ADVERTISEMENT

Fedora

I had already heard that from a reliable SEC source (Ole Miss guy). That's a prime reason I posted what I did after the Dook loss about inexplicable flat play fairly often being a result of a coach either agreeing to leave or thinking about it.

There is a powerful group of LSU boosters that want Orgeron. He is a native, even growing up speaking French at home. Recruits love Orgeron, and that may be especially true in LA and environs. He is very popular with LSU fans. Save for the Bama game, LSU has looked good under him. His sense of offense features a passing game with a real QB (unlike the natural WRs, RBs, TEs and DBs that Miles persisted in playing at QB).

All that means that any coach other than Orgeron who gets the LSU job and fails to deliver fairly big within 2 years will find a growing part of the fan base murmuring about him.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I believe they have contacted Fedora, but I don't believe he is their top candidate. If Orgeron wins out then he likely gets that job. He has been steadily converting the fan base. I believe Fed to be somewhere between their 3-5 option. I think it's his defenses they are worried about mostly. That part of his resume will be very unattractive to them.

Reactions: Archer2
I believe they have contacted Fedora, but I don't believe he is their top candidate. If Orgeron wins out then he likely gets that job. He has been steadily converting the fan base. I believe Fed to be somewhere between their 3-5 option. I think it's his defenses they are worried about mostly. That part of his resume will be very unattractive to them.
Yeah I would seriously shocked if LSU chose Fedora.

Seriously? Did they not just watch him hand VT the coastal and Duke the game the other night. Fedora is a perfect fit for a mid level program such as UNC, but he would get crushed at LSU.
Fedora could win championships at LSU. Look at the talent LSU pulls in every year. Now put that talent in the Fed Spread and apply a QB (which Fed would get because he's good at recruiting QBs). You want to talk about a scary good offense, regardless of poor in-game decisions.

Fedora could win championships at LSU. Look at the talent LSU pulls in every year. Now put that talent in the Fed Spread and apply a QB (which Fed would get because he's good at recruiting QBs). You want to talk about a scary good offense, regardless of poor in-game decisions.

He can win a championship at UNC IMO. He's already got us on the verge of breaking into the playoff, last year we were probably one game away. Would we have gotten curb stomped? Maybe. But if he can pull in a couple of solid recruiting classes to fill out the roster with D1 talent then we could be scary good by 2018, or frankly even next year if Mitch and Hood come back.

Reactions: Realfreedom
I think Fed would be in way over his head at LSU, or any other program with similar status. I'm sorry but the dook/VT debacles confirmed what I already suspected, that we aren't top 20 worthy at this point. And I'm beginning to doubt he'll elevate our program to that annual status.

Really hoping we can win our last 3 games convincingly and generate some momentum going into the offseason. IMO, next year will tell the tale as far as our program's potential under Fed.

VT is back in one year under Fuentes. Miami will be back soon under Richt with the talent they can bring in. Clemson, UofL, and FSU are better programs right now. We're in danger of not sniffing another ACCC for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I think Fed would be in way over his head at LSU, or any other program with similar status. I'm sorry but the dook/VT debacles confirmed what I already suspected, that we aren't top 20 worthy at this point. And I'm beginning to doubt he'll elevate our program to that annual status.

Really hoping we can win our last 3 games convincingly and generate some momentum going into the offseason. IMO, next year will tell the tale as far as our program's potential under Fed.

VT is back in one year under Fuentes. Miami will be back soon under Richt with the talent they can bring in. Clemson, UofL, and FSU are better programs right now. We're in danger of not sniffing another ACCCG for the foreseeable future.
VT is not back. VT is a very, very, very average team that is having a good year in a very, very average division.

Keep the faith, brother. You were so hyped to begin the season.

Reactions: lerario
I was hyped but got kicked in the gut once again. The fact that we got shellacked by a "very, very, very average team" and can't win a "very, very average division" illustrates my point.

At least VT has a good DC to build on. I'm losing more confidence in Chizik weekly.

I never give up on my Heels, I've been a faithful fan for 57 years now, since I was six. You'd think I would learn to expect football mediocrity but every year I think this might be the year we turn it around. I'm sure next year I'll think the same thing.

Right now i just want to win out and end on a high note.

I was hyped but got kicked in the gut once again. The fact that we got shellacked by a "very, very, very average team" and can't win a "very, very average division" illustrates my point.

At least VT has a good DC to build on. I'm losing more confidence in Chizik weekly.

I never give up on my Heels, I've been a faithful fan for 57 years now, since I was six. You'd think I would learn to expect football mediocrity but every year I think this might be the year we turn it around. I'm sure next year I'll think the same thing.

Right now i just want to win out and end on a high note.
I tried to tell y'all all summer that we would lose to UGA.

As for our defense, the Chizik defense starts and ends with a dominant defensive line, which is something we do not have.

Reactions: tarheel0910
As for our defense, the Chizik defense starts and ends with a dominant defensive line, which is something we do not have.
I still don't understand all the hate for Chiz. He hasn't even been here for two years. Our players were mostly average before he got here to take over one of the worst UNC defenses of all time. Add in the fact that the players he had were recruited to play a different type of scheme and there is no reason to think we should have a great defense at this point. We've shown improvement since he started and as we get more of his recruits in place we are going to be really good on that side of the ball.

Reactions: gteeitup
Um, he can't even beat mediocre SEC teams at UNC, so how is he going to at LSU? He has set up a great offense at UNC, but absolutely no defense. At least once or twice a year, team loses because of poor decisions and poor play calling. He does not learn from his mistakes. I can take mistakes, but once you make them, learn and don't make them again.

Don't get me wrong, Fedora is great for UNC. Will recruit well and win lots of games. However, he will get smoked at LSU.

I still don't understand all the hate for Chiz. He hasn't even been here for two years. Our players were mostly average before he got here to take over one of the worst UNC defenses of all time. Add in the fact that the players he had were recruited to play a different type of scheme and there is no reason to think we should have a great defense at this point. We've shown improvement since he started and as we get more of his recruits in place we are going to be really good on that side of the ball.
LOL yeah it's ironic that the middle-aged poasters on here who are so quick to knock my generation for wanting instant gratification are the ones tiring on Chizik already.

Chizik inherited Naz Jones and a few decent (not great but decent) DBs. That's it. We make Shak and Schoett out to be sorely missed due to their skill, but those two were very average LBers by the standards of what a Top 20 team should look like.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Um, he can't even beat mediocre SEC teams at UNC, so how is he going to at LSU? He has set up a great offense at UNC, but absolutely no defense. At least once or twice a year, team loses because of poor decisions and poor play calling. He does not learn from his mistakes. I can take mistakes, but once you make them, learn and don't make them again.

Don't get me wrong, Fedora is great for UNC. Will recruit well and win lots of games. However, he will get smoked at LSU.
Please examine the recruiting rankings of the offensive guys that are tearing it up for us:

Switzer 3***
Hollins NR
Proehl 3***
Howard 3*** (4**** on TOS and ESPN)
Marquise 4****
T. Jackson NR

Only Hood at 5***** is an elite recruit that Fedora utilizes. AT LSU, every receiver he recruited would be a 4**** or a 5***** as well as every running back. LSU stockpiles NFL-caliber wide receivers every season, they can just never recruit a QB. Fedora's offense would be a machine at LSU, and he'd compile so much defensive talent that it wouldn't matter who was running the defense -- they'd be decent enough on that side of the ball.

yes, fedora is a good recruiter and he'd pull in plenty of talent at LSU. but the SEC west has 3-5 teams in the top 20 every year, probably the single toughest division in college football. fedora's weakness of in-game tactics and planning would not be tolerated by LSU fans. UNC has made him a millionaire and we're very forgiving of his in-game mediocrity and losing two or three key games a year due to poor coaching. my definition of a smart guy is one who knows his limitations. if fedora is smart he'll stay in chapel hill.

Reactions: UNC71-00
I tried to tell y'all all summer that we would lose to UGA.

Most specifically, a great DT. What did the National Champ Auburn team have on D that no other Auburn team under Chizik had?

That Juco All American DT (Fairley?), who was 1st team All SEC (and at least 2nd team All American).

Most specifically, a great DT. What did the National Champ Auburn team have on D that no other Auburn team under Chizik had?

That Juco All American DT (Fairley?), who was 1st team All SEC (and at least 2nd team All American).
And who was dumber than a bag of hammers. But yes, he was incredibly good. Nick Fairley.

I get all that. And I understand that it takes 3-4 recruiting classes to really determine how effective a new coach will be. But our tackling is atrocious, even when we're in position to get people down on the ground, we don't wrap up. The amount of yardage after contact we've given up is ridiculous. I'm a fundamentalist, block and tackle effectively and you can win a lot of games. We seem to be lacking in fundamentals.

He's obviously not going anywhere so we'll see what he can do over the next 3-4 years. I hope you're right. Believe me, I pray you're right.

I get all that. And I understand that it takes 3-4 recruiting classes to really determine how effective a new coach will be. But our tackling is atrocious, even when we're in position to get people down on the ground, we don't wrap up. The amount of yardage after contact we've given up is ridiculous. I'm a fundamentalist, block and tackle effectively and you can win a lot of games. We seem to be lacking in fundamentals.

He's obviously not going anywhere so we'll see what he can do over the next 3-4 years. I hope you're right. Believe me, I pray you're right.
Besides Alabama and a couple other schools, no college team tackles well anymore. If you haven't noticed.

Actually, I think most of the top teams do. Watch Clemson tackle and then watch us. It's night and day. Same with OSU, Michigan, Washington, Louisville, PSU, LSU, Wisconsin, etc...

Ever seen that Lombardi clip where he says "grabbin', grabbin', grabbin', all we're doin' is grabbin'"? That's what we do.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Fedora could win championships at LSU..

No he could not. He wouldn't last 3 years at LSU- they would run him out on a rail for his boneheaded decisions and failure to adjust in game.

Could you imagine how Tiger Stadium would react to a game where Leonard Fournette got 12 carries at 15 YPC while the QB chucked 4 interceptions?

I like Fedora just fine for Carolina. But he has yet to show the coaching skill needed to compete for the playoffs on a yearly basis.

LOL yeah it's ironic that the middle-aged poasters on here who are so quick to knock my generation for wanting instant gratification are the ones tiring on Chizik already.

Chizik inherited Naz Jones and a few decent (not great but decent) DBs. That's it. We make Shak and Schoett out to be sorely missed due to their skill, but those two were very average LBers by the standards of what a Top 20 team should look like.

I like Chiz

Reactions: gteeitup
Seriously? Did they not just watch him hand VT the coastal and Duke the game the other night. Fedora is a perfect fit for a mid level program such as UNC, but he would get crushed at LSU.

that is my argument, completely...if he gave fournette 13 carries in a game when he couldn't be stopped, and they lost, they'd burn his dwelling to the ground and throw bags of puke all over him.

and ed isn't going to help them score points...i think it's petrino or maybe even just jimbo...hoping for ed though b/c they'll be on probation soon after and the recruiting stories will be epic.

at carolina fedora has it made. millions of bucks, reasonable expectations, nice facilities, great college community, and a sports fan base that will catch on to football as the program continues to improve and our wounds are healed by time. and people who say he'll move on for a greater challenge?? well, how about fending off a resurgent va tech program to dominate the coastal, taking an acc title away from clemson and representing the acc in the final four? if that's not enough challenge for fedora he's got a problem.

Fedora has shown he can win against pretty average-to-good teams. FSU is not that good this year. They have Cook, but they are not the typical FSU powerhouse. Fedora can't beat SEC teams. Couldn't beat USC, and couldn't beat GA. He couldn't beat Clemson when it really mattered. he lost the bowl game with the best team UNC has had in years. He's lost 3 games this year that he never should have lost. And, he's playing teams that are not usually ranked. The SEC has far better teams.

Fedora will fail at LSU. Auburn tossed Chizik and Chizik brought Auburn a National Championship! He's the DC here now. You think they're going to get Fedora? I don't see it.

Fedora has it made here. He can get by with frequent 3-4 loss seasons. That will not cut it in Baton Rouge.

I am in the Fedora camp. He has been recruiting with one hand tied behind his back. The only recruiting position he has not done well with is Dline.

I do question some in game coaching decisions, but trust me if Fedora leaves UNC he will do better than the UNC program will. We need him to stay and continue building this program, brick by brick.

Reactions: uncboy10
Can we please stop saying VT is resurgent? They are an average team who was better equipped to handle a monsoon game than we were/are.

They lost to Syracuse and Georgia Tech. They ain't good.
how about "improving"? after some very down years they are in contention for the coastal, they have a very good, possibly excellent, new coach, they reached the top 20, and they're recruiting better. i see them as a significant obstacle to carolina's success. don't you?

Fedora has shown he can win against pretty average-to-good teams. FSU is not that good this year. They have Cook, but they are not the typical FSU powerhouse. Fedora can't beat SEC teams. Couldn't beat USC, and couldn't beat GA. He couldn't beat Clemson when it really mattered. he lost the bowl game with the best team UNC has had in years. He's lost 3 games this year that he never should have lost. And, he's playing teams that are not usually ranked. The SEC has far better teams.

Fedora will fail at LSU. Auburn tossed Chizik and Chizik brought Auburn a National Championship! He's the DC here now. You think they're going to get Fedora? I don't see it.

Fedora has it made here. He can get by with frequent 3-4 loss seasons. That will not cut it in Baton Rouge.
Average Longhorn fan in 1997: "Mack Brown? What kind of garbage hire is that? The man has never won a single ACC championship. If you can never win the ACC, you aren't going to win the Big 12, much less a National Title. OU will out-recruit you and beat you, year after year. We just hired another mediocre coach we'll have to replace in 4 or 5 years."

Reactions: Realfreedom
how about "improving"? after some very down years they are in contention for the coastal, they have a very good, possibly excellent, new coach, they reached the top 20, and they're recruiting better. i see them as a significant obstacle to carolina's success. don't you?
YES. I know what Fuente accomplished at Memphis, against the worst odds. Larry Porter left Memphis in perhaps the worst disarray it ever faced. Players and boosters were all demoralized. Talent had hit rock bottom. There was no discipline in the program in any sense.

No he could not. He wouldn't last 3 years at LSU- they would run him out on a rail for his boneheaded decisions and failure to adjust in game.

Could you imagine how Tiger Stadium would react to a game where Leonard Fournette got 12 carries at 15 YPC while the QB chucked 4 interceptions?

I like Fedora just fine for Carolina. But he has yet to show the coaching skill needed to compete for the playoffs on a yearly basis.
IMHO, you're way off. Do you not remember that Les Miles had the nickname of The Mad Hatter because he'd do crazy fake FGs and ish like that? LSU fans loved that about him; they just hated that he couldn't get his team to score any points.

They'd love Fedora if he was able to get the Tigers to put up 30 a game.

Average Longhorn fan in 1997: "Mack Brown? What kind of garbage hire is that? The man has never won a single ACC championship. If you can never win the ACC, you aren't going to win the Big 12, much less a National Title. OU will out-recruit you and beat you, year after year. We just hired another mediocre coach we'll have to replace in 4 or 5 years."
Average LSU fan in 2016: "Larry Fedora? What kind of garbage hire is that? The man has never won a single ACC championship and can't even win the coastal division. If you can never win the ACC, you aren't going to win the SEC west, much less a National Title. Alabama will out-recruit you and beat you, year after year. We just hired another mediocre coach we'll have to replace in 3 or 4 years."

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Average LSU fan in 2016: "Larry Fedora? What kind of garbage hire is that? The man has never won a single ACC championship and can't even win the coastal division. If you can never win the ACC, you aren't going to win the SEC west, much less a National Title. Alabama will out-recruit you and beat you, year after year. We just hired another mediocre coach we'll have to replace in 3 or 4 years."
And, they will be right. Larry Fedora is not Mack Brown.

If UNC is always just going to be a middle rung in a ladder for football coaches, then it's best to not get your hopes up for any kind of domination, or frequent participation in college football prowess. I think we're used to that by now. It shouldn't be a difficult thing to adjust to handling it.

If Fedora was really about loyalty and building something, he'd stay. I'm fine with 3-4 loss seasons in football. I always have been. But, what I do NOT tolerate is a coach who abandons his obligation. If that loss to Duke was over his lack of interest and thinking about his new job? Then I hope he fails miserably at LSU and he deserves it. I will pull for anyone who plays them and curse his tenure here.

Brown showed he could win bowl games. The only team he couldn't beat was Bowden's FSU teams of the mid-90's. Very few teams from anywhere could beat them. Brown also had a much longer tenure at UNC and you could guarantee that the program was on the incline. Fedora is doing much worse this year than last year.

I'm aware that Fedora is making UNC a better football team. But, losing 3-5 games a year at UNC is a lot more acceptable than losing them at LSU. And, with the way college ball is now, you can barely lose ONE game! LSU wants to be in the final 4.

I cannot imagine Jimbo Fisher leaving FSU. To me, that would be foolish. FSU is more iconic than LSU!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT