ADVERTISEMENT

Fedora

i'm glad to see/read that his role in the offense will be more involved...if i see more efficiency and production now, then i can fault him for not realizing this sooner...i have asked for this since 2015, just call the freakin plays and live or die by it...answer the questions in your pressers about why you may have called a jet sweep on the 2, a screen from your end zone, and not running hood from the 4 vs scarolina.

if i don't see positives, then i can at least say development just isn't there or youth is playing a part/ or both.

i've given up caring about scores when the clock reads 0:00...i also don't care about attendance anymore or putting emphasis on watching...i'll dvr the games unless i'm just home.

unfortunately, this is exactly where i was in late 2006...i hate being there, but it is what it is.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
MW never should have started in 2015. As he was up and down in 2014, he should have been replaced by Trubisky during that season.

When MW shat the bed against SoCar early and later, Trubisky should have been given the noid for the entire 2nd half. We would have won that game.

The program has never been right in terms of full cohesion and unity and satisfied players since the end of that season. When what a program takes away from an 11 win season is a whole lot of negative, a lot of player dissension and dissatisfaction, then something went badly wrong during that season that most likely began before it started.

MW and his posse and their demands and Fedora caving 'to keep the locker room' are central to continuing team turmoil. I no longer think Fedora can clean up the mess he made and make UNC football what it should be.

Trubisky shat the bed vs UGA.

MW, Landon, Romar, Jon Heck and Ferranto were probably the only starters not 100% recruited by Fed. What posse? And where was the dissension when we won 10 straight games. I'd like more of that dissension, not less please. The OL played well, Hood was fantastic, the WR & Fritts were happy... Dalton Stogner and Feiaulteua might have been dissenters.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Trubisky shat the bed vs UGA.

MW, Landon, Romar, Jon Heck and Ferranto were probably the only starters not 100% recruited by Fed. What posse? And where was the dissension when we won 10 straight games. I'd like more of that dissension, not less please. The OL played well, Hood was fantastic, the WR & Fritts were happy... Dalton Stogner and Feiaulteua might have been dissenters.
Don't engage him in the MW argument.

Is he saying that in his press conferences? I've got where I don't really listen to them anymore, because it's usually a bunch of crap.

basically, so we'll see if there's any noticeable change...he's at a point now where if these young cats are gonna learn anything from practice or game reps, he should be the teacher.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I think that if this year is a 2 or 3 Win season and next year is another losing season, that Fedora will get fired.
Who is going to buy out his contract? School, Educational Foundation, individual fat cats?
We've paid out a considerable amount in recent years to keep coaches from working here.

Such as who? I can't think of a coach that has been fired in any sport since Butch.
I was thinking of Butch, and before him Bunting and Torbush (maybe even Withers - but I'm not sure of his deal).

I was thinking of Butch, and before him Bunting and Torbush (maybe even Withers - but I'm not sure of his deal).
Bunting and Torbush didn't make that much money. There was enough money in the donors' left shoe to pay those contracts. I don't think we've had to pay Butch anything for a while. The money is there to buy Fedora out if they want to.

Not even a little bit. Not sure what photos you are looking at.

Google "larry fedora shaved" it should be one of the first things to pop up. It's a picture of him at the podium. Idk to me he looks like a younger Rick Pitino.

Last edited:
This reminds me... What the hell ever happened to the look-a-like thread?

The old board format allowed you to poast pictures side to side for a neat, organized comparison.

When we switched to the new board format, it no longer did this, so the LAL threads got abandoned.

I'm going to write a strongly worded letter.

There are rumors that Arkansas boosters (which means Walmart and Tyson money) have told Mike Leach that they will pay whatever it takes to get him to Fayetteville.

I've wondered the same about Byrd. Like I stated earlier he was an all American in high school give him a shot.
Exactly. If you're not sure that Surratt is far enough along to get the job done, play Byrd or Elliott. If Fed doesn't know that Harris isn't the answer by now, I think those Red Bulls have fried his brain. No use trying to salvage this season, it's a complete shambles. So get these other young guys some experience or next year won't be much better, even without the rash of injuries.

He says he's hasn't "lost the team" but I fear he's done just that. I also think he senses his time in Chapel Hill may be over after next year if he doesn't guide them to a big turnaround. Can't come soon enough for me. We are the laughingstock of the conference. Like G, I fear we'll win 5-6 games next year and we'll decide to give him another damn extension.

archer I am a little surprised that you have soured so much on Fed.

This season is a disaster and I guess next year will tell the tale

SMH for so long just mediocrity and horrific play under so many different coaches.
Will I EVER see really good football in my lifetime in Kenan. It is ALL there ....Facilities $$$ God what do we need to do to get a top 15 program???

archer I am a little surprised that you have soured so much on Fed.

This season is a disaster and I guess next year will tell the tale

SMH for so long just mediocrity and horrific play under so many different coaches.
Will I EVER see really good football in my lifetime in Kenan. It is ALL there ....Facilities $$$ God what do we need to do to get a top 15 program???
I've given Fed every benefit of the doubt. But his constant poor game time decisions and his failure to hire a staff that can teach fundamentally sound football, have caused me to lose all faith in him. Even without the injuries, I believe this year was a .500 year at best.

Time for a change.

Think we maybe should have thrown the ball less? We averaged like 2 yards per pass...

Also, if I see two deep safeties again when the other team is trying to run the clock out I might have to stop watching. That entire 6 minute drive we didn't bring a safety into the box once, not even on 3rd and 1. I just don't get that.

Fed's resume while at UNC, from a poster called RoyIsTheBest on TOS follows. You decide for yourself if our program is headed in the right direction.

"Combined Record: 41-30 (26-17 ACC) -- 57.7% overall; 60.5% ACC
Bowl Appearances: 4 (not eligible in 2012 & probably won't make one in 2017)
Bowl Record: 1-3 .250 (beat Cincy in the 2013 Belk Bowl -- losses to Rutgers, Baylor, and Stanford)
Record Against Non-Conference Power 5 League Teams: 2-9 .222 (Including Bowls) -- only 2 wins vs. Illinois
Record Against Top 25 Opponents (ranked at the time we played them): 4-12 .333 (Wins -- FSU, Miami, dook, Pitt)

Brief Seasonal Summary:

2012 -- 8-4, 5-3, ineligible for Bowl due to NCAA sanctions. Finished in a 3-way tie for first in the Coastal with GT & Miami. Won tie-breaker, but couldn't play in title game. Non-conference wins -- Elon, Idaho, and ECU. Lost to GT 68-50 at home. Lost to Wake & dook. Many supporters say this was a great year since we won the Coastal. Many detractors say we were fortunate to avoid FSU & Clemson while Miami/GT had to play one of them. They were the 2 best teams by far in the ACC. Number of wins against ranked teams: zero.

2013 -- 7-6, 4-4, beat Cincinnati in Belk Bowl. Lost 5 of first 6, but came on strong & won 6 out of 7. Lost all 3 games to ranked teams. Beat Middle Tennessee & Old Dominion in non-conference. Lost to S Carolina & Notre Dame. An average overall season that ended on a high note.

2014 -- 6-7, 4-4 lost to Rutgers by 19 in the Quick Lube Bowl. Beat one ranked team (#25 dook). Beat Liberty & San Diego St. in the non-conference. Lost to ECU (70-41) & Notre Dame. Lost to NC State in final regular season game 35-7. In fact, SIX of the SEVEN LOSSES were by 15 points or more. We gave up 40+ points in 6 of 13 games.

2015 -- 11-3, 8-0, lost to #17 Baylor 49-38 (3rd/4th string QB) in Russell Athletic Bowl. Lost by 8 to Clemson in ACC Title Game. Beat one ranked team (#23 Pitt) all season. Non-conference wins vs. NC A&T, Delaware, and Illinois. Lost to S. Carolina. All Division 1-level wins were to teams who ultimately lost 5 games or more.

2016 -- 8-5, 5-3, lost to #16 Stanford (without McCaffrey) in Sun Bowl. Beat 2 ranked opponents in FSU & Miami. Lost to #18 Georgia by 9 & #25 Virginia Tech by 31 at home. Non-conference wins against Illinois, James Madison, and Citadel. Lost to unranked dook & unranked State -- part of the 1-3 finish to the year.

2017-to-date -- 1-5, 0-3 Only win vs. Old Dominion. All losses by double-digits except vs. California -- where UNC scored a meaningless TD in the final seconds. Combined with 2016's finish, UNC has gone 2-8 in their last 10 games with wins only against Citadel & Old Dominion."

Personally, I think we can do better. This is a program that is firmly mired in mediocrity, in a league that is improving every year. Not only do I not see us having a viable chance to win the conference anytime soon, we're sinking to the bottom third of the league. That should be unacceptable to every UNC fan.

Fed's resume while at UNC, from a poster called RoyIsTheBest on TOS follows. You decide for yourself if our program is headed in the right direction.

"Combined Record: 41-30 (26-17 ACC) -- 57.7% overall; 60.5% ACC
Bowl Appearances: 4 (not eligible in 2012 & probably won't make one in 2017)
Bowl Record: 1-3 .250 (beat Cincy in the 2013 Belk Bowl -- losses to Rutgers, Baylor, and Stanford)
Record Against Non-Conference Power 5 League Teams: 2-9 .222 (Including Bowls) -- only 2 wins vs. Illinois
Record Against Top 25 Opponents (ranked at the time we played them): 4-12 .333 (Wins -- FSU, Miami, dook, Pitt)

Brief Seasonal Summary:

2012 -- 8-4, 5-3, ineligible for Bowl due to NCAA sanctions. Finished in a 3-way tie for first in the Coastal with GT & Miami. Won tie-breaker, but couldn't play in title game. Non-conference wins -- Elon, Idaho, and ECU. Lost to GT 68-50 at home. Lost to Wake & dook. Many supporters say this was a great year since we won the Coastal. Many detractors say we were fortunate to avoid FSU & Clemson while Miami/GT had to play one of them. They were the 2 best teams by far in the ACC. Number of wins against ranked teams: zero.

2013 -- 7-6, 4-4, beat Cincinnati in Belk Bowl. Lost 5 of first 6, but came on strong & won 6 out of 7. Lost all 3 games to ranked teams. Beat Middle Tennessee & Old Dominion in non-conference. Lost to S Carolina & Notre Dame. An average overall season that ended on a high note.

2014 -- 6-7, 4-4 lost to Rutgers by 19 in the Quick Lube Bowl. Beat one ranked team (#25 dook). Beat Liberty & San Diego St. in the non-conference. Lost to ECU (70-41) & Notre Dame. Lost to NC State in final regular season game 35-7. In fact, SIX of the SEVEN LOSSES were by 15 points or more. We gave up 40+ points in 6 of 13 games.

2015 -- 11-3, 8-0, lost to #17 Baylor 49-38 (3rd/4th string QB) in Russell Athletic Bowl. Lost by 8 to Clemson in ACC Title Game. Beat one ranked team (#23 Pitt) all season. Non-conference wins vs. NC A&T, Delaware, and Illinois. Lost to S. Carolina. All Division 1-level wins were to teams who ultimately lost 5 games or more.

2016 -- 8-5, 5-3, lost to #16 Stanford (without McCaffrey) in Sun Bowl. Beat 2 ranked opponents in FSU & Miami. Lost to #18 Georgia by 9 & #25 Virginia Tech by 31 at home. Non-conference wins against Illinois, James Madison, and Citadel. Lost to unranked dook & unranked State -- part of the 1-3 finish to the year.

2017-to-date -- 1-5, 0-3 Only win vs. Old Dominion. All losses by double-digits except vs. California -- where UNC scored a meaningless TD in the final seconds. Combined with 2016's finish, UNC has gone 2-8 in their last 10 games with wins only against Citadel & Old Dominion."

Personally, I think we can do better. This is a program that is firmly mired in mediocrity, in a league that is improving every year. Not only do I not see us having a viable chance to win the conference anytime soon, we're sinking to the bottom third of the league. That should be unacceptable to every UNC fan.
Spot on post

Archer, I agree that those stats don't look overly impressive. My concern is that if we make another knee jerk reaction, who do we get that's better? We've proven quite often that we can make a bad situation worse.

there’s the rub...the trend in cfb is the spread...most of these up and coming guys are doing this, which is fine, but you better stop people and you better have a qb.

my problem with fedora isn’t always scheme, it’s more about philosophy and adjustments.

his post-game presser after scarolina two years ago is when he lost me.

Archer, I agree that those stats don't look overly impressive. My concern is that if we make another knee jerk reaction, who do we get that's better? We've proven quite often that we can make a bad situation worse.
Mark, we can't be paralyzed by fear. And we can't settle for mediocrity just because we're afraid things could get worse. Could they get worse? Yes, but not a whole lot worse. We're looking at a 2-10 season if we can beat WCU. Think about that for a minute. The 2-10 part is scary, the fact that I had to say if we beat WCU is even scarier.

Again, we can't be afraid to take a chance, even if it means failure. We really have no where to go but up.

my problem with fedora isn’t always scheme, it’s more about philosophy and adjustments.

his post-game presser after scarolina two years ago is when he lost me.
Amen. I don't know what infuriates me more, his idiotic in game decisions or the way he tries to justify them in his post game press conferences("Harris got the ball where he needed to".) WTF? Makes me think he doesn't have a freakin' clue and doesn't seem to be learning from his frequent mistakes.

Anyway, I'm going to try to stop saying "time for a change". I'm just going to ride the rest of his tenure out.

Mark, we can't be paralyzed by fear. And we can't settle for mediocrity just because we're afraid things could get worse. Could they get worse? Yes, but not a whole lot worse. We're looking at a 2-10 season if we can beat WCU. Think about that for a minute. The 2-10 part is scary, the fact that I had to say if we beat WCU is even scarier.

Again, we can't be afraid to take a chance, even if it means failure. We really have no where to go but up.
Good point. But I'm sure we won't see any changes until at least the end of next season at a minimum. Fed will get a "pass" for this year due to the ludicrous amount of injuries, but if we end up winning 6 and making some lame-ass bowl game next season, then I'm sure the PTB will keep him around. He would have to follow up this year's 2 win season with about 3-4 wins next year before a change is likely, IMO.

I've just accepted the fact that this season is already dead. BBall should be decent though, eh?

Anyway, I'm going to try to stop saying "time for a change". I'm just going to ride the rest of his tenure out.

6psZXJa.gif

Good point. But I'm sure we won't see any changes until at least the end of next season at a minimum. Fed will get a "pass" for this year due to the ludicrous amount of injuries, but if we end up winning 6 and making some lame-ass bowl game next season, then I'm sure the PTB will keep him around. He would have to follow up this year's 2 win season with about 3-4 wins next year before a change is likely, IMO.
That's what scares me, he goes .500 next year and we're satisfied enough to keep him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT