ADVERTISEMENT

Fedora

I tried to tell y'all all summer that we would lose to UGA.

Yes you did. But do you think now in hindsight that we should have beaten them, that we're a more talented, better team? And I think we'd definitely both agree that we should have beaten SoCar last year. If so, does that fall on the coach for not getting his team ready to win games that they should win (not to mention games that would be huge for the program even if the team they beat isn't all that great).

Not trying to bash Fed, because I think he's a great coach for us, but I think one hole in his coaching is that he doesn't get the team ready for big games - hopefully we see him turn that around

Can we please stop saying VT is resurgent? They are an average team who was better equipped to handle a monsoon game than we were/are.

They lost to Syracuse and Georgia Tech. They ain't good.

Maybe by some grace of God they lose to UVA too...

Brown showed he could win bowl games. The only team he couldn't beat was Bowden's FSU teams of the mid-90's. Very few teams from anywhere could beat them. Brown also had a much longer tenure at UNC and you could guarantee that the program was on the incline. Fedora is doing much worse this year than last year.

I'm aware that Fedora is making UNC a better football team. But, losing 3-5 games a year at UNC is a lot more acceptable than losing them at LSU. And, with the way college ball is now, you can barely lose ONE game! LSU wants to be in the final 4.

I cannot imagine Jimbo Fisher leaving FSU. To me, that would be foolish. FSU is more iconic than LSU!
Mack was 3-2 in bowls at UNC. That's much better then Fedora. but it is not world beating. Mack's last 2 teams were right on the cusp of greatness, but the 1995 team was only 6-5 in regular season. Mack was only 5 games over .500 in ACC play; Fedora is 13 games over .500 in ACC play.

A school can look at Fedora and see him as being as much a possibility to hit it really big as Texas saw Mack.

Mack was 3-2 in bowls at UNC. That's much better then Fedora. but it is not world beating. Mack's last 2 teams were right on the cusp of greatness, but the 1995 team was only 6-5 in regular season. Mack was only 5 games over .500 in ACC play; Fedora is 13 games over .500 in ACC play.

A school can look at Fedora and see him as being as much a possibility to hit it really big as Texas saw Mack.
Well, if he goes, he goes. If he's given-up on our kids because he's leaving, I hope he fails miserably.

Reactions: tarheel0910
If Fedora is going to go, he should do it now. This team will not have nearly the personnel in the next few years as it has this season. His stock won't be higher than it is now for several years.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Well, if he goes, he goes. If he's given-up on our kids because he's leaving, I hope he fails miserably.

Fedora doesn't strike me as the type to give up. He does however strike me as the type to get outcoached and that is what happened in Derm

Yes you did. But do you think now in hindsight that we should have beaten them, that we're a more talented, better team? And I think we'd definitely both agree that we should have beaten SoCar last year. If so, does that fall on the coach for not getting his team ready to win games that they should win (not to mention games that would be huge for the program even if the team they beat isn't all that great).
Yes we should've beaten UGA. I said that before we played them while telling y'all we wouldn't win.

I don't necessarily blame Fedora (at least not 100%). It's a program thing. When we play a marquee opponent, we freak out and can't handle it. We need a couple wins against SEC schools to get us over the hump. Until then, we will continue to s*** the bed every time we face an SEC school or Clemson. The FSU win is a start but we need a couple more.

FSU is not the FSU of old. Wins against them or Miami don't carry the weight they once did. We simply are a second tier team, bottom line. Every chance we've gotten to bust through that ceiling we hit our head and come crashing down (USuck last year to open season, UGa to open this season, Va tech this year, etc). Fedora has given us some stability in winning and getting to bowl games but we still aren't a top 15-25 program consistently like I had hoped at this point. As somebody else said, I don't see the talent coming in to replace some of those that we are losing which could lead to us seeing a drop in success in the coming years. I don't think we will be bad, but don't think we will be knocking on the door of an ACC title either.

Fedora is Fedora. Looks the part, acts the part, but does some bonehead shit in big games that let's you know real quick he's no Nick Saban. Good guy, probably good for our program if we are OK with winning but not getting over the hump.

Fedora has given some stability in winning and getting to bowl games but we still aren't a top 15-25 program consistently like I had hoped at this point.
You say "at this point." But given the scholarship restrictions, negative recruiting and other mess that he inherited, I'm not sure we are to that "point" just yet. But I really believe we are moving in the right direction and can and will get there.

Fedora is Fedora. Looks the part, acts the part, but does some bonehead shit in big games that let's you know real quick he's no Nick Saban. Good guy, probably good for our program if we are OK with winning but not getting over the hump.
You have the right to your opinion, but it's a pretty terrible opinion. It also provides me a nice juxtaposition to post the following. I posted this on our OOTB Fedora discussion and I think it bears repeating here:

"Consistent basketball success seriously has made our fanbase stupid. We have zero perspective. We are currently in the era of arguably the best or second best football coach we have ever had.......and a lot of our fanbase can't see it."

Reactions: uncboy10
How do you know we are not close to getting over the hump?

I think with 2 differences. last year's team easily could have been in the ACC Championship 12-0 and able to beat Clemson. 1) Play Trubisky at QB and maximize easily the best WR 4-some in the country (Davis, Switzer, Bug, Hollins); have a DT come in and be to us what Nick Fairly was at Auburn: totally disrupt the middle of every OL he faced.

Marquise Williams lost the SoCar game all by his lonesome, so it ought to be easy to see how playing Trubusky would have taken care of the only regular season Loss. A DT like Fairley would have caused everybody major headaches, and they would have doubled him almost every play every game - and that would have freed the rest of our Front 7 to get to the ball quicker.

We are not that far off from being a 13-0 team in the playoffs.

And that is what LSU people who are interested in Fedora see. They know that recruiting 3-deep talent is considerably easier at LSU than recruiting 2-deep talent at UNC.

Reactions: uncboy10
You have the right to your opinion, but it's a pretty terrible opinion. It also provides me a nice juxtaposition to post the following. I posted this on our OOTB Fedora discussion and I think it bears repeating here:

"Consistent basketball success seriously has made our fanbase stupid. We have zero perspective. We are currently in the era of arguably the best or second best football coach we have ever had.......and a lot of our fanbase can't see it."
I think your assessment about the fan base is correct. That level of basketball success ruins every school's fan base: see UK, KU, IU, and Dook for additional crystal clear examples.

For us, it has meant that fans demand too much too soon. Basketball is much easier to build and rebuild. In basketball, you can go from 4 straight .500 teams to a Regional Final 1 in one year, simply by signing 2 super star recruits and 1 high 3-star who meshes well with the 2 5-stars.

In football, you get past 4 consecutive .500 teams to the level of Top 8 with 3 consecutive Top 15 recruiting classes. And that is virtually impossible to do in football - unless you are a football Blue Blood averaging at least 80K per game.

If you see UNC football through the lens of basketball, or even the lens of the NFL, you will not see the right picture.

Reactions: Realfreedom
Marquise Williams lost the SoCar game all by his lonesome,
You must not be familiar with the play calling in that game.

A DT like Fairley would have caused everybody major headaches, and they would have doubled him almost every play every game - and that would have freed the rest of our Front 7 to get to the ball quicker.
Whose job is it to get a "Fairley" like recruit at UNC? Yes I know we don't have the facilities, fan base, NCAA crap, blah blah blah. At the end of the day it's his job.

Listen, no one is saying that he's a bad coach and should be fired, but in my opinion he hasn't shown anything to suggest he could win SEC championships, much less a national championship.

Fedora and LSU! LMAO! A Elite High School coach would be a better selection!
UNC is not a Football School! Go to a bowl game every year and be happy. He's in the right place.

Last edited:
assuming fedora could get lsu over a 30 point threshold week in and week out is as logical as chizik fielding a defense remotely close to what he's had at his previous three stops.

this offense doesn't work often enough down here in the sec, imo...and even more than style/philosophy, it's the obvious game management gene that fedora lacks that will get him fired.

but hey, if he wants to go, go.

We've been ranked in the top 15-25 range each of the last two years, and that's after 5 years of recruiting sanctions. In fact we've done better than that, capping at #10 last season and #13 (in the coaches poll) this season. Consistency only becomes consistency after it's been built, and right now, it's being built. 5 years ago we would have BEGGED to have been ranked. Now it's the norm.

FSU is not the FSU of old. Wins against them or Miami don't carry the weight they once did. We simply are a second tier team, bottom line. Every chance we've gotten to bust through that ceiling we hit our head and come crashing down (USuck last year to open season, UGa to open this season, Va tech this year, etc). Fedora has given us some stability in winning and getting to bowl games but we still aren't a top 15-25 program consistently like I had hoped at this point. As somebody else said, I don't see the talent coming in to replace some of those that we are losing which could lead to us seeing a drop in success in the coming years. I don't think we will be bad, but don't think we will be knocking on the door of an ACC title either.

Marquise Williams lost the SoCar game all by his lonesome

No he didn't he never should have had the chance to lose that game by himself, why was he throwing the ball when Hood was getting 10 yards a carry?

Fed gets out coached every week weather we win or lose, great recruiter terrible game coach, and anyone that sees it any differant is blind or just knows nothing about football!

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Fed gets out coached every week weather we win or lose, great recruiter terrible game coach, and anyone that sees it any differant is blind or just knows nothing about football!
generally speaking he's a mediocre game coach, but seems like there's always a couple games where he is in fact terrible. imo the va tech game is a better example than the dook disaster. against va tech logan was averaging 5 yds/carry and francis 9 yds/carry, but they got very few carries. a pass-first game plan was ridiculous in that wind. yes, he's landing top 25 recruiting classes. but recruiting well at unc is not a remarkable achievement. I like fedora's style and his rapport with the kids. he'll have us in the top 25 most of the time which is cool, but we'll always lose some key games being out coached. best case scenario is fedora hires a first rate coordinator and gives him total control (not gonna happen because fedora considers himself an offensive genius). fed may get mentioned for some good jobs but a top flight football school isn't going to hire him until he consistently wins the coastal.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
I was hyped but got kicked in the gut once again. The fact that we got shellacked by a "very, very, very average team" and can't win a "very, very average division" illustrates my point.

At least VT has a good DC to build on. I'm losing more confidence in Chizik weekly.

I never give up on my Heels, I've been a faithful fan for 57 years now, since I was six. You'd think I would learn to expect football mediocrity but every year I think this might be the year we turn it around. I'm sure next year I'll think the same thing.

Right now i just want to win out and end on a high note.

I see where you're coming from on Chiziks defense,but then again we don't have near the studs he had at Auburn either.It's all moot anyways,if Fedora leaves and he doesn't get the offer he'll leave also.

Fedora would be far more memorable if he built a legacy program out of UNC.
That is the Bobby Dodd point. Frank Broyles played for Dodd at GT and always consulted Dodd about everything he did of any importance. When Dodd was retiring, many GT boosters wanted Broyles and asked Dodd to influence Broyles, who had won a National Title at Arkansas. What Dodd told Broyles was that it is best to become a Legend at a school and that following a Legend would be very tough and often was impossible.

Broyles stayed at Arkansas.

That is the Bobby Dodd point. Frank Broyles played for Dodd at GT and always consulted Dodd about everything he did of any importance. When Dodd was retiring, many GT boosters wanted Broyles and asked Dodd to influence Broyles, who had won a National Title at Arkansas. What Dodd told Broyles was that it is best to become a Legend at a school and that following a Legend would be very tough and often was impossible.

Broyles stayed at Arkansas.
To one day have a Fedora Field, you probably won't follow 5 other great coaches.

If Fedora is going to go, he should do it now. This team will not have nearly the personnel in the next few years as it has this season. His stock won't be higher than it is now for several years.

this is very similar to what happened at southern miss...he left for a better job, had a bad loss during the year, and he was losing a ton of experience.

A coach whose teams routinely underperform in big games and rivalry games is NOT a very good coach. Bottom line, there have been years like this year we are no less than 2 scores better than State and lose. USuck, UGa, Duke, etc.

Don't know what it is but Fedora is still a lot of sizzle and no steak.

Reactions: strummingram
This season's outcome made last season look like a total fluke.
It was, thanks to a soft schedule. It's time we accept that this is a program with an eight win ceiling. As long as Fedora can average 7-8 wins we might as well keep him. The next coach wouldn't do any better.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
How do you know we are not close to getting over the hump?

I think with 2 differences. last year's team easily could have been in the ACC Championship 12-0 and able to beat Clemson. 1) Play Trubisky at QB and maximize easily the best WR 4-some in the country (Davis, Switzer, Bug, Hollins); have a DT come in and be to us what Nick Fairly was at Auburn: totally disrupt the middle of every OL he faced.

Marquise Williams lost the SoCar game all by his lonesome, so it ought to be easy to see how playing Trubusky would have taken care of the only regular season Loss. A DT like Fairley would have caused everybody major headaches, and they would have doubled him almost every play every game - and that would have freed the rest of our Front 7 to get to the ball quicker.

We are not that far off from being a 13-0 team in the playoffs.

And that is what LSU people who are interested in Fedora see. They know that recruiting 3-deep talent is considerably easier at LSU than recruiting 2-deep talent at UNC.
We are still working on 1 deep talent on the "D".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT