ADVERTISEMENT

Crystal Ball

Sure but...

JRE
Mann
Anthony
Green

2 scholarships.

If you feel confident on Anthony, then why offer Mann there? If he takes it, 1 scholarship left and 3 players left. Surely Green has to be the one you want out of those 3 instead of a somewhat redundancy with Cole... Especially if you think he is one and done versus a 2nd year white or 4th year seventh.
I can answer this. I was speaking with bigwig yesterday ,and Mann he says is more of a 2 Roy thinks than a point. Make no mistake Roy wants all 4 of the players he is after. Cole, Mann, JRE, and Green. He is pushing for all four and coach thinks we lead for all four. That's what bigwig told me yesterday

Last edited:
Ok so I can't give his name because I told him I wouldn't do that. But he is supposed to be the great, great grandson of the person who wrote the fight song for unc. He even has a dog named tar heel, and so far he has been right about everything. He is supposed to join my family for late nite this yr. He has a smokin young gf, but he even says he knows she's only with him because of the money lol. The problem with him is he will shoot a lie on purpose to see if your telling stuff he asked not to be told; so I have to be super careful, or I lose him as an inside source on some things. He also says Fedoras seat is not hot, or even warm. He says all the big money donors love Fed, and know that he was dealing with a catastrophic yr in injuries, but that he must show significant improvement this yr. ie win 8 games is what they are saying, and one better be beating state.

Last edited:
Rush was a walk-on that was given a scholarship because we had space. I think if we get to a point where we need a scholarship to get one of those high level guys if they want to commit - that would be the place to find that scholarship.

I can answer this. I was speaking with bigwig yesterday ,and Mann he says is more of a 2 Roy thinks than a point. Make no mistake Roy wants all 4 of the players he is after. Cole, Mann, JRE, and Green. He is pushing for all four and coach thinks we lead for all four. That's what bigwig told me yesterday

Can you expound upon why he (Roy) believes we're in the lead for each? And does this imply that Coby is OAD?

Isn't scholarships for them all.

Can you expound upon why he (Roy) believes we're in the lead for each? And does this imply that Coby is OAD?
Yes bigwig can. He says Roy thinks Coby is probably oad. Especially if he scores like we know he can, and roy won't blame him; even if coby stays there are multiple players willing to give up a scholly for UNC to make room. This program is the epitome of what family epitomizes. No other program in America is like that.

This seems implausible.

That means, in effect, that some player's family will pay big bucks so another player can come in and take their kid's PT.

Has that ever happened?
All I can go off is what the bigwig donor told me it's second d hand but he hasn't been wrong yet. I am sure that day is coming. Maybe it is now but until he is wrong he is goldent to me.

We have occasionally had a player who is on a different scholarship. Could that be an option? I imagine there are rules about that.

Will Johnson comes to mind. Wasn't he a Morehead Scholar or something along those lines?

A quick glance at the latest Crystal Ball predictions shows no change.

Disappointed. I had hoped that Bacot's commitment would have nudged a few players more in our direction by now.

Disappointed. I had hoped that Bacot's commitment would have nudged a few players more in our direction by now.
Don't go off those... Roy feels very confident with all of the people we are recruiting. This is going to be the start of UNC dominance in recruiting again

Don't go off those... Roy feels very confident with all of the people we are recruiting. This is going to be the start of UNC dominance in recruiting again

You and your bigwig have me very excited, raider. If the recruiting is back, Roy will have a title contender every year until he hangs up the whistle.

Generally speaking, I think it is interesting that Roy has honed in on such a specific group of recruits given how many scholarships will be available for the class. Seems to me that even from the outside, it lends credence to your notion that Roy has a good sense of where this class is headed.

I don't think he would limit his scope to Anthony, Mann, Green and JRE (and Bacot, of course) if he wasn't confident about the vibes he was getting from them and their families. He's been in this recruiting game for a while, after all.

I think it's a bit early to expect Armando's commitment to reap any tangible benefits yet. By the time Tre visits... who knows, he may just commit on the spot if the visit goes well.

Well, I can dream can't I?

You and your bigwig have me very excited, raider. If the recruiting is back, Roy will have a title contender every year until he hangs up the whistle.

Generally speaking, I think it is interesting that Roy has honed in on such a specific group of recruits given how many scholarships will be available for the class. Seems to me that even from the outside, it lends credence to your notion that Roy has a good sense of where this class is headed.

I don't think he would limit his scope to Anthony, Mann, Green and JRE (and Bacot, of course) if he wasn't confident about the vibes he was getting from them and their families. He's been in this recruiting game for a while, after all.
Well thanks man but let's remember I am getting this second hand, and recruiting is very fluid. We could see Roy throw out 20 schollys tomorrow if all of a sudden the wheels come off. But from what big wig told me.... Don't expect it

I think it's a bit early to expect Armando's commitment to reap any tangible benefits yet. By the time Tre visits... who knows, he may just commit on the spot if the visit goes well.

Well, I can dream can't I?

May not be the Bacot commit in particular but I think the kids coming up are now realizing how the other recruiters used the NCAA sham investigation against UNC. And how the "dream" schools use, abuse and lie to their recruits, before and after, they get them to commit. And the kids, and the families, are starting to understand the value of coaches that actually care about the players. And if you don't think they don't know about how Francis has been treated (having never played a game) .. as compared to how Bolden and the sisterhood in derm as well as the criminals at some other majors treat their players then your not in the game. What comes around goes around and Karma is real and good things will happen to good people that have honor and the UNC program has always been exemplary in that regard when it comes to mens bball... and once again UNC will reap the benefits of staying true to Coach Smiths principles. jmho

May not be the Bacot commit in particular but I think the kids coming up are now realizing how the other recruiters used the NCAA sham investigation against UNC. And how the "dream" schools use, abuse and lie to their recruits, before and after, they get them to commit. And the kids, and the families, are starting to understand the value of coaches that actually care about the players. And if you don't think they don't know about how Francis has been treated (having never played a game) .. as compared to how Bolden and the sisterhood in derm as well as the criminals at some other majors treat their players then your not in the game. What comes around goes around and Karma is real and good things will happen to good people that have honor and the UNC program has always been exemplary in that regard when it comes to mens bball... and once again UNC will reap the benefits of staying true to Coach Smiths principles. jmho

I totally agree with this. The investigation was definitely used against the Heels in recruiting. That's why I love the fact that it was officially over on Friday the 13th. Because Roy being able to recruit without the investigation hovering over him is every other coach's worst nightmare.

Go Heels!

It's been a couple of weeks since my last full update. Since then, Mann committed to Florida (darn!).

The last time I checked Mann, we and Florida were tied at 44% each. So that counts in my book as a correct prediction for Crystal Ball. The percentage for Florida bumped up to 50 just before he announced, but I don't think we should count last-second piling on.

By my count, that's 4 correct calls by Crystal Ball among our targets. Two to us (including Francis), 2 to other schools.

There's also been a tiny bit of movement on a couple of other kids. Texas is back into the lead for Baker, for example, and we're no longer mentioned. Duke has lost a little ground on Anthony (but, unfortunately, not to us). Green has moved up in the rankings a bit. A bit of jockeying around for others, but all minor.

Code:
Player       Rank #P  Schools %                  Trend

Anthony       3    5  Duke 60% Ore 20% ?? 20%    Duke slipping
Mann         33    9  UNC 44% Fla 44% Tenn 12%   Committed to Florida.
Nickelberry  Committed to Louisville.  CB prediction Louisville.
Green         9    6  UNC 83% Ariz 17%           No change
Moore        24   15  Duke 87% UNC 13%           No real change
Brooks       16    8  MSU 50% IND 38% ?? 12%     No change
Carey         2   12  Duke 50% Miami 25% MSU 17% Duke slipping a little
Hurt          6   12  KU 83% MN 8% ?? 08%        KU strengthens slightly
RobinsonEarl 17    9  KU 100%                    Another vote for KU
Wiseman       1   20  Memph 70% UK 30%           Memphis
Baker        25    7  Tex 71% UCLA 21%           Texas
Bacot        26   16  UNC 100%                   Committed to UNC.

I'm surprised to JRE at 100% for Kansas given the UNC factors we all hear about?? Are we doing a little wishful thinking on him or are others not seeing what we are seeing? Given Mann's commit to Florida and Anthony being our only other PG target, I'd expect the Semesterhood to go harder at him.

I'd be happy with Bascot and Green but ecstatic with those two plus Anthony and/or JRE.

Regardless, GO HEELS!

Reactions: heel1973
I'm surprised to JRE at 100% for Kansas given the UNC factors we all hear about?? Are we doing a little wishful thinking on him or are others not seeing what we are seeing? Given Mann's commit to Florida and Anthony being our only other PG target, I'd expect the Semesterhood to go harder at him.

I'd be happy with Bascot and Green but ecstatic with those two plus Anthony and/or JRE.

Regardless, GO HEELS!
I was told that Roy feels very comfortable.fortable with where we sit with JRE... That being said no one forsaw the Mann committment coming down the pike. Recruiting is fluid. Especially since we are dealing with adolescents

We have occasionally had a player who is on a different scholarship. Could that be an option? I imagine there are rules about that.

Will Johnson comes to mind. Wasn't he a Morehead Scholar or something along those lines?

Actually, you have 2 questions wrapped in the one.

First, the Bear Bryant rule, established due to Bryant bringing in football players for Alabama and giving them scholarships intended for other sports. Now, if a kid plays football on a sports scholarship, he has to be on a football scholly, he can play another sport as Peppers and Curry did for us as a walk on and not occupy for example a basketball scholly.

Second, yes, we sure have brought in players that qualify on academic scholarships rather than sports scholarships, most times multiple academic scholarships are found that strongly handle the costs that the academic scholly covers. Especially important when you have a instate kid (you know the out of state tuition is a good bit more than it is for an instate kid). For those that do qualify academically, academic schollys can be found to go along with athletic schollys at times where particle schollys can be used to split a full athletic scholly between multiple players (particle grant & aide).

Athletic scholarships are ALL year to year, they are not allowed to be granted for 4yrs, which I consider to be VERY WRONG! But you have 2 types of these, the most common is the you will get your scholly each year you play for us, the no brainer renewed scholly. But others, especially for "walk ons" that get one that becomes and extra because it was not used, their getting that 1 does not guarantee them they will get one their next year. Note, Roy does not like to ever take away a kid's scholly once he gives it to them.

Actually, you have 2 questions wrapped in the one.

First, the Bear Bryant rule, established due to Bryant bringing in football players for Alabama and giving them scholarships intended for other sports. Now, if a kid plays football on a sports scholarship, he has to be on a football scholly, he can play another sport as Peppers and Curry did for us as a walk on and not occupy for example a basketball scholly.

Second, yes, we sure have brought in players that qualify on academic scholarships rather than sports scholarships, most times multiple academic scholarships are found that strongly handle the costs that the academic scholly covers. Especially important when you have a instate kid (you know the out of state tuition is a good bit more than it is for an instate kid). For those that do qualify academically, academic schollys can be found to go along with athletic schollys at times where particle schollys can be used to split a full athletic scholly between multiple players (particle grant & aide).

Athletic scholarships are ALL year to year, they are not allowed to be granted for 4yrs, which I consider to be VERY WRONG! But you have 2 types of these, the most common is the you will get your scholly each year you play for us, the no brainer renewed scholly. But others, especially for "walk ons" that get one that becomes and extra because it was not used, their getting that 1 does not guarantee them they will get one their next year. Note, Roy does not like to ever take away a kid's scholly once he gives it to them.
Would Maybe qualify for an academic scholarship and we take his athletic scholarship and give it to someone else, without it hurting Mayes pocket?

Would Maybe qualify for an academic scholarship and we take his athletic scholarship and give it to someone else, without it hurting Mayes pocket?

I think that is a real possibility, if not totally handling the costs it could be closer than many realize. The other thing with Maye is his dad from what I understand is a big booster, donates a good lick to UNC each year, he could divert his donations to cover his son's school costs and not cost him any more than he has already been giving. You could assemble how ever much "other" type of scholarship money and then dad could cover any short fall that may exist.

There is as well the kid himself, be it the NBA or Europe, Luke is going to play for pay for a good while once he leaves UNC, very safe bet he will be a future big time UNC booster, could well elect to pay his own way knowing he is in position to make a few million once he leaves UNC.

Kind of a mute point thou, Luke is a senior this season and rather than being short on schollys we had an extra one to give out. Luke's scholly is over before the 2019 class gets here.

I think that is a real possibility, if not totally handling the costs it could be closer than many realize. The other thing with Maye is his dad from what I understand is a big booster, donates a good lick to UNC each year, he could divert his donations to cover his son's school costs and not cost him any more than he has already been giving. You could assemble how ever much "other" type of scholarship money and then dad could cover any short fall that may exist.

There is as well the kid himself, be it the NBA or Europe, Luke is going to play for pay for a good while once he leaves UNC, very safe bet he will be a future big time UNC booster, could well elect to pay his own way knowing he is in position to make a few million once he leaves UNC.

Kind of a mute point thou, Luke is a senior this season and rather than being short on schollys we had an extra one to give out. Luke's scholly is over before the 2019 class gets here.

That slipped my mind. I was just thinking about our current situation this year. But if anyone else along the same lines, it could be a possibility.

I read on TOS that a wing-size McAdoo relative is walking on for us.

We have lots of walkons.

Is there any limit to how many walkons a team can have?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT