ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Newsome touches on problems in Democratic Party

Yeah, the VA isn't a great example. They're a very unique entity because they're both the payer and the provider. Medicare, on the other hand, has been a very successful program IMO. It's certainly not perfect but it has ensured that generations of Americans have had access to quality, affordable care.

Here's a question for everyone: Is healthcare a human right? I know my answer but I'm curious to hear others' opinions.
Nope, Access is, but not the actual care.

What exactly is working so well with the VA?

First you must understand that all of the HC entities we have in this country are not without problem. If you accept that, we can talk about the VA. Most of the VA's problems are highly politicized and much more glaring than any other form of coverage. By and large, vets are extremely happy with their coverage and wouldn't trade it. That doesn't mean it can't be tweaked/improved. It's just a misnomer that the VA is a total shit show.

Yeah, the VA isn't a great example. They're a very unique entity because they're both the payer and the provider. Medicare, on the other hand, has been a very successful program IMO. It's certainly not perfect but it has ensured that generations of the most vulnerable Americans (elderly and disabled) have had access to quality, affordable care.

Here's a question for everyone: Is healthcare a human right? I know my answer but I'm curious to hear others' opinions.

It certainly wasn't a right during the time of our founders. But so much has changed in the field of medicine. If you accept that the federal government should protect its people from foreign and domestic threats, it should also invest in the health and education of its people. We have the money and means to do it and it makes no sense to not have the healthiest/smartest population that can compete on the global stage.

First you must understand that all of the HC entities we have in this country are not without problem. If you accept that, we can talk about the VA. Most of the VA's problems are highly politicized and much more glaring than any other form of coverage. By and large, vets are extremely happy with their coverage and wouldn't trade it. That doesn't mean it can't be tweaked/improved. It's just a misnomer that the VA is a total shit show.

It certainly wasn't a right during the time of our founders. But so much has changed in the field of medicine. If you accept that the federal government should protect its people from foreign and domestic threats, it should also invest in the health and education of its people. We have the money and means to do it and it makes no sense to not have the healthiest/smartest population that can compete on the global stage.
Maybe you should tell the 2 vietnam vets, one navy and one marine, next door to me that the VA isn't a shit show.

Maybe you should tell the 2 vietnam vets, one navy and one marine, next door to me that the VA isn't a shit show.
Have you ever met someone who had trouble with private insurance? Or someone who received poor care from a regular hospital?

Going thru it right now Boss.
Sorry to hear that. Our family has had it's trouble too. My point is that when dealing with health, nothing is going to work well for everyone all the time. The problem with the VA has more to do with the reporting they do on themselves and the media coverage of it. Private hospitals don't have the same scrutiny.

Browse through these poasts

Sorry to hear that. Our family has had it's trouble too. My point is that when dealing with health, nothing is going to work well for everyone all the time. The problem with the VA has more to do with the reporting they do on themselves and the media coverage of it. Private hospitals don't have the same scrutiny.

Browse through these poasts
"The only difference is that the private sector doesn't have to report any of their issues."

LOL.

Here's a question for everyone: Is healthcare a human right?

As others have stated, having access to healthcare is a human right. The government should make sure there are ample hospitals to care for everyone. However insurance is not a human right. Being given money to pay for healthcare is not a human right. I do think that there should be steps taken to make sure that pharma companies and doctors don't price gouge. And severely cutting down on medical malpractice lawsuit payouts would help cut the cost as well. But at the end of the day, if you can't pay for whatever care you need (or if you haven't forged good enough relationships with others for them to offer to help pay) - sorry bro...

That depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are talking about free healthcare and/or free college education, then we have neither the money or means.
I'm not advocating free college, though college expenses need to be reined in.

We absolutely have the means to provide basic healthcare for everyone in this country. We just don't have the commitment to do so.

Reactions: strummingram
I would love to see congress appoint a panel taken from both sides to study healthcare in other countries. Find out what works and what doesn't and put together a healthcare system that will work for our country. We have proven that we will never have quality healthcare until both sides of the aisle have skin in the system

As others have stated, having access to healthcare is a human right. The government should make sure there are ample hospitals to care for everyone. However insurance is not a human right. Being given money to pay for healthcare is not a human right. I do think that there should be steps taken to make sure that pharma companies and doctors don't price gouge. And severely cutting down on medical malpractice lawsuit payouts would help cut the cost as well. But at the end of the day, if you can't pay for whatever care you need (or if you haven't forged good enough relationships with others for them to offer to help pay) - sorry bro...
This model is bankrupting the system

I would love to see congress appoint a panel taken from both sides to study healthcare in other countries. Find out what works and what doesn't and put together a healthcare system that will work for our country. We have proven that we will never have quality healthcare until both sides of the aisle have skin in the system
Another congressional panel, ok. They can't get together and decide where to eat much less anything else. The only thing they can agree to is giving themselves a raise and exempting themselves from Obamacare.

This is my view.

Also, the whole institution of insurance makes everything tricky though. Basically if you don't have insurance, you can't afford to get sick more than a couple times a year..... because prices are so high, due to insurance. It's a circle.

What exactly is basic healthcare to you?
That is tough to define. Everyone is going to have varying ideas. Regardless, we can't continue to guarantee HC access and not fund it. The % of HC per GDP spending is already shameful

This is my view.

Also, the whole institution of insurance makes everything tricky though. Basically if you don't have insurance, you can't afford to get sick more than a couple times a year..... because prices are so high, due to insurance. It's a circle.
So identify cost drivers and begin to eliminate them

Oh good grief. Here is the last sentence from the first paragraph of that article.
But when hospitals are at fault, most of the time they never tell you.
"Most of the time" means that more than half of all adverse events are never disclosed. The author fails to provide any objectively verifiable support whatsoever for such an asinine comment. That's because it's demonstrably false.

As a condition of participation, Medicare requires healthcare providers to report adverse events like surgical infections, healthcare-acquired infections, and death. It's all publicly available information. Providers' payments from Medicare, Medicaid, and managed care payers like Aetna, Blue Cross, Cigna, United, etc. are all impacted by patient safety processes and outcomes that are reflected in claims data and medical records. Providers also voluntarily report patient safety information to dozens of other organizations like the Department of Health and Human Services, Joint Commission, Centers for Disease Control, Federal Drug Administration, Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research, National Committee for Quality Assurance, etc.

Reactions: nctransplant
What do you propose?
Not exactly sure. I do believe insurance should be a la carte. Let consumers decide what they want and don't want. Somewhere in Kansas there are doctors that charge a monthly fee and all basic procedures are covered. I'm sure one would need catastrophic coverage but the idea has promise. I'll have to see exactly where it is and what they are doing.

Oh good grief. Here is the last sentence from the first paragraph of that article.

"Most of the time" means that more than half of all adverse events are never disclosed. The author fails to provide any objectively verifiable support whatsoever for such an asinine comment. That's because it's demonstrably false.

As a condition of participation, Medicare requires healthcare providers to report adverse events like surgical infections, healthcare-acquired infections, and death. It's all publicly available information. Providers' payments from Medicare, Medicaid, and managed care payers like Aetna, Blue Cross, Cigna, United, etc. are all impacted by patient safety processes and outcomes that are reflected in claims data and medical records. Providers also voluntarily report patient safety information to dozens of other organizations like the Department of Health and Human Services, Joint Commission, Centers for Disease Control, Federal Drug Administration, Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research, National Committee for Quality Assurance, etc.
Would you say private hospitals are held to the same standard and produce as much transparency as do VA Hospitals?

Not exactly sure. I do believe insurance should be a la carte. Let consumers decide what they want and don't want. Somewhere in Kansas there are doctors that charge a monthly fee and all basic procedures are covered. I'm sure one would need catastrophic coverage but the idea has promise. I'll have to see exactly where it is and what they are doing.
That doesn't solve cost issues

This is my view.

http://khn.org/news/health-care-costs/

Seven Factors Driving Up Your Health Care Costs
1. We pay our doctors, hospitals and other medical providers in ways that reward doing more, rather than being efficient.
2. We’re growing older, sicker and fatter.
3. We want new drugs, technologies, services and procedures.
4. We get tax breaks on buying health insurance — and the cost to patients of seeking care is often low.
5. We don’t have enough information to make decisions on which medical care is best for us.
6. Our hospitals and other providers are increasingly gaining market share and are better able to demand higher prices.
7. We have supply and demand problems, and legal issues that complicate efforts to slow spending.

This article is a little dated but still mostly accurate. The ACA, which so many people claim to dislike despite not truly understanding, actually attempts to tackle most of these issues.

So identify cost drivers and begin to eliminate them
Here's an example for you. I am having neck issues. Doctor suggests cauterizing the nerves, if that doesn't work I'm looking at a fusion. Insurance company made me do a month of therapy before I can get the shots. My fricken neck is worse since therapy plus there went a month of $$$$$ to worthless therapy. Doctors should decide my treatment, not insurance companies.

You said our current healthcare model is bankrupting the system. That's ridiculous.
You think the current HC model is sustainable?

To your other post, I meant uninsured being treated were driving up the cost of services, which are then passed on to those with insurance. Which is then passed on to higher premiums. It's a chicken/egg deal.

And you and I are mostly on the same page here. Republicans not taking money to shore up the exchanges has greatly impacted the efficacy of ACA. The ACA was geared to get more people on insurance to stabilize cost.

Last, I was just reading up and didn't realize how staggering the costof high claimant patients is for us.

Another congressional panel, ok. They can't get together and decide where to eat much less anything else. The only thing they can agree to is giving themselves a raise and exempting themselves from Obamacare.
Well, like I said, we have proven one party acting alone, can't do it, so what's your plan?

True. I also have the means to go give the homeless guy on the corner $5,000 cash. Neither would be good for my long term financial solvency.
Terrible analogy. We operate a reactionary healthcare system. We should move to a preventative one. A healthy populous is a win for everyone. Great companies know this and not only provide HC, but create ways to encourage employees to become healthier.

I meant uninsured being treated were driving up the cost of services, which are then passed on to those with insurance. Which is then passed on to higher premiums.

Yes, this is the problem. The people with insurance are subsidizing those that don't. As I said, if you don't have insurance, or can't pay for the services needed.... you don't get the services.

No ticky, no laundry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT