ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Newsome touches on problems in Democratic Party

6% is very little to get a lifetime pension in return
That all depends on the pension calculations. Government: Federal, state, and local have been reducing the payout calculations for years.So to say a "lifetime pension" is not the same as it was 30 years ago. Just like Social Security. Its ponzi scheme. People have to die early so that the dead folks $ can be given to others.

Reactions: tarheel0910
So we let people die in the streets? Honest question.

geez, melodramatic much?? i sooooo remember prior to Obamacare having to weave my way around all the street corpses o_O

so yes, if you do not have insurance, budget for medical care and pay cash when needed. of course this would require income, which starts with gainful employment, which starts with personal responsibility and work ethic - two traits that are desperately lacking from the societal healthcare leeches, of all races.

it's not rocket science. health insurance (like car insurance, homeowners insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, etc etc) is not a right -- you have to EARN it or pay for medical costs out of pocket. of course this might mean you dont have the latest and greatest iPhone or a $600 car payment or a fake life lived on credit cards .. God forbid you make sacrifices and prioritize your life. Medicaid exists for those who are truly stuck, unable to work and earn an income and obtain health insurance. the rest of society needs to sack up and stop waiting for a hand out.

UNC Health Care, Carolinas HealthCare System to merge and form one of the country’s largest nonprofit systems

This is huge news. What's really interesting is that Carolinas HealthCare System is currently under a DOJ investigation for price gouging. They're basically flipping off the feds with this announcement.

My buddy told me this news on Friday afternoon. He works for UNC Medical and left a meeting at 3:00 pm on Friday when that was announced. The way he tells it was that for the time being, the two systems will create a parent company that will manage both independently.

*didn't open link

Also, republicans did their best to neuter ACA by not accepting money. @Raising Heel has to agree with me on that.
Republican opposition to Medicaid expansion -- which is what I assume you're referring to -- served two main purposes. One, it weakened the impact of the ACA. Two, it eliminated a need for those states to dedicate additional dollars to their Medicaid programs.

We could argue the significance of the first point all day, so I won't bother. The second point is the one that deserves discussion from a pragmatic standpoint.

The federal government paid 100% of the costs for newly eligible Medicaid beneficiaries between 2014 and 2016. That number will gradually decrease to 90% by 2020, meaning the states will have to pay the remaining 10%. North Carolinians' federal tax dollars are subsidizing Medicaid in other states that chose to expand it. That's a bitter pill to swallow.

So what would be the impact of that 10% burden? North Carolina spends an average of $5,356 per Medicaid enrollee each year. Medicaid expansion would add roughly 500,000 new enrollees in the state. That would mean an additional $2.68 billion in costs of which NC would pay $268 million (10%) at most. That represents a 6.1% increase in expenditures from 2016's budget of $4.4 billion. That's not insignificant.

The question then becomes whether it's a worthwhile investment. Studies have repeatedly shown the importance of preventative and chronic care in reducing healthcare costs. Consider the population who would most likely be affected by Medicaid expansion, and you're talking about people who will either delay care or forgo it entirely because they can't afford it. Then they end up presenting at the Emergency Room -- the most expensive site of care -- for an issue that could've been addressed much sooner. Same idea with cancer screenings -- breast cancer, colorectal cancer, etc. -- all of which are much easier and cheaper to treat with early detection. Same idea with chronic conditions like congestive heart failure, etc.

You also have to consider that higher numbers of uninsured patients hurts providers, who must provide more uncompensated care. That ends up hurting taxpayers because it means less state tax revenue, and it also drives up premiums for people who buy private insurance.

There's not necessarily a "right" answer to Medicaid expansion. You're guaranteed to spend more money without any guaranteed outcomes. Personally, though, I tend to lean towards the old adage that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you want to be a bleeding heart about it, it also means less human pain and suffering.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure @dadika13 put you on ignore.

Well, I know he watches gary's poasts like a hawk. So I'll just get gary to start quoting me. I'll throw a few bones gary's way like referencing blown assists and referring to Berry as "Lil' Dog" and it will be a partnership made in heaven.

Republican opposition to Medicaid expansion -- which is what I assume you're referring to -- served two main purposes. One, it weakened the impact of the ACA. Two, it eliminated a need for those states to dedicate additional dollars to their Medicaid programs.

We could argue the significance of the first point all day, so I won't bother. The second point is the one that deserves discussion from a pragmatic standpoint.

The federal government paid 100% of the costs for newly eligible Medicaid beneficiaries between 2014 and 2016. That number will gradually decrease to 90% by 2020, meaning the states will have to pay the remaining 10%. North Carolinians' federal tax dollars are subsidizing Medicaid in other states that chose to expand it. That's a bitter pill to swallow.

So what would be the impact of that 10% burden? North Carolina spends an average of $5,356 per Medicaid enrollee each year. Medicaid expansion would add roughly 500,000 new enrollees in the state. That would mean an additional $2.68 billion in costs of which NC would pay $268 million (10%) at most. That represents a 6.1% increase in expenditures from 2016's budget of $4.4 billion. That's not insignificant.

The question then becomes whether it's a worthwhile investment. Studies have repeatedly shown the importance of preventative and chronic care in reducing healthcare costs. Consider the population who would most likely be affected by Medicaid expansion, and you're talking about people who will either delay care or forgo it entirely because they can't afford it. Then they end up presenting at the Emergency Room -- the most expensive site of care -- for an issue that could've been addressed much sooner. Same idea with cancer screenings -- breast cancer, colorectal cancer, etc. -- all of which are much easier and cheaper to treat with early detection. Same idea with chronic conditions like congestive heart failure, etc.

You also have to consider that higher numbers of uninsured patients hurts providers, who must provide more uncompensated care. That ends up hurting taxpayers because it means less state tax revenue, and it also drives up premiums for people who buy private insurance.

There's not necessarily a "right" answer to Medicaid expansion. You're guaranteed to spend more money without any guaranteed outcomes. Personally, though, I tend to lean towards the old adage that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you want to be a bleeding heart about it, it also means less human pain and suffering.
So how long before we get to Single Payer?

DUMs run their party like they have run most cities since the 1950s, into the ground.
dnc-broke.png

Reactions: NoleSoup4U
Big move by Newsome to scrap the high speed rail project in California. Pissed of a lot of Dems. Dude will be president

No. Gavin is way right of Bernie. He’s pragmatic and pro business.

I've heard Newsom's platform. He's nowhere near as far to the right of Bernie as you think he is. This whole narrative about Bernie being anti-business is just wrong.

I've heard Newsom's platform. He's nowhere near as far to the right of Bernie as you think he is. This whole narrative about Bernie being anti-business is just wrong.
And you have followed Newsome for long. He’s not nearly as left as he came off during his campaign.

And you have followed Newsome for long. He’s not nearly as left as he came off during his campaign.

I've actually been following Newsom for awhile. I remember seeing him on Bill Maher several years back, and I've been a fan since then.

Reactions: gteeitup
You.

Again, Gavin is way right of Bernie and a lot of current Dems. He’s been a successful businessman.

Also, Bernie is not pro-business.

He supports universal healthcare, including for illegal immigrants. He supports at least two years of tuition free community college. Wants the grid to be completely powered by renewable energy. Wants to put a huge emphasis on ending homelessness and poverty. Being a successful businessman doesn’t change the fact that his platform is eerily similar to Bernie’s.

Criticizing companies that abuse their employees and consumers doesn’t make someone anti-business. I’d bet I know Bernie’s platform better than anyone here, and I don’t see any reason to think he is anti-business. He may be anti coal and gas business, but many of policies would help small business owners. Single payer healthcare takes the burden of insurance off of employers, and helps out business owners a lot.

He supports universal healthcare, including for illegal immigrants. He supports at least two years of tuition free community college. Wants the grid to be completely powered by renewable energy. Wants to put a huge emphasis on ending homelessness and poverty. Being a successful businessman doesn’t change the fact that his platform is eerily similar to Bernie’s.

Criticizing companies that abuse their employees and consumers doesn’t make someone anti-business. I’d bet I know Bernie’s platform better than anyone here, and I don’t see any reason to think he is anti-business. He may be anti coal and gas business, but many of policies would help small business owners. Single payer healthcare takes the burden of insurance off of employers, and helps out business owners a lot.
Great. More free stuff. Where do I sign up?

I wouldn't worry about it. He couldn't pull it off as mayor, he won't be able to pull it off as governor, and if he ever miraculously does get elected as president, he won't be able to pull it off their either. He's just another modern day snake oil salesman.

First of all, I disagree with illegal immigrants getting covered by single payer. I don't want someone to die in an ER, so emergency treatment is one thing, but only citizens should benefit from single payer.

And nobody is trying to sell that as free healthcare. It comes out of your taxes. Other countries who have adopted similar models get better health outcomes for cheaper. And their infrastructure is nowhere near as extensive as ours.

Tuition free community college is a good move IMO. But it still isn't technically free. It gets paid for with tax revenue. We blow lots of money on stupid shit already, why not trim some of that fat, and spend our tax dollars on things that actually benefit the public?

This "free stuff" argument is tiresome. We know how taxes work. We just disagree on how we should spend the money. Nobody thinks this stuff is going to magically pay for itself.

First of all, I disagree with illegal immigrants getting covered by single payer. I don't want someone to die in an ER, so emergency treatment is one thing, but only citizens should benefit from single payer.

And nobody is trying to sell that as free healthcare. It comes out of your taxes. Other countries who have adopted similar models get better health outcomes for cheaper. And their infrastructure is nowhere near as extensive as ours.

Tuition free community college is a good move IMO. But it still isn't technically free. It gets paid for with tax revenue. We blow lots of money on stupid shit already, why not trim some of that fat, and spend our tax dollars on things that actually benefit the public?

This "free stuff" argument is tiresome. We know how taxes work. We just disagree on how we should spend the money. Nobody thinks this stuff is going to magically pay for itself.

Why not trim the fat and allow for more economic growth?

Higher levels of government spending is associated with higher rates of economic growth.

Uh huh. It must be all the government waste that drives the economy.

Edit: I always find it interesting when Keynesians make the claim that more corruption will yield higher growth rates.

Last edited:

If you keep illegals off the government system they will just use the ER as their primary care provider, which means that all of us would still pay.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Uh huh. It must be all the government waste that drives the economy.

Edit: I always find it interesting when Keynesians make the claim that more corruption will yield higher growth rates.

Are you actually so simple minded that you reduce government spending to “corruption” or “waste?”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT