Strong.

Despite the numbers this year, I would still rather have Strong.
I don't see Strong going back to being a DC. He is going to be very rich from the buyout, and he always felt that he deserved to go from a DC right to one of the top SEC HC jobs.

Baylor will interview Western Kentucky Head Coach Jeff Brohm.
Brohm has kept Western Kentucky rolling, and he is a clean cut young coach. He could be what Baylor needs. But how will Texas HS football coaches and players see him?

I don't see Strong going back to being a DC. He is going to be very rich from the buyout, and he always felt that he deserved to go from a DC right to one of the top SEC HC jobs.

certain schools aren't going to hire him...i can't put it out other than marriage preferences.

I think that's an overstated thing, especially with how liberal universities are these days.
I think you are right. 25 years ago is one thing - but not just now but even 10 years ago is something else entirely.

Strong hurt himself on the HC job market many years ago when he drew interest from non-BCS league teams and shoed none in those schools. He wanted an SEC job, and not Vandy and not UK. He was not willing to leave being a very highly paid SEC DC to become HC at a place like Southern Miss or UCF. He felt entitled to move from UF DC to, say, Clemson or Ole Miss or Auburn HC.

Strong's problems on the HC job now start with the fact that he is the only HC in Texas history to post 3 consecutive losing seasons. History says it should be virtually impossible to do that, at THE university in a state with that much talent, a school with a 100,000 seat stadium and usually the richest athletics departments in the country. With all the advantages Texas has, if you can't have a winning season at least once in 3 years, you FAILED big time.

Put that with Teddy Bridgewater at Louisville (many think Teddy made Strong seem better at Louisville than he was) and Strong leaving Louisville after making such a huge big deal when Jurich hired him, and many ADs will remain leery of him.

Cincinnati Head Coach Tommy Tuberville resigns. This may be a good fit for PJ Fleck if he doesn't receive in offers from Power 5 schools.

Cincinnati Head Coach Tommy Tuberville resigns. This may be a good fit for PJ Fleck if he doesn't receive in offers from Power 5 schools.
Or Brohm. Either of those guys could use that job as a step to gain experience, to be fully ready for a P5 job in 2-4 years.

Of course, Brohm could end up at Baylor.

Here is a question: if Oregon were to hire Willie Taggert (he has 3 years Pac assistant experience at Stanford), would you prefer to take over USF or Cincy?

i'd like to think you're right about the times changing...liberal or not, you know exactly what makes up the power of football schools.

the guy cut his teeth in the south and the sec...you'd think sec schools ten years ago would've taken a chance considering his coaching and recruiting acumen...i thought the scarolina job should've been his when holtz left.

i can name schools right now that wouldn't give him an interview.

i'd like to think you're right about the times changing...liberal or not, you know exactly what makes up the power of football schools.

the guy cut his teeth in the south and the sec...you'd think sec schools ten years ago would've taken a chance considering his coaching and recruiting acumen...i thought the scarolina job should've been his when holtz left.

i can name schools right now that wouldn't give him an interview.
If you were the AD at SoCar and you could have taken Spurrier or Strong, what would you have done?

I'd have taken the guy who'd won 1 national and 6 SEC championships. It would have been nearly criminally negligent not to. And Spurrier took SoCar to unprecedented heights.

What makes the power of football schools is fans. if you have a large number of fans, you have power, even with 3 consecutive losing seasons. Like Texas today. Strong lost Texas fans because he failed to win.

spurrier wasn't in the conversation until lou told the a.d. that he would resign...it was thought that strong or skip holtz would take it and then lou demoted skip, then lou resigned after the fight at clemson.

strong left scarolina for florida...he probably thought he would get that job.

but to answer your question, i would've taken spurrier over strong if both were available.

It would be interesting to see those adjusted for opponents offensive rankings and the overall style of play in the BigXII.
The ACC isn't exactly filled with slow paced pro style offenses. I doubt they would be much different. I hear everyone say how good of a recruiter he is as a reason they like him. Either he can't coach them once they get there or his great ability is getting overrated recruits. The only coach to not have a winning season at TX... Charlie Strong. I'll stick with what we have. Strong is overrated.

Because you you don't think he will fit in at Baylor? Or because you think his record at Temple is misleading?
Both. He's a terrible fit for Baylor because he has no Texas ties. You gotta know the Texas high school landscape. He better hire some seriously energetic Texan recruiting gurus as assistants.

And his record at Temple doesn't do a damn thing for me. That's such a random school / conference. Like what's his best win, Penn State from last season? And then the AAC title this season? They avoided Houston this year, lost to Penn State early when PSU hadn't figured themselves out yet, and also lost to Army and Memphis.

I'm not demeaning his accomplishments whatsoever, I'm just saying I'm not sure those accomplishments at that school should get you a job at a school that appeared very recently in a BCS bowl.

Both. He's a terrible fit for Baylor because he has no Texas ties. You gotta know the Texas high school landscape. He better hire some seriously energetic Texan recruiting gurus as assistants.

And his record at Temple doesn't do a damn thing for me. That's such a random school / conference. Like what's his best win, Penn State from last season? And then the AAC title this season? They avoided Houston this year, lost to Penn State early when PSU hadn't figured themselves out yet, and also lost to Army and Memphis.

I'm not demeaning his accomplishments whatsoever, I'm just saying I'm not sure those accomplishments at that school should get you a job at a school that appeared very recently in a BCS bowl.
I think what he has done at Temple in back to back seasons is impressive, especially as that league is very tough. Remember - Memphis beat Houston, as did SMU. But for me the issue is that Texas thing. If he does not have a staff filled with TX coaches, he could get destroyed in recruiting.

But he could be another up and comer. Baylor might have gotten ahead of the curve on this one, if Rhule can adjust to TX quickly.

I think what he has done at Temple in back to back seasons is impressive, especially as that league is very tough. Remember - Memphis beat Houston, as did SMU. But for me the issue is that Texas thing. If he does not have a staff filled with TX coaches, he could get destroyed in recruiting.

But he could be another up and comer. Baylor might have gotten ahead of the curve on this one, if Rhule can adjust to TX quickly.
He better start recruiting his ass off as of yesterday because Baylor has ONE commit in the 2017 class right now. One. You wanna talk about something that will absolutely destroy a program in a very short period of time... this year's class could be it.

He better start recruiting his ass off as of yesterday because Baylor has ONE commit in the 2017 class right now. One. You wanna talk about something that will absolutely destroy a program in a very short period of time... this year's class could be it.
Yep - and that's a reason many will say Rhule was nuts to take the job. The scandal perhaps has destroyed Baylor football, for another 4 or 5 years at least.

I wasn't implying it was true. I just read it and thought it was interesting. I rarely post here but I do like to keep up with things.

I wasn't implying it was true. I just read it and thought it was interesting. I rarely post here but I do like to keep up with things.
I wasn't scoffing at you. I'm scoffing at the tweet/info from the BR writer that keepingitheel wrote about. That guy is way off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT