ADVERTISEMENT

Fedora

Great post Arch. Thanks for sharing.

Obviously you and I have been in the same boat on Fedora. Candidly, his resume looks even worse when you look behind the numbers at some of our "better" seasons under his leadership. As said above, the league is getting better, a lot better frankly and we are quickly falling to the bottom third of the league with a runway of continued failure due to poor recruiting. I'm telling you guys, it will be more damaging to wait and give Fed another year or so. Let's say we give him next year and we win another 2-3 games. No matter who we hire, it will take them 2 years before we are a legit .500 team and then another year or 2 to get us in the mix and that's assuming we can turn around recruiting immediately. Give the new guy a chance to install his system and at least develop some depth next year and recruit like hell to get better talent.

I don't recall.... what did he say? I'm guessing he defended the decisions to not run Hood more when he was having his way with SC.

basically...he defended being “behind the chains”which is total bs on the 4 yard line.

then instead of saying he(hood) should’ve gotten the ball from the four, he said if he runs it like that he should run it more.

he isn’t deviating from anything, period.

watching his postgame vs georgia to see how much this correlates...trying to hold in my vomit.

there’s the rub...the trend in cfb is the spread...most of these up and coming guys are doing this, which is fine, but you better stop people and you better have a qb.

my problem with fedora isn’t always scheme, it’s more about philosophy and adjustments.

his post-game presser after scarolina two years ago is when he lost me.
You better have the RBs and the right OC.

Fedora seems to be dead set on assuming that his spread is more than fine if his QB can run well, which means RB recruiting, retention, and development is not close to the most important thing.

SoCar is much better than we are, and the leading rusher is Ty'son Williams.

We had an RB roster that was shallow, and Williams still left.

Richt is showing magic at Miami. Fuente could be as big a winner at VT as Beamer was. Paul Johnson will always be an irritant at GT able to win 9 or more games at least every 3rd year. Cutcliffe is the best coach Dook could hope for, and he is out-coaching Fedora. Narduzzi has all the regional ties and know-how to make Pitt a competitive team annually. And Mendenhall clearly has UVA back on the right track.

And that's just our division.

Exactly. If you're not sure that Surratt is far enough along to get the job done, play Byrd or Elliott. If Fed doesn't know that Harris isn't the answer by now, I think those Red Bulls have fried his brain. No use trying to salvage this season, it's a complete shambles. So get these other young guys some experience or next year won't be much better, even without the rash of injuries.

He says he's hasn't "lost the team" but I fear he's done just that. I also think he senses his time in Chapel Hill may be over after next year if he doesn't guide them to a big turnaround. Can't come soon enough for me. We are the laughingstock of the conference. Like G, I fear we'll win 5-6 games next year and we'll decide to give him another damn extension.

This team isn't lost, they're just bad.

The guys look like they are playing hard, they just aren't very good. ARW gives up on one and INT and winds up on the ground, but gets up and eventually makes the tackle on the cornerback 30 yards down - hustle. The D is getting TFLs, sacks, forcing fumbles in the 4th, all that is either hustle. Occasionally the OL will execute and look decent. They came out of half-time not looking lost at all on those running plays with Carter that resulted in two TDs. That isn't being a "lost team" either, it is just lacking skill or cohesion or bad coaching.

Fedora seems to be dead set on assuming that his spread is more than fine if his QB can run well, which means RB recruiting, retention, and development is not close to the most important thing.

Ty'son left cuz he got his girl preggers, right?

If you are trying to insinuate that he left due to something like carries per game, well the max he's had in a single game all yr is 14.

Last edited:

Right now we've got Michael Carter (FR), and Jordan Brown (SO), who look like one hell of a 1-2 punch IMO. They've both looked extremely impressive, especially in the rare instances where the o-line have opened up holes. I think Carter will actually turn out to be the next Gio Bernard. If we can keep the o-line healthy for the next few years we should have a strong running game established for 2-3 years.

What we need is a passer who can quickly read defenses at all three levels, and deliver the ball with velocity and precise accuracy.

I also think Fed needs to simplify what they're doing at the LOS, and get back to going FAST. Defenses used to get gassed against this offense because of how quickly we snapped the ball. Having two young talented running backs should make that easier, because we can rotate those guys to keep them fresh, and it should open up space in the passing game as teams have to compensate for the run.

What we do at the line of scrimmage is already pretty simple so not sure how much more we can dumb it down. We zone block majority of the time to play fast and spread the ball around. We have some talent at running back but unfortunately we won't see how good those guys can be without a good core line. It comes down to talent. We don't have talent in A LOT of places, O line being one of those.

So,let's get this right....some of you braniacs insist on firing Fedora this year even with a $17million buyout.

So try running that by Bubba and Folt...who both have been preaching since they got here that Carolina will NOT allow the tail to wag the dog. I'm sure they can't wait to tell people "We are above education and character above all so we fired a guy that agreed to come here despite a dark cloud hovering which ended up lasting SEVEN years. And all because he didn't win enough in the process."

Lord luv a duck, some of you need to enroll at Kow Kollege to find peer groups.

So,let's get this right....some of you braniacs insist on firing Fedora this year even with a $17million buyout.

So try running that by Bubba and Folt...who both have been preaching since they got here that Carolina will NOT allow the tail to wag the dog. I'm sure they can't wait to tell people "We are above education and character above all so we fired a guy that agreed to come here despite a dark cloud hovering which ended up lasting SEVEN years. And all because he didn't win enough in the process."

Best I've read in a while.

Reactions: ticket2ride04

The buyout is insane. ADs who give such deals to coaches who fail and flounder tend to get fired either right before or right after the coaches get fired.

Fedora sacrificed nothing in taking the UNC job. He has been been paid very well to be mediocre overall. And mediocre on a hard downward slide is a bad thing. Ultimately, it will cost even more than that insane buyout.

Something needs to be done. I'd much prefer three 2-10 years in a row, if there was a 10+ win season with an ACC championship thrown in, as opposed to continuous 6-8 win seasons. Making some garbage bowl game doesn't mean crap.

Now, I'm not sure that it's Fedora's fault that the team is unwatchable. He certainly isn't helping anything, but I'm not sure how much he's hurting it. He does make some boneheaded decisions, but he might be the best coach we can get. Not sure if we'll ever get a tier 1 or tier 2 coach with a fan base that's soft as puppy poo. Gotta settle for the middling coaches like Fedora until that changes.

Lol not wasting my time on responding to this thread. Everyone knew coming into this season that it was a rebuild. And that was before the rash of injuries. Now y'all are shocked that our record is bad?
When everything falls apart, fan naturally see things as major that before, when they had some hope, they let ride as problematic but not a big deal. When everything goes bad, all those little things are necessarily added up.

Most of us are adding up, and the sum aint purty.

In judging diving or figure skating, the high and low scores are tossed out, and the rest are averaged. If we do that with Fedora, tossing out 11 wins and this season, what do we have? Mediocre.

And that Mediocre average looks worse when we note that his best season (not tossed out for scoring ala diving) is his first UNC team, which was 8-4: that team had SRs and JRs and 3rd year Sophs recruited and coached by Butch.

What in all that should lead us to be optimistic about Fedora as UNC HC?

A little else to chew on. Vic Koenning was a sound DC before serving under Fedora at UNC. At UNC under Fedora, Koenning might have been the worst DC in a P5 league. At Troy St. Koenning is good enough a DC to beat LSU in Baton Rouge.

What does that suggest about Fedora's ability to maximize his assistants' abilities?

Fedora also failed to maximize Gene Chizik. At Auburn, Chizik had the best D in the country in 2004. At Texas, Chizik was DC of a National Chjamp. As Auburn HC, Chizik won a National Championship. At UNC, Chizik looked like maybe a high average DC.

Perhaps Fedora is the reason DCs under Fedora don't look very good.

Kapilovic is often referred to as a long time Fedora assistant, in fact back to his 1st year as USM HC. Almost all UNC football fans see Kap as at best a low average OC who also seems to have let the OL slip in every way while OC. Is this a case of Fedora hurting the program because of playing BFF?

Does Fedora's offense suffer because he plays favorites and/or makes promises to certain players and/or their families? I am trying to figure any other possibility for playing Brandon Harris, save the fact that Fedora is an idiot when it comes to QBs.

Our style of offense definitely makes it hard on any defense regardless of talent. A lot of very quick 3 and outs on offense equals more defender plays and a tired 2nd half defense. Law of averages. not rocket science.

Jim McElwain of Florida is on the Hot Seat. His first 2 years at UF, he won the SEC East. This is his 3rd team at UF, and he is 3-3.

McElwain is on the Hot Seat for winning his division both seasons he has completed and for already having 3 Ls in his third year. And that is with the great miracle W over Tennessee.

Are Gators boosters nuts? Yes, as Steve Spurrier can attest.

But there is the other side. UF is a huge school, the flagship school, in a state that now produces more D1 and P5 talent than either TX or CA. FL borders GA, which produces the 4th most D1 football players in the country. The SEC East is still down, because Tennessee is down. And, most important, Florida does not seem to be making any progress. In fact, many think the Gators could be headed down a bit.

Clearly. the UGA future looks as bright as it ever has save during the Herschel years. Tennessee is actually loaded with talent, and the right new coach could produce a 9, or even 10, win season his 1st year. SoCar looks to be rebuilding at least to consistent bowl team that could upset a division champ. UK has amassed a lot of talent for UK. Vandy keeps trucking along. Mizzou was gutted from the fallout of the Black Lives Matter demonstrations and demands and in desperation hired an alum with 0 HC experience, who inherited a totally dispirited program and seems overwhelmed. The right coach will have Mizzou back to competitive by his 2nd year.

Florida boosters and fans are not going to accept any fall from where the program is now. And they expect hope for next year to be better, and to be in the hunt for the East title most years and the SEC championship at least 3 or 4 times per decade. And while they made the SEC CG the past 2 seasons, they were NOT in the hunt to upset Bama - not close.

So I understand the growing desire to fire McElwain. And I would trade Fedora for McElwain as soon as the offer could be made.

Reactions: Archer2
I will admit that I was excited when he was announced as the new head coach. Even with all the criticisms I heard about him (quick offense tires out our defense, loses games against inferior teams), I thought he bring new life to the program. But to be honest, I just don't see it working. No coach at UNC should have a losing record against Duke football. I know Duke probably isn't as bad as they were before Cutcliffe got there, but that's a must win game.

Who do you think the Heels can get if they fire Fedora after this season?

Yeah, you're probably right. They will probably give him at least another year due to all the injuries the team has had this season.

Reactions: 4reman4evr
Hopefully Fed can blow up the 2018 recruiting class and land a few big targets. Miami has a top 5 class coming together. We need to keep up

BC is all over UVA 24-0 in 2nd quarter.

We lose at home to UVA, and UVA at home is getting murdered by BC.

Syracuse fought Miami to the last play. That QB and most of the Cuse team return.

Next year, we have to play Cuse in the Carrier Dome.

nobody in their right mind would prefer a 6-8 win year in 10 year span when you continuously spit out top p5 talent and nfl talent.

this program should dominate this state and should fight miami for the coastal every year.

i expect to win 8 games a year and play for the division every year...that’s no different than gatech, uva, or vatech.

The buyout is obviously a bit stiff, but one could see bigger problems in the future. Now Fedora talks a good game. Always has, always will. But don't forget that he left the talent cupboard bare when he left So Miss. Just ask the two staffs that followed his regime in Hattiesburg. And the biggest problem coming down the pike is apathy. As we all know it has always taken something special to get the majority of the fan base excited about football. No need to look back further than this years Louisville game. The season was still very young, and hopes were still high for at least a decent season. At that point Louisville was very highly ranked with the Heisman winner at QB. Wasn't close to a sell out. Continue down this same path and you are going to be playing in a half empty stadium as folks twiddle their thumbs while waiting on basketball to start. You get enough apathy surrounding a program and it can take years to recover no matter who the coach may be.

Lol not wasting my time on responding to this thread. Everyone knew coming into this season that it was a rebuild. And that was before the rash of injuries. Now y'all are shocked that our record is bad?
I accidentally (drunkenly) stumbled over to the free board tonight. Goodness son, you are doing the Lord's work itt. It's like wading through a giant sea of human waste.

I have seen some really exciting football with Fed as our coach, saw that really exciting stuff while we were under a huge dark NCAA cloud. Hasn't been all good up to this season, back to back opening losses to SEC teams still hurt, we need to own duke and the wuffies. But it wasn't that long ago we were worried if we may lose Fed, seems now days folks wish we had?

Fans can be strange creatures at times, going in to this season we lost more offensive players than any team in the nation, all our skill positions. With just that alone we knew, well we knew prior to the season this one would be a struggle. We hoped either the transfer from LSU or Surratt would be able to step in for Mitch, maybe the team strength was the OLine that could protect our new QBs. Well that lone did look good on paper, until it totally fell apart with kids leaving and an amazing string of injuries. And while neither QB has looked great it has got worse as our oline has fallen away, funny how that works. Not to mention the guys the QBs throw to, they have gone done one by one, what are we playing, 4th string guys now?

So our offense can't move the ball with half the team on IR, the defense spends way more time on the field and oh by the way it is banged up to.

And yet here we are, the lynch mob is out? I kinda see what I would expect to see from a team as injured as ours and that had to replace as many starters as we had to going in. I recall during the season after Roy's second natty, our basketball team was whacked with multiple injuries, more starting minutes lost by us that season than any other team in NCAA history and we blew the old record away big time. But of course we struggled that season and yet there were folks calling for Roy's head to?

While I hate to watch us lose, I am not sure how anyone can expect more considering the circumstances. We are not Alabama able to have a 4 & 5 star talent on the 4 deep, we are UNC and lucky to get a 4 star starter. This always was going to be a rebuilding year rather than a reloading year but the injuries have just made it tuffer.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Nobody is criticisizing fed based on the results. Idk how many times that has to be clarified. Losing isn't the problem. Bad play calling, fundamentals, and other coaching issues while losing are the problem. No need to willingly ignore the arguments actually being made. Especially when most posters aren't even calling for him to be fired. We just want to see improvement in areas where it is obviously much needed.

Nobody is criticisizing fed based on the results. Idk how many times that has to be clarified. Losing isn't the problem. Bad play calling, fundamentals, and other coaching issues while losing are the problem. No need to willingly ignore the arguments actually being made. Especially when most posters aren't even calling for him to be fired. We just want to see improvement in areas where it is obviously much needed.
Correct. All that adds up to revealing deep problems that do not go away with fewer injuries, nor even with more experience.

Correct. All that adds up to revealing deep problems that do not go away with fewer injuries, nor even with more experience.

Clock management, play calling, and fundamentals coaching certainly can improve as head coaches gain experience. We have to hope this season humbles Fed and forces him to address those issues.

Fed humbled? Dude will ride the injury excuse for a long time. Now that the NCAA mess is behind us, he will be hard pressed to find excuses but when one is presented he will latch onto it. Despite injuries, we were .500 at best this season and next season with everybody healthy will be equally as bad. This is a direct result of poor recruiting, lack of discipline and fundamentals, and overall bad program management. The biggest missing piece in our puzzle is at QB and we don’t have anybody on campus or heading to campus in the next year or 2 who looks like they have the ability to lead us past mediocrity.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
We will also continue to have a hard time recruiting top talent and quality depth on the defensive side of the ball given our scheme on offense and how we consistently put our D in bad spots.

Reactions: gteeitup
We will also continue to have a hard time recruiting top talent and quality depth on the defensive side of the ball given our scheme on offense and how we consistently put our D in bad spots.

i’ve been saying that since year one...fed spread at his pace when it doesn’t work is a time bomb...and forget about being physical in practice vs spread offenses.

clemson used to be about volume of plays, now they are more physical, and if the ground game is working, that’s where they punish you...not larry though, nope.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT