ADVERTISEMENT

Duke at Carolina game thread on Saturday 11 November 2023

Yeah... there's some luck involved when the outcome is like this.

But, in the game thread after UNC scored the last TD in regulation... I knew there was too much time left. But, when I saw there was still... I think it was 40+ seconds left when UNC got the ball BACK... I also knew that was enough time for Drake Maye to, at least, get them in FG range. And, he did.

There was luck spread all over the place, on both sides for both teams. I wanted so badly to bet a boatload on the dookies and +11.5, but I can't bet against my school. I just KNEW the opportunity was glaring for the easiest money on a bet. That line, on a huge rivalry game at night, was a gift. So... I passed that information to friends of mine who have no affiliation to UNC and I'll get compensated for my insight and my conscience is clear!

Reactions: bluetoe
The coaching staff has failed the talent on this team, this season, worse than I can ever recall. The defense is always a huge liability. The 4th quarter puts them in a coma. Double-digit leads are blown game after game.

The Heels should have been up 28-7 at the half. It should have been a game for depth players to get some playing time. It should be an undefeated team.

Yeah... there's some luck involved when the outcome is like this.

But, in the game thread after UNC scored the last TD in regulation... I knew there was too much time left. But, when I saw there was still... I think it was 40+ seconds left when UNC got the ball BACK... I also knew that was enough time for Drake Maye to, at least, get them in FG range. And, he did.

There was luck spread all over the place, on both sides for both teams. I wanted so badly to bet a boatload on the dookies and +11.5, but I can't bet against my school. I just KNEW the opportunity was glaring for the easiest money on a bet. That line, on a huge rivalry game at night, was a gift. So... I passed that information to friends of mine who have no affiliation to UNC and I'll get compensated for my insight and my conscience is clear!
I hear ya. But with the opportunities we squandered and with a defense so easy that you can bet it all that they're going to get scored on, it was a hefty helping of luck that allowed us to come away with a win. Like somebody said somewhere, the score should have been 52-7....myself, I stopped counting when it literally should have been 28-7.

I hated the game right up until that last incomplete pass, but I enjoyed the victory and loved the celebration afterward. It made me think we might actually have a love of football at UNC. Of course the reality is that we just love a good inebriant-fueled party, but that's fine as long as it puts fannies in the seats. But I digress. That last play was the one I really enjoyed because for the first time in the game I wasn't waiting for that other shoe to drop...and because our luck won out over theirs by a hair.

If we have a prayer of showing up at Clemson, we're gonna need a whole new level of luck.

Reactions: tarheel0910
The coaching staff has failed the talent on this team, this season, worse than I can ever recall. The defense is always a huge liability. The 4th quarter puts them in a coma. Double-digit leads are blown game after game.

The Heels should have been up 28-7 at the half. It should have been a game for depth players to get some playing time. It should be an undefeated team.
I posted my diatribe before I saw this. I wasn't trying to steal your thunder.

If we have a prayer of showing up at Clemson, we're gonna need a whole new level of luck.
I think a switch was turned on down the road. That "Tyler" caller on the radio show probably changed Clemson's whole season. Dabo went off and they've played like ravenous wild dogs ever since. UNC beating Clemson in Death Valley is sooooo rare. I think it's been maybe twice in 25 years. I was there in 2001, after 9/11 and UNC beat them 38-3.

I think a switch was turned on down the road. That "Tyler" caller on the radio show probably changed Clemson's whole season. Dabo went off and they've played like ravenous wild dogs ever since. UNC beating Clemson in Death Valley is sooooo rare. I think it's been maybe twice in 25 years. I was there in 2001, after 9/11 and UNC beat them 38-3.
and of course, we are traditionally an especially favorite punching bag of theirs. They hate us or at least their old-timers do because they blame us for the extra punishment they received for the cheating scandal way back then. There's no chance of catching them looking ahead. They'll be waiting with both barrels loaded.

If that had happened with a Mike Leach team, I would bet that leach himself had set top the Tyler caller. But I think Dabo is too much a Mayberry tyoento have done that.

I started to tell you I wished I could have traded places with you for that 38-3 win. No chance I want to do that now. Cheer us to victory though, I know you can do it.
That crowd was not happy that day. I was with one of my oldest friends, like an older brother-type/ We had gone to a lot of UNC games in CH in the 90s. As we left, I had some white shoe polish in my van and wrote "38-3" on the windows as we rode back to Gville. They were surly. I-85 was full of tiger tails on cars and they were middle-fingering us all the way home.

• Love
That crowd was not happy that day. I was with one of my oldest friends, like an older brother-type/ We had gone to a lot of UNC games in CH in the 90s. As we left, I had some white shoe polish in my van and wrote "38-3" on the windows as we rode back to Gville. They were surly. I-85 was full of tiger tails on cars and they were middle-fingering us all the way home.
Tiger fans are rabid. I had a job once that had me out and about in Durham years ago, and the week leading up to a Clemson-dook home game I saw a ton of Clemson-stickered South Carolina cars, and some RVs, etc. Dook was nothing much at the time, but they were travelling to support the team regardless. I swear I even saw a Clemson car with Alaska license plates.

Tiger fans are rabid. I had a job once that had me out and about in Durham years ago, and the week leading up to a Clemson-dook home game I saw a ton of Clemson-stickered South Carolina cars, and some RVs, etc. Dook was nothing much at the time, but they were travelling to support the team regardless. I swear I even saw a Clemson car with Alaska license plates.
That's why they were turning on Dabo so fast. They expect way too much.

That's why they were turning on Dabo so fast. They expect way too much.
define 'too much'. One mans 'too much' is another man's 'not enough'. I wish we were more 'not enough'. Not crazy like Clemson though. Or TA&M.

define 'too much'. One mans 'too much' is another man's 'not enough'. I wish we were more 'not enough'. Not crazy like Clemson though. Or TA&M.
Clemson has almost always dominated the ACC... especially in the Danny Ford era, or, until FSU showed up. The fan base around here act like they're Notre Dame or Texas because they sort of dominated the ACC and won that National Championship in 1981 or whenever it was with Danny Ford.

Clemson has almost always dominated the ACC... especially in the Danny Ford era, or, until FSU showed up. The fan base around here act like they're Notre Dame or Texas because they sort of dominated the ACC and won that National Championship in 1981 or whenever it was with Danny Ford.
they should have, they cheated like crazy. Of course, they'll point out that they only got tagged for a relatively minor recruiting gig involving money. The bitch is they got to keep the championship. Years later we get smeared because somebody slept on somebody's sofa.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Have we played them more than twice there in 25 years? The old ACC scheduling was horrible about things like that.

Have we played them more than twice there in 25 years? The old ACC scheduling was horrible about things like that.
I was trying to scroll through some. We don't play them very much since the divisions started. We played them a few years ago cuz I ran into Dabo's brother in the local UPS store the Monday after the game! I was in line and had a UNC shirt on and he saw me and commented on my shirt and almost losing to us. Then he introduced himself and we talked a little.

I wonder if Dabo shares the wealth?

I was trying to scroll through some. We don't play them very much since the divisions started. We played them a few years ago cuz I ran into Dabo's brother in the local UPS store the Monday after the game! I was in line and had a UNC shirt on and he saw me and commented on my shirt and almost losing to us. Then he introduced himself and we talked a little.

I wonder if Dabo shares the wealth?
That last game was at Chapel Hill. Not sure when the last time before that. The new schedule format is almost just as bad now that we've become the American Coast-Texas Conference.

ETA: I just looked it up. The last time we played there was in 2014. That's crazy. Lost 50-35. I'm sure it's shocking to see we had a horrible defense.

Last edited:
I wanted so badly to bet a boatload on the dookies and +11.5, but I can't bet against my school. I just KNEW the opportunity was glaring for the easiest money on a bet. That line, on a huge rivalry game at night, was a gift. So... I passed that information to friends of mine who have no affiliation to UNC and I'll get compensated for my insight and my conscience is clear!
i got dook +13 on wednesday - could not believe it. i felt good bout that bet but i put as much $$ as i could on the total going OVER 51.5. so much easy money on that game.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Duke plays many people, uses second team on defense early, and we play starters until they are exhausted--that is why they collapse predictably in 4th quarter. Coaching. Special teams seemed totally unprepared several times. Coaching. We were outcoached. Nice fatherly coach is wonderful, feels good, helps recruiting, but the lesson of the past says we need better coaching. It's time.

i got dook +13 on wednesday - could not believe it. i felt good bout that bet but i put as much $$ as i could on the total going OVER 51.5. so much easy money on that game.

dook and Missouri were the easiest 2 plays on the card Saturday. Could not believe Missouri was getting points at home against Tennessee. I told a friend of mine to take those 2 games in a parlay with whoever he wanted, they were locks.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
it was cool getting Mack back, and overall he's done a good job. but it's time for a new era in UNC FB.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
it's inexplicable.

not as much as winning does. And nice fatherly coach becomes a recruiting liability without the winning.
73 is far from fatherly., It is grandfatherly, as is 63. Even basketball-only types should know that is a death knell.

they should have, they cheated like crazy. Of course, they'll point out that they only got tagged for a relatively minor recruiting gig involving money. The bitch is they got to keep the championship. Years later we get smeared because somebody slept on somebody's sofa.
That is a real value of being known as a 'football school' rather than a 'basketball school.'

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT